• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2014, PC/NextGen): Game Informer March 2013 [Updated OP]

I thought level design was the most obvious concession for consoles. There's no way you'd see something like Chapter 4 of the original game on consoles. They made up for it on ridiculous detail level, but by my second play through I knew where all the separate stitched together maps were that made up Flotsum's forest. You start to notice how all those craters used around Vergen are strategically obstructing your view.

That's one of the things I look forward to on the next gen of consoles though. They're finally not so far behind on memory from PCs that we have to resort to Crysis 2/Invisible War type culture shocks when franchises have to drastically change their level design to move to consoles.

Sentenza

The lock-on centric gameplay is pretty wonky no matter how many times they've patched it and feels a lot less responsive than the simpler mouse targeting in TW1, too.
To be fair responsiveness was never the strong point of both games, and I wouldn't even blame that on consoles, as much as CDPR simply fucking up on that side.

It's not like playing TW2 with a controller suddenly made it a lot more smooth. It was a mess even by console standards in that sense.

zkylon

zkylewd
To be fair responsiveness was never the strong point of both games, and I wouldn't even blame that on consoles, as much as CDPR simply fucking up on that side.

It's not like playing TW2 with a controller suddenly made it a lot more smooth. It was a mess even by console standards in that sense.
My idea came from the lock-on system being something you see more on console games but that's fair, I'll concede you that.

Sentenza

My idea came from the lock-on system being something you see more on console games
Well, it is, but other games handled it better.
The main issue with responsiveness in both The Witcher games is how CDPR people are way too fond of those elaborate combat animations and they seem to put little care in making them also quick to execute and to interrupt.

That said, while I'm not exactly confident the sequel will be leagues ahead in that sense, it's at least encouraging that they recognized the issue and promised to do things differently this time.

RedSwirl

Just finished up a fan translation of Sword of Destony. Shit. Has. Begun.

I still don't know why they passed over this book for an official English version though. It introduces one of the main characters of the series and what looks like will be the secondary main character of this game.

I still don't know why they passed over this book for an official English version though. It introduces one of the main characters of the series and what looks like will be the secondary main character of this game.
I always assumed because Blood of Elves starts with a healthy dose of Triss who at the time was more important to the games.

Perkel

Banned

You know who is Yennefer and why she is awesome ?

squidyj

No black and white, good or evil decisions in the game. Choices often impact things later in the game that you don't realize when you're making them. So you can't make a decision, then immediately reload and make the other decision to see which result you like better.

First game is poorly paced, unfortunately, and like others said doesn't really feel like the full game until after those sewers.

It's not even just not having black and white decisions, you don't have shades of grey decisions informed by that black-white moral gradient. What you have instead is a collection of valid viewpoints and some rather ruthless individuals that while you might wind up choosing to side with them, it's not because you agree with them but because Geralt needs them as much as they need him.

Furthermore I think more importantly than not having the results of decisions be immediately apparent is that for the most part they aren't tied to concrete tangible in-game benefits which would cause the player's decision making process to divorce from Geralt's decision making process. Rather than worrying about missing out on gear you're more free to play the character.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Just now getting deep in Witcher 2 (Xbox) and am at chapter 3. The title to Witcher 3 makes much more sense when you know what the Wild Hunt are.

xenist

Nice to see a Witcher game get so much publicity.

Can you imagine that they only had to say it is going to be multiplatform for the media in the US to give a shit about it? If they come out and say it's going to lead with consoles a bona fide media feeding frenzy may break out.

Derrick01

Banned
Nice to see a Witcher game get so much publicity.

Can you imagine that they only had to say it is going to be multiplatform for the media in the US to give a shit about it? If they come out and say it's going to lead with consoles a bona fide media feeding frenzy may break out.

They still wouldn't care about it as much as a Bethesda/Bioware game. They only give moderate attention to any other RPG.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Finally wrapped up W2 tonight. Adored the narrative and characters, but much like the first game, I felt many of the popular flaws to be apt. Combat and environments felt rigid and restricted, while the UI needs work. More like a lateral shift from the same issues of the first game rather than an improvement(though the first game did have more expansive settings and combat arenas, the sheer detail in part 2 was stunning...even on Xbox).

The first game did a better job at presenting decisions that were far more 'grey', often requiring you to painfully decide between horrible scenarios. The second game rarely gave me that feeling in the choices. Live or die being brought up several times ala Bioware. Still, I was enthralled by the events and storytelling throughout.

Looking very forward to this new game.

Sentenza

Just a quick update: according to an interview with CD Projekt's CEO, they will show the game at E3 behind closed doors but there won't be a public reveal.

So, in short, no TW3 at E3. Cross your fingers for GamesCom.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Europe is where their bread is being buttered. There's no need to keep throwing themselves against the wall in order to get some US attention. Gamescom is cheaper and more relevant for them.

they need US attention to get sales and they will throw themselves against the wall and breach it.

xenist

they need US attention to get sales and they will throw themselves against the wall and breach it.

Everyone bitched and moaned about TW 2 having to be on consoles in order to really sell. They did it. They even did a great job with it. The PC version still outsold the console version by a factor of 4 or 5. Didn't work out so well. I don't want them spending money and effort without a return.

Cels

I'm pretty hyped for this. I loved TW1 and 2. Some may say TW2 combat is clunky and unresponsive, and in some respects it was, but I feel like the some of the "unresponsiveness" has to do with how certain movements have very long animations so you are stuck in them until you finish. If you are mashing attack buttons you will immediately continue into the next attack chain because you queued it up. It was probably intentional that you can't just cancel your way out of every action by dodgerolling.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Everyone bitched and moaned about TW 2 having to be on consoles in order to really sell. They did it. They even did a great job with it. The PC version still outsold the console version by a factor of 4 or 5. Didn't work out so well. I don't want them spending money and effort without a return.
I don't remember anybody moaning about TW2 being in consoles in order to sell well. It had always been a PC game first and foremost. TW3 will have a benefit of one of the first major next-gen RPGs so they have reasons to push it.

Bedlam

Yeah, because a version that comes out one year after the game's debut has a chance of outselling the original version.

But I agree that they should concentrate on their core-fanbase and a GamesCom reveal does make sense in that regard.

Sentenza

I should stress that a gamesCom reveal was just my speculation.
For all we know they could even decide to not show the game entirely this year.

However long it takes for them to get that new renderer running.

Actually I wouldn't mind seeing some early combat footage, all the changes sound great.

Sorry for bumping this up. But I have a problem with my preorder of TW3 Collectors Edition:

Basically I pre-ordered it on Amazon UK and now it's gone from my orders page.
Sending emails to Amazon UK support asking why it's gone and got this response:

Greetings from Amazon.com.

Thank you very much for contacting us regarding this matter.

The hold has been removed from your Amazon.com account. Once your order has been shipped we will send you an email notification to advise you that your order is en route.

Please do let us know if you have any other questions or concerns or if we can help you in any other way possible. Thank you for shopping at Amazon.com.

Sincerely,

I don't know what "The hold has been removed from your Amazon.com account" means but I still cannot see it in my orders page.

So I followed up by asking what if I need to change my shipping details or to cancel it and no response since (10 days now).

Anyone got the same problem?

PFD

Sorry for bumping this up. But I have a problem with my preorder of TW3 Collectors Edition:

I don't know what "The hold has been removed from your Amazon.com account" means but I still cannot see it in my orders page.

So I followed up by asking what if I need to change my shipping details or to cancel it and no response since (10 days now).

That's weird. Do you still have the confirmation email in your inbox? Try forwarding them a copy and ask them about its status

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Did you happen to pre-order when it was ~99 GBP? I wonder if this is Amazon trying to weasel its way out of its pre-order price guarantee due to the massive difference.

Did you happen to pre-order when it was ~99 GBP? I wonder if this is Amazon trying to weasel its way out of its pre-order price guarantee due to the massive difference.
I have one of those (PC version).
Still there.
Items: 79.16
Postage & Packing: 5.12
Total before VAT: 84.28
VAT: 21.07
TOTAL: 105.35 GBP

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dries

So all three games are set after every single published book, right? I've read The Last Wish and obviously, that's the prequel. Currently I'm reading Blood of the Elves, but I'm not sure when that takes place.

Top Bottom