• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Master Chief Collection: H1-4. H2 full remaster. 1080p60. $59.99 Nov 11 Xbox One

undrtakr900

Someday when I get a XBone, this will be one of the first games I pick up.

More companies should do updated/upgraded collection like this, its a great deal + serious fan-service.

==========

eDIt: Question:
I saw in the OP that all the game have online coop, which is awesome, but was wondering will all the games have online multiplayer too, Or just Halo 2?

By the way Desolation and Tombstone are now IN:

Previously, we’d told you Tombstone and Desolation were not included, but the good news is that those are going to be in the game along with their counterparts, Hang ‘Em High and Derelict. Basically, every single multiplayer map from Halo 1-4 is included in Halo: The Master Chief Collection.

Source: Waypoint News

One flag on Zanzibar.

-SNIP-
But hey, tower of power anyone?

Don't forget One BOMB on Zanzibar or Burial Mounds or Waterworks or 2 flag on Waterworks or 1 bomb on Headlong or 2 flag on Colossus or....you get the idea. Halo objective is back babeee!

A mate said this exact line on the phone yesterday...Halo 2 ascension Tower of Power, day one.

I can't believe MS mentioned that these games 1 or 2 console generations old are going to be 1080p/60 fps. Yes some of them are remastered, but seriously?

maneil99

I can't believe MS mentioned that these games 1 or 2 console generations old are going to be 1080p/60 fps. Yes some of them are remastered, but seriously?

If they didn't people would complain, plus its a selling point, games are better the higher FPS they are. Not to mention Halo CE had issues with animations at 60fps (Animations were choppy as they ran at 30fps)

timlot

Banned
Add me as a for sure sale. I played the original Halo, but never touched the series afterward.

But how the hell can you pass up a deal like this?

Same for me too. My brother and I played through the Halo CE campaign during Christmas break 2001 and I haven't checked back in with the series since. It will be all new to me can't wait.

Booshka

Same for me too. My brother and I played through the Halo CE campaign during Christmas break 2001 and I haven't checked back in with the series since. It will be all new to me can't wait.

You two should reform to make a Doubles team in Matchmaking.

Halo 1 and 2 OG should be easy to make 1080p60 since XB1 had much slower and only single core X86 CPU plus NX2A is now ancient, but running Halo 3 and 4 @ 1080p60 ain't trivial matter I don't think since 360's CPU has much higher clock than XBO's. It probably required decent amount of recoding.

RoKKeR

Now this is a system seller.

It's the only game coming out this year that is IMO. Not that it's a proper barometer or anything, but this thing has been topping the Amazon best selling charts since it was available for pre-order.

Still can't believe how much they are fitting into this thing.

Now, disc or digital...

I still can't get over the fact that this game has over 100 maps in multiplayer....

mindblown_6413a2aef3142eab8dd789403f71008e.gif

It's tough to say the game has over 100 multiplayer maps, because they're including the Spartan Ops maps in that number. If you were counting some sort of makeshift co-op campaign experience as maps, then fuck it, toss in an extra 30+ for all the campaign levels and call them "multiplayer maps".

That said, there's a lot of fuckin' multiplayer maps in there. I can't wait.

Chitown B

We were just fortunate Halo 2 had excellent maps in that time. Imagine if we were stuck with Halo 3 or Halo 4 quality. Instead of dozens of great map and gametype combos, we'll be lucky if you can find five good ones. You'll be stuck playing AR starts in Construct, or Construct in general, or Snowbound, Epitaph, or Oddball on The Pit. If there was voting in Halo 2, we would have played Midship and Lockout all the time. Granted I loved those maps and yeah they were great, but they had a lot of other great ones in the game.

rose colored glasses here. H3 had some awesome maps. I played 4500 games in MP.

Chitown B

don't get me wrong, this is really cool, and I'm decently excited. But it's not like I haven't played all 4 games into the ground..... I 100% all of them except H4 which I'm missing the Legendary solo. Even finished H2 Vista.

All the maps up for grabs:

Halo 1
  • Battle Creek
  • Blood Gulch
  • Boarding Action
  • Chill Out
  • Chiron TL-34
  • Damnation
  • Danger Canyon (PC)
  • Death Island (PC)
  • Derelict
  • Gephyrophobia (PC)
  • Hang 'Em High
  • Ice Fields (PC)
  • Infinity (PC)
  • Longest
  • Prisoner
  • Rat Race
  • Sidewinder
  • Timberland (PC)
  • Wizard
Halo 2
  • Ascension
  • Backwash
  • Beaver Creek
  • Burial Mounds
  • Coagulation
  • Colossus
  • Containment
  • Desolation
  • District (PC)
  • Elongation
  • Foundation
  • Gemini
  • Headlong
  • Ivory Tower
  • Lockout
  • Midship
  • Relic
  • Sanctuary
  • Terminal
  • Tombstone
  • Turf
  • Uplift (PC)
  • Warlock
  • Waterworks
  • Zanzibar
Halo 3
  • Assembly
  • Avalanche
  • Blackout
  • Boundless
  • Citadel
  • Cold Storage
  • Construct
  • Epilogue
  • Epitaph
  • Foundry
  • Ghost Town
  • Guardian
  • Heretic
  • High Ground
  • Isolation
  • Last Resort
  • Longshore
  • Onslaught
  • Orbital
  • Pit Stop
  • Rat's Nest
  • Sandbox
  • Sandtrap
  • Snowbound
  • Standoff
  • The Pit
  • Valhalla
Halo 4
  • Abandon
  • Adrift
  • Ascent
  • Complex
  • Daybreak
  • Erosion
  • Exile
  • Forge Island
  • Grifball Court
  • Harvest
  • Haven
  • Impact
  • Landfall
  • Longbow
  • Meltdown
  • Monolith
  • Outcast
  • Perdition
  • Pitfall
  • Ragnarok
  • Ravine
  • Relay
  • Settler
  • Shatter
  • Skyline
  • Solace
  • Vertigo
  • Vortex
  • Wreckage
Halo 2 remakes done in Halo 4's Engine
  • Ascension
  • Lockout
  • Zanzibar
  • ???
  • ???
  • ???

106 maps.

Random17

IIRC a description on Ivory Tower was seen in one of the datapoints, and Terminal is an obvious choice for a remake, since it has never been remade.

I have a feeling that the 6th map is either Headlong or Waterworks.

FyreWulff

Yep. It seemed to me that the more popular Halo 2 got, the more Bungie showed their hubris. The disconnect with their core player base became obvious, and their "we know best" attitude got more and more apparent as the years went on and into their next games.

Take bloom and Halo: Reach for example. Despite it being demonstrably bad for competitive gameplay and many players asking for it to be addressed, Bungie refused to budge. They claimed it was "not possible" to disable it and that it was baked too deeply into the game, but anyone with a map editor or a 360 dev kit linked up for realtime memory access could show you that it wasn't true. It wasn't until 343i came along that we were even given the option to play without it.

Actually, Bungie was correct about bloom - they couldn't change it without breaking LAN compatibility, which they had never done for any Halo title, ever. 343 made the bloom changeable, and in the process Reach 1.0 is not compatible with Reach 1.1 on LAN, because it's a client side change.

In fact, I suggested this solution to them ages ago, back before modded disc maps were an issue and burned games online was only at the proof-of-concept stage with the original modified Samsung drive firmware for the Xbox v1.3/1.4. I described the vulnerability before it happened, how and when it would likely happen, and even provided some XDK-friendly code to stop it. They responded by assuring me that the situation was "under control" and banning me.

Literally any counter you could have thought of would have a counter-counter because modders had the keys to the kingdom on the original Xbox. All Bungie did was make modders detectable faster, not block them. By the time 1.5 came out, modding on 360 was more profitable, and most of them had moved on. The patch kiddies didn't have the expertise to get around the checks. "The system being compromised" is in fact, a valid excuse, because they were helpless against any local exploits. Every developer was. By the time 1.5 came out it wasn't even hard to run your own code on the Xbox - all you had to do was take the hard drive out of it, put it in your computer, wait 5 minutes and the entire thing was yours.

ryan299

Some skulls are preorder bonuses? Links not working anymore but it said Amazon and Gamestop each had a skull. There were three shown the two I remember are bandana and grunt funeral.

Random17

... I'm assuming the original skulls and skull positions are still intact right? Halo 2 had the best skull set in the series... endless fun with Envy.

Hell, bring back a proper camo mechanic like in Halo 2, where the enemies cannot see you. Sneaking through the Arbiter missions without engaging the enemy is some of the most fun I've had playing a Halo campaign. Ditto with the Envy skull and the later MC missions.

Halo 1 and 2 OG should be easy to make 1080p60 since XB1 had much slower and only single core X86 CPU plus NX2A is now ancient, but running Halo 3 and 4 @ 1080p60 ain't trivial matter I don't think since 360's CPU has much higher clock than XBO's. It probably required decent amount of recoding.

No it didn't.

The XBone GPU (1,310 GFLOPS) whcih is about as fast as the Radeon 7790 is about 6x faster than the 360 (240 GFLOPS) GPU which is about as fast as the Radeon X1900, not even taking into consideration the other technological advancements (The two chips are 6 generations apart). They could pretty much throw the code at it without optimizations, and the game would probably easily run at 1080p. I wouldn't be surprised if it could run at 4K even. All the coding they probably did was due to moving architectures (PPC to x86-64) and DirectX versions and/or GPU specific code (like eDRAM etc.).

Raab

Neo Member
Just noticed you have Onslaught listed for Halo 3. Why is that?

edit: Actually Halo 3's list all kinds of weird. Snowbound and Boundless, Epilogue and Epitaph.

Onslaught was done by MLG forger Salot I believe. Boundless and Epilogue got rid of the fights with your reflection (removed shield doors).

FyreWulff

Pit Stop is also on there. All 3 of those variants can't be made with regular Forge. It would make some sort of sense to include those variants on-disc. Missing Sand Tarp though.

furious

Banned
No it didn't.

The XBone GPU (1,310 GFLOPS) whcih is about as fast as the Radeon 7790 is about 6x faster than the 360 (240 GFLOPS) GPU which is about as fast as the Radeon X1900, not even taking into consideration the other technological advancements (The two chips are 6 generations apart). They could pretty much throw the code at it without optimizations, and the game would probably easily run at 1080p. I wouldn't be surprised if it could run at 4K even. All the coding they probably did was due to moving architectures (PPC to x86-64) and DirectX versions and/or GPU specific code (like eDRAM etc.).

Don't forget the dedicated servers ;)

belushy

Banned
Pit Stop is also on there. All 3 of those variants can't be made with regular Forge. It would make some sort of sense to include those variants on-disc. Missing Sand Tarp though.

True, but as you said, they are variants and I wouldn't put them towards the map total. I'm not trying to make a super big deal over his list, just that I found it weird.

Raab

Neo Member
I know what they are, but I don't understand why he put them on the list like that.

I see what you mean. I'm actually hoping there is a variant to the shield door maps now that I look over the list (not that I cared for them...). I haven't played H3 in a long time, but shield doors couldn't be removed in Forge I thought. Will both versions of the maps be included?

Edit: Full circle ended up talking about what you already know

So are Epilogue, Boundless, Pit Stop, SAND TARP, and the like confirmed?

I hope that's also 1 of the 6, to many good maps to pick from.
Must have been a tough selection process.

It wouldn't be unreasonable to expect another three as DLC.

My guess:

• Ascension
  • Lockout
  • Zanzibar
  • Turf
  • Terminal
  • Ivory Tower

DLC:

• Headlong
  • Colossus
  • Beaver Creek

Random17

Another thing; in Halo 2 the MC transfers Cortana onto computer systems by using his hand during cutscenes, and during gameplay he simply needs to be in close proximity to the uplink.

Will the cutscenes change this to the chip we see in Halo CE/Halo 3?

Top Bottom