• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firmware 2.4 coming July 2nd - Features Videos now online

M3wThr33

Banned
Warren Ellis said:
the insiders can at least confirm that all (or almost) ps3 games support custom soundtracks ?
No. We'll see how many do, but it won't be all of them.

Same with In-Game XMB.

Not all games will support it.

Crisis

Banned
M3wThr33 said:

Same with In-Game XMB.

I understood it as all games support in-game XMB and not all games support soundtracks.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
M3wThr33 said:

Same with In-Game XMB.

I think it'll be the case that a game has to explicitly support game soundtracks for them to work (i.e. expect some patching after 2.4)..but that in-game xmb will work without any change on the part of the vast majority of games. So I wouldn't characterise them as the same situation.

In other words, don't expect in-game soundtracks to work automatically (expect that to be the exception), but expect in-game xmb to work automatically (with the caveat of there being the odd exception).

Rolf NB

WiCkEd_Co said:
Finally in game music, I hope they get it like the Xbox, I can play my game with my music set to random and if a song comes on I don't want to hear I just use the Xbox DVD remote to skip to the next song. No opening a menu. I do this allot on Call Of Duty because you really don't want to open up a menu while playing online.
Yes, yes, the SONY PLAYSTATION™ 3 computer entertainment system will of course fully support the Xbox 360™ Universal Media Remote™. Why wouldn't it.

Sean

Banned
supermackem said:
I dont think 360 offers ff at any time just skip song forward.

It does offer FF while watching videos, not sure about music.

bcn-ron said:
Yes, yes, the SONY PLAYSTATION™ 3 computer entertainment system will of course fully support the Xbox 360™ Universal Media Remote™. Why wouldn't it.

You do know there is an official Sony PS3 remote, right?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Crisis said:
I understood it as all games support in-game XMB and not all games support soundtracks.
At around the 5 minute mark, after he's talked about custom soundtracks and the google search, Eric says, "We're really happy to bring this to you, we know you've been patiently waiting for this. You'll have this very soon, you'll be able to use it. This supports the majority of games available for the PS3." It sorta sounds like he's talking about In Game XMB and is saying not all games will support it.

M3wThr33

Banned
Speevy said:
I don't even understand how a game could not support in-game XMB.

Is it simply the luck of the draw or what?

There's reasons behind it, but I don't know if I can say. Technical issues mainly. Sony has tested them all before hand, titles that don't support it will go to the typical black screen you already know and love. Soon it will be required support, however, in a few months.

Spasm

bcn-ron said:
Because there's no IR port on the PS3? Otherwise, you could just program the remote. But yeah, this would be nice with the official Bluetooth remote.

As righteous and just as the 2.40 update is, let's not pretend it's adding features MS charges you for. Sony isn't JUST NOW adding online play. It's been free for forever :D

One thing I'm confused about, and maybe it'll be in the next video... He says his buddy beat his PixelJunk score. Well, without booting into PixelJunk and checking, how does he know how bad he's been owned? I'm really hoping for a full-featured profile system available in-game.

Farnack

Banned
Killthee said:
At around the 5 minute mark, after he's talked about custom soundtracks and the google search, Eric says, "We're really happy to bring this to you, we know you've been patiently waiting for this. You'll have this very soon, you'll be able to use it. This supports the majority of games available for the PS3." It sorta sounds like he's talking about In Game XMB and is saying not all games will support it.
Allowing developers the control is always a good thing.

jonabbey

Over at happy stick, they have a bit more discussion of 2.4, saying that they saw it in action last week.

Seems the embargo is officially lifted at 8am EST, 7am Central, 5am Pacific, and we'll hear everyone's hands-on 2.4 reports then.

Killthee

jonabbey said:
Over at happy stick, they have a bit more discussion of 2.4, saying that they saw it in action last week.

Seems the embargo is officially lifted at 8am EST, 7am Central, 5am Pacific,
and we'll hear everyone's hands-on 2.4 reports then.
Second video will probably be released at that time. Fw to go live at midnight?

JB1981

custom soundtracks are still concept ?

and you gotta be shitting me that some games won't support in-game xmb ....

and no trophies in 2.4 LOL

but we get a google navigator!

jesus christ what are these guys doing?

M3wThr33

Banned
JB1981 said:
custom soundtracks are still concept lol

The main reason listed is a dumb technical issue that may be resolved in the future. But I don't believe very many games made use of it. I could be wrong. It's hard to tell until this comes out.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
JB1981 said:

They're introducing in-game xmb 18 months after launch, or whatever - chances are there's going to be some games that don't play nice. That was pretty much a given.

edit - ok, it seems like you're now wilfully being a drama queen :p Where did you get no trophies in 2.4?

Found this on PSU forums:

http://www.sony-playstation.cz/news.php?extend.2416

t1.jpg

Cant tell what games it is but it looks so awsome!

Killthee

JB1981 said:
custom soundtracks are still concept lol

Pay attention. The video was made 2 weeks ago before the fw was finalized, custom soundtracks is in it, but the version he showed might not be the one included in the release.

Most will though and it's going to be a requirement going forward.

Trophies are in 2.4 and they'll be shown in the second video.

AmMortal said:
:O WHAT!?
It sure sounds like it. Why else would they be rushing out this info if they weren't planning on releasing the firmware this week?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
M3wThr33 said:
There's reasons behind it, but I don't know if I can say. Technical issues mainly. Sony has tested them all before hand, titles that don't support it will go to the typical black screen you already know and love. Soon it will be required support, however, in a few months.

I suspect that games which do not yet support it will receive timely patches... I do think the situation will be normal in no more than a few weeks from now.

After that, future titles will receive guidelines from SCE (and a new TRC most likely) how not to run into trouble against in-game XMB.how to achieve compatibility with FW 2.4 features (compatibility with the in-game XMB will of course have higher priority than custom soundtracks support).

Farnack

Banned
JB1981 said:

I know what you're not doing.

Watching the video.

itxaka

Defeatist
user friendly said:
~ Send and receive massages while in-game
~ Launch different game while still in-game
~ Check downloads while in-game
~ View thumbnails of pictures
~ Activate/change BT headset while in-game
~ Date and time displayed after pressing PS button
~ Play music from HDD while in-game (supported games not yet known)
~ Google search bar

Ok, I want somebody to send me a massage please. My back hurts. ;-)

fanboi

Banned
JB1981 said:

(neutral) JB1981
I am full of shit.
Rich, smooth, creamy shit.

(Today, 08:33 AM)
Reply | Quote

I see a pattern

JB1981

Killthee said:
Pay attention. The video was made 2 weeks ago before the fw was finalized, custom soundtracks is in it, but the version he showed might not be the one included in the release.

Most will though and it's going to be a requirement going forward.

Trophies are in 2.4 and they'll be shown in the second video.

It sure sounds like it. Why else would they be rushing out this info if they weren't planning on releasing the firmware this week?
it's 4:40 am so i might have missed what the guy said but i could have sworn he said they will be discussing trophies in the second video but it won't actually be part of the 2.4 firmware .....

forgive me if this has already been addressed

...are we assuming "In-game XMB" will be accessible during playback of Blu-Rays or DVDs?

Killthee

AmMortal said:
Stardust HD?!
Doesn't look like it, but back when they released the solo pack they announced the multi pack. The free patch included with the multi pack will include an orchestra soundtrack and trophies.

AmMortal

Banned
AgentOtaku said:

...are we assuming "In-game XMB" will be accessible during playback of Blu-Rays or DVDs?

Well, I think that In-game messaging will be.

Like XBL.

JB1981

he actually does say what i just said

"Our next feature (trophies) which should be coming out very soon ... it ... it's not the next FW update .. it's actually our next video ..."

so i'm not crazy. listen to the very end again, guys. trophies will not be in fw 2.4

jonabbey

AgentOtaku said:

I think we'll hear in about 3 hours + change.

Top Bottom