• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians revealed - more at E3 - Fall 2015 [Box Art person is new guy]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Girls are awesome. I love girls. They are honestly, without any exaggeration, better than ice cream and karate combined.

But it is not a girl.

It is a boy.

You really don't want us thinking it's a girl don't you. Why?

Honestly dude, the suit looks feminine, Cortana isn't dead, and that blue light shining out of the helmet (or reflecting, whatever) is about as non-subtle a nod as can be.

Also,

"Ellie isn't playable in The Last of Us." Neil Druckmann

Bsigg12

Yeah I felt so bad for MC at end of H4

I just replayed the last 3 missions of 4 today, and you know what, it was pretty well done. Having Lasky try to talk to Chief at the end before he goes and has his armor taken off was one of those moments where you're like, well now, John is rediscovering his humanity.

Maybe the other spartan isn't a new character and is Chief in a new suit. I know that 343 guys said he's a new character, but maybe they don't want to give away that MC is getting a makeover.

At the end of Halo 4, he does finally come out of his "shell". Not hard to assume that he will be getting new armor this time around

This game should be called Halo 5: The Search for Cortana.

I think you are correct both figures are Master Chief
so the top guy would be the new suit... hmmm

Bsigg12

Was that confirmed?

Yes

For clarification:

This needs to be quoted on every page.

GU61POrm.png

LordOfChaos

Was that confirmed?

They did say so, in the same tweet that said it was a male. Master Chief in new armour being the new character doesn't sit right.

MC getting new Forerunner tech based armor would be neat, but I hope he doesn't look like a skinnybitch like that guy.

EvB

Anyway, moving on from the gender debate, is this new engine just a reworked Halo 4 engine? So, just gutted and new tech added?

They have refferred to it as a brand new engine, but I suspect it is as you say Most game engines are iterative versions of previously used ones with things that get ripped out and replaced, module by module. But I think for Marketing's sake they will refer to it as a new engine at all times as people can't get their head around the Halo engine.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Man I am so pumped for this game, coming back to this thread often just to see if any new info is released but who am I kidding :(

More than a year wait

black-and-white-chris-brown-depressed-gif-sad-Favim.com-295171.gif

Bsigg12

Anyway, moving on from the gender debate, is this new engine just a reworked Halo 4 engine? So, just gutted and new tech added?

We can speculate, but I don't think we'll find out for a while. Considering they're making the complete jump to the Xbox One, I can see it being an engine built from the ground up to use everything the Xbox One can offer without being held back by old 360 optimizations. That's me being optimistic though.

TheOddOne

They have refferred to it as a brand new engine, but I suspect it is as you say Most game engines are iterative versions of previously used ones with things that get ripped out and replaced, module by module. But I think for Marketing's sake they will refer to it as a new engine at all times as people can't get their head around the Halo engine.
Yeah, probably more iterative step than actual total revamp. Kind of understandable, because the Halo engine at its core unique thing that can be difficult to reproduce in other engine.

LordOfChaos

I rather see the remaining Spartan 2's from the books be in the game than new Spartan 4's. Bring back Fred and Kelly!

Spartan family reunion to kick the Didacts ass. He's no doubt not done with yet. And his suit is way to much for just one spartan to take down.

I just replayed the last 3 missions of 4 today, and you know what, it was pretty well done. Having Lasky try to talk to Chief at the end before he goes and has his armor taken off was one of those moments where you're like, well now, John is rediscovering his humanity.

You definitely get it and are pretty much expressing a big part of the reason why I loved Halo 4 so much. I really loved that damn game. Very well done.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Yeah, probably more iterative step than actual total revamp. Kind of understandable, because the Halo engine at its core unique thing that can be difficult to reproduce in other engine.

The things at the core are vital, but a tiny fraction of the overall engine footprint. It's a new engine. Not an iteration or a rendering evolution.

It's a new engine.

You definitely get it and are pretty much expressing a big part of the reason why I loved Halo 4 so much. I really loved that damn game. Very well done.

Im going to be pissed if the series tries to just move on.

I think she's somehow alive in the Forerunner domain, which is like a digital record of their entire civilization's history.

Feindflug

The things at the core are vital, but a tiny fraction of the overall engine footprint. It's a new engine. Not an iteration or a rendering evolution.

It's a new engine.

Well that's interesting...can't wait to see the new engine in action. :)

That being said it's quite hard to imagine a game with a Halo 3-like scale running at 60fps, oh god this will be absolutely glorious and a dream come true. :O

TheOddOne

It's a new engine.
So there is that.

Never thought you would even comment, because of it being so far away. Thanks.

It's a new engine.

So it's not Blam 4.82764234?

We are talking NEW ENGINE. Tag system still in place? AFAIK the Tag system had some heavy limitations in the past.

4's armor design is terrible, proportions are screwed up as well.
giraffe neck.

Master Chief has never looked more badass imo. That last scene as he walked back onto the Infinity looking far less than victorious and totally crushed emotionally after losing Cortana is one of gaming's great scenes imo. Or maybe I'm just too damn in love with Halo 4 to see it any other way, but it was so awesome, and that music. My goodness, the music in that scene was so damn good.

Sssh. You will make a FfyreWulf come.

Heh, Just trying to get a baseline on "new engine". Really curious to how evolved it is. If it is evolved. Are we talking Unreal 2 to Unreal 3 style leap or has the Blam engine been retired and we have a entirely new beast.

Physics are a big part of Halo for me, Is Havok still around or is it a new physics solution?

LordOfChaos

Master Chief has never looked more badass imo. That last scene as he walked back onto the Infinity looking far less than victorious and totally crushed emotionally after losing Cortana is one of gaming's great scenes imo. Or maybe I'm just too damn in love with Halo 4 to see it any other way, but it was so awesome, and that music. My goodness, the music in that scene was so damn good.

Gods yes. That clenched fist, such a small gesture, but it showed how devastated he was. And the hunch in his shoulders, head down, etc. The mocap really did add a lot to the games. That song was also one of the few I really liked off 4s soundtrack.

For me its
and CE by far.
Armors looked good in 2 & 3, alright to meh in Reach, but just hated 4's.
Leg armor looked great in 4 but the crotch, chest and arms were really bad.

The domain that the Halo array destroyed?

I think it can and might have been restored somehow. There may be something that needs to be done to bring it back, but I don't believe all that knowledge is truly lost forever.

Gods yes. That clenched fist, such a small gesture, but it showed how devastated he was. And the hunch in his shoulders, head down, etc. The mocap really did add a lot to the games. That song was also one of the few I really liked off 4s soundtrack.

Yes, the clenched fist! I literally pm'd Frankie about that very part. It's so subtle, but it was super effective. His body language said it all. Incredible mo cap work. Halo 4's soundtrack was different, but I really enjoyed it. It was skillfully utilized in the game, I thought. Or how about the part when he took off in the longsword after the Didact. Master Chief showcased so much skill in this game and I just couldn't get enough of it. He lived up to the legend.

TheXbox

I definitely don't love Halo 4, but it's true. Master Chief armor in Halo 4 was the best. If it had the motocross helmet from Halo 2, it would be perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom