• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atari announces Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit for the XBOX 360/PS3 (PR)

eve241

Teknoman said:
Take one look at Burst Limit's Gamespot preview video and that should change your mind.

That's just it. I got the exact same problem with that video than I did with the Budokai games. You can't keep hitting your opponent with combos for big periods of time. With Tenkaichi I just loved the fact I didn't need to use my ki to kill the opponent - if are a good fighter it's just awesome to be able to combo your enemies relentlessly and all over the screen.

As pretty as it is it seems exactly like a Budokai game.

Teknoman

Well even in the sparking/tenkachi series, you still needed to limit ki consumption to take advantage of teleport combos and countering. Unless you're talking about special attacks in general.

eve241

Teknoman said:
Well even in the sparking/tenkachi series, you still needed to limit ki consumption to take advantage of teleport combos and countering. Unless you're talking about special attacks in general.

Yeah that was it basically.

Also there is something else about Tenkaichi which I find a lot better which is the ability of using 3 different attacks at any given time without QTEs and only dependent on your power-up bar.

I hated Dragon Rush and the necessity to have to guess in order to preform a move. What the?! Sure there is a way to narrow down the chances depending on the difficulty level (you can pretty much guess right when you are fighting the AI on Easy for example...) but if I masters the game I should be able to do those moves when I want to.

I would be ok with them requiring a ridiculous amount of ki to perform them, but guessing is just not right.

Endow said:
That's just it. I got the exact same problem with that video than I did with the Budokai games. You can't keep hitting your opponent with combos for big periods of time. With Tenkaichi I just loved the fact I didn't need to use my ki to kill the opponent - if are a good fighter it's just awesome to be able to combo your enemies relentlessly and all over the screen.

As pretty as it is it seems exactly like a Budokai game.
That's exactly how I feel about Burst Limit and after seeing Teknoman's video's of Tenkaichi 3, I really want a 'next-gen' sequel of that DBZ franchise next time around.

Teknoman

Endow said:
Yeah that was it basically.

Also there is something else about Tenkaichi which I find a lot better which is the ability of using 3 different attacks at any given time without QTEs and only dependent on your power-up bar.

I hated Dragon Rush and the necessity to have to guess in order to preform a move. What the?! Sure there is a way to narrow down the chances depending on the difficulty level (you can pretty much guess right when you are fighting the AI on Easy for example...) but if I masters the game I should be able to do those moves when I want to.

I would be ok with them requiring a ridiculous amount of ki to perform them, but guessing is just not right.

Well thats one thing I didnt like was the dragon rush required specials. The Dragon rush was cool, but requiring you to use it for special attacks wasnt that great. But thats been long gone since the first PSP game. I'll try to see if I can find some nice Shin Budokai 2 vs videos since thats about as close to seeing what may be instore for burst limit.

Also I kinda hope Sparking series gets a revamp for the Wii exclusively. Im sure that if those games look nice when being made to spec for the PS2, a ground-up designed Wii Sparking series game would look really nice. Not Burst Limit nice, but still good. That and I really like how motion controls have progressed to the quality they are in BT3. Everything is just so easy to pull off and with great precision.

the game REQUIRES you to mash on buttons still? WTF damn that was the worst thing about these games. I had hope the game would improve more stuff than just graphics.

Teknoman

Kabuki Waq said:
the game REQUIRES you to mash on buttons still? WTF damn that was the worst thing about these games. I had hope the game would improve more stuff than just graphics.

Well this is different. I dont think any DBZ fighting game required button mashing to win a struggle ( i.e. Samurai Showdown). They required analog spinning (which I always lost since I didnt want to break my stick), which they seem to have done away with since Shin Budokai (and tossed it with the Wii version of Tenkachi 3/ Sparking meteor but thats another story) arrived. Now that the rush battles are back, they seem like combo set pieces rather than openers to moves.

soul

Famitsu confirms release date in Japan is June 5, 2008

Boxarts:

61lkiB2Q7RL._AA280_.jpg

51hBUoYW1CL._AA280_.jpg

Teknoman

raYne said:
Earlier than expected.

Oh, and that boxart sucks.

Yeah. First time the japanese boxart will most likely look worse than the NA or EU art.

Though I hope videos start surfacing with the actual soundtrack of the game intact, and confirmation of worldwide online play through any version of the game. That way i'll know if I should import or not.

raYne

Issun23 said:
I like it, reminds me of the manga illustrations.
I don't mind the color scheme. Frieza's fine, but Cell looks stupid. Goku could've used a different stance as well.

Issun23

Meristation.com had a pretty in-depth preview a few days ago. Here's the summary:

- Modes: Story, Versus (against CPU, Player, Online), Trial Mode, Practice Mode, Options.

- The game uses re-mastered versions of the most popular tracks from the anime.

- The game in inspired by both the anime and manga.

- There are lots of what if's; these are triggered according to how the battles go.

- Cut scenes ("Drama Pieces") are completely integrated into game play.

- The game runs at 720p (1080p not available).

- Movement is similar to the Shin Budokai series, characters can move in 3D, not just sidestepping.

- Ki is being changed a bit. Super moves like the Genkidama cannot be used over and over as these are very powerful and energy consuming attacks.

- Those little icons under the health gauge are called "Power Ups". The player will be able to choose these before a match and they'll affect the drama pieces during the fight. Example: you choose a senzu power up and another character pops up during game play throwing the senzu at you when you trigger the item.

- The graphical engine used is called "High Quality Toon Shading" and was developed for this new series of DBZ games.

- Sound is in Dolby Digital.

- Story mode is presented well and cut scenes between battles tie up the action to the point that game play does not feel like a continuous series of fights.

Source

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Issun23 said:
Meristation.com had a pretty in-depth preview a few days ago. Here's the summary:

- Modes: Story, Versus (against CPU, Player, Online), Trial Mode, Practice Mode, Options.

- The game uses re-mastered versions of the most popular tracks from the anime.

- The game in inspired by both the anime and manga.

- There are lots of what if's; these are triggered according to how the battles go.

- Cut scenes ("Drama Pieces") are completely integrated into game play.

- The game runs at 720p (1080p not available).

- Movement is similar to the Shin Budokai series, characters can move in 3D, not just sidestepping.

- Ki is being changed a bit. Super moves like the Genkidama cannot be used over and over as these are very powerful and energy consuming attacks.

- Those little icons under the health gauge are called "Power Ups". The player will be able to choose these before a match and they'll affect the drama pieces during the fight. Example: you choose a senzu power up and another character pops up during game play throwing the senzu at you when you trigger the item.

- The graphical engine used is called "High Quality Toon Shading" and was developed for this new series of DBZ games.

- Sound is in Dolby Digital.

- Story mode is presented well and cut scenes between battles tie up the action to the point that game play does not feel like a continuous series of fights.

Source

Is this VO or the actual music!??! If music will we have the Japanese stuff too!?

Teknoman

I just hope people come up with translation faqs if the JP music isnt in the english version of the game. I felt my way through Jump Superstars and DBZ Super Butoden 2 (SNES back in the day), but im not so sure about a game with an online mode/numerous power ups.

LRB1983

Banned
McBacon said:
What does FPO mean
According to wikipedia:
In design and printing, FPO means for position only or for placement only. Blank placeholders or temporary low-resolution illustrations are labelled with the acronym FPO to indicate where the final version of an image is to be placed in the final file, film, or plate. FPO images are commonly used while the layout of a print project is being determined, and/or when desired images are still to be scanned or photographed. They preserve the pagination that will be needed once the final images are added.

raYne

The US 360 cover is better, but I don't really like that either. Heh.

Metalmurphy said:
How come the European cover still has Budokai written in Japanese?
So do the others. Why would they single out the Euro cover?

LRB1983

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
How come the European cover still has Budokai written in Japanese?
No idea, but Super Dragon Ball Z (PS2) and Dragon Ball Z Goku Densetsu (DS) have Kanji and occidental alphabet, too.

LRB1983 said:
No idea, but Super Dragon Ball Z (PS2) and Dragon Ball Z Goku Densetsu (DS) have Kanji and occidental alphabet, too.

Yeah but the Budokai series don't, which is why I'm asking
Dragonball%20Z%20Budokai%203%20PS2.jpg

Just a bit odd, wouldn't be surprised if it changed in the meanwhile.

I'm looking foward to this game more then ever, decided to go out and buy a copy of Budokai 3 for the ps2 I was given last christmas. While I use to own the first one before I gave away my first ps2 and have played 3 a bit at a cousins house playing my own copy has got me pretty hyped for this new game :D

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Metalmurphy said:
Yeah but the Budokai series don't, which is why I'm asking

Just a bit odd, wouldn't be surprised if it changed in the meanwhile.
Because the game has the same name/logo worldwide this time, Budokai is a name Atari used (until Shin Budokai).

jrricky

Banned
Why didnt they push this series forward with Tenkaichi 4. This is what you call taking a step back and seems very ironic.

Snaku said:
http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/142/14224981/vids_1.html

New trailer, with English voices, and the lyrics of "Kiseki no Honô yo Moeagare!!" have been removed. Standard operating procedure, eh Atari?

And holy crap the Japanese cover art is so much better than the American version. Import get.

Terrible trailer and if they removed that song from the game, I might have to import it.

does the euro verison of it have japanese audio?

kurahadol

Linkzg said:
Terrible trailer and if they removed that song from the game, I might have to import it.

does the euro verison of it have japanese audio?

Every release has had a lyrical song for an intro and the lyrics have been removed for the US release.

Teknoman

With multiregional confirmed for online play. I might just go ahead and import the japanese PS3 version. Though im still waiting on video impressions to judge the music, voices, etc.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
virtuafightermaster said:
The game only includes up to Cell saga, no Buu story arc. How lame is that?

Maybe think about this man because I shiver at the thought of it! Donwloadable Content! Raping micro transactions here they come!

Elbrain said:
Maybe think about this man because I shiver at the thought of it! Donwloadable Content! Raping micro transactions here they come!

Or even better: DBZ Budokai Burst limit 2 at full retail price with 5 new characters and one added story arch! Wooo!

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
kiruyama said:
Or even better: DBZ Budokai Burst limit 2 at full retail price with 5 new characters and one added story arch! Wooo!

Bah you guys are crushing my dream of Only just buying 1 DBZ game and then just download all the characters later bah.

Kibbles

Elbrain said:

No, actually in the 'On the Spot' preview the guy says there will be no Downloadable Content because (ironically) they want to stuff as much as they can into the game and not want to have people pay for stuff later.

Top Bottom