• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4's art is racist and the antagonist is (potentially) gay

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkFlow

Banned
He posted the cuddling pic. Please be SHOCKED.

HnsBYsr.gif

rdrr gnr

Jed Whitaker ‏@Jed05 1m
YA FOUND ME. OH NOES. #WitchHunt

and now hes claiming witch hunt. I think this funship has run its course.

In case you actually care about things OP, no one would have called you out if you didn't come across so ass backwards with your intention.
Yeah, I think I'm done. I generally avoid these discussions but the fact the thread went up the second after I saw the announcement thread, I was just stupefied.

Majanew

Banned
lol i'm straight and i dress and look almost exactly like that all the time. Have I been being straight wrong this whole time?

Boys wear blue and girls wear pink like nature intended. Sheesh. Be one with nature, bromosexual.

And with that, I'm out of this thread. Will revisit when details for the game release.

Watching a new firestorm break out every day quickly grows exhausting. Same reason a bunch of people are getting sick of game performance threads, even if the overall subject merits discussion. Folks get wound up too much on both sides of the fence which makes the dialogue tiring to read for anyone with a moderate or undetermined stance, and then every possible point of contention gets blown into a new thread, so it's impossible to ever get them out of your peripheral awareness even if you're actively avoiding them.

This thread right here is entitled "Far Cry 4's art is racist", which is a very strong starting point for a discussion, and all the OP's got to back that claim up is Twitter reactions, which is the worst possible platform for constructive discourse. He's also not personally calling the art racist, so I can't fathom what he was thinking by phrasing the title in such a declarative way that's guaranteed to draw equally strong kneejerk replies.

Toning the ferocity and quantity of the discourse down would go a long way towards improving its quality.
Now here is a discussion we can have. :) I do agree with you that the OP doesn't help matters with his tone or his clickbait thread title. It seems to bring out the worst in people on each side, whether it be inflammatory titles with poor reasearch or the lamenting of adding diversity in video games.

The firestorms were enevitable, yet I expect nothing less. There are positives in creating some of these threads such as the Miiquality thread. If every thread was like that one, it wouldn't be Neogaf.

Jed Whitaker ‏@Jed05 1m

In case you actually care about things OP, no one would have called you out if you didn't come across so ass backwards with your intention.
Is this guy a Polygon journalist.

Jed Whitaker ‏@Jed05 1m

Witch Hunt?

People are calling him out for pushing an agenda and assuming things and instead of defending himself here he takes to twitter and cry's wolf, no I'm sorry but fuck this guy.

P.S. I'm wearing a purple shirt as i write this ;)

Considering how gross Far Cry 3 was with it's white savior themes and the male rape, I'm not really confident about this. Do we know if it's the same writer?

PaulloDEC

I don't really see the issue. Why can't a villain be gay, or flamboyant, or both? Why can't a light skinned character be racist, or just unpleasant towards a dark skinned character? Unless the writers are trying to suggest these things are good, or socially acceptable traits, what's the problem?

If we all put the disc in on launch day to find that the guy in the suit is actually the protagonist, and that the game is dedicated to glorifying violence and hatred against a particular racial group while spouting camp cliches, the OP might have a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom