• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf / Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational |OT| You're invited too!

is "Iceman" still an unlockable character?

and can you still taunt people with "swimmin in the lake"?

Me and my friend would play hot shots ALL FUCKING DAY. such a great series.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Awesome!

PSN: AstroLad

I have next week off so I'm going to be hitting this game hard once I get it, hopefully Wednesday.

spectyre

Open Tee was probably my most played PSP title. I don't know if it's just me, but I actually preferred Hot Shots portable to the PS2/PS3 games.

Gaf: spectyre
SEN: spectyre

see ya on the links

Carl

Definitely getting the download version of this.

Can't wait to play asynchronous multiplayer on my 3G Vita ;)

newsguy

Open Tee was probably my most played PSP title. I don't know if it's just me, but I actually preferred Hot Shots portable to the PS2/PS3 games.

Gaf: spectyre
SEN: spectyre

see ya on the links

Same here. The RPG elements made it way more addictive.

PSN : JohnnieWalkerBLK

frequency

I've been playing this for the last hour or two.

It's fun. But I wish there was a tutorial or something. I don't know what the moving dots mean when trying to putt. And I don't know what the thing at the bottom right is. It looks like I can hit the ball in different spots but I don't know how to move it.
And one time I hit the ball and it went on fire, but I have no idea how I did it.

EDIT: Figures I get a hole in one right after I post this. Heh. Still no idea how that stuff works though.

How does this compare feature wise to Everybodys Golf 2 on psp?
Courses? Characters? Customisation?

Severely lacking when it comes to courses. Not sure about the other categories. Only 6 courses in the Vita game. Many more in HSG2 on PSP. Can't believe they're still charging 30 bucks on PSN for HSG2.

Duffyside

Banned
PSN: Duffyside

Can't wait. Played the Out of Bounds demo for like 50 hours, and refused to buy it because I knew I wanted the first one that came with trophies. Well, here it is, the magnificent bastard.

Jeff-DSA

I picked this up today.

PSN: jar155

It's actually my first Hot Shots Golf, so I'm pretty excited. Hopefully it scratches my itch for wanting another Mario Golf.

madmackem

It's fun. But I wish there was a tutorial or something. I don't know what the moving dots mean when trying to putt. And I don't know what the thing at the bottom right is. It looks like I can hit the ball in different spots but I don't know how to move it.
And one time I hit the ball and it went on fire, but I have no idea how I did it.

EDIT: Figures I get a hole in one right after I post this. Heh. Still no idea how that stuff works though.

The dots on the green when your putting show you the run of the green.

Damn this game is addictive. I've always been aware of the Hot Shots Golf series and played the demo of a few of them (remember playing the demo of the first one quite a bit, actually), but never actually bought one...until now. I should've bought into the series a long time ago, because it's really great. Deeper than I remember, although some of that is probably new gameplay additions over the years (super spins, etc.).

But yeah, the game can be pretty tough in the later challenges. Currently on Bronze and getting my ass handed to me. The game even pulled a Devil May Cry "would you like to play Easy Mode like a little bitch?" option after a few consecutive losses. :( To hell with that!

Can't wait for the Online stuff to go live, it's sure to be fun.

Oh, and for those that have the game, does the chick at the menu always say "aren't you tired?" everytime you return to the menu for you as well?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
frequency said:
In fact, it looks a lot like Pangya, minus the Korean flare.
That would be because Pangya was a HotShots Clone first and foremost.

Anyway joining in on the fun, just bought this last night.

frequency

The dots on the green when your putting show you the run of the green.

Yeah I figured it out finally. After like... 4 hours. I still suck though. But thank you.
I also figured out how to spin the ball and stuff.

The game actually has a manual in the livearea. It's a pretty good manual that explains a lot of things and tells you how to do special shots and stuff.

I got through the Beginner challenges pretty easily. But I hit a wall in the second one (Harvest Hill) of the Amateur challenges. I can never get better than 3 and I'm always getting bogeys.

After a while the game was like "You can turn on easy mode with no penalties!"
I feel bad about myself.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

The moving spots are showing the speed of the slope on the green. The speed the dots are moving are proportional to how fast your ball will drift in that direction as it moves toward the hole.

A really good way to get used to putting is to drop the camera down right on the green... eye level right on the ground and imagine your ball moving forward. Try to use the moving dots to calculate the drift and compensate for it with your aim.

Sounds kinda complicated, but it's really not.

Hotshots is almost 90% strategy. It's a little mathy too. Easy math... but you really have to learn to work the percentages. The most important information in this game (for getting really good) is the stuff in the bottom right. ;P

frequency

Bought this already, looks good. Anyone get to try the AR stuff yet? What are the touch screen/pad used for?

Besides menus and stuff, touch screen can be used to aim. You can also touch trees and animals and stuff for fun. Trees will rustle or whatever and animals get an ! icon and stare at you. Back touch screen shows distance between the ball and the spot you're touching and the flag thingy. It also shows elevation.

I didn't know this game had AR stuff? I don't see it anywhere. Maybe it's online? Nothing is online yet. If you try to go online it says it's unavailable until 2/15.

If you just mean the general Vita AR cards, it says to download stuff on PSN. But none of it is up on PSN yet. Only PSP stuff and like 4 games (Uncharted, HSG, Wipeout, and Modnation) are up on Vita PSN.

I only use the touch screen to "aim". I don't really even aim with it. I tap it and it zooms the camera up and over to my ball so I can see where it's actually going to land. Then I "aim" with the d-pad. I just like to zoom to the ball faster. I don't like pressing the select button to zoom because it's unnatural for me to move my fingers that way.

mo1518

Neo Member
Grabbed this off the PSN last night, played through the beginner challenges. Really great stuff! But I won one match with a crown rating as opposed to just the regular star rating, and I noticed there's a trophy to win each match with crown rating - but the game doesn't tell you what the requirements are to get that crown. Should be fun (or frustratingly fun) trying to figure out what each challenge's crown requirements are.

depward

I'm really interested in this, as I enjoyed all Hot Shots titles I've played. This could push me over the edge to pick up a Vita. However, I'm now in a point in my life (married, have newborn) where I have some very specific needs for games.

I'll be keeping an eye out on impressions... but if anyone knows the answers now, that would be great.

1) Are servers global or are they split by region? I know the HSG community is very strong in Japan; stronger than the NA community, no less. So if they were global servers, that would be a big plus.

2) How long does it take from boot up the game --> playing an online game? One thing that always got to me with the PSP is whenever you wanted to play anything online... it would take FOREVER to connect, to load, to initialize, etc.

3) The daily tournament stuff is intriguing but I can't find anything about it. Leaderboard stuff for it?

hort22

Played 3 holes twice in the demo at a GameStop...now I'm hoping things look better in the retail...to me it looked like the ps3 version really dulled down...can anyone confirm that retail is sharper then the demo...

Also in the demo gauge and circle are the 2 shot types and I'm a reg trad player...do I have to unlock that in the retail copy?

frequency

I never played the demo, but the retail version does look... less than stellar.
The gauge and circle thing are the only 2 shot types you start with. You have unlock the rest with rank and the game currency.

Man... the first, last and only game in the series I played was on PSX and I think it was HSG2. I remember playing the demo like 20 times, haha. Maybe I'll get this if I find it cheap.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
frequency said:
I never played the demo, but the retail version does look... less than stellar.
Which is something it has in common with the PS3 game (not to mention PSP ones).
Visually the two things that stick out to me compared to PS3 game is that Vita game actually has AA, which mostly shows on characters looking smoother. But it sadly completely abandons mipmaps in good old Japan-studio fashion (PS3 game at least mipmapped the terrain, even though trees looked just as shimmery as the other HSG games), so texture aliasing is pretty jarring.

web01 said:
How does this compare feature wise to Everybodys Golf 2 on psp?
Courses? Characters? Customisation?
Character customization offers similar variety like the PSP games (customizing individual cloth pieces etc.) but I don't think it has quite as many accessory types (more dress and shoe types though).
Either way it's way better then the PS3 game in that respect.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Psn for vita = KlawUK.

(stupid region restrictions). Will add everyone later, this psn account is empty right now

Top Bottom