• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3D demo on eShop this week

Is the codec still present in this version? (Usable at anytime, not the forced calls.)

Yes, you can use the codec at any time. I don't know who started the rumor, but everything has been voiced so far, including Paramedic's lengthy chats about movies.

In fact, they recorded new dialogue (which stands out) for the touch screen functionality. New audio isn't blended very well.

-Game tracks all your stats in real time, which is a huge difference from the original. I remember thinking I had 0 alerts back in the game, only to complete the game and find out the game recorded 1 at some point.
-Game also tracks your stats across all play troughs.
-Extreme difficulty = game ends when spotted.

That's cool and useful at the same time. I think extreme was like that on the original already though, but I'm not really sure.

Thanks.

kunonabi

Damn, I guess I can cross this off my list then. I'll be sticking with my PS2 copy. I so wanted this to be good. I like the additions and controls but the framerate just kills it for me. PS2 level would have been acceptable but oh well.

Boney

Banned
Hate European Extreme because the game ends inmediatly, it doesn't give you a chance to knock out the enemy before he calls for back up. That's where it should end.

So no regular extreme? disapointed

Damn, I guess I can cross this off my list then. I'll be sticking with my PS2 copy. I so wanted this to be good. I like the additions and controls but the framerate just kills it for me. PS2 level would have been acceptable but oh well.

The gulf between the 3DS and PS2 versions, perform-wise, is pretty tiny, if there even is one. And graphically, this version is superior In many ways so far.

It's the HD version and the 3DS one that has everyone at odds -- rightfully so.

Ridley327

Yes, you can use the codec at any time. I don't know who started the rumor, but everything has been voiced so far, including Paramedic's lengthy chats about movies.

In fact, they recorded new dialogue (which stands out) for the touch screen functionality. New audio isn't blended very well.

Crisis averted, then!

I'm definitely expecting the same level of disparity in audio when the Vita versions of those games came out, since they're also doing new VA for the control differences.

kunonabi

The gulf between the 3DS and PS2 versions, perform-wise, is pretty tiny, if there even is one. And graphically, this version is superior In many ways so far.

It's the HD version and the 3DS one that has everyone at odds -- rightfully so.

I don't remember the cutscenes in the ps2 version looking that atrocious.

Emitan

Hate European Extreme because the game ends inmediatly, it doesn't give you a chance to knock out the enemy before he calls for back up. That's where it should end.

So no regular extreme? disapointed

I think the point is that no one knew you were there. Even if you knock out that soldier, he's gonna wake up and know. But I've never played MGS3 so yeah

OmegaZero

How does the game perform so far at Chyornyj Prud (the area where you get the Croc Cap)?
I remember that area caused a largely noticeable framerate drop in the PS2 versions for me.

Ridley327

How does the game perform so far at Chyornyj Prud (the area where you get the Croc Cap)?
I remember that area caused a largely noticeable framerate drop.

That was actually a really weird place in Subsistence, since the frame drop didn't happen with the third-person camera, but as soon as you clicked R3, it was back to slowdown city.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Buuuuuuut, the |OT|? Who will open it? What about the thread title

Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D |OT| Sneaking, now in 3D

or

Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D |OT| Framerate, framerate, FRAMERAAAATEEEEEEE!!!

OmegaZero

That was actually a really weird place in Subsistence, since the frame drop didn't happen with the third-person camera, but as soon as you clicked R3, it was back to slowdown city.

Haha, yeah, that was a odd moment for me.
And then shortly afterward, I found out why you shouldn't stay near crocs in the water.

Buuuuuuut, the |OT|? Who will open it? What about the thread title

Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D |OT| Sneaking, now in 3D

or

Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D |OT| Framerate, framerate, FRAMERAAAATEEEEEEE!!!

The second one.
Well, actually, more like "Framerate? Framerate?! FRAAAAAMERAAAAAAAAAAAATE!!"

Wait, so did anyone claim the OT? I might do it, if no one else is.

Buuuuut, I don't think the thread title should be something negative. That doesn't give a good impression to potential buyers. It should be mentioned in the body of the OT though. :p

Code_Link

IMG_20120218_121251.jpg

I will post impressions in an hour, then maybe a video, if the final game is improved.

If it's not, well, you'll definitely hear me bitch about it.

I like how the knife has a 3D effect in that picture...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
A much more positive thread title?

Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D |OT| Snake, the grass pops out. Watch out.

Just been skimming the thread, so excuse me if I've missed anything significant. but would it be fair to say that the demo currently up on the Euro eShop is representative of the final retail version?

Veal

I was playing the original today and I noticed that the frame rate was far from rock solid on PS2. Maybe the reason the frame drops are more evident in this version is from the lack of blur they used to interpolate frames in the original? That was one of the first things I noticed in the demo. Lack of motion blur. Pre-order still stands.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I was playing the original today and I noticed that the frame rate was far from rock solid on PS2. Maybe the reason the frame drops are more evident in this version is from the lack of blur they used to interpolate frames in the original? That was one of the first things I noticed in the demo. Lack of motion blur. Pre-order still stands.

Haha, glad i'm not the only one that went back to the original game for comparison after playing the demo. Had to use my Snake Eater disc for comparison since the Subsistence disc was pretty scratched up.

The framerate during cutscenes was definitely masked by liberal use of motion blur. During gameplay though (with the exception of a couple of areas), the game held a fairly solid framerate. But i'm pretty sure that's because of Snake Eater's fixed camera being glued to a very limited view the map. I remember it being a little worse in Subsistence though it's been a while.

Symphonic

Anybody kind of unsatisfied with the 3D effect? Looks great in cutscenes, but it's very flat in gameplay and the lack of AA on the crash makes my eyes hurt.

Anybody kind of unsatisfied with the 3D effect? Looks great in cutscenes, but it's very flat in gameplay and the lack of AA on the crash makes my eyes hurt.

The 3D in the demo was pretty poor - more cardboard cutout than the satisfying 3D of something like Pilotwings or RE:R.

The worst thing was the awful strafing animation (or lack of). Snake just seemed to be floating from side to side and spinning with no sense of weight or movement - a really cheap looking effect that I thought I'd seen the back of with the early-generation PS2 games.

I only played the demo for a bit, but I didn't have any framerate issues. I probably just didn't get far enough in though. I like most of the changes they made for the 3DS version. I would not be happy playing the entire game without the CCP though. It would have been fine if they offered a control scheme more like the PS2 game. But aiming with ABXY wears thin pretty quickly for me.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

AA is bad, but I'm really, really impressed with the 3D. I have about 14 3DS games, and I'd say MGS is right up there with Mario Kart 7 as the best use of 3D on the system.

XPE

A much more positive thread title?

Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D |OT| Snake, the grass pops out. Watch out.

Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D |OT| Solid Snaking it in the bush in 3D (old joke I know but I still like it =P)

jokkir

I actually found it quite nice especially when a leaf or branches gets close to the screen. Very good sense of layering and depth.

The 3D is very strong though

OmegaZero

Metal Gear Solid 3D: Snake Eater l OT l Eating The End's Parrot in Glasses-free 3D.

Also, another question.
Is XM16E1 the same as the demo one?
Because the demo one didn't allow you to change the firing mode and has an awkward sound glitch when you're firing it.
Well, not really that much of a glitch, but the sound keeps cutting out and skipping with sustained fire.
I compared it to the PS2 version, and the sound came out smoothly and consistently with each shot.

I'd hate to think the other automatic weapons were like this. >_>

I remember that area caused a largely noticeable framerate drop in the PS2 versions for me.

Very noticeable frame rate drop when the camera is facing the swamp itself. However, it stays OK whenever you pan the camera close to Snake, away from the open space.

hayejin

My memory is fading but I'm able to move while in crouch mode in 3 DS version. The ps2 original didn't allow this, correct?

Murkas

My memory is fading but I'm able to move while in crouch mode in 3 DS version. The ps2 original didn't allow this, correct?

Yeah, they added that in and some other stuff.

The demo was ok but I can't handle the controls. Will stick to the Vita version.

CorvoSol

I got the demo yesterday. The camera being mapped to the XABY buttons is unusual, but I kinda like it more than having to claw my way through Peace Walker. It feels easier for some reason to me. I'm not a huge graphic nut, so I didn't notice any of these resolution things people have brought up.

I WAS bothered by the framerate in the cutscenes, though. Specifically Snake's mouth when he spoke. I hope that changes in the full version of the game. It'd be a bit jarring to hear the Boss' closing speech and see her jaw like, chattering instead of working like she was speaking. It reminds me a bit of the hit and miss lip-sync from the Type-0 demo.

I'm still getting the game, though.

Top Bottom