• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf / Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational |OT| You're invited too!

krae_man

sorry meant for on drives and and stuff

I always winged those, I never used a ratio since factoring in wind too is just too much math in my head :lol.

Besides I always find the slope of the green/fairway where your ball initially lands tends to have more impact on where your ball ends up.

frequency

I just wanted to say how jarring it is to see all that math in a thread where people tell you HSG is so approachable.

I'm never math-ing stuff in Pangya.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I just wanted to say how jarring it is to see all that math in a thread where people tell you HSG is so approachable.

"Approachable" as in babygame no. Hopefully no one thinks this other than that IGN reviewer.

That said 99% of people don't do any math at all and just like real golf you just get a good feel for things. No math is going to be perfect anyway because of all the variables in play.

frequency

"Approachable" as in babygame no. Hopefully no one thinks this other than that IGN reviewer.

That said 99% of people don't do any math at all and just like real golf you just get a good feel for things. No math is going to be perfect anyway because of all the variables in play.

I'm not complaining. I just find it jarring.

I've just been guessing with all my putts.

And when I saw a post that was supposed to help newbies (because I suck at putting), I was so excited. Like a quarter of the way through I'm like... MATH, and my head starting spinning.

I think I'll stick to just playing and hoping I eventually get a feel for it.

TheExodu5

Banned
You definitely get a feel for it. I use the numbers to help me, but I work with fuzzy logic in general. Is this uphill? I'll hit it a bit harder. Is it downhill? I'll hit it a bit softer. Putts are the same...you just need to factor in the fact that the line of your putt will depend not only on the slope, but on the speed of your putt.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
You definitely get a feel for it. I use the numbers to help me, but I work with fuzzy logic in general. Is this uphill? I'll hit it a bit harder. Is it downhill? I'll hit it a bit softer. Putts are the same...you just need to factor in the fact that the line of your putt will depend not only on the slope, but on the speed of your putt.

Exactly this is what I do.

The nice thing about the math is that you know there's real physics underlying the game, not BS auto-lock stuff like Tiger Woods and pretty much every other golf game. Doesn't mean you need to learn it though. Having a feel for the game is far more important.

TheExodu5

Banned
Haven't played Tiger Woods in aged...what is this auto-lock nonsense?

Also, I recall in HSG5, people were kind of cheesing by landing outside of the green all the time since it was far easier to sink a chip by hitting the pin than it was putting it in directly. Has this been addressed?

addyb

I cannot wait to play this game!!! Last time I was as excited about a game was Dark Souls.

I have a question that I don't think has been answered. Are the only options online the daily tourneys and 8 player lobbies?

Can you not just have 2 players and be able to watch each others shots?

Not a deal breaker for me in anyway, just wondered.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Dude you made that way more complicated they it needs to be and why did you start with putt strength percentage and end with putt strenth in feet.

If anything you should have went

flag percentage 50%
uphill: 0.3 feet
max putt - 30 feet

did you math and came up with 60% strength on a 30 foot putt meter as your answer.

What? My examples gave a percentage and then a footage to compare with so you can get a feel for what your number represents.

And your example says thar a 50% flag (15 ft putt) would add 10% power (3 ft) and give you 60% power (18 ft). Which again was done to show you that an uphill putt from 15 ft away requires about the same power as a flat 18 ft putt, or 60% on the 30 ft putt scale.

On phone, so sorry if choppy. Does that make more sense?

Number45

I've played a good amount of EG2 on the PSP and gotten pretty good at it without ever needing to think about the maths. Pure trial and error while learning, and then applying that to the shot and conditions that are presented to you - seems more natural to me that way.

PC on line used to be filled with the math guys and they were beasts (havent played PC in awhile just saying thats all)...i dont and never been a math guy in this...you just get a feel for everything after awhile.

This game just went from 0 to retarded real quick...i have NEVER scored so badly in my hsg career :/

frequency

PC on line used to be filled with the math guys and they were beasts (havent played PC in awhile just saying thats all)...i dont and never been a math guy in this...you just get a feel for everything after awhile.

This game just went from 0 to retarded real quick...i have NEVER scored so badly in my hsg career :/

I played the online version once because I liked the PSP one so much. I was in there with some other low level people who played like perfectly and berated me because I was learning. That was uninstalled within 30 minutes.

Also, the difficulty spikes are certainly there. I don't get as frustrated as the IGN guy does, but his criticisms aren't wrong. You can play a perfect game and mess it all up with 1 mistake. For some people, that can be really frustrating.

People are saying it's like real golf... well I didn't come for a sim. And this game isn't presented like a sim. I want fun over realism every time.
But with that said, I'm still really enjoying this game. I just stopped doing the challenges for a while because I just can't progress anymore.

Also, the difficulty spikes are certainly there. I don't get as frustrated as the IGN guy does, but his criticisms aren't wrong. You can play a perfect game and mess it all up with 1 mistake.

People are saying it's like real golf... well I didn't come for a sim. I want fun over realism every time.
But with that said, I'm still really enjoying this game. I just stopped doing the challenges for a while because I just can't progress anymore.

werd.

i just bought escape plan cause it was either have a go-to game or risk slamming my Vita into the wall (i was getting pretty mad before lol). Overall I am enjoying it alot and am withholding content judgements till I get all the way through....but as its looking so far, it looks like they exchanged content for tediousness but well see.

anddo0

Sucks that you can't repeat daily tourneys. I played the Mega Cup, and was -2 until the 8th hole. I got stuck on some stupid hill, and ended the 8th +6. I ultimately finished +4 :(

edit: Maybe they'll patch the difficulty?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
CAT LOBBY 1, STARTING IN 12-15 MINUTES SO GET IN NOW!

MAPLE LEAF 9H #16

Had to quit the first game since no one showed up ><

Maedhros

I played the online version once because I liked the PSP one so much. I was in there with some other low level people who played like perfectly and berated me because I was learning. That was uninstalled within 30 minutes.

Also, the difficulty spikes are certainly there. I don't get as frustrated as the IGN guy does, but his criticisms aren't wrong. You can play a perfect game and mess it all up with 1 mistake. For some people, that can be really frustrating.

People are saying it's like real golf... well I didn't come for a sim. And this game isn't presented like a sim. I want fun over realism every time.

You can always return/sell your HSG.

What do I need to do to get better? Feels like I'm hitting a bar, haven't bought anything.

When I do something risky, I have a high chance of fail, but if I keep it safe, I get bogeys and everyone gets ahead of me.

Duffyside

Banned
I love this game, but it confuses me. Can I upgrade my character? I just unlocked the Bronze character, and would like to use them, but their stats are even, if not worse (they're worse) than the character below that I'm currently using. Can I make Ds Cs and Cs Bs and so on? How do I make a character better?

frequency

Aww, I was just about to get into another tournament and I got disconnected. I can't get back on now. :(
I never had connection issues before.

Is the 1w impact small on the old school meter shot type as well? Just the flat meter.

yes.

guy #1: I got a idea....lets make a sandhole!!!
guy #3: Thats stupid.....WE NEED 3 Right next to eachother!!!
Final guy: Add some trees and itll be perfect.

i hate all 3 of these people.

did score#4 on a daily, so that made me feel decent about myself after a day full of hsg fail....missed a easy eagle that wouldve got me top 3 i think :/

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
You're LoH avatar makes you quite the likable chap Jack!

And you can get the old horizontal shot meter? I need it now!

you never done math at pangya? I never played pangya personally, but a friend of mine that used to play it on PC tell me that there's math formula to it that can guarantee him great shots everytime, even getting hole in one in par 3 courses. he said the whole game of pangaya is basically math courses.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Blah missed out on the tourney earlier this evening. I'll be available to play Sunday night or so if we want to get another going then.

Duffyside

Banned
I love this game, but it confuses me. Can I upgrade my character? I just unlocked the Bronze character, and would like to use them, but their stats are even, if not worse (they're worse) than the character below that I'm currently using. Can I make Ds Cs and Cs Bs and so on? How do I make a character better?

Bumping this in case someone comes into the thread who likes me...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Character upgrades come from gear and equipment. Loyalty also helps, but the highest I've gotten anyone is like, 4, so I don't know if stats change later.

And Pangya is a lot like Hot Shots, but...different? I would say just YouTube a few videos, haha. Items play a big role in Pangya, at least they do in the PC version.

Character upgrades come from gear and equipment. Loyalty also helps, but the highest I've gotten anyone is like, 4, so I don't know if stats change later.

And Pangya is a lot like Hot Shots, but...different? I would say just YouTube a few videos, haha. Items play a big role in Pangya, at least they do in the PC version.
4 is the highest (max) no stat upgrades for loyalty except last one which gives you bonus accuracy on a perfect impact hit.

pangya psp and hsg psp are pretty close to one another....clothes/accessories build you up, power shots etc etc.

pangya did have a crap story but i liked the overall theme better

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Ah ok, then the highest I have is 3. Just checked - the Hawaiin girl is my most used at the moment. The new girl you unlock on the intermediate ring at the end is pretty rad, too. We will see how the character options progress...haha

Duffyside

Banned
as you win matches and get a better rank youll build up overall (all characters at once I believe)....you can makeup stats with balls and clubs as well

Hm, I'm Golf Level 12 and I don't think any character's stats have gone up, but I could be wrong. Thanks for the reply.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hm, I'm Golf Level 12 and I don't think any character's stats have gone up, but I could be wrong. Thanks for the reply.

Loyalty improves power and impact a little. Pretty marginal though. Also gives you a few more power shots. The rest is all tweaking via equipment. Give up a little spin get a little control, etc. There are multiple levels of clubs and balls, but yeah grinding won't get you an ubercharacter or anything you pretty much just have to get better through practice and then select equipment based on the challenge at hand.

Top Bottom