• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did Halo Wars never come out on PC?

Wiktor

Because Microsoft considers PC as mortal enemy to their Xbox brand. That's why they systematically wiped out their whole PC gaming division in a way that would make Electronic Arts blush with jeleausy.

Wiktor

Why is it okay for Sony and Nintendo to keep games off PC, but not MS? They lose either way.

Unlike Microsoft Sony actually does regularly release high end PC-centric titles.
Also..there are plenty of games that simply don't work on Xbox 360, both gameplay-wise and sales-wise, that do well on PC. There's really no reason why Microsoft can't develop PC exclusives alongside 360 exclusives. If they did, it would be win-win, instead of "They lose either way"

fantomena

I personally think Microsoft fears Valve ven though they said sometime they are not afraid of them.

Sony on the other hand has many times said they are looking at Valve.

RE_Player

Because we are not real potential customers? Right...

This is about aiming for the core group who will carry on the "word" to their close circle of friends/family/acquaintances. These people will not care about what the core group cares about, but they listen to them. These people will also carry on the "word" to their close circle.

It's called "ripple effect".
I agree with the sentiment I just don't think it's significant in terms of potential brand damage. We are potential customers but Neogaf is not the biggest market in the slightest. We are talking about games that have had their retail cycle. Not 1 or 2 years later but going on 4 and 5. It is not unreasonable.

Mael

Its the same, its about the brand. When people play PC games they don't ever consider it a MS Platform. Its PC, or Steam. How many people do you know claim they game on "Windows"? Putting a game on both weakens Xbox exclusivity and makes it less unique. People bought PS3s last gen for blu-ray and exclusive games you can't play anywhere else. Same with the Wii.

This is absolutely stupid to look at it this considering that they built their entire brand for the dev as a branch of their Direct X tools.
If you owned a windows 8 box you'd see ridiculous it is to claim that MSFT think that Windows and xbox compete against each other.
It's like saying that Nintendo shouldn't put Mario games on their console because it's a threat to their handheld business.

fantomena

Metal Gear Solid is on PC, how come the others didn't make it?

It did not sell well due to piracy at that time and the port was shit?

These days when PC gaming has become quite popular thanks to Steam making it more "mainstream", many PC gamers want the MGS HD collection on Steam.

Even Square Enix want's more FF game son Steam due to the rerelase of FFVII and VIII on Steam has been very popular.

Even Killer is Dead is coming to PC/Steam, a game I could NEVER see coming to PC.

Also, Im pretty sure the reason CapCom choseto make a better RE4 port that just released on Steam exclusively for Steam is because the other RE games has sold well on PC/Steam. I mean, they wouldn't have made RE 4 HD for PC if the series have sold bad on PC.

Doffen

I agree with the sentiment I just don't think it's significant in terms of potential brand damage. We are potential customers but Neogaf is not the biggest market in the slightest. We are talking about games that have had their retail cycle. Not 1 or 2 years later but going on 4 and 5. It is not unreasonable.

NeoGAF in it self is not a large market, no. But you need to look at who each consumer brings with them. This is why Microsoft are focusing on multiplayer games like Titanfall; in hopes of that current consumers will bring their group friends over to the ecosystem.

Don't undersell your value in the market.

RE_Player

Even Square Enxi want's more FF game son Steam due to the rerelase of FFVII and VIII on Steam has been very popular.

Even Killer is Dead is coming to PC/Steam, a game I could NEVER see coming to PC.
Both excellent examples of the PC market has changed and become a viable platform. If you would have told me these types of games would be released on PC 6 years ago I would have called you insane.

EvB

I was always under the impression that

In 2008 they were really heavily building the Xbox brand

The game was built with controllers and console players in mind and I can imagine that people were saying it was 'dumbed down' for console.

Also it sold really badly

RE_Player

Don't undersell your value in the market.
Why thank you lol. Again I agree with your sentiments. I'm not even suggesting old Xbox 360 ports is another pillar of Microsoft's business at large. Just throw a team or two at porting a couple games and make some money to fund some cool little PC and Xbox games. I just want everyone to be happy.

SparkTR

Probably because Microsoft were just about ready to throw Ensemble under the bus, and the sales weren't all that great on the 360.

Wiktor

Probably because Microsoft were just about ready to throw Ensemble under the bus, and the sales weren't all that great on the 360.

Closure of Ensemble and Aces was such tragedy. It's a moment when it became painfully obvious Microsoft will never again properly support PC as a gaming platform.

tipoo

Banned
Same reason as Halo 3.

Because reasons.

(plus the xbox is in a battle for marketshare while WIndows is still pretty ubiquitous. )

watership

This is absolutely stupid to look at it this considering that they built their entire brand for the dev as a branch of their Direct X tools.
If you owned a windows 8 box you'd see ridiculous it is to claim that MSFT think that Windows and xbox compete against each other.
It's like saying that Nintendo shouldn't put Mario games on their console because it's a threat to their handheld business.

Doesn't matter, either way, MS loses. Push PC, people will disassociate MS from it's success, even if the sales are there. Push both, Xbox suffers. Push Xbox, people hate on MS for avoiding PC. It's a brand/image issue that will never go away because how how MS is seen, no matter what they do.

And If they don't compete against each other, why is the #1 reason claim why many say they don't need to get an Xbox as "Because I have a PC."?

injurai

Banned
Well now that Ensemble is dead, I can't really see them valuing the Halo Wars branch as a potential addition in the Xbone's library.

Seems like to me the only reason to not bring it out now on PC, would be due to issues regarding the input overhaul, or just a lackluster showing in comparison to other RTS titles. Surely they could just enable controller support, but I suppose they don't want any potential of raised eyebrows.

LQX

Because idiots that never looked out their windows ran MS. All the Halo offshoots should have come to the PC. There is no doubt they would have been well received if they did a good job porting them.

injurai

Banned
Because idiots that never looked out there windows ran MS. All the Halo offshoots should have come to the PC. There is no doubt they would have been well received if they did a good job porting them.

I obviously don't think MS needs to release these things in the same frame as the Xbox. They really should consider bringing the Halo series in general over to the PC at some point. Perfectly fine it it's an entire generation behind.

Now I'm getting offtopic. But MS killed the servers for those old games, you can't play MP anymore. Enabling dedicated servers that players themselves can run would be ideal. Plug in to steamworks for matchmaking and all that.

Gestault

Hope I'm not derailing here, but I think this is easily one of Microsoft's best first party games ever. It's such a damn shame that Ensemble is gone.

I really, really enjoyed Halo Wars. Considering the presumed input limitations of the platform for the genre, I think it's one of the best single-player RTS experiences. Production values are great, too.

Herne

Because Microsoft thinks that by withholding Halo for exclusive release on the XBox, they're going to entice me into buying one. Well, sorry Microsoft, there are far too many fps' out there as it is on pc, and far more interesting games that will never come out on console, so I really couldn't care less myself. I'm sure some percentage of pc gamers were enticed over due to games like Halo and Gears of War, but my interest in the Halo series dropped off pretty quickly when I played the first game.

I just hope for a sequel. My tastes are pretty much in the Grand Strategy camp now (thanks Paradox!) but when it came out I was loving it. The balance was pretty much spot on.

No it wasn't at all.

Hawks, Prophet, Warthogs, Tank.
Every patch they would nerf something and every patch something new would become OP.
That being said though after 500+ hours it was probably my most fond game of the generation. I would buy an Xbox One if a sequel was made.

legacyzero

Banned
Microsoft doesn't hate PC gaming specifically. They just hate ecosystems they can't control, of which the PC is a premiere example.

Does that make it better?

And this is what I don't understand. They have the opportunity to make money. Yet they pass it up.

Megatron

I obviously don't think MS needs to release these things in the same frame as the Xbox. They really should consider bringing the Halo series in general over to the PC at some point. Perfectly fine it it's an entire generation behind.

Now I'm getting offtopic. But MS killed the servers for those old games, you can't play MP anymore. Enabling dedicated servers that players themselves can run would be ideal. Plug in to steamworks for matchmaking and all that.

But then how can Microsoft resell you halo 2 anniversary this year? I think the idea of people forever playing their old games instead of buying their new games is abhorrent to Microsoft.

Top Bottom