• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Trilogy coming to vita?

oldmario

http://www.shopto .net/video-games/psvita/PSPVRA36-ratchet-and-clank-trilogy

is this known?

(link spaced because it's banned on gaf)

screencapped incase they remove the listing
fOBV237.png

The Jak port realllllllly makes me skeptical about any future Sony HD collections, but if this is a good port I'd love to have it on Vita.

rjc571

Banned
I wonder what it'll look like?
i2KKVSLj1EAJc.jpg

I'll be all over it if it's a competent port (i.e. native res at 60 fps), but nothing I've seen with PS2 ports on the Vita gives me any hope that that'll be the case.

Would be amazing if it backward supported Cross Buy (since I own the trilogy on the PS3 already). I think the EU digital version of the Jak trilogy actually did this.

Hell, if they're decent ports I'd still buy it day one. Those games are PERFECT for handhelds. The Ratchet series was never really as graphically intensive as the Jak games, so I think they'd be able to come over to Vita without much of a downgrade.

After the fucking nightmarish port of whatever the fuck that was on the Vita, I'm scared as shit for this.

Literally the worst framerate in a game I've seen. I'm glad it was free with purchase of the PS3 version, because I would have asked for a refund.

The_Monk

It might also get its release on Vita but the Description is from the PS3 Version fellow GAFfer:

Two PlayStation heroes are back to relive their first three adventures, remastered in stunning High Definition for PS3.
Head back to where it all began in three classic PlayStation 2 hits - Ratchet & Clank, Ratchet & Clank 2 and Ratchet & Clank 3 - on one Blu-ray Disc.
Load up on zany weapons and cool gadgets and show off your skills on the hunt for PlayStation Network trophies.
Enjoy the dynamic duo's quests in a thrilling new dimension with stunning stereoscopic 3D support.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
I wonder what it'll look like?
i2KKVSLj1EAJc.jpg

I'll be all over it if it's a competent port (i.e. native res at 60 fps), but nothing I've seen with PS2 ports on the Vita gives me any hope that that'll be the case.

MGS ports(at least MGS3 was) are great. Game is so smooth and looks great on Vita screen. I wish MGS3 was full 60fps like the console hd port but it still ran at a nice vsync locked 30fps with a few tiny performance dips and looked/ran better than PS2 which had crazy slowdowns.

After the fucking nightmarish port of whatever the fuck that was on the Vita, I'm scared as shit for this.

Literally the worst framerate in a game I've seen. I'm glad it was free with purchase of the PS3 version, because I would have asked for a refund.

Not to defend that port (it was truly atrocious), but that was a PS3 game they strangely decided to lazily port onto the Vita, as apposed to a PS2 game.

What was so bad about the Jak port, guys?

Jak 1 was solid as far as I could tell, Jak 2 had a few spots with noticable drops but was mostly fine and Jak 3 really suffered when multiple enemies are killed and in one of the later missions it would slow down signifiantly in the final section.

Arthos

Was the Jak trilogy on the Vita really that bad? :/

Either way, it would be pretty cool if this does happen. Never got around to playing the games on the PS2.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
So Sony's strategy for this year, regardless of if this is true or not, is HD Collections in lieu of native Vita games. There's a lot of things you can say about SCE Vita support but they haven't left it completely for dead yet. And I like to think they never will. I wonder how Sony will define their first commercial "failure".

mothball

fEqIR.gif

Who decided to give this the green light?

To say nothing of the performance, that screenshot makes it look worse than it actually is because it was taken when the firmware was fucking up all screenshots and making them look like they were resized without a filter.

Silky

Banned
Why the fuck do people want these games on PSV? Not only will they look and perform like ass if FFA Vita is anything to go buy, the Vita doesn't have L2/R2 buttons????

Nah breh, you can keep this shit

TomShoe

Banned
Why the fuck do people want these games on PSV? Not only will they look and perform like ass, they don't even have an L2/R2 button????

OK, Mr. All-knowing Insider, grace us with your "Talking Rectum of Infinite Knowledge". Maybe people like to revisit old games, or play classics that they never had the chance to. I for one, would love to play the R&C Trilogy since I never got to play them on PS3. Since you clearly know how it's going to look and perform, why not tell me about how the touchpad is going to replace the buttons?

rjc571

Banned
Why the fuck do people want these games on PSV? Not only will they look and perform like ass, they don't even have an L2/R2 button????

I want Ratchet & Clank on the Vita because Ratchet & Clank was excellent on the PS2, and I like playing games on handhelds. Even though I'm expecting the worst, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that the Vita is capable of running these PS2 ports at 60 fps and at native resolution, if Sony made a decent effort to ensure that the quality of the port was good. The controls shouldn't be a problem, they can keep strafe on the shoulder buttons, move the first person view (originally L1) and quick select menu (originally triangle) to the touch screen/rear touch pad, and move crouch (originally R1) to triangle.

Silky

Banned
OK, Mr. All-knowing Insider, grace us with your "Talking Rectum of Infinite Knowledge". Maybe people like to revisit old games, or play classics that they never had the chance to. I for one, would love to play the R&C Trilogy since I never got to play them on PS3. Since you clearly know how it's going to look and perform, why not tell me about how the touchpad is going to replace the buttons?

Considering the last R&C game released by Insomniac was a graphical mess on Vita, as seen in screens before, and considering the only logical place for the L2/R2 buttons to be using the touchpad like the Jak port did (which also performed like ass in terms of framerate) , it doesn't give me any hope regarding the quality of the product.

A trigger-heavy game like R&C needs, well, competent triggers like L2 and R2. I don't see how the touchpad can be a valid substitute.

Why am I to give faith to a team (Idol Minds assuming they're doing the ports of Ratchet Vita/insomniac likes working with them) that has very little to no Vita experience (their Vita game was cancelled) to port a shooter/platformer to a limiting handheld like the Vita? Seems like a waste compared to Jak which was only really delt with a shitty stick because of bad porting.

I want Ratchet & Clank on the Vita because Ratchet & Clank was excellent on the PS2, and I like playing games on handhelds. Even though I'm expecting the worst, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that the Vita is capable of running these PS2 ports at 60 fps and at native resolution, if Sony made a decent effort to ensure that the quality of the port was good. The controls shouldn't be a problem, they can keep strafe on the shoulder buttons, move the first person view (originally L1) and quick select menu (originally triangle) to the touch screen/rear touch pad, and move crouch (originally R1) to triangle.

That sounds like an incredibly uncomfortable experience. It doesn't help that the Vita has no clickable sticks L3/R3. Will the touchpad be able to substitute that? I doubt it.

Into the Nexus will be great for Vita because Insomniac is taking time with the game from the ground up to make sure they don't end up with another Full Frontal Assault. Outsourcing a PS3 trilogy port to another team to downsize and remap the controls to some bizarro scheme...just sounds awful.

Any way you cut it, comparing the current control scheme to Vita, things like strafing, weapon swapping, and the flow of combat will most likely be horribly nerfed on the Vita due to the limitations that the handheld has. There's no way around this.

Stuff like God of War, Jak, etc...they sort of work on Vita. Ratchet? Nah breh

I'd like to see the team working on these ports prove me wrong/eat crow or whatever. For now? With the evidence seen today? I have zero expecations for this to be a servicable port. It's a shame because Ratchet usually HAS great handheld installments.

If anything why don't they just update Size Matters/Secret Agent Clank's PS2 releases to Vita along with the Trilogy

Tagg9

Considering the last R&C game released by Insomniac was a graphical mess, as seen in screens before, and considering the only logical place for the L2/R2 buttons to be using the touchpad like the Jak port did (which also performed like ass in terms of framerate) , it doesn't give me any hope regarding the quality of the product.

A trigger-heavy game like R&C needs, well, competent triggers like L2 and R2. I don't see how the touchpad can be a valid substitute.

What are you talking about? Nexus was a beautiful game.

Drago

Yes, please! I was hoping this would happen.

Hope the ports turn out well, although I guess that may be a bit of a long shot. Would be a shame of the games clock in under 30 fps like the Jak collection does.

Silky

Banned
Well that game wasn't by Insomniac. It was a port by Tin Giant.

There lies the big issue; it's all a matter of 'who' is porting the games to Vita? Will it be Tin Giant, who as already shown that they don't know what the fuck they're doing in regards to porting stuff to Vita? Will it be Idol Minds, who has worked with the Handheld before but has no software that they worked on/ported on the handheld? Or will it be the Jak Vita team?

Either way the cards laid out right now are a really shitty set of cards and the only good option is that Idol Minds takes charge of the Vita port

It is what it is. Zero hope for whatever this turns out to be.

VeeP

There lies the big issue; it's all a matter of 'who' is porting the games to Vita? Will it be Tin Giant, who as already shown that they don't know what the fuck they're doing in regards to porting stuff to Vita? Will it be Idol Minds, who has worked with the Handheld before but has no software that they worked on/ported on the handheld? Or will it be the Jak Vita team?

Either way the cards laid out right now are a really shitty set of cards and the only good option is that Idol Minds takes charge of the Vita port

It is what it is. Zero hope for whatever this turns out to be.

Insomniac has said that if they release a Ratchet Vita game in the future, it would be a quality port, with them helping out on the project.

As for Jak Vita Port, one of the reasons that ran so badly was because Naughtydog did some crazy things with the PS2 hardware and coding. Google it.

Silky

Banned
Insomniac has said that if they release a Ratchet Vita game in the future, it would be a quality port, with them helping out on the project.

As for Jak Vita Port, one of the reasons that ran so badly was because Naughtydog did some crazy things with the PS2 hardware and coding. Google it.

See I'm pretty sure that's what they said about FFA. As much as I love Insomniac I don't really hold too much faith in their help with downporters.

I can't seem to find anything regarding Jak's magic PS2 sauce that ND made. Link?

Stuff like God of War, Jak, etc...they sort of work on Vita. Ratchet? Nah breh

Actually, yeh breh.

Even though the Ratchet games added more Third Person Shooter style controls with Going Commando and a bit more so in Up Your Arsenal, the crouch button and first person aiming mode were almost never used in my experience (outside of throwing the wrench. There's so much auto-aim you barely have to aim with anything other than the shitty sniper rifle. They are hardly "Trigger heavy" games outside of steady aim (L1) and shoot (R1). I think the later games made "Boost shoes" to a a trigger, but I don't think that was until the PS3.

Hell, the PSP Ratchet games played just fine and that system didn't even have a second analog stick or a touch screen. (they weren't the best Ratchet games, but not because they didn't play well)

FFA was definitely a shitty port, no doubt about that, but it was a PS3 game they were (foolishly) trying to get running on the Vita. It ended up looking like a PC game on the lowest possible settings and still ran like trash. I'd have slightly more faith that they could make a half-way decent port of the PS2 Ratchet games for the Vita since those are quite simple graphically (No open worlds like in Jak 2 or 3).

Flandy

I'm terrified of any ports Sony does after the Jak Collection. Please have Bluepoint, Hexadrive, or someone else competent to the ports Sony :\ I'm not going to support these shitty, sub native, sub 30 fps ports.

Top Bottom