• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

Quick

Banned
j1SnFpZBWvmzM.png

Welcome to the 2012 playoffs thread!

Fire away! Stretch those boxes where they stand.

2012 NHL Draft Lottery
  1. EDMONTON OILERS
  2. COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS
  3. MONTREAL CANADIENS
  4. NEW YORK ISLANDERS
  5. TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS

Important links:

Playoff Schedule

Bracket up!

Rellix put this together for us for the playoffs. Make your picks, let the fates decide, earn points.

How it works:
1 point for each team correctly picked to the second round
2 pts for the third
3 pts for the finals
4 pts for cup winner

Be sure to visit the NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Ducks Hunting for Nails in the Off-Topic forum!

jbvCtBiQvjatCZ.png

ibk6KxWkoObYI1.png

iZEGVAkO4bxa6.png

ibgtdn7vWs5il0.png

jqIDmlA6TKYrg.jpg

CCF23

I really dig that standings picture.

Also...So nervous. Canucks didn't trail a series last year until they lost game 7 of the Cup Finals.

Acid08

Banned
Best time of the year. Some killer series in the first round.

NYR VS OTT - Rangers in 6

BOS VS WASH -Bruins in 7

FLOR VS NJD - Panthers in 6

PITT VS PHI - Penguins in 7

---------------

VAN VS LA - Canucks in 6

STL VS SJ - Sharks in 6

PHX VS CHI - Chicago in 7(depends on Toews return)

NASH VS DET - Red Wings in 7

Go Sharks!

CCF23

There's a part of me deep down inside that genuinely wants to jump on the Tabris "fuck everybody, we're going to win" train, but that's only because I feel like the Canucks are right in their window and if they don't do it in the next year or two it's never going to happen.

So incredibly nervous. We need to win a Cup while the team is this good. Once it's gone it could be a long time before we're ever this good again.

Tabris

Last time you said something was destiny it felt like I got stabbed in the kidney when all was said and done.

And this time it will be the greatest feeling of your life!!! Let's do this!!!

EDIT - Even though I don't like that first picture... Nice OP!

ZeroGravity

Great OT for what's hopefully a great playoff.

Rangers over Senators in 6
Bruins over Capitals in 5
Panthers over Devils in 6
Flyers over Penguins in 7

Canucks over Kings in 4
Sharks over Blues in 7
Blackhawks over Coyotes in 6
Predators over Red Wings in 7

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
This thread belongs in OT :/

Also, I'm with you Tabris, we'll win this. Last year was emotionally wrecking, this year will be euphoric.

VAN vs LAK - Canucks in 5
STL vs SJS - Blues in 6
PHX vs CHI - Hawks in 6
NSH vs DET - Predators in 7

VAN vs Hawks - Canucks in 7
STL vs NSH - Predators in 5

VAN vs NSH - Canucks in 6

East

NYR vs OTT - Rangers in 5
BOS vs WSH - Bruins in 6
FLA vs NJD - Devils in 4
PIT vs PHI - Flyers in 7

NYR vs NJD - Rangers in 6
BOS vs PHI - Flyers in 7

NYR vs PHI - Flyers in 5

Cup
VAN vs PHI - Canucks in 7

Here we go...

Vancouver vs. Los Angeles, in 5
Team that can score vs. team that can't do shit.

St. Louis vs. San Jose, in 5
I hate Ken Hitchcock, so there.

Phoenix vs. Chicago, in 4
Quebec is thataway, start packing.

Nashville vs. Detroit, in 6
Better talent, more experience, better coaching.

New York vs. Ottawa, in 7
The playoffs without an upset wouldn't be the playoffs. Safe is death.

Boston vs. Washington, in 5
Trap, trap, trap, trap, cycle, don't give a shit.

Florida vs. New Jersey, in 7
It's a tragedy that one of these teams will make it past the first round. Picking the Devils (ugh) because they didn't abuse the loser point to get here.

Pittsburgh vs. Philadelphia, in 7
It's a tragedy that one of these teams won't make it past the first round. Would be a conference final gem.

rellix

It's in the first post but i'll throw it down here too:

I made a pick 'em/bracket system for the playoffs.

http://goaliestatus.com/gafplayoffs

1 point for each team correctly picked to the second round
2 pts for the third
3 pts for the finals
4 pts for cup winner

tiebreaker is total number correct.

try to keep it to 1 entry per user and your username is preferable.

CCF23

Great OT for what's hopefully a great playoff.

Bruins over Capitals in 5
Panthers over Devils in 6
Flyers over Penguins in 7

Canucks over Kings in 4
Sharks over Blues in 7
Blackhawks over Coyotes in 6
Predators over Red Wings in 7

I like you.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Slick OP man good job.

Question for Nuck fans : If Nucks get bounced in say the 1st or 2nd round for whatever reason, or if they don't make the finals do you guys think Vigneault gets fired? Just wondering, cause I would be interested in bringing him back now that he has all this experience.

Smiley90

Slick OP man good job.

Question for Nuck fans : If Nucks get bounced in say the 1st or 2nd round for whatever reason, or if they don't make the finals do you guys think Vigneault gets fired? Just wondering, cause I would be interested in bringing him back now that he has all this experience.

No way he's getting fired IMHO. He's done a lot for the franchise and is extremely well liked by the players, I'm pretty sure he's as safe as it gets as a coach...

Slick OP man good job.

I can't see him being fired. I can see the media and fans calling for his head, but all things considering, he's been doing phenomenal. He got the team all the way to game 7 of the cup finals, he's got the team to two consecutive President's Trophies. I think regardless of outcome, he's safe in his job. He's to Gillis what Wilson was to Burke, except competent.

If anything, if Habs can get around that stupid as fuck bilingual requirement, they might want to take a look at McTavish. The man has been outstanding with our farm team. He's fantastic at developing young players, and for any team with lots of young players, he'd be a good pick. I wouldn't be surprised if Edmonton looks into him during the offseason as well.

Red_Man

No way he's getting fired IMHO. He's done a lot for the franchise and is extremely well liked by the players, I'm pretty sure he's as safe as it gets as a coach...
That's what I figure, but at what point do you draw the line, especially as been mentioned that Canucks have a pretty clear window ahead of them to get the cup. I just want a competent coach that can speak french so the media will leave him alone :(

CCF23

If the Canucks get bounced in the first round Vigneault will get fired. The expectations for the Canucks are far too high for him to survive losing to an 8 seed.

Smiley90

If the Canucks get bounced in the first round Vigneault will get fired. The expectations for the Canucks are far too high for him to survive losing to an 8 seed.

I just can't see it. President's Trophy 2x in a row, SCF Game 7, nope. That and the team and management love him, so even if they get bounced, I don't see him getting fired. However, IF we get bounced early AND play really bad next season, THEN maybe. MAYBE.

There's only one thing this season that could support AV being fired, and thats having McTavish still in the organization.

Red_Man

Boudreau surived the Caps getting bounced by the Habs. and that was a more unbelievable upset then the Kings upsetting the Canucks would be imo, so I would assume he would still last at least another year. Just entertaining the thought.

Smiley90

Boudreau surived the Caps getting bounced by the Habs. and that was a more unbelievable upset then the Kings upsetting the Canucks would be imo, so I would assume he would still last at least another year. Just entertaining the thought.

YOU'RE NOT GETTING HIM.

YOU CAN'T HAVE YOUR LOTTERY PICK AND NEW WINNING COACH IN ONE SUMMER.

GO AWAY.

hwu7q.gif

Fantastic OP, Quick! And fantastic work Rellix on the playoff bracket predictor! Laughed my ass off at the Rangers BG pics (as I went on to pick the Rangers to win)...

Imagine another Canucks vs Rangers SCF... At least that way if another riot happens people can just be like "oh we're just being ironic, that's all, we learned our lesson last year".

YOU'RE NOT GETTING HIM.

Boudreau? Yeah keep away - he's ours!

Smiley90

Fantastic OP, Quick! And fantastic work Rellix on the playoff bracket predictor! Laughed my ass off at the Rangers BG pics (as I went on to pick the Rangers to win)...

Imagine another Canucks vs Rangers SCF... At least that way if another riot happens people can just be like "oh we're just being ironic, that's all, we learned our lesson last year".

Boudreau? Yeah keep away - he's ours!

Vigneault.

Great job on the op but what the fuck is it doing in OT? It's not like bish will move it.

Great site for the playoff picks relix! to bad i choose the fucking hawks too win :(

Smiley90

Great job on the op but what the fuck is it doing in OT? It's not like bish will move it.

Great site for the playoff picks relix! to bad i choose the fucking hawks too win :(

aaaahahahahahahahahahaha. Don't you wanna win the GAF-competition?

Snaku

Banned
So awesome to see the Cats in the playoffs again after so long, but they aren't exactly the hottest team going in. I hope they can get back into a winning groove.

Mii

Banned
Reposting from April regular season thread:

These aren't the Blues I'm used to mocking over the past decade. I can only hope they end up playoff pushovers similar to their brethren of seasons past.

West

VAN vs LAK - Canucks in 6
STL vs SJS - Sharks in 6
PHX vs CHI - Coyotes in 6
NSH vs DET - Predators in 5

VAN vs SJS - Canucks in 5
PHX vs NSH - Coyotes in 6

VAN vs PHX - Coyotes in 6

East

NYR vs OTT - Rangers in 4
BOS vs WSH - Bruins in 5
FLA vs NJD - Devils in 6
PIT vs PHI - Penguins in 6

NYR vs PIT - Rangers in 6
BOS vs NJD - Bruins in 5

NYR vs BOS - Bruins in 6

Cup
PHX vs BOS - Bruins in 4 - The only time Phoenix will ever see the Stanley Cup. The Coyotes will be sold the following week.

This is slightly different from my picks for points. I flipped PIT and PHI. Still had NYR and BOS advancing to the conference though. That series is going to be quite the toss-up.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Alright, who picked St. Louis to win the Cup?

Just curious.

Here's my specific # of game picks:

Bruins over Capitals in 6
Devils over Panthers in 6
Penguins over Flyers in 5

Canucks over Kings in 5
Blues over Sharks in 7
Blackhawks over Coyotes in 5
Predators over Red Wings in 5

Top Bottom