• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, uh, the crazy buttocks on a train (CBOAT) is back?

I think the problem a lot had with him was that he was the main source of a ton of FUD about the X1 before it launched... if I remember right pretty much up until launch about how the X1 was going to be a complete mess. Then it launched.. and it really wasn't what he made it out to be.

The X1 and MS had PR problems for sure with the 180 (mainly before).. but after the 180.. CBOAT was a main driver in continuing the FUD about all these issues the X1 was going to have.

Honestly, a lot of what CBOAT was doing sounded like a jaded employee who was attacking his employer because he was unhappy. It's not really an admirable trait.

The TF stuff wasn't the first time he was wrong about something, or overplayed what was going on.
Exactly.

Cess007

I think the problem a lot had with him was that he was the main source of a ton of FUD about the X1 before it launched... if I remember right pretty much up until launch about how the X1 was going to be a complete mess. Then it launched.. and it really wasn't what he made it out to be.

The X1 and MS had PR problems for sure with the 180 (mainly before).. but after the 180.. CBOAT was a main driver in continuing the FUD about all these issues the X1 was going to have.

Honestly, a lot of what CBOAT was doing sounded like a jaded employee who was attacking his employer because he was unhappy. It's not really an admirable trait.

The TF stuff wasn't the first time he was wrong about something, or overplayed what was going on.

There's no way you actually believe that. A lots of stuff CBoat leaked was right, it just that they were regarding the problems and errors of MS/XBO, and certain sector just didn't like that and started hating him for that. I agree that at one point CBoat became confrontational with some people (something that it would have been better if he didn't did it) but i'm sure it must have been 'cause he got tired of being called stuff (i clearly remember someone saying he should quit his job if he hated MS that much and stop being so bitter/jaded employee)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
We knew that the Prophet will return and he is here.

Breaking embargos is not prophesy. Nor does it require any particular skill or insight. Ultimately he is taking or being given information and leaking it, illegally and often erroneously.

And he isn't doing it for some noble or worthy reason. He's doing it for attention.

People, including nice people with kids and families and stuff, work super hard on this stuff and wake up in the morning to find some of their effort blown up.

It's not fun, and for what? So you can have a mildly interesting surprise 8 hours early and lacking context? Or get hyped or disappointed disproportionately?

Or get someone fired or someone innocent yelled at?

Ok. But it isn't prophecy, nor ultimately even important. It's annoying.

Ishida

Banned
Breaking embargos is not prophesy. Nor does it require any particular skill or insight. Ultimately he is taking or being given information and leaking it, illegally and often erroneously.

And he isn't doing it for some noble or worthy reason. He's doing it for attention.

People, including nice people with kids and families and stuff, work super hard on this stuff and wake up in the morning to find some of their effort blown up.

It's not fun, and for what? So you can have a mildly interesting surprise 8 hours early and lacking context? Or get hyped or disappointed disproportionately?

y u so mad doe?

PhatSaqs

Banned

Welp parties over...
22mZ9RI.gif

Word.

Ishida

Banned
This... not sure why so many people take things on the internet, and especially a gaming forum so seriously.

Pretty much. I like CBOAT's leaks, but I've always saw his "worship" as pure fun and parody. The guy gets us all excited when he leaks something, all the rest is just extra cream to laugh a little.

udiie

This... not sure why so many people take things on the internet, and especially a gaming forum so seriously.

i dont take it "so" seriously. its basically like an annoying meme that just wont go away. the jokes arent all that funny, and theyre not even creative.

Experien

Was a lot of effort put into the Halo 5: Guardians announcement? I mean they posted concept art, some box-art like image and then had a PR blurb saying, "oh 343 is working hard to make this game just like the other Halos but different, but the same. It is great, so like it!"

They worked hard on the game, some person leaking and announcement ahead of time doesn't make the game worse or better.

Holding back info is dumb anyway. Why such secrecy? Who cares if a game title gets leaked? In the movie industry you find out when a movie is greenlit to be made and you can follow it throughout production if you like. If a dev is making a game, there doesn't need to be secrecy around it until the unveiling. Also, it is good to know info before a product launches, if it can potentially be an issue of quality that could change your purchasing decision that the gaming media likes to hide to protect said company.

Cornbread78

CBOAT's Journal: May 16th, 2014

Fnbloy anbnning nhtread thess mrning, llisy ostp abt MS. hist icty s afrd off mii. Eye hve siiin itis teru acef.

Het trehads r extnded uttersg n teh ttugers r ful fo blud n whn teh darins ifnally scb ovr, lal teh veremin wil drwn.

Teh acumultd flth off lal thair bd posts n fnbloy drvel wil fome upp abut thair waits n lal teh fnbloys n afferGs wil luk pup n showt "aveS sus!"... n eye'l luk dwn n whspr "LOL oNo.”

Do we have a CBOAT interpretor that can break this down for us?

Was a lot of effort put into the Halo 5: Guardians announcement? I mean they posted concept art, some box-art like image and then had a PR blurb saying, "oh 343 is working hard to make this game just like the other Halos but different, but the same. It is great, so like it!"

They worked hard on the game, some person leaking and announcement ahead of time doesn't make the game worse or better.

I don't think he's specifically talking about this latest post, but more the oeuvre.

If the industry wasn't so needlessly secretive, leakers wouldn't exist in the same fashion as they do now.

Vico

Dude, just a heads up, you're actually talking to the head of the Halo franchise ahah.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

Fnbloy anbnning nhtread thess mrning, llisy ostp abt MS. hist icty s afrd off mii. Eye hve siiin itis teru acef.

Het trehads r extnded uttersg n teh ttugers r ful fo blud n whn teh darins ifnally scb ovr, lal teh veremin wil drwn.

Teh acumultd flth off lal thair bd posts n fnbloy drvel wil fome upp abut thair waits n lal teh fnbloys n afferGs wil luk pup n showt "aveS sus!"... n eye'l luk dwn n whspr "LOL oNo.”
This might be the single greatest post I have ever read.

ITT: A junior member learns who Stinkles is. And is shamed thusly.

Chettlar

Banned

It's not that. It's somebody spoiling you're work after working hard on that thing.

When you do something really hard that takes years and years, don't you think you should have first rights to tell people about it?

Listen, I getchu. Like, seriously I do (like I said in the first half of this post). You've put a lot of time into this, getting ready for something, and then somebody goes and spoils it whatever. It's awful. I've been in a similar situation, and for you with Halo, it's probably exponentially worse. (So everything I'm going to say is in total respect and appreciation for that)

But at the same time, I gotta say, honestly, if we waited for your guys' announcements all the time, with no leaks and everybody being "legal." The game industry would be soooo boring. You guys keep us completely in the dark about whatever you're doing. People want to know what's happening. It's great to keep surprises. Nobody wants to be spoiled on it. But when we're completely starving for information on something for years and years, it's kinda nice to have a little bone to chew on.

And you don't do that, so somebody else gotta.

And besides, it isn't as if CBOAT really leaked anything. Nobody knew what the hell he meant. A few people had an inkling, but that was it. CBOAT, whoever he/she is, understands what I was talking about in the last paragraph. He didn't spoil anything, but he sure got us excited.

With all due respect, just speaking honestly from my position as a consumer, it's a lot better than you guys in the industry at large ever do.

If you don't like CBOAT threads, don't go in them. It's really simple. I don't go in threads about sports games to talk about how much I don't like them. Why go out of your way to be annoying and whiny?

Pretty much. I like CBOAT's leaks, but I've always saw his "worship" as pure fun and parody. The guy gets us all excited when he leaks something, all the rest is just extra cream to laugh a little.
You and I agree on something!

Wereroku

Listen, I getchu. Like, seriously I do. You've put a lot of time into this, getting ready for something, and then somebody goes and spoils it whatever. It's awful. I've been in a similar situation, and for you with Halo, it's probably exponentially worse. (So everything I'm going to say is in total respect and appreciation for that)

But at the same time, I gotta say, honestly, if we waited for your guys' announcements all the time, with no leaks and everybody being "legal." The game industry would be soooo boring. You guys keep us completely in the dark about whatever you're doing. People want to know what's happening. It's great to keep surprises. Nobody wants to be spoiled on it. But when we're completely starving for information on something for years and years, it's kinda nice to have a little bone to chew on.

And you don't do that, so somebody else gotta.

And besides, it isn't as if CBOAT really leaked anything. Nobody knew what the hell he meant. A few people had an inkling, but that was it. CBOAT, whoever he/she is, understands what I was talking about in the last paragraph. He didn't spoil anything, but he sure got us excited.

With all due respect, just speaking honestly from my position as a consumer, it's a lot better than you guys in the industry at large ever do.

They have to have a certain amount of secrecy just because of things that can happen like with Stig's game and Black Tusks game. Imagine if we had followed and been given information on those throughout then suddenly just shit canned or radically changed. Part of the outrage of MML3 was because they were open and the game was cancelled and that hung over Capcom US shitting on any event they did for a while after.

^^ This is what revisionist history looks like.

Oh please. The FUD being spread by cboat in the weeks leading to the X1's release was ridiculous. Live being broken, early adopters in for a rude awakening, etc.

If anything, trying to deny that he was posting highly volatile rumours is a considerably more apt example of revisionist history.

Hopefully he's learned to handle rumours and sources better.

EvB

Those be real Truthbombs

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Oh please. The FUD being spread by cboat in the weeks leading to the X1's release was ridiculous. Live being broken, early adopters in for a rude awakening, etc.

If anything, trying to deny that he was posting highly volatile rumours is a considerably more apt example of revisionist history.

It's interesting to see how fast people here will champion him and other insiders when they leak something to their liking though... heh.

PhatSaqs

Banned

Truth but I dont think it was all on "him".. And not for nothing, I really dont think "he" is a "he" or "she" at all. But thats just my gut.

Justified

Do we have a CBOAT interpretor that can break this down for us?

I dont think is from CBOAT, doesnt look like his cryptic style. I tried though:

Fanboy [banning?] thread this morning, silly post about MS. This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face.

The threads are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally [flow] over, all the vermin will drown.

The accumulated filth of all their post and fanboy drivel will [??? about their waist?] and all the fanboys and gaffers will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "LOL, No."

*edit* oh crap just notice this is basically Rorschach monologue from Watchmen, been a awhile since I saw the movie

markom58

Neo Member

#truthfact

georly

To everyone complaining about him leaking, I don't know about you, but a 'leak' has potential to hype me up for a game more than most things can. A leak will make me watch a trailer for a game I might not have given the time of day. I *WATCHED THE CALL OF DUTY* trailer because it 'leaked' early. I don't give a shit about call of duty, but I watched it because it leaked. Leaks work, leaks build hype, leaks make me perk up my ears. Releasing a random trailer for a game does nothing for me unless there is a lot of chatter behind it ("You *HAVE* to watch this trailer!). Leaks work.

I definitely hate it when people try to cut through the bullshit in this industry, I'm not a fan of transparency, or finding out details about anything gaming related until it's told to me in a press release. Think about their livelihoods for a change, not us Cboat.

Ishida

Banned
To everyone complaining about him leaking, I don't know about you, but a 'leak' has potential to hype me up for a game more than most things can. A leak will make me watch a trailer for a game I might not have given the time of day. I *WATCHED THE CALL OF DUTY* trailer because it 'leaked' early. I don't give a shit about call of duty, but I watched it because it leaked. Leaks work, leaks build hype, leaks make me perk up my ears. Releasing a random trailer for a game does nothing for me unless there is a lot of chatter behind it ("You *HAVE* to watch this trailer!). Leaks work.

I think we all know who the people complaining about CBOAT's leaks are, and where do they work. ;)

Volatile to who? Microsoft? Who cares. They are a company, the exist to take money from us and not let us know when shit is going wrong. The guy was warning consumers of possible shortcomings in a time when Penello was here spouting non-sense and actively lying about performance concerns.

I think the smarter part (if it was deliberate) was Iron Man in the GOTG concept art. He is not (to my knowledge) in the movie so he stuck like a sore thumb and correlated to the new box art.

Veering slightly OT, but Iron Man was a part of the Guardians this past year in the comics to draw interest to the GotG, and most folks figure he will show up at some point in the movie.

Probably after the credits, per MCU standard procedure.

Top Bottom