• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tecmo Announces Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff for DS

x3sphere

tecmo.jpg

Just a logo for now, no screens yet.

TECMO BOWL® IS BACK!

The Legend Returns With TECMO BOWL®: KICKOFF For the Nintendo DS™

TORRANCE, Calif. May 1, 2008 — Leading video game developer and publisher Tecmo® today announced TECMO BOWL®: KICKOFF, exclusively for the Nintendo DS™. Based on the most popular Tecmo Super Bowl™, KICKOFF will deliver to long time fans and newcomers easy to employ controls, fun, huge plays and exciting cut-scenes. The classic, over-the-top, all-American football game enables players of all levels to engage in a fun filled, fast paced, arcade style of football.

“We are extremely excited to bring back everyone’s favorite football game to the Nintendo DS,” said Ryan Gilbo, executive producer, Tecmo, Inc. “KICKOFF is packed with everything that fans wanted to see in this revival. No other football game will ever compare to TECMO BOWL as this is the game that started it all."

TECMO BOWL: KICKOFF brings a host of new features that will further enhance the gameplay experience, including:

· Customizable Teams: Choose team colors, emblems, player names, team cities and abilities.

· Super Abilities: Tactically use over-the-top plays to take over a game.

· Wi-Fi and Wireless Multiplayer: Play against friends across the country or across the room.

· Stylus Control: Feel the action by using the stylus to control your player.

· Variety of Teams: Choose from 32 different teams.

· Cut-Scenes: All-new cut-scenes showing off the dramatic presentation of various plays.

· Customizable Playbook: Prepare for gridiron greatness by customizing your playbook.

· Music and Sound Effects: Turn up the heat on your opponent as you play the game to rock ‘n’ roll remixes of the most memorable tunes in football gaming history!

TECMO BOWL: KICKOFF is scheduled to launch Fall 2008. The game has not yet been rated by the Entertainment Software Ratings Board (ESRB).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This is like the third or fourth time they've announced this game. Show some fucking media and get on with it, guys.

batbeg

This was announced in the EGM for Wii and DS but we never got a damn summary because everybody was whining about GTA4 and popup and lame stuff like that. So EGM presumably may have more info?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
PhatSaqs said:
Super Abilities
do-not-want.jpg
Pffft, how else can you explain Bo Jackson in previous games?

Anyhoo, I wonder if the customization is wide enough for people to recreate the NFL teams. Tecmo Bowl's not quite the same without using NFL players.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
batbeg said:
This was announced in the EGM for Wii and DS but we never got a damn summary because everybody was whining about GTA4 and popup and lame stuff like that. So EGM presumably may have more info?

Seriously, someone who got the EGM give the scoop.

I thought this was supposed to be on Wii as well?

It's nice and all for the DS, but i was looking forward to playing this on Wii.

jarrod

Banned
It's coming to Wii too. Developed in the US btw, but I dunno if it's being done externally or if Tecmo started up a US R&D team?

TreIII

batbeg said:

Alrighty here's a transcript of the article...

EGM said:
With the Wii version of Rygar pushed back until 2009, the next retro revival we'll see from Tecmo will be Tecmo Bowl. The antiquated pigskin sim will be coming back twice, on both the Nintendo DS and, eventually the Wii.

In speaking with Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff Executive Producer Keisuke Kikcuhi, we learn that he wasn't very happy with the last Tecmo Bowl developed for PS1 back in 1996. "On PS1, we simply remade the 2D game with 3D graphics to try and keep in step with Madden. For the Wii version, we're designing the game for the third dimension from the ground up but plan to keep the classic Tecmo Bowl playability intact." While supervised from Tecmo's Tokyo headquarters, the Wii version of Tecmo Bowl will be developed in America because, as Kikchu puts it, "Football is an American game, so it makes sense for a title of this type to be developed in the country of its origin." Expect the DS version to update classic Tecmo Bowl formula with Wi-Fi play, stylus control and a wealth of Tecmo-themed fan service.

Why revive the series now?
Kikuchi admits, "For business reasons and timing reasons, it's a good time to support Nintendo. We've always talked about bringing the series, and is the right place and time for it. I recently played the DS version of Madden and was discouraged at how complex it was to control on a such simple system. I figured make something much more playable, so now seems ideal for a comeback."

You're welcome, guys. :D

schuelma

TreIII said:

Thank you very much. Don't know how much appeal a 3D version for Wii will have to me personally, but we'll see. That article also explains why the Wii version wasn't announced today.

Edit- Also, Rygar now pushed back into 09? Wow..that's a big delay considering originally it was thought to come out at the end of 07. So either its having huge development problems, or maybe Tecmo has largely scrapped the port idea and is making something more along the lines of an original entry.

TreIII said:

Thanks heaps! Makes sense now, DS version soon, Wii version later.

And i can't believe Rygar, a PS2 port, has been pushed back to 09. That's just ridiculous. :lol

batbeg

TreIII said:

Way less info than I was expecting, but thanks for that. At least it seems to confirm the Wii version is a reality, even if nothing has been said but that it's 3D :lol

Also, how the hell is a port taking that long to come out? Sweet Jesus!

TreIII

_Alkaline_ said:
Thanks heaps! Makes sense now, DS version soon, Wii version later.

And i can't believe Rygar, a PS2 port, has been pushed back to 09. That's just ridiculous. :lol

I would hope because of the complaints and collective groans that the Wii port has recieved, they'll at least go back and try to really supe the game up now. Either that, or maybe actually give it a full-fledged revamp, like it deserves. That'd be worth waiting into 2009 for.

schuelma

_Alkaline_ said:

See my post..I wonder if its no longer just a PS2 port...

Awesome, first (real, eyeshield 21 ds doesnt count) football game I will buy in over 4 years.

· Stylus Control: Feel the action by using the stylus to control your player
.Super Abilities

Slightly less excited, but still !

There better be local play so I can look and see the play my friend picks on the DS.

Or I will rise above all of you online with my diagonal running!

Edit: I also could care less about current rosters. I'd like to see what would happen if Walter Payton and Bo Jackson and Christian Okoye were in the saem game.

getting to play mulitplayer online sounds really awesome. The super abilities has me running scared though. Hopefully they implement it ok. I play Tecmo Super Bowl all the time.

bdoughty

Banned
How many times can they announce this game?

This is not Tecmo Bowl.

schuelma said:
See my post..I wonder if its no longer just a PS2 port...

I'd be very surprised to see Tecmo put such effort in, but the huge delay for this game really does lend itself to such an explanation. Let's hope that's the case, rather than it just being the result of massive development problems.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
bdouchey said:
How many times can they announce this game?

This is not Tecmo Bowl.
Scrambling around in the backfield for 5 minutes 60 yards behind the line of scrimmage then throwing it into the endzone for a touchdown or using Bo Jackson on a 200+ yard run by zig-zagging up and down the sidelines across the field isn't Tecmo Bowl?

If the super-abilities are simply what allow players to do silly things like that, I'm fine with it.

Not to open a can of worms, but...I still wonder what motivated them to choose specifically the Wii and the DS for this football game instead of the HD consoles. With the colossal success of football/sport games on these consoles, you would have though that they would have taken the occassion to jump on the bandwagon for their next-gen revival...
Well, I guess it's possible that they are counting on the Nintendo gamer's nostalgia for the past Tecmo Bowl games that he used to play and love...Yeah, I could believe that.

Stormbringer said:
Not to open a can of worms, but...I still wonder what motivated them to choose specifically the Wii and the DS for this football game instead of the HD consoles. With the colossal success of football/sport games on these consoles, you would have though that they would have taken the occassion to jump on the bandwagon for their next-gen revival...
Well, I guess it's possible that they are counting on the Nintendo gamer's nostalgia for the past Tecmo Bowl games that he used to play and love...Yeah, I could believe that.

Yeah, it couldnt have anything to do with them being market leaders. Of course not.

Stormbringer said:

... because gamers who buy Madden are going to buy MADDEN, because of the realism and actual NFL license. Since Tecmo can't compete with them on a technical level it makes perfect sense to put them on machines where the consumers may not be as die-hard football fans, and may also be nostalgic for Nintendo games.

GreenNight said:
Yeah, it couldnt have anything to do with them being market leaders. Of course not.

To Stormbringers defence, football games have so far sold much better on 360 compared to Wii. IIRC, the first-month sales of the Wii version of Madden 08 were actually lower than that of the original Xbox version.

That said, Tecmo Bowl is a bit of a different beast. But his argument is still valid.

worldrunover said:
... because gamers who buy Madden are going to buy MADDEN, because of the realism and actual NFL license. Since Tecmo can't compete with them on a technical level it makes perfect sense to put them on machines where the consumers may not be as die-hard football fans, and may also be nostalgic for Nintendo games.

Bingo.

_Alkaline_ said:
To Stormbringers defence, football games have so far sold much better on 360 compared to Wii. IIRC, the first-month sales of the Wii version of Madden 08 were actually lower than that of the original Xbox version.

That said, Tecmo Bowl is a bit of a different beast. But his argument is still valid.

That is a valid point and makes me think of how Symphonia sold great on the Cube but then they released Abyss on the PS2. Regardless, Tecmo was the only football game I've enjoyed.

JavyOO7

Stormbringer said:

I imagine that Nintendo is the market leader so thats probably why.

Maybe a sports game will finally sell well on the Wii and DS. That'd be good for me, definitely...

wsippel

Banned
Stormbringer said:
Isn't it obvious? Nintendo bought Tecmo...

Would be fun, wouldn't it?

Top Bottom