• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PlayStation trophies to hit in June

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Hellraizer said:
Will the Trophies be any different? More consistent? Maybe you will have 20 hard earned Trophies, but another person 20 easy earned trophies. Sounds like 3d Gamerscore to me...

Or am I missing the point here? (since this thread became a Gamerscore vs. Trophies battle)

I really hope Sony wont have a gamerscore here, just trophy pictures will do.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
JB1981 said:
We've been waiting for a pretty long frucking time!
gladtomeetya.gif

vilmer_

Tom Penny said:
So I don't have a PS3 , Uncharted, MLB the Show, Ratchet and GTA IV. Ok...if that makes you feel better. That's not alot of games and all there is left this year is MGS4, LBP and R2.

Quality over quantity.

mollipen

Lé Blade Runner said:
I really don't care unless they add a Gamerscore -feature. The 3D Trophies might be pretty cool, though.

Except the Gamerscore system is completely and utterly broken.

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
Fafalada said:
Good things come to those that wait.
gladtomeetya.gif

...and wait...and wait. It seems stupid to shoehorn in me-too features like this after so long.

Achievements can be pretty cool (see: Crackdown) but I don't know anyone in real life who gives a flying fuck about their "gamerscore."

I agree that gamerscore sucks. The only thing I find useful about 360 achievements it the ability to compare my progress in a game to that of my friends.

tha_con

Banned
Tom Penny said:
So I don't have a PS3 , Uncharted, MLB the Show, Ratchet and GTA IV. Ok...if that makes you feel better. That's not alot of games and all there is left this year is MGS4, LBP and R2.
Edited. You know what. Deal with it, cry somewhere else.

Guy Legend

Nice. If they can give us trophies and hopefully in-game xmb, it should satisfy almost everyone. It would make waiting for a home much more acceptable. At least the system's online shortcomings and complaints would be remedied.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
I dont want a gamerscore, i would like if you could actually unlock awesome stuff in home.

IE finish DMC4 on dante must die and get ebony and ivory in home on your wall, stuff like that.

Pimpwerx

Isn't 2.4 supposed to be the firmware with in-game XMB? I know it's not the xmb technically, but the comm. features everyone's been bitching about. I thought a Sony rep said it was coming in 2.4. PEACE.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Pimpwerx said:
Isn't 2.4 supposed to be the firmware with in-game XMB? I know it's not the xmb technically, but the comm. features everyone's been bitching about. I thought a Sony rep said it was coming in 2.4. PEACE.

I suppose you didn't read past the OP :p

The answer to your question is yes.

Evander

"industry expert"
pswii60 said:
Cool stuff. I assume at the same time they'll add the ability to see games your friends have been playing (rather than just currently playing).

Also, will all those 'trophies' I got in Uncharted automatically be imported? I hope so, it'll give me a kickstart :p

Forget uncharted. If my Skill Points from Ratchet and Resistance don't count towards this then I will be INCREDIBILY pissed off.

Tom Penny said:

Really?:lol

OT, I don't want to beat all the races in Motorstorm again, I don't want to get all my medals in Uncharted again and I don't want to beat CoD4 again, I want trophies for all of them though :D

ZeoVGM

Banned
"I hope it doesn't have gamerscore."

Uh, it doesn't affect how you play the games. If you don't care about gamerscore, just don't worry about it. It being there doesn't change your gameplay experience.

I love gamerscore. It's fun comparing it to my friends, gives it an arcade-like experience.

Evander

"industry expert"
omg rite said:

Uh, it doesn't affect how you play the games. If you don't care about gamerscore, just don't worry about it. It being there doesn't change your gameplay experience.

I love gamerscore. It's fun comparing it to my friends, gives it an arcade-like experience.

Personally, I like gamerscore just for myself, to watch it go up. I don't even bother looking at my friends' scores.

I look at it kind of like an odometer. I'm about to hit 10k, and I find that very exciting, regardless of how many people are far above that already.

Jim

AranhaHunter said:
OT, I don't want to beat all the races in Motorstorm again, I don't want to get all my medals in Uncharted again and I don't want to beat CoD4 again, I want trophies for all of them though :D

Supposedly they can use existing data to figure out what you've already accomplished and apply trophies to that. May require patches for the games though, it really depends.

Jtrizzy

gcubed said:
shhh let him go... its easier to just leave him sound like an ignorant ass then to argue with him.
He's been a little cry baby ever since his Home prediction failed to materialize.

methane47

Tiduz said:
I dont want a gamerscore, i would like if you could actually unlock awesome stuff in home.

IE finish DMC4 on dante must die and get ebony and ivory in home on your wall, stuff like that.

I think thats the point or rather, the end goal... unlocking wallpapers for your apt, shirts, pants, skins, paintings, etc etc etc

I don't think you guys should expect trophies in June. If there are any, it will be very very few since the SDK is just getting the functionality in June so most developers don't even have the ability to do it yet.

Firewire said:
I don't care about scores or accomplishments/achievements really, but I think the trophies could be kind of cool.

If they take the time to 3d model them in HOME like the ones in Burnout 3 then I'm up for it. If its just a list of achievements like on LIVE then no thanks.

Firewire

Banned
omg rite said:

I'm pretty sure Sony said the won't be using a gamer score system.

Jim

methane47 said:
I think thats the point or rather, the end goal... unlocking wallpapers for your apt, shirts, pants, skins, paintings, etc etc etc

This works stupidly well for Hot Shots Golf:OoB, and all you get is costume parts for your little online avatar for the lobbies. It's so addicting :(

AndyD

aka andydumi
Jim said:
This works stupidly well for Hot Shots Golf:OoB, and all you get is costume parts for your little online avatar for the lobbies. It's so addicting :(

Thats the idea. Have someone over to your cool Home apartment and they see a cool Leg Lamp and they ask where its from and you say... "Ahhh, thats my 'Picked up 1000 hookers in GTA4' trophy...in your face!"

But seriously, the Motorstorm, Ratchet and Uncharted devs have already said they prepared stuff like that when they were building the game in anticipation. I imagine just like rumble, small patches will enable the various things in a ton of older games.

The Jer

Len Dontree said:
Achievements can be pretty cool (see: Crackdown) but I don't know anyone in real life who gives a flying fuck about their "gamerscore."
I do. And it really, really bothers me. I wish it didn't exist altogether.

Achievements, on the other hand, are cool and a great idea. I just hope enough older games implement them. Otherwise, they'll lose a lot of their worth.

Wollan said:
SSHD Multiplayer-add on releasing soonish actually comes with Home trophies.

Good stuff. Maybe the trophies will be integrated with Home and people can design some really off-the-wall trophy cases/rooms.

Teknoman

Tiduz said:

That would be awesome, and alot better than achievements.

krypt0nian said:
If they take the time to 3d model them in HOME like the ones in Burnout 3 then I'm up for it. If its just a list of achievements like on LIVE then no thanks.

A HOME screen had a 3d modeled Lair trophy.

Bricfa

Well PSU did call the Haze exclusivity ahead of time...

Could happen. MGS4 is probably designed with trophies in mind.

Edit: Oh it's just some guy on a forum. Still, sounds plausible.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Bricfa said:
Well PSU did call the Haze exclusivity ahead of time...

Could happen. MGS4 is probably designed with trophies in mind.

Edit: Oh it's just some guy on a forum. Still, sounds plausible.

? Haze is exclusive? That has to be the most haziest <- :p

Thing ive ever heard of, one guy says it is and the other guy says it isnt, so confusing.

Marty Chinn said:
I don't think you guys should expect trophies in June. If there are any, it will be very very few since the SDK is just getting the functionality in June so most developers don't even have the ability to do it yet.
Actually, devs are only getting SDK 2.40 in June, but they've been able to support trophies for a while using earlier versions. Several have commented on that. Firmware 2.4 and SDK 2.4 aren't the same thing.

mollipen

omg rite said:

Leaderboards gives you an arcade-like experience. Gamerscore doesn't, and is meaningless because with absolutely no rules to what achievements can get what kinds of points, there is absolutely no consistency behind the value of said points.

h3ro

It'd be great if Sony could get us this update at the launch of MGS4. Probably won't happen, but who knows...

Bricfa

Tiduz said:
? Haze is exclusive? That has to be the most haziest <- :p

Thing ive ever heard of, one guy says it is and the other guy says it isnt, so confusing.
It's not? Hur hur, nice pun. Wikipedia says nothing about a 360/PC version.

Top Bottom