• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia preview (with screens and vids)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
http://ds.ign.com/articles/888/888646p1.html

Between the glyph system's reliance on magic, the "out of the castle" feel of the game, and the all new enemies, this is the first time since Symphony of the Night that a free-roaming version of the game hasn't felt like a direct clone of Symphony of the Night. Finally, something fresh, yet still true to the series.

castlevania-order-of-ecclesia-20080711055556579_640w.jpg
castlevania-order-of-ecclesia-20080711055557189_640w.jpg
castlevania-order-of-ecclesia-20080711055557626.jpg
castlevania-order-of-ecclesia-20080711055558142.jpg

castlevania-order-of-ecclesia-20080711055558595.jpg
castlevania-order-of-ecclesia-20080711055559111.jpg
castlevania-order-of-ecclesia-20080711055559579.jpg
castlevania-order-of-ecclesia-20080711055600126.jpg

castlevania-order-of-ecclesia-20080711055600564.jpg
castlevania-order-of-ecclesia-20080711055603126.jpg
castlevania-order-of-ecclesia-20080711055601017.jpg
castlevania-order-of-ecclesia-20080711055601501.jpg

castlevania-order-of-ecclesia-20080711055602111.jpg
castlevania-order-of-ecclesia-20080711055602626.jpg
castlevania-order-of-ecclesia-20080711055603595.jpg
castlevania-order-of-ecclesia-20080711055604064.jpg

Whole bunch of videos

Haunted

Thanks, Dascu!

Between the glyph system's reliance on magic, the "out of the castle" feel of the game, and the all new enemies, this is the first time since Symphony of the Night that a free-roaming version of the game hasn't felt like a direct clone of Symphony of the Night. Finally, something fresh, yet still true to the series.
I wanted to rejoice, but then I saw that they reused the medusa and skeleton/skeleton archer sprites... again.

Typical hyperbole shit preview. BUT at least we get new pics - and they look good. I play Castlevania mainly for the boss sprites. So good. :)

SantaC

wowowowowow looks amazing! It actually looks like it could exceed SotN. The graphics is probably the best since SotN also.

castlevania-order-of-ecclesia-20080711055556579_640w.jpg

great looking shot

Also, PoR never felt outside the castle despite the outside areas.

Haunted One said:
I wanted to rejoice, but then I saw that they reused the medusa and skeleton/skeleton archer sprites... again.
I think they were simply saying that there were all-new sprites, enough of them to make the game feel fresh, not that all the sprites were new.

I mean, jeez, we KNOW there are going to be reused sprites. We've always known that.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Haunted One said:
Thanks, Dascu!

Typical hyperbole shit preview. BUT at least we get new pics - and they look good. I play Castlevania mainly for the boss sprites. So good. :)
the bats too.

to be fair, there are more new enemy sprites in those screens than the entirety of PoR.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Error said:
the bats too.

to be fair, there are more new enemy sprites in those screens than the entirety of PoR.

Still, I'd kill to have 40-50% the enemies be brand new. Also, I really want a Nest of Evil variant, but bigger.

Dascu

Gig said:
Still, I'd kill to have 40-50% the enemies be brand new. Also, I really want a Nest of Evil variant, but bigger.
As long as they keep the same graphical style, it would be tricky to make new sprites.

Take the bats, medusa heads or skeletons for example. These sprites always get re-used. It would be kind of difficult to make a new sprite for them though. There aren't exactly a dozen ways to draw bats or skeletons, at least not if you use the same style as the previous sprites.

M3d10n

It's the same resolution as the past versions and the in-game art-style is the same. What reason would they have to draw new sprites for old enemies?

DoS had a fair load of new and some redrawn sprites (most, if not all, of the GBA-only monsters were redrawn and reanimated to fit the slightly larger resolution), but many people failed to notice it because they were mostly the same monsters as before (and after seeing the SotN reused sprites).

Is this game more like a conventional castlevania like PoR(closest thing to it), or more like another metroidvania? Just curious...as I havent really watched any videos for fear of spoilers(gameplay ones).

Dascu

abstract alien said:
Is this game more like a conventional castlevania like PoR(closest thing to it), or more like another metroidvania? Just curious...as I havent really watched any videos for fear of spoilers(gameplay ones).
It takes PoR's portrait level design even further. You don't even have a "hub castle" anymore, but you have a map to select which level to play.

Gig

Dascu said:
As long as they keep the same graphical style, it would be tricky to make new sprites.

Take the bats, medusa heads or skeletons for example. These sprites always get re-used. It would be kind of difficult to make a new sprite for them though. There aren't exactly a dozen ways to draw bats or skeletons, at least not if you use the same style as the previous sprites.

I'm not talking about new sprites for old enemies, I'm talking about new enemies that have never before appeared in a Castlevania game, of course that won't ever going to happen. :(

Dascu

Gig said:
I'm not talking about new sprites for old enemies, I'm talking about new enemies that have never before appeared in a Castlevania game, of course that won't ever going to happen. :(
There's already a large portion of new enemy designs in these screenshots and in the videos.

Thematically it's easily the coolest looking Castlevania on DS. Here's hoping the gameplay delivers as much as the visuals. So far the more I see of the game the more I like it.

duckroll

I want to say something good, but then I'm reminded that this is another Igavania and negativity fills my mind again. :/

Gig

Dascu said:
There's already a large portion of new enemy designs in these screenshots and in the videos.

I ain't getting my hopes up that there will be craploads of new enemies.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Those screens sure look fresher than most of PoR not that I hadn't had fun with it. Let's have hope!

Ranger X

Anasui Kishibe said:
can't flipping wait. POR was fuckawesome, I just can't get enough of Metroidvanias

Man, i don't know what's with me and this series. Every single new one coming out i'm all over them. Can't get enough.

sennin

The green ninja skeleton and crows are back! :lol

From the selective shots of the game, the boss fights are looking great. I especially like the large, flying blue bird. However, if the normal enemies are going to be reused sprites, this sure as hell isn't day one - unless the pre-order bonus is a sealed copy of PS One SoTN. >_> I'd be picking it up when the price drops to $15 or so.

Ranger X

GAF really is tiresome with the sprites. Aren't you happy to see you good old ennemis return? It's a "if it ain't broke why fix it" question here. Why redo a working and beautifull sprite that works fine 3 times on the same damn console??
Also, there's always new ennemis and you still find the games super fun. It's like GAF is really looking into something to whine about. If you buy the game for new sprites before anything else you better damn revise your priorities and of course you won't buy this thing full price at launch! Who would pay 40$ for new sprites?

KevinCow

Banned
We finally get to explore areas other than Dracula's Castle?! Hooray!

This could be the Aria of Sorrow of the DS games.

Ranger X said:
Man, i don't know what's with me and this series. Every single new one coming out i'm all over them. Can't get enough.

same goes with me. In my best days I can at least make a valid criticism in my head, i.e. "repetitive enemies, hope they change it" or "hm formula's growing thin.." but when a new MV comes out I play the game and enjoy the hell out of it. CURSED GAMES!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Error said:
hyperbole ahoy. the only new sprite for an old enemy i've seen so far in OoE footage is not in these shots.

KevinCow said:
We finally get to explore areas other than Dracula's Castle?! Hooray!
PoR?

Ranger X said:
Yeah me too. Replaying AoS now even though I totally completed it before. If there was an abonnement for Metroidvanias, I would have it.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
The game looks great, but that boss looked really easy though, I guess it's just the first boss.

blu said:
Other locations that aren't located inside the castle?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
jj984jj said:
Other locations that aren't located inside the castle?
PoR?

i mean, really, hasn't anybody here played this game?

SantaC

Gig said:
I ain't getting my hopes up that there will be craploads of new enemies.

gee stop complaining, the game will be awesome though. Better than 95% stuff on the DS.

sennin

Ranger X said:
GAF really is tiresome with the sprites. Aren't you happy to see you good old ennemis return? It's a "if it ain't broke why fix it" question here. Why redo a working and beautifull sprite that works fine 3 times on the same damn console??
Also, there's always new ennemis and you still find the games super fun. It's like GAF is really looking into something to whine about. If you buy the game for new sprites before anything else you better damn revise your priorities and of course you won't buy this thing full price at launch! Who would pay 40$ for new sprites?

I don't know which model of society you come from, but in today's world, capitalism is ruling. It means hard work in exchange for money. Reused sprites are NOT hard work. Why should I vote with my $ to send the message that laziness is an industrial good? I'm doing an injustice to artists who value creativity, are willing to take risks and expand horizons. So excuse me if my opinion somehow contradicts yours, as I'm unapologetic about rewarding creativity AND hard work, while keeping my dollars away from lazy designs.

Sciz

I'd probably complain about the sprites too, if it weren't for the fact that Castlevania games have a huge assortment of enemies compared to every other 2D action title. With the budget these games are probably produced on, it seems a bit unreasonable to expect them to maintain the size of the monster roster while having to redraw every single returning creature in it every game.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Maybe some 8 bit sprites are in order to appease the mighty GAF. :D

I kid cuz I love. I'll try to play this.

Llyranor

Day1.

Interesting how every attack now uses the magic meter. So, actually in quick, short bursts, then retreating to regenerate. The pacing will be different.

I think it looks great. Combat also seems like it is going to be different now with some kind of a stamina bar that recharges after a series of attacks.

And who does the art for the game? It doesn't look like Kojima this time around, but it is really good.

This is also probably the first new Castlevania I have really looked forward to since Aria of Sorrow (not to say that DoS or PoR were bad or anything).

Ranger X

sennin said:
I don't know which model of society you come from, but in today's world, capitalism is ruling. It means hard work in exchange for money. Reused sprites are NOT hard work. Why should I vote with my $ to send the message that laziness is an industrial good? I'm doing an injustice to artists who value creativity, are willing to take risks and expand horizons. So excuse me if my opinion somehow contradicts yours, as I'm unapologetic about rewarding creativity AND hard work, while keeping my dollars away from lazy designs.

Well, i understand capitalism but it's not hard work that make me pay but GOOD work. I will not buy a boring movie because they worked hard on the fucking special effects. I will not buy a boring game because they've gone out of their way to make awesome high-res 2D sprites. I buy things because they are GOOD, because they entertain me. In gaming it's the gameplay that matters first. Ok it would be cool to not have re-used sprites but if i'm to play a nice Castlevania will new levels, new soundtrack, new everything and cool gameplay + nice level design, i will not care about the re-used sprites much.
If you're only looking for innovation and games that takes risks, you shouldn't be here wanting this game. Remember that innovation does not means "better" and that hard work doesn't mean a fun final product wich is what truly matters.

Dinosaurs!

They should make a Castlevania game that takes place in prehistoric time. It would tell the tale of how the Belmonts came to be. They'll fighting zombie saber tooth tigers and Dracula riding a T.rex.

Cow Mengde said:

Dinosaurs!

They should make a Castlevania game that takes place in prehistoric time. It would tell the tale of how the Belmonts came to be. They'll fighting zombie saber tooth tigers and Dracula riding a T.rex.

This story sounds less ridiculous than the one in LoI.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Cow Mengde said:
Dracula riding a T.rex.

As soon as you said that, the image of Megaman riding the Dragon from Wiley Stage 1 - MM2 popped into my head.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Thats why i loved Super Castlevania 4. It was all about showing the path that Belmont took through his journey in the caves/wilderness leading up into finally entering Dracula's castle. That was so awesome.

Top Bottom