• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within - PAX East Demo Impressions

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I was the exact opposite. Mute Isaac from DS1 had me connect to the atmosphere and his journey far better than talky, narrative driven Isaac in DS2.

Yeah, me too. There's something scary when Isaac just look in silence at the crazy doctor operating on some poor sap.

From what we can see in the released videos the main character actually does seem to react to what happens around him.

iMwEPBBPDKqNW.gif

iby70SuYyop5lI.gif

i3rCpIJDCThDw.gif

funkypie

Banned
maybe it is near impossible to recreate horror in games any more?

If you grew up playing games and then RE and silent hill came along and were scary. After all this time of bad horror movies, many games and the internet with as much horrifying content and readily available disturbing videos/images. Maybe we as consumers are just immune to real horror in media forms?

maybe it is near impossible to recreate horror in games any more?

If you grew up playing games and then RE and silent hill came along and were scary. After all this time of bad horror movies, many games and the internet with as much horrifying content and readily available disturbing videos/images. Maybe we as consumers are just immune to real horror in media forms?

I dunno. I haven't ventured past the first twenty minutes of Outlast cause I'm fucking terrified.

sub_o

New Mikami interview on Famitsu. Anything interesting?

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201404/24050818.html

umTpZYO.jpg

Here's my very literal translation, take it with grain of salt.

• First bullet point, basically Famitsu asks Mikami to give a brief history about himself. Mikami doesn't talk much about pre-tango, but he did say that when he was working with Clover Studios, he felt more like freelancer.
    Then it goes into why he created Tango (because to him, Japan is the origin place of games), and not much about Zenimax, except that part of his job is to report back to Zenimax, typical executive job description.

• Second part, he describes Psycho Break. If a horror movie is 'scary when you see it', then Psycho Break is 'scary when you play it'.

He said the game is classical style (not sure if he meant it's classical survival horror). It is developed so that core gamer would enjoy it, he's also prepared a lower difficulty mode dubbed 'Casual mode' for people who don't really play games. They are also aiming for a story and setting that people can enjoy.

Currently they are doing finishing touches, doing smaller details and some debugging. Everything seems to be in the final stage.

In the beginning of development of Psycho Break, Mikami wanted to develop the game in relaxing and free working atmosphere. However it didn't go that well when he loosen his reins, so at the beginning he worked hard to combine the vision of the creators. Thanks to staffs' 'Never give up' spirit, they managed to create a form from it.

When asked about being a team leader, and the center of conversational exchange, he said that he doesn't really have any specific team leader style yet. He views team leader as someone who lead to create quality product, not someone who gathers members.

On the 'charm' of Psycho Break, he said about the obsessive details on the graphic, the depiction of the characters. As for horror style, a small taste of psychological horror is peppered in

As for their first title, they want to create a game for the worldwide, and also to meet people's expectation of 'scariness'. He's also vexed by the "Casual mode", casual players are interested with what's going on on the screen, but might not be sure about how to play it. Boss battles for example, casual players might go "It's impossible for me" and pass the controller to other people.

Although the game has tensions from horror, from struggle to be alive, and from avoiding game over screen, mix with each other, Mikami thinks that it's more interesting to play alone, since that keeps some sense of realism.

He hopes that people will play it and have the feeling of "Ah this game is interesting"

I will try to translate the third part in the near future. Now having back pain from sitting all day long. Part three seems to be questions about how Mikami envisions his work 5 - 10 years in the future.

I don't give a shit about the character's lack of reaction, but the rest of the impressions don't sound too inspiring. But Mikami has never let me down and I thought Shadows of the Damned was brilliant and underrated. So I'm still hyped, hopefully this crowd just doesn't get it.

-MD-

I will try to translate the third part in the near future. Now having back pain from sitting all day long. Part three seems to be questions about how Mikami envisions his work 5 - 10 years in the future.

Thanks so much, please do when you get a chance.

Them adding a casual mode and mentioning it's for "core" gamers gives me hope that the game isn't going to get dumbed down, I really hope they nail the harder difficulty and limit resources like crazy.

Anung

Un Rama
Probably mentioned before but the impressions don't really put me off. Playing this on a bright show floor surrounded by people would destroy the atmosphere. Any horror game would suffer in said environment.

I find it strange that not a lot of footage has come out of the game beyond shitty walk and talk sections and hold forward while dumb scripted stuff happens sequences.

-MD-

I find it strange that not a lot of footage has come out of the game beyond walk and talk sections and hold forward while scripted stuff happens sequences.

That's the game, what else are they supposed to show? There is ~5 minutes of footage of the main character defending a house from a wave of enemies if you're into the whole dumbed-down Resident Evil 4 vibe that section puts off.

Fady K

Man.. I hope game turns out well.

The first proper horror game from the "father" of Resident Evil in nearly 12 years; it has been a long time coming and it would suck to not have a great game in the end :(

Despite all the previews, I'm *LOVING* the look of this. I hope the story isn't just tacked on and actually is intriguing. Hoping the preview builds don't represent the final game in any bad way.

Vibranium

Banned
Oh come on.

Yeah, I mean the industry owes a ridiculous amount to Japan but to say that is pretty ridiculous, Western studios have a part. Besides, if it weren't for the horrid English dub of Resident Evil 1, that game may have never become a cult classic :p

Anyways, I've decided I'm still ready to pick this up, but I'm going to read reviews and GAF impressions first. I feel that there could be a good game here, even if I wanted another REmake. There also seems to be quite a lot of stuff that they're hiding going by the sparse previews.

Fady K

Man, I am increasingly gutted by everything I hear about this game. I hope it's not as all feared.

Likewise. Was expecting far more glowing previews at least given that it was Mikami's project through and through as far as I know. I'd rather they delay it and fix it up as much as they need to to perfect it, but alas, it seems like we'll be receiving the game in a few months at most.

On the 'charm' of Psycho Break, he said about the obsessive details on the graphic, the depiction of the characters. As for horror style, a small taste of psychological horror is peppered in

Huh. Certain animations seemed a bit rough (Shadows of the Damned-ish?) in recent footage. Wonder if that's been cleaned up.

NEO0MJ

I'm gonna wait until I hear more about the game on release, game journalist can't be trusted with these things. Plus it was a demo, those things are often terribly designed and do a bad job of giving you a good impression of the game.

I'm gonna wait until I hear more about the game on release, game journalist can't be trusted with these things. Plus it was a demo, those things are often terribly designed and do a bad job of giving you a good impression of the game.

Don't pin this on just journalists, regular people also went to this presentation who were very disappointed and it shows in the footage that's been released that it's not up to snuff right now. Pin this on the demo and the people who made that.

dan2026

At the very least I'd hope this is a better horror game than Resident Evil 5/6.

Granted that is setting the bar pretty damn low.

-MD-

Can't wait for some new footage or content to drop so we can get out of this "the press thinks it sux" funk we've been in since PAX.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I don't give a shit about the character's lack of reaction, but the rest of the impressions don't sound too inspiring. But Mikami has never let me down and I thought Shadows of the Damned was brilliant and underrated. So I'm still hyped, hopefully this crowd just doesn't get it.
Wasn't his involvement in that only minimal?

NEO0MJ

Don't pin this on just journalists, regular people also went to this presentation who were very disappointed and it shows in the footage that's been released that it's not up to snuff right now. Pin this on the demo and the people who made that.

I did mention the demo. Didn't know that even non-journos who attended the events were disappointed by it.

Wasn't his involvement in that only minimal?

Yeah, but they needed his and Suda's name to sell the game.

Probably mentioned before but the impressions don't really put me off. Playing this on a bright show floor surrounded by people would destroy the atmosphere. Any horror game would suffer in said environment.
At PAX East it was a presentation in a darkened theater with roughly 30 people sat down to watch a staffer play through both scenarios. At no point was the game shown on the floor nor was it playable by attendees.

Raptor

I think this game will surprise a lot of people when they actually play it, there is a lot of negativism about it right now and sadness thinking it will suck, Mikami has never made a bad game, made a boring one in vanquish because there was no gore and blood IMO but the game still is teh best controlled third person game ever with the best metagameplay.

Im not worried at all.

I think this game will surprise a lot of people when they actually play it, there is a lot of negativism about it right now and sadness thinking it will suck, Mikami has never made a bad game, made a boring one in vanquish because there was no gore and blood IMO but the game still is teh best controlled third person game ever with the best metagameplay.

Im not worried at all.

i hope you can turn off or tone down the rediculous camera sway...it's way overdone.

A hat-trick of Gamersyde dudes! :D

Yeah, I don't get motion sick usually but that sway is weird so a toggle would be nice. I could handle the shakey cam in K&L 2 perfectly fine, so it could just be something you get used to when playing.

saher

Banned
I will probably buy it day 1 even though i think it looks bad so far

Basically Mikami needs the budget and the team to make a good horror game again (capcom?)

Also apparently people haven't actually played the demo, but just watched someone alse doing it.

Anung

Un Rama
At PAX East it was a presentation in a darkened theater with roughly 30 people sat down to watch a staffer play through both scenarios. At no point was the game shown on the floor nor was it playable by attendees.

My mistake, but still not the right environment to judge it off of.

Top Bottom