• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs biggest non-GTA/BF/CoD/FIFA UK launch, 17th biggest all-time, 76% PS4/XB1

So WD was as much a system seller for PS4 ad TF was for the X1. And some people still thing exclusive marketing doesn't work?

the thirst is real

btw. the online modes are genuinely entertaining, same for the side missions but not as good as the intrusion hide & seek

best non-shooting 1 on 1 since a long time

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The power of Christy Mack.

83411-I-understood-that-reference-gi-6jlf.gif

76% next gen. They should have just canceled the PS360 versions.

Halo grew big over time, Halo 2 was when it stated having explosive first week sales.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Multi-platform game is selling PS4.

Honestly I expect multiplatform games to by far be the biggest sales drivers for PS4/XB1 this generation.

They're the titles that sell 5, 10, 20+ million copies on a regular basis and have huge audiences that will want to follow them into the next generation.

76% next gen. They should have just canceled the PS360 versions.

Halo grew big over time, Halo 2 was when it stated having explosive first week sales.

24% of what is sure to be excellent sales is nothing to throw away. The hell is wrong with some of you? I hope ya'll never run businesses.

Zakalwe

Banned
Not really surprised.

Lots of hype and lack of new games for current gen.

The game is also surprisingly good. Easy to write off, but the MP is incredibly fun and the game itself has engaged me much more than I ever thought it would.

They'll invest heavily in the next one which is a good thing, it has a lot of potential.

Surprised the game is doing so well. And, 94% increase in hardware for PS4 ? Damn !

Good for Ubisoft but not sure it's good for gamers, i'm afraid it'll become like Assassins Creed which is annual releases and been there done that feel...

Skeff

Well:

www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=829294 Pal week 22
www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=825949 Pal week 21
www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=821575 Pal week 20
www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=817294 Pal week 19
www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=813901 Pal week 18

annnnd then I get bored, you get the idea.

EDIT: After a quick look, it appears XB1 out sold 360 launch week then 360 outsold x1 every other week I think. (didn't check every week but that seems to be the case)

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
Releasing during the summer drought is the best thing they could have done for this game.

Extremely well deserved, a great game that is still holding my full attention after a week. This doesn't happen very often any more, so I'm impressed.

I can see how those playing on previous generation would want to upgrade to a PS4/X1 after seeing it.

24% of what is sure to be excellent sales is nothing to throw away. The hell is wrong with some of you? I hope ya'll never run businesses.

My hilarious tag assumes that Ubi spent no more than 20% of the production budget on the last gen versions, and it assumes that the money couldn't have been better spent on making the next gen versions look and run better, which could have increased sales proportionately.

94% increase in PS4 sales? On top of how well they're already doing?

Damn.

The mass market hype for this was real. It was always going to move next gen consoles because it was pushed as a next game game.

Really dumb move on MS's part announcing the price drop before Watch Dogs dropped. Basically telling anyone looking to upgrade in time for watch dogs that you should go with PS4.

SDCowboy

And how well did it really boost sales? not well enough. If Titanfall is anything to go by, Destiny won't do much for console sales, for either Sony or MS.

COMPLETELY different. One is essentially (marketing wise) an exclusive on a console consumers largely seem disinterested in. The latter (Destiny) is being marketed for a console that is crushing the competition.

grumble

Not surprised. Two consoles whose entire ownership base is hardcore gamers with nothing to play.

That publishers don't understand this is insane. This is the best time in the last several years to launch a title or start a franchise and no one is doing it. The small install base is very misleading when you can get 30% attach rates...

If I was a game company shareholder i'd be furious.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Not surprised. Two consoles whose entire ownership base is hardcore gamers with nothing to play.

That publishers don't understand this is insane. This is the best time in the last several years to launch a title or start a franchise and no one is doing it. The small install base is very misleading when you can get 30% attach rates...

If I was a game company shareholder i'd be furious.

SEGGAAAAAAAAAA -_-

Pain

Banned
And how well did it really boost sales? not well enough. If Titanfall is anything to go by, Destiny won't do much for console sales, for either Sony or MS.
These are two completely different games. I don't see how Titanfall failing to love up to the hype has anything to do with Destiny.
Destiny is a full game with a huge budget and talented developers.
Titanfall was created by a small team, has little content and was rushed to market.

Kinthalis

Banned
My hilarious tag assumes that Ubi spent no more than 20% of the production budget on the last gen versions, and it assumes that the money couldn't have been better spent on making the next gen versions look and run better, which could have increased sales proportionately.

It also assumes UK's retail sales apply globally. It's possible that other territories have a larger share of retail sales going to the last gen consoles.

Paganmoon

COMPLETELY different. One is essentially (marketing wise) an exclusive on a console consumers largely seem disinterested in. The latter (Destiny) is being marketed for a console that is crushing the competition.

I don't understand how that changes anything regarding console sales. Destiny won't be moving consoles on the same level as WD or even Titanfall did.

The mass market hype for this was real. It was always going to move next gen consoles because it was pushed as a next game game.

Really dumb move on MS's part announcing the price drop before Watch Dogs dropped. Basically telling anyone looking to upgrade in time for watch dogs that you should go with PS4.

Would they have been telling people any different if they hadn't announced the kinectless option when they did? It's meant to offer people a more enticing value proposition that the kinect at $100 more situation was clearly failing to do.

I imagine from the June 9th date that it was meant to be an E3 keynote reveal, with a 'from today you can buy a kinectless XBO' type surprise. Then they read the feel of the wind (a heads up on preorders) that WD was going to going to be driven by new gen sales and wanted to put something out there that could make people thinking of upgrading for WD pause and consider their options.

SDCowboy

I don't understand how that changes anything regarding console sales. Destiny won't be moving consoles on the same level as WD or even Titanfall did.

I completely disagree. Destiny is wildly hyped, is being made by Bungie and caters to fans of several different genres. It's also marketed with the console that consumers are significantly more interested in. I would be shocked if Destiny didn't outsell WD and vastly outsell Titanfall.

Paganmoon

I completely disagree. Destiny is wildly hyped, is being made by Bungie and caters to fans of several different genres. It's also marketed with the console that consumers are significantly more interested in. I would be shocked if Destiny didn't outsell WD and vastly outsell Titanfall.

I'm not arguing game copies, I'm arguing console sales. It won't move as many machines as WD did for PS4 or Titanfall for X1.

Speaking of hype, Titanfall was hyped to hell and back in gaming news, WD was hyped pretty much everywhere, people who aren't core gamers knew what it was as far back as last year. Destiny? not so much, it's 3 months away and the chatter outside core gaming communities is virtually non existent.

Top Bottom