• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Fit out in Europe

It seems a few online shops have restocked... Currys, Dixons, Argos and Gamestation.
Gamestation seem to be forcing console bundles :/

I've checked all of them and there's no collect from store options, probably because its bank holiday monday.

Bare in mind Currys and Dixons are the same company. I just ordered from Currys and delivery is within 5 working days... which at worst case could put it into next week...

http://www.dixons.co.uk
http://www.currys.co.uk
http://www.argos.co.uk
http://www.gamestation.co.uk

nli10

polluar said:
Jesus, Wii is such a phenomenon !!! incredible to see that :eek: but without plenty of stocks it's useless...

I know that stores got a whole load of stock this week (50+ units), and then sold it in a single day.

Hoping Woolworths got more than the main games stores, but seriously Mario Kart is the one thats really out of stock - WiiFit is just difficult to find.

Ed: Oh and from the PAL Chart thread:

There are officially 1 million GTA out in the Wild in the UK alone and with WiiFIt that makes for £100 million week at retail!!

Most larger stores have had plenty of spare copies over the weekend, lets see what format people wanted. :D

nli10 said:
I know that stores got a whole load of stock this week (50+ units), and then sold it in a single day.

Hoping Woolworths got more than the main games stores, but seriously Mario Kart is the one thats really out of stock - WiiFit is just difficult to find.

I was told by one store they're not getting more mario kart til the end of the month... wtf gives with that? It'll probably disappear off the charts until then if thats the case.

nli10

radioheadrule83 said:
I was told by one store they're not getting more mario kart til the end of the month... wtf gives with that? It'll probably disappear off the charts until then if thats the case.

America's turn. :)

It'll be restocked, but not for a few weeks. I get the impression that it sold better than expected and Europe burned through their allocation too soon.

Sule

If it sold above their expectation than it has to have sold way above their expectation. Not resupplying stores for so long is crazy. They really need to get some new people in their sales prediction office because this isn't the first time they are behind on the software side. I remember the pictures of nearly empty Wii-games shelves, just crazy. This is past being conservative with estimates and just plain stupid. Not having enough stock of one of your top 5 best selling games for every generation should get some people fired.

edit: Woah @ Wiiworths

there are Wiifit commercials going on portuguese television. Haven't seen a nintendo commercial since n64 or something like that

norinrad21 said:
Is wiifit selling well over there?

it seems like it. and this is sonyland. it was sold out last time I went to Game. but so were both versions of gta.

to the people who have it, is it really worth the 95€? i really enjoyed wii sports

later

404 said:
it seems like it. and this is sonyland. it was sold out last time I went to Game. but so were both versions of gta.

to the people who have it, is it really worth the 95€? i really enjoyed wii sports

It's not a game.. Don't treat it like 1.

Got one last Friday as Woolworths had just taken a delivery (later on, a middle-aged woman behind me in the queue elsewhere buying food shopping also had one!). I've found it really, really good so far - I'm not horribly overweight (13.5 stones and my perfect weight is around 12) but I am in horrible shape so I'm finding this great for reactivating certain muscles (my sides still haven't fully recovered from a vigourous hula hoop session on Friday...:lol) and forcing my body to work more than it has for a long time - I'm starting slow, about 15 minutes per day and plan to work up and up as I loosen off.

So yeah....even if it helps me feel less stiff and aids me in toning somewhat rather than losing the weight I want to, it'll be a massive success personally.

RBH

radioheadrule83 said:
2435656269_3a112f933a.jpg

2443909098_2f811661dc.jpg
Amazing.

123rl

As I've mentioned before I work in a games shop in a fairly small town. We got 100 copies of Wii Fit in at launch...sold them in two days. Apparently we got another 60 in on Saturday when I was off. Not that I could tell when I went in yesterday - they sold all 60 copies in one day :D

The game is selling ridiculously well...so much more than I expected. A part of me thought it would bomb for the first few months and then pick up over Summer.

Yeah, it's selling incredibly - I thought that £69.99 would be just too much of a barrier here, but obviously not. It doesn't take an analytical genius to realise that it's going to sell and sell and sell on a consistent basis and that it's going to be very, very close to the year's #1 seller by the end of 2008 when you factor in Japan. It'll almost certainly outrank all-comers, GTA IV included, in terms of hard revenue.

nli10

TheDrowningMan said:
Yeah, it's selling incredibly - I thought that £69.99 would be just too much of a barrier here, but obviously not. It doesn't take an analytical genius to realise that it's going to sell and sell and sell on a consistent basis and that it's going to be very, very close to the year's #1 seller by the end of 2008 when you factor in Japan. It'll almost certainly outrank all-comers, GTA IV included, in terms of hard revenue.

Indeed - if an average games shop sells its shipment of 50 WiiFit the day it comes in then thats £3500 on top of it's days turnover!

The industry needs titles like GTA/Halo to spike and titles like Brain Training/Wii Fit to sell for the long-term to keep retailers afloat. It's great for gaming in general.

123rl

I obviously can't give specific figures but I know that the revenue from Wii Fit since launch is equivalent to about 7-10 days of revenue for the entire shop in a normal week :lol GTA 4 at launch was like one week's revenue in a day

BooJoh

Is it possible to keep your data private from other users on the same console? (In the event that someone in the household is touchy about their weight.)

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Apologies if this has already been asked before, but do normal rechargeable batteries work fine with the balance board? I remember hearing some talk that the average rechargeable may not provide the required power.

tabsina

Just got the game yesterday, and I was wondering if it actually makes an exercise schedule for you after putting in your desired weight loss (or in my case, gain), or is the goal just there for self motivation?

EDIT: and also, is there an easy way to quickly check your weight without going through the whole body test?

BooJoh said:
Is it possible to keep your data private from other users on the same console? (In the event that someone in the household is touchy about their weight.)

yeh, each player can password protect their data (or not) with a numeric code

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
tabsina said:
Just got the game yesterday, and I was wondering if it actually makes an exercise schedule for you after putting in your desired weight loss (or in my case, gain), or is the goal just there for self motivation?

EDIT: and also, is there an easy way to quickly check your weight without going through the whole body test?

yeh, each player can password protect their data (or not) with a numeric code

You can skip the rest of the Body Test after you've been weighed.

dock

I'm loving Wii fit. The games are just fluff for the most part, with the real meat being the yoga and muscle training. I've setup my wii in my bedroom so that I can exercise in private, and I'm finding it easy to get some training in during the evening after work. I was surprised at how effect the 'keep your balance in this pose' scheme of monitoring is, it's just enough interaction to make the exercise totally engaging.

I need to try the advanced 'step' game again. I literally couldn't figure out what was going on and how I was supposed to be playing it. :( It's pretty confusing IMO.

I wish there was a way of turning off the in-game music, but keeping the sound effects. I'd like to be able to listen to my own music but still benefit from the in game sound.

I hope I can stick with this, I really think it has a huge potential to make a difference.

morningbus said:
Apologies if this has already been asked before, but do normal rechargeable batteries work fine with the balance board? I remember hearing some talk that the average rechargeable may not provide the required power.
I use 4 rechargeables (2600mAh), works fine.

fresquito

If anyone's wondering how's Wii Fit long term (and can read spanish), we are doing two journals. We've published the first week of Anna and monday we'll publish the first week of Fran.

Each wednesday and each monday we pretend to publish new episodes talking about the game throughout the time and how does it affect these fellows.

BTW, you can check their initial conditions here.

tabsina

A year and a half i've had my wii, and my brother has not played it once for more than five minutes, he is a gamer but a casual one, he'll play things like Fifa and GTA etc... what are the chances that wii fit is the game which he spends hours and hours on.. can not believe the impact it has made on his mindset on wii.. he even said to me today "Hrm, you know i still haven't played mario kart"

So, that's my life story, in case anyone cares

the androgyne said:
Dude! What's with all the clothes wearing in this video?!

snake-nothing-avatar.gif

nli10

Well I've weighed for some 16 days now and i'm slightly heavier overall than I was when I started, but my use of the actual mini games etc. has dropped right off...

If I remember next time I'm on it I'll shoot the graphs and pop them up here.

I stopped adding my real world exercise in as it doesn't seem to matter what you add at all.

Oh and for reference my lowest BMI so far was 15.9 and my highest 16.5.

WiiBalance.jpg

Timed Cameraphone pic of my dodgy balance, note how the board isn't really big enough for my feet. :(

Xapati

J. M. Romeo said:
I got Wii Fit and my girlfriend had a blast with it. More than I did, that's for sure. (Already posted these in the GF thread, but what the hell, more people should show themselves doing yoga in this game)

pics of girl

EDIT: Aaand here is the video. Realtime, no CGI, promise! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxtlUUslSZk

You can hook the Wii up to a moniter? It has a VGA output?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I hate that you can't make the exercises just flow instead of having to pick em each one by one one... or is it just me?

Also, do you guys do everything with the wiimote on your hand or just place it somewhere in between exercises? Doesn't the controller affects on the balance thing depending on which hand you use to hold it (left/right arm)?

tabsina

Dash Kappei said:
do you guys do everything with the wiimote on your hand or just place it somewhere in between exercises? Doesn't the controller affects on the balance thing depending on which hand you use to hold it (left/right arm)?

i usually keep it in my pocket for all exercises, and in between i change the activities by pressing buttons without taking it out.... *waits for innuendo*.. i don't feel it disrupts me too much as it isn't that heavy

nli10

Dash Kappei said:
I hate that you can't make the exercises just flow instead of having to pick em each one by one one... or is it just me?

Also, do you guys do everything with the wiimote on your hand or just place it somewhere in between exercises? Doesn't the controller affects on the balance thing depending on which hand you use to hold it (left/right arm)?

I just leave it on the chair that's behind me in the balance pic.

That way I know my weight etc. is always the same.

ED: and yeah - why tell us that the three exercises are part of an exercise group and then not let me go to do the other two exercises in the group automatically?

And If I have 10 consecutive goes on Snowboarding I really don't need to be given time coins after each one - surely just giving me them as I quit out would be less clumsy?!!

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I was browsing through the Nintendo star catalogue and noticed they had some new stuff up:

wiifitbottle_large(1).png

It's a waterbottle. The shape is kinda interesting, because you can fill it up with water and use it as a fitness dumbbell.

wiifitsticks_large(2).png

Incense sticks? Seriously? A waste of 2000 star points if you ask me.

Wii Fit could be my killer app. Each morning I do pushups, crunches, stretches and go for a run. If the Wii can make that even a little more interesting that would be huge, because its 30 minutes out of every day!

Can anyone comment on how it handles those areas specifically?

Pachael

If only Wii Fit had multiplayer, eg. buy two boards and you and your partner can work out at the same time! Or 'Work out with a friend overseas/interstate!'

Exercising is so much more fun when you're doing with more people than just yourself.

Zeppu

TheHeretic said:
Wii Fit could be my killer app. Each morning I do pushups, crunches, stretches and go for a run. If the Wii can make that even a little more interesting that would be huge, because its 30 minutes out of every day!

Can anyone comment on how it handles those areas specifically?

Pushups are there. You can either do the push-ups and side stands or else do a challenge and just go wile on pushups.

crunches...erm..well it has the jack knife which is similar to that..i think

stretches = all of the yoga basically.

You can go jogging but in that case it makes more sense that you do the pushups and warming up and listen to miyamoto and just go do a real run outside :D

josephdebono said:
Pushups are there. You can either do the push-ups and side stands or else do a challenge and just go wile on pushups.

crunches...erm..well it has the jack knife which is similar to that..i think

stretches = all of the yoga basically.

You can go jogging but in that case it makes more sense that you do the pushups and warming up and listen to miyamoto and just go do a real run outside :D

Crunches, situps, jack knife, all pretty much work the abs. And yeah I'd run outside :p

Cheers!

thorns

Banned
I got this as well.. Overall I find it very well done, however I find the yoga exercises very short and not as "intense" as they should be, and overall you waste too much time switching between exercises and listening to the instructions. I wish there was just a way to do different exercises without having to go through the menus all the time.

plaguis

Those from the UK who cant find a copy of Wii Fit. Smyths Toy Stores seem to have them in stock! They are a nationwide chain and operate an Argos style reserve and collect service on their website.

http://www.smythstoys.com/WII-FIT-WII-!F00674-prod.aspx

So I'm 18 days in and have lost 2.1 kgs. I usually do the Body Test after I've worked out, so I haven't done it yet today. I noticed something odd about my "trainer" today though... His hair has grown over the weekend so now he's sporting a new look, and now all the Muscle Workout pages also reflects this.

I love little things like this.

Epiphyte

Ikopi said:
I have size 43 (european continental size) and the board is just big enough.
Damn

If I'm doing the conversion right, I wear a euro size 50. Guess my toes are going to be hanging over the edge :(

Top Bottom