• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale's The Walking Dead - Story Discussion (UNMARKED SPOILERS)

From this point on there will be unmarked spoilers, no black bars allowed in this thread! Stay out if you don't want to be spoiled on the story!

Pancho

Qurupancho
thank god somebody did it! Was getting tired of highlighting all of those black bars in the other thread xD

thank god somebody did it! Was getting tired of highlighting all of those black bars in the other thread xD

Yeah I couldn't believe there wasn't one. So I was wondering, since I haven't made it far in my piss Lilly off as much as possible playthrough, if you side with Kenny and kill Larry how does she react? In my main playthrough I sided with her and tried to help out her dad, she seemed greatful and saved Lee's life by shooting one of the brothers. Currently working through my PC playthrough, playing off an SSD and all the stuttering and frameskip that was in the 360 version is non existant - it is really smooth and looks soo much better on the PC.

Dram

So did the bandits rape/kill Jolene's daughter or did they give her to the St. John brothers? The reason I ask is because when Lee escapes from the freezer, one of the brothers says to keep one of them alive and kill the rest. One of the brothers gets excited, but the other one says he can't keep Clementine.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Yeah I couldn't believe there wasn't one. So I was wondering, since I haven't made it far in my piss Lilly off as much as possible playthrough, if you side with Kenny and kill Larry how does she react? In my main playthrough I sided with her and tried to help out her dad, she seemed greatful and saved Lee's life by shooting one of the brothers. Currently working through my PC playthrough, playing off an SSD and all the stuttering and frameskip that was in the 360 version is non existant - it is really smooth and looks soo much better on the PC.

I sided with Kenny and she obviously gets REALLY mad at you, screaming at you if you try to loot Larry's corpse. You first have to ease her into it so you're able to get the coins from his pocket. Also, when one of the brothers is fighting with you outside the barn, she doesn't take the shot, you eventually fend him off by yourself.

So did the bandits rape/kill Jolene's daughter or did they give her to the St. John brothers? The reason I ask is because when Lee escapes from the freezer, one of the brothers says to keep one of them alive and kill the rest. One of the brothers gets excited, but the other one says he can't keep Clementine.

I'm not sure about this, in the video camera doug fixes for you, she calls the bandits rapists at some point but she also says so much senseless things that I'm not so sure what she meant.

Archurro

Can't wait to see what's the theme of episode 3/what happens. From what I remember from the sneak preview and the image with a train in the episode select screen, I'm guessing there's finally gonna be a split where Kenny and co. travel away(on the train) presumably to the coast while Lilly stays where she eventually meets up with the governor. I'm guessing this will happen in the 2nd half of the episode, not sure what's going to happen in the first half.

But yeah fuck Kenny, it seems like you're gonna be with him until the end, but god damn his stupid actions during episode 2.

ArjanN

So did the bandits rape/kill Jolene's daughter or did they give her to the St. John brothers? The reason I ask is because when Lee escapes from the freezer, one of the brothers says to keep one of them alive and kill the rest; he says not to keep Clementine though.

I'm pretty sure it was the bandits. Jolene said they took her into the forest, It makes sense as they're also the ones set up as a threat to Clementine through the camera footage at the end of the episode.

TheDanger

Banned
Did anyone predict the whole cannibalism thing ?

I kind of thought of it one time but I wasn't sure and am I weird for killing Jolene ? Only 11% killed her. And she definitely wasn't Clementine's mother right?

God knows what the woman had to endure. I'm pretty sure if her daughter is alive, she won't be in any emotional state to be useful to herself. What I want to know is how did Jolene get Clems hat? In addition to be crazy is she a ninja?

It was Jolene recording the Motor Inn, not the bandits.

Pancho

Qurupancho
So let's get the discussion started. Did anyone predict the whole cannibalism thing ?

I kind of thought of it one time but I wasn't sure and am I weird for killing Jolene ? Only 11% killed her. And she definitely wasn't Clementine's mother right?

I think the cannibalism thing was pretty obvious, all the time I was thinking "Mark...it's what's for dinner!"

kingocfs

So let's get the discussion started. Did anyone predict the whole cannibalism thing ?

Yeah, the cannabalism wasn't much of a surprise, but the way they had you put the hints together was fantastic. Sneaking upstairs during the dinner was great.

And I brought up the Jolene stats in the other thread, couldn't believe I was in the minority either.

Dram

I kind of thought of it one time but I wasn't sure and am I weird for killing Jolene ? And she definitely wasn't Clementine's mother right?

No Clementine's mom is Diana http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Diana

skgDg.png

After reading the comics I sort of called the cannibalism thing from the very beginning. The humans are more dangerous than the zombies in the comic books.

It's crazy how I changed though. In the first episode I sided with Kenny for the most part in the first episode, and also fed his family in this one, along with feeding Clementine(who wouldn't feed her). But when it came to Lilly's dad I sided with her, I couldn't bring myself to make the decision to kill him. Lilly was cool with me after that and had my back and saved my life.

From the looks of the next episode, Kenny is mad at me. But I'm liking Lilly more than Kenny now. I wasn't liking her at first buy my opinion about her changed as the 2nd episode went along.

Its not what you do, its how you do it. I was onto the Cannibal business from the time Jolene started her rant, but they way Telltale prolonged it. Brilliant.

ArjanN

Yeah, the cannibalism angle was obvious, and IMO you were supposed to realise it before Lee did. it's the tension of the audience realising something before the main character. Cannibalism is also a staple for this genre of fiction.

Jolene is sort of the same, even if you might have shot her in real life, it makes no sense to kill her without hearing her out, as (on a meta /story trope sort of level) you know there's going to be more to her story and the farm guys are likely going to be evil.

And no she wasn't Clementine's mother. Her daughter was taken by the bandits and she went crazy and just focused on Clementine because she was also a little girl.

After reading the comics I sort of called the cannibalism thing from the very beginning. The humans are more dangerous than the zombies in the comic books.

It's crazy how I changed though. In the first episode I sided with Kenny for the most part in the first episode, and also fed his family in this one, along with feeding Clementine(who wouldn't feed her). But when it came to Lilly's dad I sided with her, I couldn't bring myself to make the decision to kill him. Lilly was cool with me after that and had my back and saved my life.

From the looks of the next episode, Kenny is mad at me. But I'm liking Lilly more than Kenny now. I wasn't liking her at first buy my opinion about her changed as the 2nd episode went along.

In the first episode Kenny just seemed protective of his family, in this one he was an asshole and a coward. There was no real reason to kill Larry that quickly, and he doesn't even help you fight the brother.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member

I did. From the moment you met the brothers I knew they had set that trap. Then walking up to the farm confirmed it. It was just obvious from a mile away for me due to having read the comics. I still liked how it was done though. Episode was every bit as good as the first.

Dram

I think the cannibalism thing was pretty obvious, all the time I was thinking "Mark...it's what's for dinner!"

Does anyone one else think it was the St. John brothers who attacked Lee and Mark. Or at least signaled the bandits to attack them? It just seemed weird for them to be attacked and then Mark is wounded and cut up later. If Mark didn't get hurt how were they going to feed everyone?

Also I'm pretty sure Kenny's going to end up stabbing the Lee in the back later. When one of the St. John brothers had the gun on Lee in the barn, he stayed hidden instead of helping, when he easily could have.

TheDanger

Banned
Yeah, the cannabalism wasn't much of a surprise, but the way they had you put the hints together was fantastic. Sneaking upstairs during the dinner was great.

And I brought up the Jolene stats in the other thread, couldn't believe I was in the minority either.

This was the best part of the whole game so far, so fucking good.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
Does anyone one else think it was the St. John brothers who attacked Lee and Mark. Or at least signals the bandits to attack them? It just seemed weird for them to be attacked and then Mark is wounded and cut up later. If Mark didn't get hurt how were they going to feed everyone?

I have no doubt they were tied to the bandits. That's one reason the bandits are going to come back to haunt Lee and company. I have no doubt of that.

megalowho

*slow mo runs down the stairs, bursts into the dining room*

IT'S PEOPLE!!!!!

*you pretty much freaked everyone out*

Did anyone predict the whole cannibalism thing ?

Yeah if you look in the original thread I called it 30 minutes after the game came out. Only because I knew Gary Whitta was a writer on the series and I had seen Book of Eli where the cannibals were acting very similar. I do agree with a couple of people that said it felt forced a bit, considering they had corn fields and it was only 3 months after the initial outbreak.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't see the cannibalism til the opening farm door. I did get something was wrong though.

So...whose car is it at the end.?m!????

Dram

Yeah, I was wondering if that was a tie-in to the comic or something. Other wise it just seems weird that someone would just leave the car there. Wasn't their noise like someone was moving around in the car when Lee saw it?

Pancho

Qurupancho
Yeah, I was wondering if that was a tie-in to the comic or something. Other wise it just seems weird that someone would just leave the car there. Wasn't their noise like someone was moving around in the car when Lee saw it?

I think the noise they heard was the beeping the car was making because the door was open.

Yea they telegraphed the cannibalism thing too obviously. Although I must say, the whole 'going to a farm with a mysterious locked barn door' is becoming too cliche. They could have handled the whole situation without falling back on something that has already happened twice (in the comics and then in the series).

Can someone who saved Doug say what he does in this episode? Carly was missing for most of it, but she showed up with her gun when it mattered.

Chatin

Doug created a bell warning system to let us know if anyone approached the motor inn. Doug and the student went back to the motor inn while everyone else stayed at the Dairy. Doug showed up as Lee escaped the Barn and attracted Lee with a laser pointer. He later used the laser pointer to help Lee out against the older brother. At the end, he picks up the batteries out of the car and hands them to Lee for the camera.

Xyrmellon

I shot Jolene too, but immediately regretted it because it didn't fit the character decisions I made in Episode One. She just kept ranting though...I couldn't take it. Also, I didn't realize Clementine was black. I guess that's why everyone thinks she's Lee's daughter.

Doug created a bell warning system to let us know if anyone approached the motor inn. Doug and the student went back to the motor inn while everyone else stayed at the Dairy. Doug showed up as Lee escaped the Barn and attracted Lee with a laser pointer. He later used the laser pointer to help Lee out against the older brother. At the end, he picks up the batteries out of the car and hands them to Lee for the camera.

Yeah I eluded to that in the previous thread.

The way Dougs crude alarm system worked was genius, not only from a point that the device worked, but they way that simple addition transitioned the interaction with the St.John boys to the Group. They were actually shocked they had gotten caught in the line. It was wholly more filling and enriching to the narrative.

He had two hilarious sequences as well. At the Motor Inn when the kid turned Z and attacked Kat, he came to help with a piece of wood to hit him, but it broke over his head, and Doug was like "Ohhhhhhh" and ran off to get another weapon. Also when he took the basket from Momma St.John. His face. Priceless.

At the farm at the end. After you chose to kill or not to kill the brother you see this red laser light in the rain and darkness. I was like "What! Sniper?!" "No, its Doug". He used the laser pointer as a means to attract Lee to the gate, and they both planned where Lee would go in through the front and Doug and the kid would go around back.

In my game. Doug outright fixed the camera and handed it to me.

ArjanN

Yea they telegraphed the cannibalism thing too obviously. Although I must say, the whole 'going to a farm with a mysterious locked barn door' is becoming too cliche. They could have handled the whole situation without falling back on something that has already happened twice (in the comics and then in the series).

Can someone who saved Doug say what he does in this episode? Carly was missing for most of it, but she showed up with her gun when it mattered.

I don't think the cannibal thing was too obvious because I think that was intentional, it's a common device in horror fiction to create tension by letting the audience know more than the characters.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Also, walking into the house through the screen-door was such an amazing scene. In hindsight, I can hardly believe it was the Telltale engine. At the time, I was so in the moment I didn't care.

Lots of little things impressed me this time. Things like hearing the thunder in the scene(s) before the rain actually started and being able to see your face in the puddle reflection at the end.

*slow mo runs down the stairs, bursts into the dining room*

IT'S PEOPLE!!!!!

*you pretty much freaked everyone out*
so good

heh, I wonder if anyone didn't see the cannibalism coming almost right away?

I feel like it was intentional though. There's something to be said for winking at the audience and then building up tension for a long-ass time before finally giving the player some release.

Struct09

The foreshadowing in this episode was definitely a bit too much. Still an awesome ride though, it was extremely tense in the dining room.

heh, I wonder if anyone didn't see the cannibalism coming almost right away?

I feel like it was intentional though. There's something to be said for winking at the audience and then building up tension for a long-ass time before finally giving the player some release.

I saw it coming, but kept trying to talk myself out of it. like "surely they wouldn't go THERE this early" but you knew the brothers were up to something as soon as you hit that farm.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The Mother not letting you in the house and talking about it being custom built were the big giveaways, if there was any doubt before, anyway.

Crub

I think spoilsers should still be used when talking about the comics. I have only read compendium one and did not know about any canibalism. :(

Trigger

So...whose car is it at the end.?m!????

Bandits? The roads near the farm seemed pretty dangerous. I'm not convinced it wasn't a trap, but I can't imagine what the trap would actually be. Drugged food?

In the first episode Kenny just seemed protective of his family, in this one he was an asshole and a coward. There was no real reason to kill Larry that quickly, and he doesn't even help you fight the brother.

Does that always happen? I sided with Lily in the meat locker to save Larry, and assumed he was still angry.

idk if i missed something, but was mark introduced to the group during the 3 month gap from the ending of episode 1 into episode 2? Cause i dont ever remember him being in episode 1.

Pancho

Qurupancho
idk if i missed something, but was mark introduced to the group during the 3 month gap from the ending of episode 1 into episode 2? Cause i dont ever remember him being in episode 1.

Nah you didn't miss anything, he's just there at the beginning of episode 2. They meet him during the 3 month gap.

BiggNife

Yes, he joined the group during the gap. They explain in the beginning that they found him at the Air Force base, which was swarming with zombies.

BiggNife

Also,
Its not what you do, its how you do it. I was onto the Cannibal business from the time Jolene started her rant, but they way Telltale prolonged it. Brilliant.
This, pretty much. I had guessed cannibalism was a possibility when they mentioned other people had been to the farm but no one stayed - Jolene's rant confirmed it for me.

However, the fact that I knew it was coming made the next half-hour to an hour truly suspenseful/gut-wrenching. I absolutely dreaded going upstairs to Mark's room because I already had an idea of what I was going to see.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Was what was in the blocked off section of the house ever actually expanded upon? I assumed the zombie-Dad would be back there being fed people as well, or something.

Barryman

Great episode.

I must be a total dope because I didn't see the cannibalism thing coming. Obviously something was amiss with the St. Johns but didn't call the cannibalism angle specifically. To be fair, though, I wasn't surprised when it did come out, but I still found the whole arc to be pretty enjoyable.

The only thing I thought was lame about the story this episode was the ending. The plot twist/smash cut seemed pretty forced, didn't really seem as though it was as much of a revelation as it was intended to be.

GolazoDan

Yeah, the cannibal thing was pretty clear early on but I liked it for that reason. Loads of hints but I could see where it was going when they were building up to the meal and, of all the people I spoke to, I'd never seen Mark since he got the arrow in the shoulder. Poor fucker. Him dragging himself down the stairs and pleading for help was a dreadful moment and everyone in the room being all OH GOD matched my reaction.

It's going to take some effort to top that brick on Larry's head mid-CPR. Literally one of the greatest things I've ever seen in a video game. Complete with the ability to give CPR to a headless body.

I was pretty much yelling at my screen when Lee saw the room and accepted that it was an animal slaughterhouse. The tension during that scene was amazing.

I was pretty much yelling at my screen when Lee saw the room and accepted that it was an animal slaughterhouse. The tension during that scene was amazing.

Lol, when Andrew asked me what I was doing, and if I didn't hear the bell for supper. I didn't even know which option to pick. It was insane. I just went with silence because I thought he would out right attack me then and there.

But in those house, all bets were off. I ran down stairs ( seemingly I was late ) entered the room stumbling, screaming SPIT THAT OUT! Clems face was priceless and she spat out the partially chewed food.

Then a bit later on, I screamed for Clem to run and Andy grabbed her hair. I was like WTF!! Rage!! Told him I'm going to kiiiilll yooooooou....

Trigger

The walled off section of the house is probably for bodies or something.

Great episode.

I must be a total dope because I didn't see the cannibalism thing coming. Obviously something was amiss with the St. Johns but didn't call the cannibalism angle specifically.
To be fair, though, I wasn't surprised when it did come out, but I still found the whole arc to be pretty enjoyable.

The only thing I thought was lame about the story this episode was the ending. The plot twist/smash cut seemed pretty forced, didn't really seem as though it was as much of a revelation as it was intended to be.

You're not alone. I assumed they were bandits, not cannibals.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Here's something I kind of remember reading somewhere. But Episode 1 takes place about the same time that Rick goes into the hospital (that it takes place 3 months before Rick wakes up). So, Episode 2 takes place about the same time Rick wakes up.

No connection, obviously, but I kind of remember that detail.

I had a bad feeling from the start (the music gave it away for me)
But I didn't start seeing something really wrong, until I found that camp, and the mixture of the dialogue of the brother and the lady. Followed up with the not being able to see Mark, why the mom is sitting outside and not cooking.

My choices ended up being

Ep1
go for help in the day
Lie to Herschel (though, I'm not sure how, I was attempting to be honest, must have been a wonky choice somewhere)
I was more or less honest with Clem about Lee's past
I gave the gun to the motel chick
I think I let on that Lee knew the owners of the drug store (maybe told someone it was Lee's parents store)
chose Carley over Doug

Ep2
I cut that dudes leg off. Kid #2 stumbled into the mouths of zombies
I try to remain neutral between Lily and Kenny over the fate of the new people.
I gave food to the 2 kids, Mark, and begrudgingly Larry. Duck and Larry seemed to be neutral efforts to appease the 2 centers of power.
I gave Mark the axe
Mark attempted to save me with the axe, but it gets stuck on the truck. Carley shoots the zombie in the head for Lee.
Lee decides to exchange the gas and go on the trip to the dairy
I try to be neutral or vague about Lee and how many people are in the camp, when questioned by the brothers.
I fix the swing at the farm. Clem thanks Lee. <3
I try to listen fully with Joelyn, but the brother shot her as she's about to say something important.
After finding Mark, I manage to get down the stairs fast enough, and yell out DON'T EAT THAT. Clem doesn't eat any of it. I yell for Kenny to get his gun, but he's kenny, and can't do anything right.
In the meat locker, I basically don't make a choice, the timer runs down. Kenny kills Larry, is mad with Lee because he just stayed back, Lily doesn't seemed fully pissed off with Lee.

Here's where I ran into problems: I kept not killing the 1st brother (usually I attack with the taser, Kenny does nothing, and Lily saves me with the sickle). I talk with Carley, and then make my way to the house. My problem ended up being my fault, but I couldn't figure out how not to get shot by Brenda. I died 5 or 6 times, before realizing I have to freeze when she pulls up her gun.

It just happens on the attempt that I figured it out (I thought I glitched the game, so I kept redoing the barn stuff), I had killed the 1st brother. I hate that Clem saw that.

Afterwards, the tussle with Brother 2 happens, I fight him off (after Lily saves me from the fence), proceed to beat the snot out of the brother, and after provacation (he said he'd come after us. Knowing TWD like I do, I know a surprise visit from this asshole would bring consequences), I kicked the brother into the fence.
I chose to raid the abandoned car, and let Clem decide to just hold onto the hoodie till the owner wants it back.

Afterwards, I went back and messed around with some choices. The one interesting thing I found, was that in the fight with Brother 2, if you don't punch him when he's on the ground, he'll flip you over, and you get stuck in the same situation (with him bashing your face in) I managed to kick him off me, and in the process of fighting, he falls onto the fence. But this time, he didn't die. That's when the option of walking away/killing him comes up. But another difference is, Lee has picked up the brother's rifle. The choice to kill him, involves shooting him in the head (SPLAAAAT)

I now want to redo other choices in Ep1, to see more differences (Doug instead of Carley, and can Duck die if you try to save Shawn Greene?)

Also, interesting that someone here stated that Lily eventually runs into the Governor in the comics (is she the one that...you know...) Interesting turn of events if true...

Its impossible to save Shawn. His death was more to set the dynamics of the individuals in the group following the incident on Herschels farm.

Don't worry though, I will take care of Kat, she is a good woman, but I just won't let her see me kill her useless son and deranged husband.

Top Bottom