• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3D demo on eShop this week

I refuse to purchase that add-on simply because it interferes with my use of the system (including the charging dock), adds a lot of bulk, and looks absolutely dreadful. I won't support something that was created as the result of a bone headed move by Nintendo.

your loss..

RE:R is alot more fun (like playing on the console) and I can hold the 3DS without my hands cramping up

sinnergy

lol I dare you to play that in a public place and not get a few WTF stares. It looks dumb as hell.

So you think you are cool when you game in a public place?
a lot of people think it's not.. it's teh kiddie

air_breath.jpg

Who cares, what other people think! lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
your loss..

RE:R is alot more fun (like playing on the console) and I can hold the 3DS without my hands cramping up
You do realize that RE4 didn't require a right analog stick, right? The right stick in RE4 simply flicked around and was mostly useless. It was a single stick game, by and large. RE:R plays perfectly without a second stick.

Korosenai

This game was horrible for me playing without the circle pad pro. I hate having to look using the four abxy buttons.

I may go pick up a circle pad pro today at gamestop then try it again, and see if it makes a difference.

Tyeforce

lol I dare you to play that in a public place and not get a few WTF stares. It looks dumb as hell.
Why do you even care what other people think anyway? And it really doesn't look that ridiculous. It looks like you're playing a handheld video game system, that's all. Do you really think people are gonna stop and stare at you and think "haha, that's a silly accessory he has for his video game system"? No, they're not, lol. And even if they did...so what? Don't let other people's thoughts dictate what you do in life.

Ooh you're right. They can make a completely new MGS for the Vita that'll far surpass this one that implements the rear touchpad and the twin analogs and even Near.

I have a 3DS myself, and I want dual analogs on games like this. I know the 3DS has the Analog add-on, but I won't be caught dead with that abomination on my 3DS. Last thing I want on my commute to class, is people asking me what I have attached to my 3DS and I tell them oh, it's Nintendo's incompetency of including a second analog right from the very beginning. Plus, analog nubs just aren't as good as real analogs such as the Vita or PS3's analogs.

You should grow a spine maybe, and stop caring about what others think about you, or simply cut out the weak ass trolling.

You should grow a spine maybe, and stop caring about what others think about you, or simply cut out the weak ass trolling.

Most of you who think the 3DS would harm your reputation probably look like pricks anyway.

I play mine regularly, because you know what? Bus rides are fucking boring. I have no interest in looking cool. I think staring vacantly out of the window on a 3 hour bus journey/2 hour train journey home from University isn't particularly exciting.

Nobody looks at each other on public transport. They're always trying to avoid eye contact, reading books, newspapers and looking out of the window. It's hilarious to think that anyone cares about anybody that they don't know on public transport, especially to the extent that they might judge them for the kind of handheld videogame console or peripheral they're using. The only way they'll care is if you've got the volume up without using headphones!

I still can't decide, even after playing the demo (which was a bit overwhelming and difficult to control). I have never played MGS3, and the only other way I could play it is by buying the HD collection on 360, and I won't even be in the same country as my 360 until May. Also I don't have the CCP. Someone please make up my mind on my behalf.

Games devalue quite gracefully so you could always buy it and sell it on later.

I wouldn't bother without the CPP personally. You can probably get a deal for both on Amazon or similar sites. You'd get three months with the game that you otherwise wouldn't have. If you can wait, then you might want to get the HD edition. You can't play that on the move though so... its something you'll have to weigh up. Would you really play it / get much use out of it? If yes, then why not?

I played Revelations (and now, Snake Eater) with my CPP on the New York City subway.

Nobody cares; you're just insecure.

What (if any) unlockables are there with this version?

I'm not sure if there are any additional unlockables, beyond what was already in Snake Eater (the original).

Most of you who think the 3DS would harm your reputation probably look like pricks anyway.

I play mine regularly, because you know what? Bus rides are fucking boring. I have no interest in looking cool. I think staring vacantly out of the window on a 3 hour bus journey/2 hour train journey home from University isn't particularly exciting.

I especially love it when people think that any certain gaming device would make them "cool" or at least not as exposed to public scrutiny than others.
Puberty is a hell to go through, and those comments reminded me why.

linko9

Wow... downloaded it and loathed every second of it, and I loved the first two games. The visuals are absolutely terrible, I don't know what it is, but everything is so... undefined? I don't know. And the 3d effect is the worst I've seen. Controls are abysmal. Just to make sure I wasn't in a bad mood or something, I downloaded the RE:R demo as well, and I loved it. I haven't picked up the HD collection yet, but I guess I'll do that soon... I really need to play MGS3 at some point.

Famassu

Uh, there really aren't that many "much better games" on 3DS. You have Mario, Revelations, Zelda, and a few others. I wouldn't say most of those are better than MGS3, however (though it's hard to compare, say, Mario Kart to MGS directly).

MGS3 is an incredible game on any platform and instantly becomes one of the best games on 3DS by virtue of the fact that it's MGS3.
MGS3 is, indeed, a great game. But this port is shit and made even shittier by the fact that MGS HD Collection exists (in a portable form, even, in the not too distant future). At most, this should've been a downloadable eShop title. As it is, the collection offers so much more bang for your buck that this mediocre port-job just isn't worth it. Maybe when it's sub-15$, but not at the price they are asking for it now.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
While I like the Peace Walker-style extras and control layout, I'm probably passing on this. Would rather wait for MGS3 on Vita.

You do realize that RE4 didn't require a right analog stick, right? The right stick in RE4 simply flicked around and was mostly useless. It was a single stick game, by and large. RE:R plays perfectly without a second stick.

While I agree that there's no real control issues playing RE:R without the Circle Pad Pro, using it is noticeably better. The control layout changes to take advantage of the extra R trigger and everything is more comfortable.

seady

Like what I played.

But not because it is on 3DS, but because it is MGS3. If I want to play MGS3, there are many ways I can play it - in a superior way.

I will be getting this tomorrow or when I see it. It's a lot of fun playing it and the new features are great. Crouch walking and over the shoulder shooting are a requirement for a handheld version. I'm grateful they took the time to incorporate them. Also the touchscreen interface is very sleek and intuitive. Kudos to KojiPro for making the most out of the touchscreen.

I wish Kojima would port Twin Snakes. It would be a more seamless port control-wise as it only uses one analog stick. Seriously, TS is crying out for a portable version: "I see you like Super Mario Land 3DSsssss..... "

I wish Kojima would port Twin Snakes. It would be a more seamless port control-wise as it only uses one analog stick. Seriously, TS is crying out for a portable version: "I see you like Super Mario Land 3DSsssss..... "

I'd consider buying that. Maybe it'd help Silicon Knights out of their hole a little. Its obviously not going to happen, but if it did, it'd be nice if they took complaints on board and un-changed some of their unwanted changes (such as those to the soundtrack)

I'm a bit disappointed Konami seem to be shutting down all of their MGO activity... this game would have been a much easier sell if it retained the online multiplayer from Subsistence. With them shutting it down on MGS4 as well, I kind of suspect they want to encourage an upgrade to MG:Rising or something else.

C'mon dude think about this - it's probably near max capacity on a 4GB card as it is. It'll be interesting to see how KojiPro fit both this game and MGS2 on a single card.

Either 2 cards or ask for a bigger cards from Sony.

And on the public topic. Who cares what people think of you when you are playing.

You don't know what a difference it makes, trust me. Unless of course you do and your opinion is just plain weird. Game is amazing with the CPP and RE4 would absolutely have benefited from it as well.

It says a lot about both the game and the "run and gun" control scheme that it doesn't stop the game from being challenging and creepy, despite ease of movement and aiming.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
You don't know what a difference it makes, trust me. Unless of course you do and your opinion is just plain weird. Game is amazing with the CPP and RE4 would absolutely have benefited from it as well.

It says a lot about both the game and the "run and gun" control scheme that it doesn't stop the game from being challenging and creepy, despite ease of movement and aiming.
I've tried it with a CPP and, yeah, it does work well but I also think the game plays fine without it. I just can't buy into that awful product and don't feel it makes enough of a difference to be worth it. The form factor is ruined, I can't simply drop it on the charging dock as I typically do, and there aren't loads of games using it.

Either 2 cards or ask for a bigger cards from Sony.

Either option could have ramifications for sale-price... Capcom tried to pass off increased card size onto RE:R customers in the US -- I think, thankfully, competition forced prices back down, but I'm sure we'll see attempts to do that again when developers make games exceeding 4GB. All 3DS and Vita games released so far are under 4GB afaik.

Famassu

C'mon dude think about this - it's probably near max capacity on a 4GB card as it is. It'll be interesting to see how KojiPro fit both this game and MGS2 on a single card.
Okay, let's put it this way, this shouldn't exist in a world where the collection does. 3DS should've gotten the collection too. This is just a huge rip-off as it is.

how much more comfortable does the cpp make the 3ds to hold? it looks like the ergonomics on it are a bit better/more comfortable than the 3ds itself.

how much more comfortable does the cpp make the 3ds to hold? it looks like the ergonomics on it are a bit better/more comfortable than the 3ds itself.

It's a lot like holding a home-console controller. Its more comfortable than the Classic Controller for Wii, and I would say - more comfortable than the Classic Controller Pro (the one with the prongs) too.

I hold it with my index fingers around the twin shoulder buttons on each side, and the rest of my fingers sit nicely underneath the unit, thumbs extended to each slide pad. I think some people might have found it more comfortable still if it had prongs to support the palms like most controllers, but its definitely more comfortable than a vanilla 3DS unit. Much more so.

edit: As an aside, having said that, you might want to check the 3DS grips thread - as some people are recommending some third party grips as being even more comfortable. As far as grips go that add functionality though - CPP is the only game in town at the moment.

btkadams

Wow... downloaded it and loathed every second of it, and I loved the first two games. The visuals are absolutely terrible, I don't know what it is, but everything is so... undefined? I don't know. And the 3d effect is the worst I've seen. Controls are abysmal. Just to make sure I wasn't in a bad mood or something, I downloaded the RE:R demo as well, and I loved it. I haven't picked up the HD collection yet, but I guess I'll do that soon... I really need to play MGS3 at some point.

you're not alone. mgs3 is my favourite mgs, but i couldn't even get through this demo. the 3d is awful and just fucks with my eyes in comparison to the godly 3d in other 3ds games. i found the controls bad too, but i don't have that addon thing. i think i'll pass on this one. if i want to play mgs3 again, i'll just get one of the hd collections.

Tyeforce

Okay, let's put it this way, this shouldn't exist in a world where the collection does. 3DS should've gotten the collection too. This is just a huge rip-off as it is.
I'll never understand why people have this mindset. That's like saying Ocarina of Time 3D shouldn't exist because The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition already exists. Okay, maybe that's not the best example because Collector's Edition was released years ago, but you get the point. Snake Eater 3D isn't just an HD port of the original, it's a updated version with better visuals, new features, and it's portable...and in 3D! I won't deny that the HD Collection is a great value, but if we're just talking about Snake Eater, I don't understand how people think that this version isn't the definitive version of the game.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Nobody looks at each other on public transport. They're always trying to avoid eye contact, reading books, newspapers and looking out of the window. It's hilarious to think that anyone cares about anybody that they don't know on public transport, especially to the extent that they might judge them for the kind of handheld videogame console or peripheral they're using. The only way they'll care is if you've got the volume up without using headphones!

I was on the bus a few months ago talking with my friend, I had my 3DS held in my hand, closed, fairly covered on my lap, and some weirdo guy was still glancing at me for a little bit and eventually went "is that a video game?" "yeah..." "man, everybody's got one of those things, man, always got something in their hand andnrharhgbaflhu"

so I can understand the concern.

Wrote this post several hours ago at the office but the connection went out before I could submit.

Well, in a way, it sort of does since it sports some fancy shader effects that the HD doesn't. However, on the other hand, it's hard to argue that those shaders (which are rather subtle to begin with) beat out the vastly improved image quality of the HD collection. I know I'd take IQ over effects in a lot of cases.

I don't get how the HD collection has better IQ. It has higher native resolution, but effective IQ would be inferior when play on a 1080p TV, which is the typical usage case for most people.

I often don't get the complaints about the low resolution of the 3DS screen. Low resolution normally doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't affect IQ (i.e. pixel density is high enough and there is no scaling, two conditions satisfied by the 3DS--unlike some Vita launch games, one of several reasons why I decided not to get one at launch, but I digress).

Games running in 3D on the 3DS screen look very sharp and high res to me. In fact I can't see the individual pixels in 3D; the screen becomes like a completely transparent window peering into a virtual world. I suspect this might be a subjective optical illusion and not everyone sees it that way. I'm happy I do, because coupled with 24-bit color means that as far as I'm concerned most 3DS games have near perfect image quality. Paradoxically even jaggies are less apparent to me in 3D.

In the case of MGS3, I was only occasionally annoyed by the limited vertical resolution while playing the demo, for example when crawling from a side view and trying to peak into the distance (which I suspect is more a product of the game running in 16:9 aspect ratio than having 240 lines, but I could be wrong). This was only in relation to "visible real estate", not image quality.

I also think that the controls and framerate didn't bother me because I like to play MGS games at a very slow pace; very stealthy and taking my time in every area. I can imagine the controls and framerate might become an issue in fast paced/action heavy situations (e.g. boss fights), which I didn't encounter in the demo, or if you generally like to play the game at a faster pace.

I'll never understand why people have this mindset. That's like saying Ocarina of Time 3D shouldn't exist because The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition already exists. Okay, maybe that's not the best example because Collector's Edition was released years ago, but you get the point. Snake Eater 3D isn't just an HD port of the original, it's a updated version with better visuals, new features, and it's portable...and in 3D! I won't deny that the HD Collection is a great value, but if we're just talking about Snake Eater, I don't understand how people think that this version isn't the definitive version of the game.

I get what you're saying, even though I wouldn't call it the "definitive version" of the game, that opinion is partly subjective anyway. But I agree that Snake Eater 3D stands on its own apart from the original and HD Collections (PS3 or Vita); it has enough unique features to make it so (namely 3D, crouch walking/shooting, and modified textures/colors/shaders). Whether someone cares about these differences is a personal matter, but to me they make it a must-own title, even if I owned every other version of the game (I don't), and even if I end up deciding that it's the worst version of the game after I finish it.

Bottomline is, it's a unique version of MGS3 with added features that matter a lot to me, and from what I've seen in the demo and based on what reviews have said so far, I'm buying it with confidence knowing it will have a permanent place in my collection. Being inferior or definitive does not matter much to me, that's helped by the fact that I'm not burned out on MGS3 as many other fans might be. I only played this amazing game once, that was the original release on PS2, not even Subsistence. So I'm eager to play it again.

Now I do have a voice in my head wondering if it would be better to play it on PS3 first, then the 3DS one, but I think I'd want to experience it both ways... Once in 3D with the intimacy of a handheld, and again at 60fps in 720p. I'll admit though that had the HD Collection supported 3D, it would have easily been my go-to edition.

NFreak

I'm surprised by the fact people think the 3D in the game sucks. I think the 3D looks absolutely amazing especially on the main menu and when you have a first person view crawling through the grass. I don't like the fact that this is coming out for full price with the HD collections out though. I won't be picking the game up but I liked what I played in the demo, although I haven't really been a huge fan of the series in general.

kunonabi

Wrote this post several hours ago at the office but the connection went out before I could submit.

I don't get how the HD collection has better IQ. It has higher native resolution, but effective IQ would be inferior when play on a 1080p TV, which is the typical usage case for most people.

I often don't get the complaints about the low resolution of the 3DS screen. Low resolution normally doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't affect IQ (i.e. pixel density is high enough and there is no scaling, two conditions satisfied by the 3DS--unlike some Vita launch games, one of several reasons why I decided not to get one at launch, but I digress).

Games running in 3D on the 3DS screen look very sharp and high res to me. In fact I can't see the individual pixels in 3D; the screen becomes like a completely transparent window peering into a virtual world. I suspect this might be a subjective optical illusion and not everyone sees it that way. I'm happy I do, because coupled with 24-bit color means that as far as I'm concerned most 3DS games have near perfect image quality. Paradoxically even jaggies are less apparent to me in 3D.

In the case of MGS3, I was only occasionally annoyed by the limited vertical resolution while playing the demo, for example when crawling from a side view and trying to peak into the distance (which I suspect is more a product of the game running in 16:9 aspect ratio than having 240 lines, but I could be wrong). This was only in relation to "visible real estate", not image quality.

I also think that the controls and framerate didn't bother me because I like to play MGS games at a very slow pace; very stealthy and taking my time in every area. I can imagine the controls and framerate might become an issue in fast paced/action heavy situations (e.g. boss fights), which I didn't encounter in the demo, or if you generally like to play the game at a faster pace.

the in-game framerate seems to be fine but the cutscenes are a joke. Had the framerate been the same as the ps2 version I would be behind this 100% since the 3D is a great addition and I prefer the controls(90% of my gaming doesn't use dual analog anyway).

Shaders are stuff are far less important to me than the framerate. I'm not sure why people are separating framerate quality from graphics. I consider framerate to be the most important part of a game's graphical presenation. I haven't played the HD collection but I can see people making an argument for it based on that one factor alone.

It just comes down to priorities. I don't really care for PW or MGS2 so getting MGS3 by itself is fine by me. I just have to decide if I can stomach the awful cutscenes to play with all the improvements the 3DS version does have. I enjoy the demo more and more each time I play it so I am probably going to bite at some point down the line.

It just sucks that konami botched what could have been a slam dunk 3DS release.

Thoraxes

It's $20 and available right now, I've played all through Revelations with it and it was quite comfortable for me. You can order it from Nintendo directly or buy one at a Gamestop but reports say they're fairly rare to find right now.

My local GS told me that the next shipments aren't going out till the second week of April or so, so I would definitely just order one from Nintendo at this point. If any GS around you doesn't have one, it's likely they won't have them in again for a long time.

Famassu

Well, if Nintendo had offered a vastly superior HD-collection of Zeldas while only putting a version of OoT on 3DS that ran like shit and had tons of removed features while also costing almost the same as the collection, I would have the same sentiment. As it is, the LoZ CE doesn't offer anything new to people who already have those games (like me), while there are some noticeable improvements in OoT 3DS over the original (thanks to the touchscreen inventory, it's much more enjoyable to play, especially the Water Temple; graphics are noticeably improved, framerate is much smoother than in the original; Master Quest) and there's that simple fact that there is no other way to play a portable version of OoT.

There's simply no reason for me to get MGS3 3D since I already own MGS3 Subsistence (which, imo, is much more of a definitive version of MGS3 than 3D), it doesn't offer any improvements (yeah, shaders, big deal if the game runs like shit) nor does it have any extra content and there will also be another portable release of the game which will come with at least MGS2 (has it been confirmed if Peace Walker will be included with Vita's MGS Collection?). If I only had a 3DS, I'd be pissed that 3 other platforms get a much, MUCH better deal and I wouldn't support this release out of principle (though, I'm not that desperate to play MGS3 again, so I'm not even sure if I'll get the Collection in any form).

As it is, the LoZ CE doesn't offer anything new to people who already have those games

I thought OoT and Majora's Mask ran at a higher resolution and better frame rates in the CE than the N64 originals? Sounds exactly like what the HD Collection is.

If I only had a 3DS, I'd be pissed that 3 other platforms get a much, MUCH better deal and I wouldn't support this release out of principle (though, I'm not that desperate to play MGS3 again, so I'm not even sure if I'll get the Collection in any form).

Funny, one of the reasons I actually decided to buy this now and not wait for a price drop is that I want to support Konami's effort in bringing a unique version of the game to the 3DS, and to hopefully encourage them to do that again with other games from the series or another of their franchises.

I think people often under estimate the complexity and difficulty of porting games. Sure theoretically the game could run better, but I like to think that everyone involved did their best given the circumstances (budget, manpower, timeline, technical limitations, etc.)

You say "lazy port", I say "commendable job"

:)

Well, if Nintendo had offered a vastly superior HD-collection of Zeldas while only putting a version of OoT on 3DS that ran like shit and had tons of removed features while also costing almost the same as the collection, I would have the same sentiment. As it is, the LoZ CE doesn't offer anything new to people who already have those games (like me), while there are some noticeable improvements in OoT 3DS over the original (thanks to the touchscreen inventory, it's much more enjoyable to play, especially the Water Temple; graphics are noticeably improved, framerate is much smoother than in the original; Master Quest) and there's that simple fact that there is no other way to play a portable version of OoT.

There's simply no reason for me to get MGS3 3D since I already own MGS3 Subsistence (which, imo, is much more of a definitive version of MGS3 than 3D), it doesn't offer any improvements (yeah, shaders, big deal if the game runs like shit) nor does it have any extra content and there will also be another portable release of the game which will come with at least MGS2 (has it been confirmed if Peace Walker will be included with Vita's MGS Collection?). If I only had a 3DS, I'd be pissed that 3 other platforms get a much, MUCH better deal and I wouldn't support this release out of principle (though, I'm not that desperate to play MGS3 again, so I'm not even sure if I'll get the Collection in any form).

No improvements? Is everyone intentionally avoiding the new control additions? I'm astonished by the ignorance considering this isnt the first time I've seen this response.

I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I'll buy this, but this dilemma has been occupying my thoughts so relentlessly that I should probably just give in.

Famassu

I thought OoT and Majora's Mask ran at a higher resolution and better frame rates in the CE than the N64 originals? Sounds exactly like what the HD Collection is.
They were still running in SD resolutions, so not that much of an improvement. OoT3DS did the same, yeah, but it had a bunch of features & improvements over the original. All-in-all it was a perfect 3DS-port of the game (not a full-blown remake, though, which would've been even nicer). MGS3D feels like it tries to have some improvements, but they just didn't have enough of a budget to actually go through with making a port that runs at least as well as the original. It just feels kinda sloppy, definitely not on par with some of the better ports like GoW & ICO/SOTC collections on PS3 or OoT3D.

No improvements? Is everyone intentionally avoiding the new control additions? I'm astonished by the ignorance considering this isnt the first time I've seen this response.
Maybe it's because it's been kinda long since I played 3 (Subsistence) and maybe time is playing tricks on my memories, but I don't think the demo played noticeably better than what I remember MGS3S being on PS2. Or at least I didn't have any problems with the original game that I would have felt the additions fixed/improved on noticeably.

Also, I had some pretty severe slowdown in the demo, when I was noticed by guards and was trying to escape a bunch of them. It probably dipped to sub-15fps framerates (it was like I was playing the game in slow motion).

Korosenai

Umm guys, where do I get a circle pad pro?

Didn't these already come out?

I've called two of the gamestops near where I live, one of them had never even heard of it, and the other couldn't tell me a release date.

OmegaZero

I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I'll buy this, but this dilemma has been occupying my thoughts so relentlessly that I should probably just give in.

It can't hurt to wait for more reviews/GAF impressions.
It really depends on your thoughts on the demo, I guess.

Top Bottom