• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4 Year Old Boy's Last Wish Is For A Star Wars Funeral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wag

muezwd2h6c2p9chwxlt5.jpg

icyks60ve24cpg7fsadu.jpg

Jack Robinson, from Portsmouth, England, was just four years old when he died earlier this month of an inoperable brain tumour. It's the most tragic of passings, but if there's any consolation to be had from such sadness, it's that Jack's dying wish (well, wishes) were granted.

http://kotaku.com/boys-dying-wish-was-for-a-star-wars-funeral-1564032493

So sad, but true.:(

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
...Damn. He went out in style. The classiest 4 year old I've ever heard of. RIP up in heaven with Obi-Wan and Yoda, little dude.

Anton668

Jack's parents, Terence and Marie, had helped him (and themselves) prepare by putting together a bucket list. Jack being four, he wanted to meet a pop star (he met Gary Barlow, formerly of Take That), have Doctor Who sing him the show's theme song (which the 11th Doctor, Matt Smith, duly did), and be buried with a Star Wars funeral.

his list and my list are uncannily similar...

Loofy

I probably would have spent that effort on something that he could have enjoyed while he was alive. Then again the family probably did that too.

Malreyn

Who the hell paid for this.

If that were my son, I'd say "I'll think about it" and probably not do it, claiming I forgot.

I'm on the fence on this. I agree that the child should have a more dignified funeral than Star Wars (I would never want something i enjoyed from my childhood associated with Loss, grieving, and death of a loved one)....On the other hand, it was their childs "Last wish" and if it was something that could be feasibly done, i feel like it should be done.

Ecotic

Honestly, if cost was an issue the parents probably could've made an internet post asking for help to make the kids' last wish come true and gotten a handful of Star Wars cosplayers to come forward. The only problem would be the transportation costs in getting them there (do a kickstarter or something).

UrbanRats

Man, you cold. I suppose you wouldn't give a drowning man a glass of water either?
Why would a drowning man want a glass of water? I don't get it.
-
Anyhow, sad story, can't imagine what the parents must have gone through.

I'm on the fence on this. I agree that the child should have a more dignified funeral than Star Wars (I would never want something i enjoyed from my childhood associated with Loss, grieving, and death of a loved one)....On the other hand, it was their childs "Last wish" and if it was something that could be feasibly done, i feel like it should be done.

The funeral isn't for the kid, he's dead so of course he won't be able to "enjoy" the parade.
It's clearly a ritual for the parents' grieving process.

I don't think "ruining their memory of Star Wars" was even a question, when it came to the idea of fulfilling their dead son's last wish.

xk0sm0sx

... Damn it already happened? I was thinking it was just a wish yet. :(

Though how many of you here would request for some nice game melodies to be played at your funeral? Instead of making it a sad moment.

Kieli

I disagree. It's part of the healing process for the parents. I would definitely honour this innocuous request if it had been my child.

Nephtis

Everything the parents did for their kid is to be respected. It's really awesome he got to meet a star and even Dr. Who sang to him.

Even if I didn't have the funds, if I had a son/daughter that was dying, you can damn well bet I will do everything in my power to grant his/her wish.

I hope the child got to enjoy something similar to that with an equal or larger amount of people dressed up as starwars characters before he was gone.

How does gaf manage to turn everything into a debate. This was the kids last wish, his parents honored him by granting this last wish. That's it, that's all. So many unnecessary negative Nancys.

Anyways, rip little guy. I'm sure he's smiling and proud. This was a great way to show their love for him. Amazing

red731

If that were my son, I'd say "I'll think about it" and probably not do it, claiming I forgot.

WTF am I reading..

Someone who granted their passed away child's last wish paid for it. With all the love they could bring to it, because it was his last-wish.

Also you concerning who paid for it is like, none of your business since you don't know him, them and have not connection with anyone that made this possible. It is just a wonderful good bye.

RIP

Derwind

:'(...... poor kid... hope he's in a better place. I never believed a funeral procession could be so badass but the kid clearly proves it. May the force be with you, young one.

slit

1) That's completely callous.

2) Who would you be claiming you forgot to since your son would be dead?

3) Who would believe you forgot unless a safe fell on your head?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom