• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limbo of the Lost stole from Oblivion, Morrowind, UT2K4, Diablo, Silent Hill, more?

Bernbaum

Link to the User Contributions page on Wikipedia from someone who was most likely involved with the development of the game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...utions&limit=500&target=Trypstik&month=&year=

User authored the original Wiki entry over a year ago, and updated the article with an intimate knowledge of the plot and gameplay design. This would otherwise be trivial, had not the person uploaded screenshots of the game during development in 2007. Such screenshots have since been removed by Wikipedia's Fair Use Autobots.

I really want to know what those 2007 screens looked like.

bgudna

also add Beetlejuice to the list! :D
beetle1.jpg

beetle2.jpg

Dreavus

:lol

This is completely ridiculous. I ask again: how the hell did they think they'd get away with this?

I wouldn't be surprised if the final puzzle of the game asks you how many companies they ripped off in total.

Vagabundo

I think they only logical solution is for all developers and publishers to join a Class Action Suit. You can be sure they have stolen from every single game ever made. Evar...

Totally unreal.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Rorschach said:
Unreal...
The game stole from that too, ehheh.

Honestly though, I should have bought a copy from GAME while I had the chance, this will be a collectors item in years to come, an example of plagurism on a scale that probably has never been, or will be topped.

I can't wait for the dev "team" to be found, I cannot wait to hear their excuses for such actions.

RyanDG

I'm currently working on a video walk through of Limbo of the Lost... The sad thing about this whole mess is the fact that for an adventure game made by 3 people it's not entirely horrible
okay, it is pretty bad, but still...
- even if they did use someone else's engine, someone else's graphics, and of course someone else's music! Once I complete it (probably this weekend), I'll see about posting it on YouTube for everyone's enjoyment.

FoxSpirit

esbern said:
Name: SBOVIS
Position: Frequent poster
Date Registered: June 14, 2004, 10:35:29 AM
Last Active: Today at 10:33:28 AM
he knows he is fucked

Did he do this intentionally? o_O

LakeEarth

ssoass said:
I'm not sure about that actually, it doesn't have the same feel/style as Silent Hill 3/4 at all.
The subways in Silent Hill 3/4 are pretty realistic.
This.... isn't, it's stylistically different.
Its not SH4, its the train from one of the multiplayer levels in UT2K4.

Hi all,

I'm Marko Hautamäki and I composed the music for LotL game level backgrounds and most DVD features, and my music also appeared in several trailer videos that can be found in YouTube.

I am preparing a press statement about my involvement in the game development and this is also why I registered to this forum. This is very bad publicity for me as a composer. Thus I'm trying to do everything I can to clear my own name.

There have been speculations that the game contains stolen music. Majestic Studios project leader Steve Bovis assured me this is not the case and I can 100% guarantee the material I was personally involved in. I have the original project files of every music piece I made for the game to prove this.

I will post the press release here as well.

Meanwhile, I will try to check this forum every now and then. If you have any questions I'll try to answer them but please bear in mind that a) I'm bound by NDA, and b) apart from music I have practically no information on the game creation process. I got involved in the project in May 2006 and finished my part in December 2006.

If anyone has actually found stolen music in the game, I would very much like to know about it!

Sincerely,
Marko Hautamäki
http://forum.gamesradar.com/viewtopic.php?p=3296645&highlight=#3296645

Xabora

Illuminati said:
More screenshots and if you can make a fraps movie please!
I was gone yesterday... busy with stuff.

But I'll take some today.

LOL @ Beetlejuice

Talamius said:
The funniest thing is an unopened copy of the game may be worth something in a few years. :lol
My box was crushed in shipment. XD

GarthVaderUK said:

It must suck to be the legitimate guy on a project like that. I'd be beyond pissed. Heck, I worked on one of the games they stole from (didn't do the art, but did work on the very level they stole from), and it's doesn't bother me really (it's not like this theft is what drove my old employer out of business). That guy's whole rep is a bit tarnished by this, though hopefully he's able to distance himself from it enough.

$h@d0w said:
This game is fucking terrible.

A graphic adventure relies on it's characters, environment and story to form an immersive world.

This game has none of those elements.

How can you say that! This clearly combines the best of the very best...

Nikashi

Banned
Wired said:
I don't know what you mean, they are obviously very talented seeing as they've managed to duplicate the scenery and graphics of other games and media exactly. I think we can all agree that that takes some real talent.

They're static backgrounds made from barely photoshopped screenshots from said games.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
ssoass said:
I'm not sure about that actually, it doesn't have the same feel/style as Silent Hill 3/4 at all.
The subways in Silent Hill 3/4 are pretty realistic.
This.... isn't, it's stylistically different.

To this point, they have only stolen stuff that they can screencap on a PC. Only DVDs and PC games... no console stuff at all. They didn't seem savvy enough to capture console output.

Benedict

It seems that Steve Bovis, is responding on the Gamesradar forum and somewhat threatening the music guy...

gravehill wrote:
There have been speculations that the game contains stolen music. Majestic Studios project leader Steve Bovis assured me this is not the case and I can 100% guarantee the material I was personally involved in. I have the original project files of every music piece I made for the game to prove this.
-----

Hi Marko. I am posting here to confirm this is not the case and to exclude you from any character assassinations which appear to be happening.

We might of used some freeware sound effects that some gamers will recognise, but Marko did contribute all his own music for this excellant game, which despite a few silly little issues that you all seem to be getting so worked up and excited about - I (and the team) are extremely proud of.
---

gravehill wrote:
I'll try to answer them but please bear in mind that a) I'm bound by NDA, and b) apart from music I have practically no information on the game creation process.
----

I advise you to keep the NDA in mind at all times Marko. I am currently in South America, but have advised my solicitor (lawyer) to keep watching.

edit: OMG even more hilarious:

tnman wrote:
SteveBovis wrote:
despite a few silly little issues that you all seem to be getting so worked up and excited about - I (and the team) are extremely proud of.

What is your comment on the similarities?

Well, some of the screenshots are pretty similar.

But let us look at it this way.....

You must all know the famous Big Ben clock in London.

How many people have taken photographs of their family members or friends standing in front of Big Ben?

Do they credit Charles Barry, the original designer of the strucutre for their photographs? No, of course they don't!

Now you mightm say a photograph is non-commerical use, but what about ITN news who use the image of Big Ben for their commerical news programming? Again, without credit.

All I was really doing was taking photographs of my journeys through virtual worlds - had I ripped out the textures and re-assembled the 3D models that of course would of been another issue.

I really don't want to say too much as my solicitor has advised me for now to be quiet. However, I know some gamers can get over-excitied about things and I thought it worth stating it for what it really is - no more harmless than a tourist taking photographs.

Xabora

9ldc0g.png

2njc2ew.png

zob3q.png

1628aqx.png

rarqtk.png

zwjmrk.png

Benedict said:
It seems that Steve Bovis, is responding on the Gamesradar forum and somewhat threatening the music guy...

gravehill wrote:
-----

Hi Marko. I am posting here to confirm this is not the case and to exclude you from any character assassinations which appear to be happening.

We might of used some freeware sound effects that some gamers will recognise, but Marko did contribute all his own music for this excellant game, which despite a few silly little issues that you all seem to be getting so worked up and excited about - I (and the team) are extremely proud of.
---

gravehill wrote:
I'll try to answer them but please bear in mind that a) I'm bound by NDA, and b) apart from music I have practically no information on the game creation process.
----

I advise you to keep the NDA in mind at all times Marko. I am currently in South America, but have advised my solicitor (lawyer) to keep watching.
Hmm... why would he be in South America?

Unison

:lol

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Weren't the people who "made" this game English? Why does every single line of text in these screenshots look like a rough translation from Russian or something?

I am really starting to suspect some sort of mental illness behind this game. Especially if this Bovis account is real and the guy actually does believe these issues are little and silly. But even if it's not.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
:lol It just gets better and better. I do feel sorry for that guy who did the music though.

Also my GAME order seems to be in Limbo so I'm not sure I'll get my hands on this reproduction of gaming history.

scarybore

But let us look at it this way.....

You must all know the famous Big Ben clock in London.

How many people have taken photographs of their family members or friends standing in front of Big Ben?

Do they credit Charles Barry, the original designer of the strucutre for their photographs? No, of course they don't!

Now you mightm say a photograph is non-commerical use, but what about ITN news who use the image of Big Ben for their commerical news programming? Again, without credit.

All I was really doing was taking photographs of my journeys through virtual worlds - had I ripped out the textures and re-assembled the 3D models that of course would of been another issue.

I really don't want to say too much as my solicitor has advised me for now to be quiet. However, I know some gamers can get over-excitied about things and I thought it worth stating it for what it really is - no more harmless than a tourist taking photographs.

If that's real, he really has no shame and I hope he gets sued to oblivion. Got to admit he has given me a lot of laughs though, this whole saga is amazingly hilarious from a gamer standpoint :lol

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Deathcraze said:
If that's real, he really has no shame and I hope he gets sued to oblivion. Got to admit he has given me a lot of laughs though, this whole saga is amazingly hilarious from a gamer standpoint :lol

He's posted a few more things over on Games Radar. I'm almost positive it's someone just pretending to be him.

One of the posters asked him to change his wintermute account location to South America to prove it's actually him (that's the forum for the free game engine that he's been posting on for 4 years) and he responded that he couldn't because he was "banned". Then he called everyone on the wintermute forums a bunch of unhelpful morons.

Pretty sure you can change your location even after you're banned.

I'm calling fake.

FoxSpirit

VibratingDonkey said:
If that is the actual guy he's a humongous douche.

Currently it's highly doubted and people are asking him to log into his . Actually: Bovis claims to be banned from the Wintermute forums. But... "Sigh. I so wanted to believe. He even got the "could of" right! But SBOVIS logged in successfully on the 16th, and nothing's happened in the last three days that would have gotten him suddenly banned. "

Also... "Everyone is making these allegations about me stealing things, when I could of paid for the rights to do this. OK, I didn't but you get the idea." from the would be Bovis. "
My story line was original- my game was original. Screw those talentless big corporations, screw them and their samey samey games."

Obvious joke account, he simply fends off all request to supply any kind of proof he is himself.

Mash

Shit just got real.

SteveBovis, if you are who you say you are, please reply to my email and I'll confirm your identity.

The music guy should be able to confirm it but "SteveBovis" suddenly went quiet on us.

Xabora

SB said:
Well we were based in Maidenhead.

Some you keen-eyed readers might of spotted the "were" in that last statement.

That's right, let this forum be the 1st official place where I give you the exclusive news that Majestic Studios is no more.

We are closed. Thanks for that people, thanks to your wild gossip and possible slander ruining my company that was only just starting to make some great waves in the field of professional software development.

The Shadow said:
I don't know what to say, Steve, have you made any money out of LotL?

THe money started to come in. Thankfully I had paid for my holiday from the first royalty payments - and if I can find some work here I might actually stay here. I think my coding skills and graphical knowledge could be some use here in South America.

I've no doubt it was your intention, but surely the small scale sales it has achieved haven't turned any profit? How were you planning to get publisher funding for a sequel?

Poor excuse for fleeing the country.

EDIT: Uploading the Prologue Batch of Screenshots to MU now.

Top Bottom