• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 System Update 1.70 is Live

How is the share button holding up for everyone? Any problems getting the correct 15 minutes of video for anyone? I don't have my PS4 with, so I can't check...

I used it a few different times last night between battlefield and octodad and i didn't have any issues aside from the fact that i set it to 3 minutes and it never recorded exactly 3 minutes. 2 minutes and 50 something seconds everytime. Not a big deal as long as it's the right 3 minute period instead of a random one.

On another note sharefactory is amazingly robust and super super simple to use

Dinosur

Is anybody else experiencing an error with their friends list?

Not entirely sure, but I didn't have a single friend online all last night which has never happened before.

My auto-record is still dumb too. I played Trials Fusion for over an hour, finally got a track run I wanted to show off, hit Share, and the video clip in memory was a week old Infamous one. Had to double-tap to get it to actually start recording something.

I tried to pool all the information we have of the update and finally make a full list out of it:

PlayStation 4 v1.70 full feature list

(OS) Applications:
  • SHAREfactory video editor app has been added to the content area (see thread)
  • Additional option in the Share button menu to share songs while in the updated Music Unlimited app
  • Capture Gallery shortcut/app has been added to the content area. You can use it to view screenshots and video clips that you saved
  • USB export option for captured gameplay (USB 2.0&3.0, FAT32&exFAT formated devices, but some don't work either way)
  • While watching a Blu-ray or DVD, you can now switch back&forth to the PS4 OS without quitting the movie/disc playback (will still happen when you launch a game, but OS apps like the Internet Browser allow multitasking). Apart from that, some people report better compatibility for certain movies.
  • What's New feed posts have timestamps now
  • Delete All option in the Internet Browser history

PSN:
  • Automatic pre-download for preordered games on PSN
  • Ability to search Friends-of-Friends, view Mutual Friends on another user’s profile and accept Friend requests directly from the Friends list.
  • You can now share your real name and profile picture with the close friends of your close friends (= friends of your friends who have accepted the name request of your friends)
  • For Plus members, you’ll now have the PS Plus icon appear next to your SEN ID on the login screen, home screen and other areas
  • Use a custom profile picture (not PSN avatar) via the updated PlayStation App on Android/iOS (see thread for the App update as it also allows now push PSN notifications etc.)
  • [From PlayStation] has been added under Notification (for global PSN announcements etc.)
  • PayPal support (but... it's not there?! Use the web store I guess)

Settings:
  • Option to disable HDCP for games (needs to be switched on if you want to use e.g. blu-ray and Netflix)
  • DualShock4 lightbar intensity can be change to Bright (default), Medium or Dim (ca. half as bright)
  • You can test&adjust your Microphone input volume (Device settings)
  • Audio Mixer for Party Chat: You can manually adjust priority of party versus system audio
  • When the PS4 crashes you can now choose to attach a video clip in the feedback
  • Option to enable sending in the crash reports automatically.
  • You can now e.g. force the PS4 to output 5.1 channel audio over HDMI even if it detects 7.1 channel support. (set primary audio output to HDMI or optical, then mark the desired audio formats)
  • Video setting for Deep Colour Output (automatic by default, switch off if your display reacts weird to it)
  • Default language options for BDs&DVDs, [Blu-ray Disc Data Management], and [Allow Internet Connection] have been added under [Video Playback Settings].
  • [Noise Reduction] has been added as an option that is available during video playback (available in the extra video settings when you watch a BD/DVD, on by default)

Streaming/Share:
  • HD option (=720p) added for streaming gameplay
  • Archive your broadcasts on Twitch or Ustream (via their accounts)
  • Upload video clips and screenshots during your live gameplay broadcasts
  • You can now submit a grief report about an inappropriate profile picture or broadcast.
  • Ability to live-stream and watch PS4 streams via NicoNico (requires Japanese PSN account)
  • Ability to view NicoNico broadcasts from within the updated Playstation App (requires Japanese PSN account)
  • Improved broadcasting layout. Comments/viewers notifications when you are in a full screen streaming (of view comments without having to switch streaming modes)
  • Change the default gameplay recording time in the SHARE menu under Video Clip Settings (1, 3, 5, 10, or 15 minutes)
  • Select specific Facebook audiences to share each video or screenshot with (was only a global setting before)
  • Select multiple screenshots/videos to export/upload

Remote Play:
  • Ability to Remote Play PlayStation 4 from PS Vita TV (PS Vita TV update required)
  • Automatic&faster PS4 Link Update for Remote Play, no code entry necessary when using same PSN account (requires PlayStation Vita v3.15 Update)
  • You can now disable the overlays that appear when you use the touchscreen and back panel during Remote Play (on the Vita)
  • Apparently better Remote Play video quality
  • From Reddit, not sure if new: There's now a Connection History log option under Remote Play Connection Settings
  • From Reddit, not sure if new: L2 / L3 / R2 / R3 are now mapped to the corners of the Vita's touch screen during Remote Play on the homescreen

UI/Input:
  • You can now sort Trophies by rarity in the Options menu
  • Popup notification when a friend joins a party chat (even when you are not in any party chat, can be disabled)
  • Switch user option, allows multi user login with a single DS4.
  • DS4 touchpad can be used to navigate the on-screen keyboard at any time
  • Slightly modified on-screen keyboard and a L2 + Triangle shortcut to switch to the extra characters list
  • The controller rumbles slightly when you switch to GYRO pointing input for the on-screen keyboard now.
  • More voice commands are added to launch the apps installed on your PS4 with the sound of your voice (Netflix, IGN app, Internet Browser, Sharefactory, Vidzone, BBC iplayer etc.)
  • New general voice commands added: "Save Video Clip" and "Start Video Clip"
  • Apparently overall OS improvements (faster loading of the Store/What's New etc.)
  • You can now set a screensaver (only dims the screen, after 15 minutes by default)

Changes/fixes:
  • No more log in screen when reconnecting the DS4 (even when switching controllers after one has been turned off)
  • Opening the Share menu doesn't automatically save anything anymore. Upload or save videos/screenshots for each capture (apparently saving the last 15 minutes can still be bugged, but the way how seems to have changed due to this)
  • Pressing X on screenshots/videos will now open them in preview mode, viewing screenshots has been fixed and it doesn't crash/black screen anymore
  • While a game is running, the option menu in the OS has "Close Application" and "Delete" far apart now.
  • Scrolling quickly through long friend lists has been fixed
  • The black crush has been fixed when recording gameplay videos
  • [Share Settings] > [Video Clip Settings] > [Indicate Blocked Scenes for Video Recording] is now turned on by default.
  • [Stop Broadcasting] is now under [Broadcast Settings]
  • [Login Settings] and [Initialization] > [Delete User] are now under the newly added [Users].
  • Update History entry is now always at the top (except when selecting a disk-based game). Also has better formatting
  • Some individual hardware compatibility are fixed (receiver, HDD etc.), could also be because some standard settings changed
  • Not sure if new: Information option entry for a PSN game now shows Download Status
  • Player name seems to appear on the battery notification & trophy popup also when not multiple accounts are logged in
  • Party chat now says it can host up to 16 people, but still only 7 more people can join (unknown reason, could be a mistake or for a future update)

Not entirely sure, but I didn't have a single friend online all last night which has never happened before.

My auto-record is still dumb too. I played Trials Fusion for over an hour, finally got a track run I wanted to show off, hit Share, and the video clip in memory was a week old Infamous one. Had to double-tap to get it to actually start recording something.

I think you now have to press square to save the clip after pressing the share button? Triangle for screens.

Add me to the list of people who have that bug when trying to auto-upload save files to cloud. Didn't have it before installing 1.70. I can upload it manually after it fails to do so automatically, but it's annoying.

Dio

Banned
Anyone still unable to get a video signal to their capture card, even though HDCP was removed and checked off? Mine's still audio only.

My PS4 is connected straight to one of the TV HDMI ports and I'm running the sound through optical to my receiver. Everytime I start the PS4 after the update, I'm experiencing random sound drops that they go away after 10-15 mins. Before the update I was experiencing random sound drops only while playing NBA2K14, but now the sound drops with any game. No idea what's going on.

The optical cable is connected to the PS4 or the TV?

Sh0k

Go away after 10-15? I havent been able to put up with listening to the sound drops at all to know if thats happening with mine.

I wonder what changed, because this worked flawlessly before 1.70. Could it be the 7.1/5.1 options?

I don't know, but when I get home from work I will play around with the different sound settings to see if it helps. My receiver is an old Yamaha receiver, doesn't have HDMI ports, that's the reason why I have the PS4 connected thourgh optical directly to the receiver. My XBOX ONE doesn't give me that problem, and I have the same setup.

bombshell

Are you pressing Square to actually save the video to the HDD? After this update it's not enough to simply bring up the Share menu to save a videoclip, you have to press Square for it to save the video.

rbanke

It's exactly how Sony say it works, you are using it wrong.

Go into the Share menu and press Option to see for yourself. There's 2 button configs for the Share button you can choose from.

The default:

• short press = display menu (to save either video of previous 15 mins/screenshot)
  • long press = take screenshot
  • double press = START new video recording

The easy screenshot variant:

• short press = take screenshot
  • long press = display menu (to save either video of previous 15 mins/screenshot)
  • double press = START new video recording

So you should never use double press unless you know that you want to record what you are going to play. Double press is not for retroactive recording the previous 15 minutes.

The problem is that the recording of the previous 15 minutes is bugged and sometimes is a completely different video clip from long ago.

Ah, thanks that clears things up a bit. For some reason I thought the double press was how you were meant to save the previous 15 min and pressing square was to manually start/stop recording. Would be nice if they added additional share button configs because saving the past x minutes is probably the more useful method for many people rather than interrupting gameplay to save. Anyway thanks!

Dio

Banned
Mine works fine. Which are you using?
I've been using a Startech PEXHDCAP for a long time. An internal card, that is, it's a rebranded Micomsoft that I absolutely adore. I use it to capture HDMI 360 footage, component PS3, and SCART>component Saturn footage. The thing is an amazing beast for retro footage, which is why I got it - it's one of the few current market capcards that can handle a Genesis signal properly. The fact that it can handle a 360 HDMI signal fine too is a bonus...

I just find it odd that it won't show the PS4 signal even after I turned off HDCP and restarted the system a few times. I also tried setting it to 720p, and messing with the other settings. Still audio only.

Jabba

Banned
Anyone else get the unstable video output after this patch? I guess turning off Deep Color fixes it. Works so far.

If this is true how do you do it, my parties still say 8? This would fix a lot of my issues if true.

Someone mentioned it in this thread and when I tried to create a party it would let me invite 15 more people (1/16). Does it say 1/8 for you? Maybe someone should actually try it with 8+ people that have a mic.

edit: FeiRR's screenshot:
TY7WEDs.jpg

We're both PS+ if that matters?

fixuis

When you hold the ps button and the menu comes up to power off the ps4 or close application etc.. There is a music icon there at the bottom with a adjustable volume bar but it can't be adjusted apparently. Is this new? Any ideas what it does?

When you hold the ps button and the menu comes up to power off the ps4 or close application etc.. There is a music icon there at the bottom with a adjustable volume bar but it can't be adjusted apparently. Is this new? Any ideas what it does?
Afaik it's for music unlimited subs

That's the ingame music player of the OS but it only works with Music Unlimited at the moment (and it should not show up unless you started MU and played music)

x-Lundz-x

Ok, in the next update I really wish they would make it easier to create a party. I know it's not super complicated but honestly, why can't I just go to my friends list and simply hit a single button and it auto creates a party and sends them an invite. I want 1 click, not 4. It should be that easy.

Someone mentioned it in this thread and when I tried to create a party it would let me invite 15 more people (1/16). Does it say 1/8 for you? Maybe someone should actually try it with 8+ people that have a mic.

edit: FeiRR's screenshot:

We're both PS+ if that matters?

I have the same but unless the 8 extra spots are invite only, bugged, or for a future update I can you from personal experience last night that we couldn't get more than 8 into a party. Like I said though I didn't try actually inviting them, but from them attempting to join it still said the party was full.

Shin-Ra

User djskribbles from Beyond3D measured the intensity of LED light on Dualshock 4.
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1844233&postcount=5254

djskribbles said:
Measured the light bar on each different setting. I used a colorimeter and a spectrometer which are typically used for color calibration on displays, but they also measure luminance/light. They're probably not 100% accurate compared to a dedicated light meter, but they should be close enough. I averaged the readings with a continuous measurement between both meters.

Standard/Bright - ~37.9 candelas per squared meter (or 11.06 foot lamberts)
Medium - ~21.8 candelas per squared meter (or 6.36 foot lamberts) - 42.5% dimmer
Dim - ~11.8 candelas per squared meter (or 3.44 foot lamberts) - 68.9% dimmer

So my guesses of ~60% and ~40% lower were pretty close. :)

For comparison, generally ISF/THX calibrators calibrate flatpanel displays to have a peak white measurement of 30-35 foot lamberts for a dark home theater environment. VA LCD panels usually have a black level measurement between 0.012 - 0.014 foot lamberts. IPS LCD panels usually have a black level measurement between 0.04 - 0.05 foot lamberts.
Here's some photos I took, my gaming tv has a high gloss finish with no glass covering. Blue light bar.

Best case scenario - bright room, same coloured background

14078066041_6241fd7d31_o.png
BRIGHT
14078065981_28906bfcbf_o.png
MEDIUM
14081261855_fd106d511e_o.png
DIM

Bright room, black background

14078113182_0a7d2e5f3e_o.png
BRIGHT
13894672510_bd63b76a96_o.png
MEDIUM
13894665938_6a64ac0bf5_o.png
DIM

Dark room, black background

14078113102_8e7b677301_o.png
BRIGHT
14101320573_2158fab122_o.png
MEDIUM
14101320543_29fc0dfd09_o.png
DIM

DIM is dim enough that it doesn't glare any more and if you play in a lit room other things probably reflect more brightly than the light bar.

I have the same but unless the 8 extra spots are invite only, bugged, or for a future update I can you from personal experience last night that we couldn't get more than 8 into a party. Like I said though I didn't try actually inviting them, but from them attempting to join it still said the party was full.

ok thanks, I will add this info. Very weird, maybe it's really for a future update, didn't they do a survey for exactly this feature IIRC?

Shin-Ra

I've seen a few compare videos on here but I still can't tell if exporting video to the USB is any better than uploading to Facebook.
44.1 vs 48 kHz audio
1.64 vs 4.9 Mbit/sec bitrate (someone else had higher, the 1:3 ratio may be a better indicator)

USB transfer's a lot better. Someone else did more extensive testing.

Absolutely ridiculous!

You would think being able to record the correct footage in the first instance would have been the number one priority to get right before adding all these fancy editing tools. Sharefactory isn't very useful if you don't have the correct captured footage to edit in the first place. More BF4 moments to miss *sigh*

Kysen

Remove play default control scheme is changed in the latest patch(same as infamous), but it seems all games that used the old default before the patch still use it. Damn was hoping Sony could make it system wide without having to rely on individual patches to games. At least all games going forward wont use the rear touch pad.

mattp

Add me to the list of people who have that bug when trying to auto-upload save files to cloud. Didn't have it before installing 1.70. I can upload it manually after it fails to do so automatically, but it's annoying.

oh so this is a thing? i wondered why i had an error in my notifications this morning about a failed save upload

Shin-Ra

PSN was acting funny in general for a good 12 hours or so but not directly after the system software update. Seems alright at the moment.

B_Boss

Hey GAF, I just noticed this morning that I have a little "music" or "audio" icon in the PS Button Menu (I think its when you hold it) under "Turn Off PS4".....anyone else have or seen this? I dunno if its the update or anything but I don't remember seeing this before the update. I've seen only a few instances of this online but no answers as to what it is. Nevermind, I see its been answered.

Have they ever said if they're going to make checking trophies easier or have they confirmed it's an (incredibly stupid) choice to make you go to the trophy page and search for it manually?

Like, I understand trophies are hacked in to the PS3, but Vita and PS4 still having them done the same way is totally strange.

Mengetsu

Seems the web browser has updated too. When I went to use it I was sent to PlayStation home web page instead of my bookmarks and you get a nice fade when backing out of a page or taking it off full screen.

thenexus6

I tried to pool all the information we have of the update and finally make a full list out of it:

PlayStation 4 v1.70 full feature list

For Plus members, you’ll now have the PS Plus icon appear next to your SEN ID on the login screen, home screen and other areas

This is automatic?

fixuis

Afaik it's for music unlimited subs

That's the ingame music player of the OS but it only works with Music Unlimited at the moment (and it should not show up unless you started MU and played music)

Thanks guys - another question slightly off topic. Can I upgrade a physical copy of the game to a digital one. I have infamous second son installed from a disc I borrowed from a friend. If I buy it digitally will I have to re download the entire game or will the system recognise the full install from the disc?

andycapps

Here's some photos I took, my gaming tv has a high gloss finish with no glass covering. Blue light bar.

Do you always sit that close to the TV? Mine is in my living room so I'm about 10 feet away from it, so never notice the light unless I look down.

Top Bottom