• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3D demo on eShop this week

CorvoSol

How many people moaning about the controls played Peace Walker on PSP?

I played Peace Walker. Which is why I like the controls, more or less. The D-Pad to shift between crouching and standing and loading and unloading is a little bit awkward for me, still, but the ability to crawl and shoot is worth that. Hated that in Peace Walker I couldn't shoot from a crawling position.

Anybody know how to get back up onto a bridge if you slip off the side? I could not figure that out for the life of me.

MLH

Yeah I played Peace Walker and I seem to recall three control methods. The default PW controls are the same as in MGS3D and I never liked them. I switched to 'action' controls I believe; which was hold L to aim,move cursor with the analogue stick and fire with R. These worked well for me.

Does anyone with the final build know if it has all three control methods found in Peace Walker?

Murkas

I did, I can claw quite easily with the PSP, can't with the 3DS.

Anybody know how to get back up onto a bridge if you slip off the side? I could not figure that out for the life of me.

Press up on the Dpad? Sometimes you have to shimmy a bit to the left/right for the command icon to come up.

And yeah that part was annoying.

backlot

I played Peace Walker. Which is why I like the controls, more or less. The D-Pad to shift between crouching and standing and loading and unloading is a little bit awkward for me, still, but the ability to crawl and shoot is worth that. Hated that in Peace Walker I couldn't shoot from a crawling position.

Up on the d-pad I think. Sometimes you need to shimmy a bit to the left or right first but eventually you'll see a little prompt pop up.

OmegaZero

D-pad up.
EDIT: Beaten.

And also, for those who dislike the 3DS's lack of claw, tapping on the touchscreen also makes Snake shift stances.

CorvoSol

I did, I can claw quite easily with the PSP, can't with the 3DS.

Press up on the Dpad? Sometimes you have to shimmy a bit to the left/right for the command icon to come up.

And yeah that part was annoying.

Ah, okay, that makes sense. I didn't see the command so I just fell off. It also annoys me that it means I can't cross bridges if I'm laying down.

OmegaZero

So does the Circle Pad Pro improve the game controls?

Well, it does in the demo.
But when you're aiming, it feels like you're still using face buttons, since it doesn't matter how far you tilt the circle pad--only what direction.

Also, I've sunk hours into PW, so the default scheme doesn't bother me either.

So does the Circle Pad Pro improve the game controls?

Yes, I'm playing with the CPP, and it's great. Zero complaints. This game is also wayyyyy better than Revelations at detecting the CPP and making sure it reactivates when you come out of sleep mode or load a game. Unlike Revelations, you don't have to enable it in the options every time you load your game. The game checks if it's there every time.

Im still unsure about picking this up: on one hand MGS3 is in top 5 of my fave games of all time, so when I tried the demo it was nostalgia overload, on the other hand, the Vita version is coming so I feel torn. Buy MGS3D now and fullfill my nostalgia itch or wait maybe 6 months for the Vita version. :(

Well, it does in the demo.
But when you're aiming, it feels like you're still using face buttons, since it doesn't matter how far you tilt the circle pad--only what direction.

Also, I've sunk hours into PW, so the default scheme doesn't bother me either.

Not sure what you mean by this, but the aiming is analog in the final game, meaning, if I move the right stick slowly, the cursor moves slowly (and moves faster the farther I move it).

jokkir

Im still unsure about picking this up: on one hand MGS3 is in top 5 of my fave games of all time, so when I tried the demo it was nostalgia overload, on the other hand, the Vita version is coming so I feel torn. Buy MGS3D now and fullfill my nostalgia itch or wait maybe 6 months for the Vita version. :(

Buy both.

I'm debating if I should get this or Tales of the Abyss (mainly because I want and RPG and the limited run). What say you GAF?

OmegaZero

Not sure what you mean by this, but the aiming is analog in the final game, meaning, if I move the right stick slowly, the cursor moves slowly (and moves faster the farther I move it).

Yeah, I just went back and tried it to find it is analog. I guess that dead zone combined with the way the aiming speed accelerates as you hold a direction had me confused.
Oh well, if it's analog in the final game, then I'm not worrying about it.

Boney

Banned
Just tried the demo, and while the framerate in the cutscenes was pretty jarring, the worst thing about it were the textures. Everything blends in and looks muddy unlike PW.

Controls were pretty solid, but having crouch/stand on up would've been better, but I did upped the sensitivy a bit. Guards were pretty retarded and didn't seem to spot me in situations I would've been caught for sure in the PS2 version. Wish the orginal camara was still in place like Subsistance sigh.

I do wanna play MGS3 again though... what to do what to do

Buy both.

I'm debating if I should get this or Tales of the Abyss (mainly because I want and RPG and the limited run). What say you GAF?

Despite MGS3D adding some new things to its makeup, ToTA at least runs better than it. While in battle performance is less than that of the PS2 original, it gains shorter load times, which gives it a great advantage over the original. Plus it's a limited print run so go for Abyss.

massoluk

Banned
Someone, please, tell me that the retail version is better than the demo.

Face button for aiming take a lot getting used to. All the shooting on the DS (the games I played anyway) are done with stylus.

Buy both.

After playing MGS demo and hours with Tales of the Abyss, I'd say Tales of the Abyss.
Who knows, may be retail version will surprise me.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Very noticeable frame rate drop when the camera is facing the swamp itself. However, it stays OK whenever you pan the camera close to Snake, away from the open space.

Is the intro area, large look at the valley below, and some of the farther jungle vegetation still running with a lower geometry density (lower poly) than the PS2 version as all the media that has been released so far?

Veal

To people talking about clawing: please do yourself a favor and get a good grip for the 3DS. Doesn't matter if it's the CPP or something else, it will definitely change how the controls feel (unless you absolutely hate aiming with buttons). Comfort is fucking vital on the 3DS.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

you can crouch/stand also simply touching the touch screen.

why didnt konami come up with a solution where you use the bottom touch screen to control the camera? still ergonomically better than using the 4 face buttons to control the cameras diagonally

smug

Banned
To people talking about clawing: please do yourself a favor and get a good grip for the 3DS. Doesn't matter if it's the CPP or something else, it will definitely change how the controls feel (unless you absolutely hate aiming with buttons). Comfort is fucking vital on the 3DS.

While I totally agree.. even with the CPPro, this games control is beyond frustrating.. everything about it.. It doesn't help that I have no enjoyment out of waiting 1 minute for some dude to make his patrol... the whole game feels like it's an exercise in trial and error.. and I'm probably wrong to a large extent.. but I just can't stand this game.. I'm sure a lot of people will enjoy and that's just fine.. it isn't for me though..

Kazerei

Banned
To whomever has a final copy of the game, do the control options allow to you to set the circle pad to camera, and ABXY to movement? I'd rather have analog aiming than analog movement. EDIT: Wait, then there would need to be a run button. Oh well.

While I totally agree.. even with the CPPro, this games control is beyond frustrating.. everything about it.. It doesn't help that I have no enjoyment out of waiting 1 minute for some dude to make his patrol... the whole game feels like it's an exercise in trial and error.. and I'm probably wrong to a large extent.. but I just can't stand this game.. I'm sure a lot of people will enjoy and that's just fine.. it isn't for me though..

CPP works absolutely fine. So, Yes, this game isn't for you.

To whomever has a final copy of the game, do the control options allow to you to set the circle pad to camera, and ABXY to movement? I'd rather have analog aiming than analog movement. EDIT: Wait, then there would need to be a run button. Oh well.

No, there are two main control options: with CPP and one without it.

I just passed The Pain; still enjoying it.

So? Whats the verdict on visuals? As good as PS2? Equal to Peace Walker? Is all dialogue still voiced? One of my concerns from the demo was that the game seemed a little dark so I dunno if its ingame lighting or my 3DS.

So? Whats the verdict on visuals? As good as PS2? Equal to Peace Walker? Is all dialogue still voiced? One of my concerns from the demo was that the game seemed a little dark so I dunno if its ingame lighting or my 3DS.

Much better than Peace Walker; slightly better than PS2 version in some spots, worse in others due to lower resolution.

Frost_Ace

Are the texure better than the ones in the demo? In some spots I really felt like I was playing some ugly old cellphone ports because of them :(

Anything so far that stands out particularly?
As in parts that look better and parts that look worse.

I would say the cutscenes look better in 3D, even with hiccups. EVA's 3D boobs, ftw.

In general, though, some of the water effects (motion and reflections) make some environments look better, and there are more details on the models, even if the overall poly count is lower.

This game is optimized top to bottom for 3D, so if you can't see 3D, a lot of its charm will be lost to you.

Edit: The texture work in general is good, infinitely better than Peace Walker. You do come across some random ones that are offensive, like the tree vines.

Side note: making photo camo is pretty fun. You can make custom camo that is so good that you get 100% camo index.

And, since the game just uses your photo gallery, sharing good prints should be pretty simple.

OmegaZero

I would say the cutscenes look better in 3D, even with hiccups. EVA's 3D boobs, ftw.
In general, though, some of the water effects (motion and reflections) make some environments look better, and there are more details on the models, even if the overall poly count is lower.
Edit: The texture work in general is good, infinitely better than Peace Walker. You do come across some random ones that are offensive, like the tree vines.
Side note: making photo camo is pretty fun. You can make custom camo that is so good that you get 100% camo index.

Sounds pretty awesome.
I feel much more confident about my purchase now.

kunonabi

played the demo again. I really do enjoy playing it on the 3DS. I think I'm starting to lean. I mean the cutscenes can't all look as terrible as the Ocelot one, right? The halo jump looked acceptable.

So, this got a 9 from Nintendo Power.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/metal-gear-solid-snake-eater-3d

Can't believe the initial reviews are so positive. Especially if it's exactly like the demo. o.o

A phenomenal game. Almost nothing was sacrificed in bringing the title to the Nintendo 3DS; from the opening scene to the powerful ending, every character model and every bit of excellent voice acting is intact, and the production values are sky-high.

ah-ha so there

Pimpbaa

the worst thing about it were the textures. Everything blends in and looks muddy unlike PW.

I think you are remember PW wrong. PW had worse textures and massive amounts of dithering (the latter blending everything in far worse than muddy textures ever would).

if you can tolerate the controls, more power to you

but after sampling the controls, i cant imagine how convoluted it must be to take on a boss like Pain where theres so much button coordination going on (aiming/wweapon switching/swimming/etc) worst of all crippled by the four-button aiming scheme.......

i can only imagine how frustrating the Ocelot gun battle must be since precision aiming is involved

but after sampling the controls, i cant imagine how convoluted it must be to take on a boss like Pain where theres so much button coordination going on (aiming/wweapon switching/swimming/etc) worst of all crippled by the four-button aiming scheme.......

i can only imagine how frustrating the Ocelot gun battle must be since precision aiming is involved
n3qqg.jpg

Seems like some people haven't heard about this / don't know what CPP means

That being said; I am still sad about no Gyro aiming after Resident Evil Revelations

I'm playing with the CPP. Beat them both very easily.

Boney

Banned
magically, the demo seems to run better than before

I guess it ruined my eyesight or something. That's pretty clever konami

I think you are remember PW wrong. PW had worse textures and massive amounts of dithering (the latter blending everything in far worse than muddy textures ever would).
I very well could be, but the map layout and colors made stuff pop out more

So I gave the demo a second chance (after initially thinking it was fucking atrocious), and you know what? It's not bad--in fact, I may buy this at some point. Aiming with the face buttons is surprisingly functional, and I like the way CQC works.

Xellos

Played through the demo a few more times, got some chaff grenades off a guard, detonated one, and all the chaff floated around in 3D. I guess I should have expected that but it still wowed me.

Konami has done a great job implementing 3D in this game. Even though it's just the demo, I think it's up there with 3D Land as one of the showpieces for the system. Can't wait to start the full version on Tuesday.

People coming off playing PS3 and Xbox360 will definitely find the graphics jarring. This is not the systems fault tho. The game is, after all, still an enhanced port from last gen.

The framerate is stable save for the cutscenes which is disappointing. The camera moved to the action buttons is definitely something you have to get used to. 2D in FPS mode is a bit jarring at the beginning but you don't really need to go into FP for the most part. Even with the controls in detault settings I didn't have any problems doing headshots from a considerable distance. Graphics are slightly better than the PS2 version. Some odd textures here and there but nothing too offensive.

I like the game and I enjoyed the demo. I'll be picking it up come Tuesday.

OmegaZero

I'm playing with the CPP. Beat them both very easily.

Ah, so you must be past the caves then.

How are the lighting effects? The caves looked amazing on the PS2 when you turned on the torch?
Does using the torch cause any framerate drops?

And how are the water effects in the area after the cave/at the Pain fight?

Ah, so you must be past the caves then.

How are the lighting effects? The caves looked amazing on the PS2 when you turned on the torch?
Does using the torch cause any framerate drops?

And how are the water effects in the area after the cave/at the Pain fight?
No frame rate drops from the torch. NvG look neat in 3D. Caves and area beyond looked good to me, although I spent most of it submerged with my Croc hat.

Quoted for truth. I never play my 3DS without this grip, there is a world of difference in comfort. Makes me sad to think I can't use it with the CPP (if I ever get one).

Top Bottom