• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2014 [Up2: PS4/XB1/Wii U/360 Hardware, BD/Poke/DK]

prag16

Banned
So 6m to 3.5-3.6m globally, depending how well Xbox is selling in the other countries. Still close to 2:1 globally, and PS4 is still supply constrained. I predicted 700k PS4 and 400-500k Xbox in March.

Sony knows March is a big month, I'm confident they'll do everything they can do put a lot of supply in the US. It wouldn't be a surprise if Xbox took NPDs in March, but still lost globally. Even with the March bump PS4 eventually hitting 2:1 globally seems like a sure thing.
700k? What?? I guess I'm no expert and I could be wrong but that sounds high, like really high... almost as ridiculous as the guy who predicted 300k+. Wii U's for June.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I never said that. It is still supply constrained.

You called it technical though which prompted my response. In the end, I'm not too certain MS is going to pull out the win this month. We still haven't heard any form of PR from EA or MS about Titanfall and we know how much MS likes to toot their horn.

Road

February sales comparison:

GC 2003: 165k
Wii 2008: 430k
Wii U 2014: 80k

PS2 2001: 230k
PS3 2007: 130k
PS4 2014: 270k

XBX 2002: 140k
360 2006: 160k
XBO 2014: 260k

GBA 2004: 350k
DS 2007: 485k
PSP 2007: 175k
3DS + Vita 2014:~175k

GC had a big jump from January 2003 (80k). I don't know if there was a price drop or something else.
I don't have DC sales for February 2001, but it was officially killed by Sega on January 2001 (they announced production would end in March 2001), so congrats Wii U for still being alive.

Isn't 2008 better comparison for PSP/DS?

I picked the 4th, 3rd or 2nd February for each company respectively, with the exception of Vita/PSP. Feb 2008 is when PSP had its 3rd February, but since it was released in Mar 2005 -- one month difference from Vita in Feb 2012 -- I decided to use Feb 2007.

QFT.

In fact last gen was pretty perfect for us gamers. Some healthy competition, only minor trolling and some awesome games.

TBH I think this gen is going to end up more or less the same. A pity the Wii U seems to be struggling so hard... I would have loved 3 well selling consoles.

Anyway... I am sure the only way is up for the XBox One in the US.
Ps360 gen pales in comparison to ps2 gen. Although maybe Im biased because last gen is when japan start to drop the ball for console gaming.

February sales comparison:

GC 2003: 165k
Wii 2008: 430k
Wii U 2014: 80k

PS2 2001: 230k
PS3 2007: 130k
PS4 2014: 270k

XBX 2002: 140k
360 2006: 160k
XBO 2014: 260k

GBA 2004: 350k
DS 2007: 485k
PSP 2007: 175k
3DS + Vita 2014:~175k

GC had a big jump from January 2003 (80k). I don't know if there was a price drop or something else.
I don't have DC sales for February 2001, but it was officially killed by Sega on January 2001 (they announced production would end in March 2001), so congrats Wii U for still being alive.

Isn't 2008 better comparison for PSP/DS?

TyrantII

yeah rumors against real problems.

It's a real problem when billion of dollars are being spend on a devices division that adds less than 1% to your net profits; and the new CEO, the new division VP, and shareholders are all restless. Like it or not, thats the reality of the situation and they need to do better than they have historically.

Those are real business viability problems that need to be addressed one way or another. its no surprise they went on a monetizing binge and tried recapturing some consumer surplus with DRM, and killing used games among other plans.

Likewise Sony is in real trouble with their LCD product lines and a few other electronic product lines. Which is why they're making moves there and split it off and outright sold their PC business.

Same ideas at work there. Shareholders like money and they want to move investment away from those areas that make them less to those that they make more, and could make more.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Proof that Lego can hold it's own without a licensed IP. all the more embarrassing for Lego City really.

Lego City released on a console with a horribly low user base. Lego Movie released on every console, meaning literally millions more people were able to buy the game.

JaggedSac

You called it technical though which prompted my response. In the end, I'm not too certain MS is going to pull out the win this month. We still haven't heard any form of PR from EA or MS about Titanfall and we know how much MS likes to toot their horn.

Yeah, the numbers aren't too great if they aren't saying anything.

jcm

Good morning all. Here are some YOY and Gen over Gen comparisons. The 3DS and PSV numbers are guessed individually, but correct combined. Aren't you glad you're not in the dedicated handheld business?

Year Over Year
Code:
         2014     2013    % Change
XB1       258             
360       114      302     -62.25%
PS4       270             
PS3       102      262     -61.07%
WIU        82       66      24.24%
WII        39       99     -60.61%
3DS       153      189     -19.05%
NDS                101    
PSV        24       38     -36.84%    
PSP                  9    

Family                  
MSFT      372      302      23.18%
SONY      396      309      28.16%
NINT      274      455     -39.78%

HAND      177      337     -47.48%
CONSOLE   865      729      18.66%
Gen over Gen
Code:
Console   2014    2007    % Change
360                228     
PS2                295     
WII                335     
PS3                127     
TOTAL      865     985     -12.18%

Handheld  2014    2008    % Change
NDS                588     
PSP                243     
Total     177      831     -78.70%

Triple U

Banned
I don't think the xbones numbers are that surprising. I figured last month was a unusually low number. Even still, I'm doubting Titanfall's console moving power.

Bgamer90

Banned
So 6m to 3.5-3.6m globally, depending how well Xbox is selling in the other countries. Still close to 2:1 globally, and PS4 is still supply constrained. I predicted 700k PS4 and 400-500k Xbox in March globally.

Sony knows March is a big month, I'm confident they'll do everything they can do put a lot of supply in the US. It wouldn't be a surprise if Xbox took NPDs in March, but still lost globally. Even with the March bump PS4 eventually hitting 2:1 globally seems like a sure thing.

I think it's pretty much set that the Xbox One is going to lose in worldwide sales. More expensive + released at the same time as the PS4 (with PS brand being more popular worldwide).

I am actually happy to see sharp declines in PS3 and XBox 360 sales because that means developers will shift over quickly to the new hardware and not have this cross generation mentality when creating the games.

I think it's pretty much set that the Xbox One is going to lose in worldwide sales. More expensive + released at the same time as the PS4 (with PS brand being more popular worldwide).

Sony always had better wordwide appeal and now with a $100 reduction compared to being more expensive last generation they will do even better. I think that's great because it will put more pressure on Microsoft to deliver and invest more into providing games.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
OMG at those PShita sales...

It has to be hard at this point even for niche publishers to find success.

Bgamer90

Banned
I am actually happy to see sharp declines in PS3 and XBox 360 sales because that means developers will shift over quickly to the new hardware and not have this cross generation mentality when creating the games.

Yeah, that's pretty much why I care about these sales right now. I want to see fewer cross gen games.

OMG at those PShita sales...

It has to be hard at this point even for niche publishers to find success.

I dunno about that. Us sales are low monthly, but there are enough of them out there now and the userbase is keen to buy any cheap titles they can.

But it will never attract additional AAA western games at this rate.

Guymelef

Good morning all. Here are some YOY and Gen over Gen comparisons. The 3DS and PSV numbers are guessed individually, but correct combined. Aren't you glad you're not in the dedicated handheld business?

Year Over Year
Code:
         2014     2013    % Change
XB1       258             
360       114      302     -62.25%
PS4       270             
PS3       102      262     -61.07%
WIU        82       66      24.24%
WII                 99    
3DS       165      189     -12.70%
NDS                101    
PSV        10       38     -73.68%
PSP                  9    

Family                  
MSFT      372      302      23.18%
[B]SONY      382      309      23.62%[/B]
NINT      247      455     -45.71%

HAND      175      337     -48.07%
CONSOLE   826      729      13.31%
Gen over Gen
Code:
Console   2014    2007    % Change
360                228     
PS2                295     
WII                335     
PS3                127     
TOTAL      826     985     -16.14%

Handheld  2014    2008    % Change
NDS                588     
PSP                243     
Total     175      831     -78.94%

Is that official?
PS4+PS3= 370k

Vita 12k?
3DS 163k?

Hammer24

Banned

Wait a minute - you sure with Vita ~10k?!

Cheech

Yeah, that's pretty much why I care about these sales right now. I want to see fewer cross gen games.

Indeed. I would like them to 'Wii U' the 360 and PS3.

I actually had zero interest in the new Batman game until I found out it was current gen only.

Chindogg

Lego City released on a console with a horribly low user base. Lego Movie released on every console, meaning literally millions more people were able to buy the game.

And to be fair, Lego Movie was a huge box office film. It basically was a licensed game.

Not to say Lego City didn't fail because Wii U's userbase is so small, but let's not deny that Lego Movie isn't an adapted game.

Tomcat

It's a real problem when billion of dollars are being spend on a devices division that adds less than 1% to your net profits; and the new CEO, the new division VP, and shareholders are all restless. Like it or not, thats the reality of the situation and they need to do better than they have historically.

Those are real business viability problems that need to be addressed one way or another. its no surprise they went on a monetizing binge and tried recapturing some consumer surplus with DRM, and killing used games among other plans.

Likewise Sony is in real trouble with their LCD product lines and a few other electronic product lines. Which is why they're making moves there and split it off and outright sold their PC business.

Same ideas at work there. Shareholders like money and they want to move investment away from those areas that make them less to those that they make more, and could make more.

again the same misinformation about elop and the new ceo.
Elop never said anything about wanting to sell the xbox division and satya is supportive of the xbox division too. Yes there is a particular vocal shareholder with 0.81% that doesn't want xbox or bing. That doesn't mean ms will abandon the xbox though.

Ricker

Good numbers for the X1...it's more out there then the PS4 but still not everywhere...in the greater Montreal area,If I where to call all the Best Buy's/Future Shop/Walmart/Target's etc etc out here to buy one today,I bet 80% of them could not sell me one because they are out of stock...

Bgamer90

Banned
Indeed. I would like them to 'Wii U' the 360 and PS3.

I actually had zero interest in the new Batman game until I found out it was current gen only.

I would have been interested in the new Batman game either way (rocksteady FTW) but the announcement that the game would only be on (now) current gen consoles greatly increased my hype. I'm pumped.

Triple U

Banned
again the same misinformation about elop and the new ceo.
Elop never said anything about wanting to sell the xbox division and satya is supportive of the xbox division too. Yes there is a particular vocal shareholder with 0.81% that doesn't want xbox or bing. That doesn't mean ms will abandon the xbox though.
I wouldn't call it misinformation. Elop hasn't said anything publicly on the matter to clear his position up either way. It's a rumour with a somewhat credible source.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
12k Really, really, I had to double take when looking at that. How the fuck could it sell that bad. That's like something you'd expect from Ouya.

Zok310

Banned
I don't see TitanFall pushing XB1 into the number 1 spot in March.
I would say otherwise if PS4 had no software and was still supplied constrained, no longer the case for March.
With SS and GZ launching a week after TF, I expect the same ratios for March that we had in February.
PS4>>>XB1>>>>>>>>>>>>WiiU.

It was a business decision that probably did not pay off

It's not like it is something foreign to Sony, they locked up EA Sports from the Dreamcast back in the good old days
As far as I know, it was EA who wanted sports games exclusivity on the Dreamcast, but SEGA of America had just established their Sega Sports 2K series.
No exclusivity, no publishing on the platform.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What are the actual plan Vita #s? I can't find them in the OP.

PS: Hey SCEA when you don't acknowledge a platform exists neither do your customers.

Cheech

Jesus christ those vita numbers are terrible.

Why is this shocking, though? The 3DS itself isn't blowing the doors off, and that's by far the more compelling of the two dedicated gaming handhelds.

At the end of the day, our phones and tablets killed gaming handhelds. The market for that stuff is just too niche to justify the investment. The sooner Sony kills the Vita, the better. They're just throwing good money after bad at this point by keeping that thing on life support.

Nintendo has no choice but to hang on, but they are never going to sell their games in massive quantities until they start putting them on non-cheesy hardware.

Lace

March is going to be interesting. Obviously completely isolated situation but in my shopping today I was surprised by the retail marketing blitz of titanfall. The front of every store had the game displayed along with a huge stack of Xbones close behind. Majority of the games were gone but I did notice something interesting. It seemed none of the consoles by themselves were selling. I feel like its a decent possibility most people who wanted the game already purchased their Xbone or grabbed a bundle. Regardless Titanfall should influence the stock sold even if just by a little.

On the opposite side I did notice that PS4's were finally in stock so perhaps there is some truth to Sony holding back stock in anticipation for March. Regardless, worldwide I believe Sony will continue to consistently dominate all year. US being the only market that they will have to fight for this year. At the end of the day I can't think of one generation where the console most favored by 3rd party developers failed to dominate the market. Exclusives appeal alone won't be able to overcome that, Wii U a prime example.

12k Really, really, I had to double take when looking at that. How the fuck could it sell that bad. That's like something you'd expect from Ouya.

Zero marketing, no major releases in ages, still priced too highly, etc.

SCEA effectively mismanaged it from day 1, and let all it's potential go to waste. I love mine, but damn if SCEA doesn't give you ever reason not to pick one up.

I don't see TitanFall pushing XB1 into the number 1 spot in March.
I would say otherwise if PS4 had no software and was still supplied constrained, no longer the case for March.
With SS and GZ launching a week after TF, I expect the same ratios for March that we had in February.
PS4>>>XB1>>>>>>>>>>>>WiiU.

I don't see how TF can't push XB1 ahead, it's a big hyped up game that seems to be obviously pushing console sales. The margins have gotten closer in Feb. Infamous has never been a big seller, people have a bit too high expectations from that when it's never been a blockbuster series. And GZ is multi plat. TF is going to push more hardware than SS ever will.

March is going to be interesting. Obviously completely isolated situation but in my shopping today I was surprised by the retail marketing blitz of titanfall. The front of every store had the game displayed along with a huge stack of Xbones close behind. Majority of the games were gone but I did notice something interesting. It seemed none of the consoles by themselves were selling. I feel like its a decent possibility most people who wanted the game already purchased their Xbone or grabbed a bundle. Regardless Titanfall should influence the stock sold even if just by a little.

On the opposite side I did notice that PS4's were finally in stock so perhaps there is some truth to Sony holding back stock in anticipation for March. Regardless, worldwide I believe Sony will continue to consistently dominate all year. US being the only market that they will have to fight for this year. At the end of the day I can't think of one generation where the console favored by multiplatforms failed to dominate the market. Exclusives appeal alone won't be able to overcome that, Wii U a prime example.

The PS4 will do best for March if they can stock properly. Infamous is coming. The XBox One will do well too because of Titanfall and Microsoft now bundling a free game. The Wii U on the other hand will continue to suffer, no big games.

liger05

Vita did 12k?

I thought last month was bad but this is simply beyond belief.

Zero marketing, no major releases in ages, still priced too highly, etc.

SCEA effectively mismanaged it from day 1, and let all it's potential go to waste. I love mine, but damn if SCEA doesn't give you ever reason not to pick one up.

Remote play and positioning it as a PS4 accessory until Playstation Now drops. I dont know what the plan is but it clearly isnt working!!

Is that official?
PS4+PS3= 370k

Vita 12k?
3DS 163k?
PS3+PS4 is 371K.

PS4 ~269K
PS3 ~102K

3DS and Vita combined is between 175K and 180K. I think the guestimates posted in that Y/Y overestimates 3DS and underestimates Vita.

Pretty much every platform saw a pretty big M/M jump, the only exception supply-constrained PS4, so I would have thought even dead dead Vita will have been dampened by whatever dampened everything else in Jan and would benefit from Feb.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
And to be fair, Lego Movie was a huge box office film. It basically was a licensed game.

Not to say Lego City didn't fail because Wii U's userbase is so small, but let's not deny that Lego Movie isn't an adapted game.

I thought I remember reading Lego City sold pretty well on both Wii U and 3DS. Your point stands, though.

I really, really wish more people could play LC: Undercover. Other than the ridiculous loading times, it's a fantastic game.

Taurus

Jesus christ those vita numbers are terrible.
Oh-Boy-Reaction-Gif.gif

Lace

The PS4 will do best for March if they can stock properly. Infamous is coming. The XBox One will do well too because of Titanfall and Microsoft now bundling a free game. The Wii U on the other hand will continue to suffer, no big games.
Assuming the PS4 wins the march NPD I don't think Infamous will be the deciding factor. The system already has a lot of pent up demand without it. However I would love to be wrong. World wide seems like a pretty solid bet though due to the addition of the Japan launch.

Top Bottom