• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogamer.com 17 min playthrough of Rambo Video Game

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
GOTY right here folks, Naughty Dog you can cancel Uncharted. There is no way you can beat this.

SEGA should have just ported the very good light gun game to XBLA/PSN....

If they can't afford the license just get Hiroshi Fujioka, he's got to be cheaper

Rambo-Segata-Sanshiro.jpg

Abdozer

On-rails and a Rambo game....why.

This should've been like, MGS-style gameplay or something. Anything but on-rails.

I know a guy who's the community manager for the European publisher of this game, amazingly nice guy, but I feel bad for him having to hype this game as his job.

This is a whole new level of terrible, oh my god.

atr0cious

Only one player character for co-op is so thematically perfect. You're two men trained to trust each others lives. If you don't move as one unit, everyone dies. Can't wait to pick this up on PS plus.

Oersted

Read an interview about it. Thats a pub who never developed a game. They got the IP trough their pub money, and this is their first attempt on developing. They see it as a start, promised their is more to come.

Read an interview about it. Thats a pub who never developed a game. They got the IP trough their pub money, and this is their first attempt on developing. They see it as a start, promised their is more to come.

Did they also got the 'Ride to Hell: Retribution' IP? ;)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think it looks kind of fun. I'm a sucker for light gun games, although using an analogue stick spoils it.

oxidax

Why is this game even out? This is terrible! It looks like it was made for mobile and then ported to Pc! and is it coming to consoles as well or no? Fomg!

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I would play that and enjoy the shit out of it. Hopefully it's going dirt cheap on the key trading sites on PC.

Nimajneb

This actually makes perfect sense. The only was the further streamline modern shooter design was to remove walking all together. The next generation of AAA shooters starts here.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not gonna lie, I think it looks perfectly fine and fun for a cheapo budget game/lightgun shooter. Should be a blast using the mouse for it.

CamHostage

The hell? The game is published by Reef Entertainment (European producer for a bunch of Rebellion's old stuff, like Snipe Elite and Rogue Trooper) and the developer is Teyon in Krakow, a team that has 30-some games under its belt (no big ones, and almost all are European releases, but you could find one or two of its titles on a store shelf.)

Minus the faces, the game visually doesn't look that bad. The gameplay now...haha!

To be fair, the video fairly well fucks everything up about it that could possibly be enjoyable. These players don't know what they're doing (even halfway into the clip and after checking the controls, they still can't figure it out even though it's a bone-stupid lightgun game,) they didn't know coming into it that it's a lightgun game and cannot BELIEVE that it is what it is, and they spend most of the video complaining that they don't know how to play the game and thus that's the game's fault. Also, they play 2P co-op, which is an option in the game but doesn't really seem like it plays to the game's strengths in any way, be they what they may be. Not that I expect "reverent preparation" from guys playing a game just for shits and giggles (this game is for sure mediocre at the very best) but it can't be that hard to figure out a lightgun game's gameplay in 17 minutes of gameplay, right?

I feel bad for the developer. This is probably a big license for them. But this game looks awful

I wouldn't feel too bad for the developer, they knew what they were doing and they must know what to expect from the audience because they've done it before, several times. Rambo runs on the engine that powered the Heavy Fire games, which are these sharp-looking, super-dumb on-rails shooters that started on the Wii (where lightgun play had a short rebirth due to the WiiMote... no Time Crisis on the platform though?) and branched out to 360/PS3 (also there are some portable versions of it.) These are semi-retarded TC clones that look surprisingly nice and have massive gibs and sell to bored people who like to pull triggers and already own all the Call of Duties.

Here's a clip of the most recent one, Heavy Fire: Shattered Spear (2013)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNAGO3363qw

As much as the franchise owners and licensees would love to pretend that Rambo is a AAA franchise worthy of being made as a big Metal Gear or Crysis type game as some have suggested, the franchise isn't that anymore, and the backers are hardly ready to help try to make it so again. So instead, they whipped together something based on a proven hit using an engine that'd look nice in screenshots and trailers, and they're ready to take what they get.

Only one player character for co-op is so thematically perfect. You're two men trained to trust each others lives. If you don't move as one unit, everyone dies. Can't wait to pick this up on PS plus.

God, i hope you are joking. Using the term "thematically perfect" here is just...

Anyway, I'd rather play this instead:

At least the soldiers don't look like pod people.

Top Bottom