• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

America's favorite country is ... Canada!!! Mexico...not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.gallup.com/poll/152735/A...cation&utm_content=morelink&utm_term=Politics

PRINCETON, NJ -- Americans are feeling more favorably toward several of the United States' major allies in 2012 than they have in the past. This year's ratings for Canada (96%), Australia (93%), Germany (86%), Japan (83%), and India (75%) are all record highs for those countries in Gallup trends that stretch back at least a decade. Additionally, the survey finds Great Britain (90%), France (75%), and Israel (71%) rated near their all-time highs.

A whopping 96% of Americans have a generally favorable view of Canada, while 3% view it unfavorably. That favorable rating is the highest Gallup has measured for any country in more than 20 years of asking this question. Canada's 93% ratings in 1987 and 1989 were the previous high favorable for any country. Complete country-by-country results are found on page 2.

Ratings Improve for Cuba, Egypt, Mexico, and Saudi Arabia

Four countries that are not well reviewed nevertheless enjoyed some improvement in their U.S. image this year:

Cuba's favorable rating rose to a new high of 37%, up from 30% in 2011. This contrasts with 10% viewing it favorably in 1996.

Egypt's rating recovered somewhat to 47%, after slipping to 40% in 2011 from 58% in 2010.

Mexico is now viewed favorably by 51% of Americans, up from 45% in 2011, but still below the 67% to 74% ratings seen from 2001 to 2005.

Saudi Arabia's rating has increased to 42% from 37% a year ago and is the highest for that country since February 2001, when it was 47%.

Einbroch

Banned
Canada seems pretty sweet to me. I'm shocked that many people positively view Mexico. Between the drugs and "damn aliens", I thought America would view them very negatively.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
And with bagged-milk awareness at an all time high! I'm shocked!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So, I'm gonna guess loads of countries were just left out of this survey? Because surely Americans don't feel more favorably toward Afghanistan, North Korea and Iran than Sweden, Norway, etc.?

Thought this was interesting:

Only one country this year -- China -- suffered a real decline among Americans, with its favorable rating falling from 47% in 2011 to 41% today. However, China's favorable rating has been in this range for the past decade.

U.S. favorability toward China had dipped to even lower levels in the decade after the June 4, 1989, Tiananmen Square massacre. China achieved its highest U.S. favorable rating, 72%, just a few months earlier, after then-President George H.W. Bush returned from a state visit to China.

q-qx4mqk8k6eww-lall9xg.gif

Xeke

Banned
So, I'm gonna guess loads of countries are just left out of this list? Because surely Americans don't feel more favorably toward Afghanistan, North Korea and Iran than Sweden, Norway, etc.?

Nope. None are left off. Those are all the countries in the world.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
So only 3% are currently aware of our secret agenda. Good. GOOOOOOOOOOD!

Trurl

Banned
Canada loves you too, America.

I'm honored that my country is viewed so favorably by such an amazing people.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Muahahaha, this is just to pacify you lot while we slip bagged milk into your markets.

In what context do they judge the countries? The politics of the country? The environment? The culture? The people? Saying "I don't like Mexico" doesn't mean anything without a context.

For example North Korea is pretty messed up but I'd still love to go, so...I like North Korea?

Korey

I think that to other countries, having America like them is like winning the Nobel Prize, while Americans couldn't care less if other countries like them or not

CTE

Well, We DO have the better Corn Pops up here. Also still have French Toast Crunch. Combine that with a sack 'o' milk and you got some good eatin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom