• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MLB Power Pros 2008 Thread of Big Heads, Dating, and Marvin

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
In the middle of the madness that is E3 week, we're only 2 weeks away from Power Pros 2008!

2008.jpg

Note that there's a price drop for the PS2 version, it'll only be $20! You have no excuse not to pick up this game! Also note that the DS version won't be released until later this Fall, hence why I'm excluding it for the purposes of this thread.

OP will be updated as more info becomes available or if corrections are needed.

General Information
Title: MLB Power Pros 2008
Publisher: 2K Sports
Developer: Pawapuro Productions (Konami)
Genre: Sports
Number of Players: 1-2
Release Date July 29, 2008 (US)
MSRP: $19.99 PS2, $39.99 Wii (US)
Console: Playstation 2, Nintendo Wii
Official site: 2K Sports (US)

Last year's MLB Power Pros title was the first release of Japan's number one baseball series in the US, with 2K Sports handling the publishing for Konami's game. Despite the franchise's trademark graphical style with chibi player models, the title earned strong reviews and universal acclaim for its deep gameplay and unique game modes. There were some issues of course, and fans were wondering if we'd see another title come over that would hopefully address them. With the new game nearly here, we'll get to find out if Konami has tweaked the gameplay enough to improve on them or if they went the lol-roster-update-lol route that has plagued so many sports titles in the past.

1215787242-media.jpg

Game Features

For this thread, I'll be focusing on what's new in this iteration of Power Pros. For more basic info, check out the thread for last year's game. All the modes from last year should be returning, including the Remote Mode for the Wii version.

Sim Gameplay
Here's a quick list of what's new in the game engine:

- Batter zones: each player now has different hot and cold zones over the plate
- Bullpen: Pitchers need to be warmed up before putting them into a game
- More defense adjustments: More options for shifting players in the field
- 40 man rosters: Get more flexibility with dealing with injured players and your minor league players
- Game options: More UI elements can be hidden away now, adjust the overall pitch speed (i.e. speed it up to make the game more of a challenge or vice-versa)

This section will expand as more info comes in.

1215787176-media.jpg

Success Mode
Success Mode returns with a brand new storyline, some game tweaks, and everyone's favorite sidekick Marvin.

mlb-power-pros-2008-200805130000304.jpg

Previews so far indicate this year's installment will be a more refined and robust experience. You'll still be creating a character trying to land in the big leagues, and the new game will have a new story, city, team, and cast of characters (aside from the ever-present Marvin). The mode will still be RPG heavy with some bits of baseball gameplay, so if you enjoyed the challenge of managing work, classes, relationships, and training as you try to improve your player stats for the moments of situational gameplay, you'll get more of it.

mlb-power-pros-2008-200805130000313.jpg

Some previews state the "rest" option is going away, but there's still a vitality bar to manage, so I'm assuming visiting certain town locations will help restore vitality instead. Also, the fourth week of every month provide "Super Boost Days," which will double or even triple your workout if done well. You'll still be earning experience points from training, and when you earn enough you can spend those to improve various stats or buy various abilities.

mlb-power-pros-2008-200805130000326.jpg

Successfully completing this mode allows you to import your created character to the big leagues in the other game modes. Most notably, the brand new mode being introduced this year...

MLB Life Mode

mlb-power-pros-2008-200805131159173.jpg

A favorite of many Pawapuro vets known as "My Life" mode in the Japanese games, MLB Life makes its debut in the US series. You take a player (either an existing MLB player, created from scratch, or a completed Success Mode player) and play through a 20 year career. Similar to Success Mode, this is a bit of a RPG hybrid, but with a lot more baseball gameplay involved. During games, you only control your player. So only when he's at-bat or on the mound do you have any control. Past Pawapuro games never let you control defense, I'm unsure if this applies to this game as well. Note that a lot of what I'm writing for this section is based on personal experience with previous Japanese games, so what we end up getting may be slightly different.

mlb-power-pros-2008-200805130000520.jpg

When starting out, you're probably going to be on the bench for a while, so there may be a couple games where you don't play at all. But as you earn playing time and do well (maybe filling in for an injury), you may work yourself into the starting lineup or starting rotation/bullpen rotation. As you consistently do better with regular playing time, your popularity will rise earning you more fans. This means you get more interviews with the media, and more opportunities for commericals and the like. The game tracks your player's stats as you progress. After several seasons, it's fun to look back and see how your player has done over the years, along with the various awards he's earned. You'll also see little cutscenes when your player hits certain stat milestones or breaks various records (the Japanese game kept both team and league records).

mlb-power-pros-2008-200805130000457.jpg

mlb-power-pros-2008-200805131159189.jpg

mlb-power-pros-2008-200805130000448.jpg

In-between games you have a bunch of options. You can select your training routine, choose to buy a bunch various things that may affect your stats, purchase a home or car, and select options for various random events that occur (do you go out to the bar with your teammates after a game?). You may even run into various girls and choose to pursue a relationship. If things play out right, you could get married and have kids at various points as you play through your career. As a nice touch, if you have a game scheduled on one of your kids birthdays, you get a condition boost to maximum.

mlb-power-pros-2008-200805131159027.jpg

mlb-power-pros-2008-200805131159017.jpg

mlb-power-pros-2008-200805131159045.jpg

There are also plenty of events that occur depending on the date. From the offseason (contract negotiations, free agency, spring training) to the regular season to the postseason, there's plenty available to keep you interested. Also note that you're only controlling your own player, so you can't control how your team is doing on the field or in the front office. So if you're stuck on a cellar dwellar and your team isn't improving, you'll be looking forward to free agency. On the other hand, you might get traded away to another team out of the blue.

mlb-power-pros-2008-200805130000509.jpg

mlb-power-pros-2008-200805130000499.jpg

mlb-power-pros-2008-200805131159160.jpg

For a detailed writeup of this mode and one of my previous characters I made in this mode in an earlier game, check this thread over on Operation Sports.

Concerns
Here are the most common concerns people had with the previous game that many are hoping get addressed this year:

- Inaccurate player stats and batting lineups:
While roster inaccuracy last year was mainly due to using Opening Day rosters for a game released in October, that won't be too bad as the game is coming out earlier. Plenty of player stats had to be adjusted though. Since we'll likely still have this edit ability, it's not as big a deal. The main issue is roster fixing - this had to be done in Arrange Mode last year, but Arrange Mode had to be unlocked in the shop. Hopefully won't be the case this year.

- In-game commentary:
Some people hated it last year. Others found it amusing, but acknowledged its awfulness. Expect more of the same this year.

- Walk frequency:
It was very difficult to get a realistic number of walks. Hopefully this was something Konami could easily address through some minor tweaks.

- Season Mode simming and stats:
Simming through a season ended with some unrealistic stat totals. This needs to be addressed particularly for MLB Life mode so we all can do some reasonable comparisons to historical numbers.

- Cross-platform compatibility for created players:
In last year's game, successfully created players gave you a password that could be given to other players so they can have your player on their system. However, passwords from created players weren't cross-platform compatible - PS2 players couldn't use codes from Wii players and vice-versa. There's no reason for this to happen and ideally Konami's addressed this issue.

Previews/Impressions
IGN Initial Preview
IGN Hands-on Preview (Wii)
Gamespot Hands-on Preview (Wii)

Reviews
IGN - 8.4/10 (Wii).
If you’re new to the series, buy this one without question. If you’re a returning fan, weigh how much you want the next chapter of Success Mode, and the new MLB Life experience. If you’re still pushing through dozens and dozens of hours on last year’s game – we understand, since we are too – this one doesn’t offer much that you don’t already have in your collection now.

GameRankings - Wii
GameRankings - PS2

Videos
Official US trailer

Wii:
Intro Cinematic
Gameplay footage, NYY vs Bos
Home Run Derby
Gameplay footage, LAD vs LAA 1
Gameplay footage (injury), LAD vs LAA 2

PS2:
Gameplay footage, CHC vs CHW
Shop footage
Success Mode footage
Home Run Derby
Gameplay footage, All-Star game
Gameplay footage, OAK vs SF

Videos from previous Pawapuro games:

MLB Power Pros 2007
Clip showing some training and character interaction in Success Mode.
Short gameplay clip of Cardinals vs Cubs, shows 2 at-bats.
Short clip of the beginning of a game with the Giants vs A's, shows 1 at-bat.
Japanese Wii Gameplay vid 1, off-screen capture from TGS
Japanese Wii Gameplay vid 2, off-screen capture from TGS

Previous Japanese Pawapuro titles
Pawapuro 13 clip showing some pitcher/batter matchups.
Pawapuro 11 clip showing some more pitcher/batter matchups
Pawapuro chant creator/editor (unlikely to be in the MLB games)
Pawapuro clip showing two created teams playing each other in Watch Mode (CPU vs CPU). You can hear various custom created chants in this clip (i.e. Popeye, SMB underground theme)
Pawapuro OP montage created from the OPs of Pawapuro 8 - 13 (uses Pawapuro 10 OP music)
Pawapuro 13 OP sequence
Pawapuro 11 OP sequence
Pawapuro 10 OP sequence
Pawapuro 9 OP sequence

XiaNaphryz

For some reason the Wii version is listed on Amazon as "Out of Stock" but it still has "Add to Shopping Cart" as the purchase button. Meanwhile the PS2 version on Amazon is properly set to "Pre-order" instead.

XiaNaphryz

Added a few screenshots as well as a bullet point for 40 man rosters in the New Features section.

So any indication that the Wii version is actually worth the 20 dollars extra? It would be nice to have something new to play on it, but if the remote is still only used for HRD, doesn't seem worth it.

Nevertheless I'll almost certainly jump in on the title this year as I skipped out last year. Haven't owned a new "serious" sports game in years.

EDIT: For anyone else curious:
Bozon said:
The Wii version specifically hasn't changed much from last year, which was basically a PS2 port with a new Wii Remote mode. That mode again exists, allowing for motion swinging and pitching, Mii integration for "Mii vs. Power Pro" games and the like, and a simple "shake to encourage" system for base running and fielding, having the computer execute better the faster you shake the remote. It's simple, and still the only mode where the Wii's hardware is used in a different way from PS2. PS2 owners can buy MLB Power Pros 2008 knowing that they aren't missing much this year, but at the same time Wii owners will have to accept the game's traditional feel if they're going to drop top dollar for it. Wii usage is still at a minimum.
Hmm, sounds like there's not much there to make the Wii version 20 dollars better.

XiaNaphryz

EphemeralDream said:
So any indication that the Wii version is actually worth the 20 dollars extra? It would be nice to have something new to play on it, but if the remote is still only used for HRD, doesn't seem worth it.

Nevertheless I'll almost certainly jump in on the title this year as I skipped out last year. Haven't owned a new "serious" sports game in years.

EDIT: For anyone else curious:

Hmm, sounds like there's not much there to make the Wii version 20 dollars better.
Until they bring over any online functionality for the Wii version, all we'll really get is the waggle mode.

Also note that in last year's game, passwords from created players weren't cross-platform compatible - PS2 players couldn't use codes from Wii players and vice-versa. Which sucks and I hope it's another thing addressed.

XiaNaphryz

AstroLad said:
Konami's milked this engine since 2000 now, and it's been on the Gamecube since 2002. I have no idea why they didn't put in 16:9 and 480p support at some point since then, other than laziness.

XiaNaphryz

Fatalah said:
I just want the DS version to be as good as the console version.
The gameplay will likely be as good, but if its really missing game modes it'll be hard for it to match the console versions (no season, success, or MLB life modes). The DS version will have wireless play, but no word on wi-fi (unlikely I'd think).

XiaNaphryz

Just noticed IGN had a bunch of video clips posted for the game a couple weeks ago, added the links to the OP.

eznark

Banned
I bought this game last year and loved it, despite the terrible player attributes, but this year I think I'm going to wait until the DS version comes out. It seems perfectly suited to the platform, whereas I love the realistic and online nature of MLB08 for a console experience.

XiaNaphryz

eznark said:
I bought this game last year and loved it, despite the terrible player attributes, but this year I think I'm going to wait until the DS version comes out. It seems perfectly suited to the platform, whereas I love the realistic and online nature of MLB08 for a console experience.
If you're fine with a stripped down game on the DS (no season/GM mode or any of the RPG modes) and just plan on playing exhibition games, sure. Otherwise, I'd just pick up the PS2 version of 2008. At the $20 price point, it's worth it just to check out MLB Life mode.

eznark

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
If you're fine with a stripped down game on the DS (no season/GM mode or any of the RPG modes) and just plan on playing exhibition games, sure. Otherwise, I'd just pick up the PS2 version of 2008. At the $20 price point, it's worth it just to check out MLB Life mode.

aw shit, not even a career mode? Damn that sucks. Maybe I'll pick it up for the Wii after all...

I had played the previous one quite a bit but never owned it. Now it's time to jump in a week or whatever when it comes out. Oh, and PS2 all the way. Gotta save me some cash.

XiaNaphryz

eznark said:
aw shit, not even a career mode? Damn that sucks. Maybe I'll pick it up for the Wii after all...
Yeah, if you go to 2K's website for the game the feature list for the DS version is missing those modes.

Awesome. Been playing last year's the last couple of months, picking it up after seeing it was down to $20 on Wii. Was disappointed when Success mode ended, cuz I expected it to be what this new mode looks like; yet I was still excited to see my guy signed by the White Sox when I imported him into my season.

My experiences with the bigger baseball sims have been middling, not having enjoyed anything immensely since Ken Griffey for SNES. If Power Pros can get everything it does right even better, though, and fix the mistakes... Sweet/

Forkball

I hope they fix fatigue. In last year's version, you're players got fatigued quickly and there was really no way to lower it. I would also like to see career stats, alternate uniforms in season mode, and an easier way to edit rosters than arrange mode. My PS2 is on the fritz so I will unfortunately be paying an extra $20 for the Wii version, but the Wiimote home run derby mode might be fun with friends.

PlayStation: The Official Mag gave this a 2.5/5 (which is about what I'd rate last year's game, don't kill me), but I'll still give it a rent for MLB Life mode.

XiaNaphryz

And Nintendo Power gave it a 7/10.

The PS mag gave last year's version a 3.5/5, and NP gave last year's a 6.5/10.

I'm not too worried really, as I know what I'm getting with this year's iteration. Unless they really tweaked with the game engine in a bad way, I'd be fine with status quo as I'm finally getting a My Life mode in English. :D

Baker

Banned
I swear I read the whole OP, but I have a dumb question:

Can you only be the pitcher in the RPG mode or whatever?

XiaNaphryz

Baker said:
I swear I read the whole OP, but I have a dumb question:

Can you only be the pitcher in the RPG mode or whatever?
You can be whatever position you like.

XiaNaphryz

IGN review is up, they gave it a 8.4.

If you’re new to the series, buy this one without question. If you’re a returning fan, weigh how much you want the next chapter of Success Mode, and the new MLB Life experience. If you’re still pushing through dozens and dozens of hours on last year’s game – we understand, since we are too – this one doesn’t offer much that you don’t already have in your collection now.

XiaNaphryz

Some people have been picking up copies at Gamestop, but for some reason Best Buy's release date is 8/4? What the hell?

Forkball

None of the Gamestops around me have it. They said they might get it later today, but I'll probably just wait until tomorrow.

XiaNaphryz

Just picked mine up at Gamestop. Also been reading reports that some Gamestops only have the Wii version in for some reason, with PS2 coming in tomorrow.

Won't be able to give it a try until later tonight after work though.

XiaNaphryz

Adam Blade said:
No love for the DS version?

This is probably my most wanted DS game this year.
DS version's due out in the Fall, with what looks like less features. :(

XiaNaphryz

GameFAQs says August 25.

Some Success Mode impressions from the Power Pros Wiki forums:

Well, it took about 2 hours to get my first player done. He's not amazing, but not shabby.

Success mode is A LOT different than the previous year. Night and Day. Here is what is good and bad. I'm not including anything that would spoil the game.

The good:

- You get to see EVERYTHING. Instead of just saying 'becky likes you more', it will say 'Becky Likes you more, +4' or whatever. When you get any stat increases, even after games, it tells you exactly how many points you earn for everything.
- More focus on playing in games/etc. You don't sit on the bench for long (at least I didn't).
- Focus is on building players more than extra activities if you want.
- I like the meter for daily activities. Sometimes you can do 2-3 things in 1 day instead of always 1 action.

The Bad:
- As far as I can tell, no more bookworm, money man, etc. At least not that I found the 1st time through.
- Balance seems well done - I think they tried to keep you from reloading/etc. You can still do it, but it looks like it will take FOREVER to do something like this.
- Things are a little vague. They give you hints, but since it's new - we don't know what everything does yet! (this can be good or bad!). I didn't spend much free time doing anything because I was afraid of not getting stat increases.

I'm off to try MLB life mode with my new character - more thoughts later!

Forkball

Things I'd like to know from people who have the game:

Can you use alternate uniforms in Season mode?

Can you view season by season stats in Season mode?

Any noticeable changes to the gameplay i.e. improved base running etc.?

What are some of the new things you can tweak in the gameplay options?

XiaNaphryz

Neat My Life tidbits from the manual:

- A year is broken up into the following phases: Spring Training workouts, Exhibition games, Regular Season, Playoffs, Contract renewal/Free agency negotiations, Off-season.

- There's both Vitality and Fatigue to keep track of. When Vitality gets low (drops from performing various actions, from playing in games, practicing, traveling, etc), Fatigue will start to build up. Injuries are more likely to occur as Fatigue goes up, and it will be harder to improve Condition. Fatigue cannot be simply restored by resting for a day - I'm assuming it's either more of a gradual reduction over time or through item use.

- You can fast-forward through the schedule, though certain events can't be bypassed.

- Players with a large number of Fans will be less likely to be traded or released, and will see more frequent helpful events such as equipment sponsorship or TV conmmercials.

- You do have to pay taxes, so keep in mind a pretty good chunk of your salary will have to go to taxes when negotiating contracts. When paying taxes you always go by your previous year's salary.

- This is more of a general thing than a My Life specific one, but the game keeps track of All-Time Team Records as well as All-Time Season and Career Records. So you can shoot for becoming the Kansas City Royals all-time RBI leader if you really want to.

- You can end My Life through any of the following: you hit your 20th year in your career, you reach the age of 60, or you decide to retire on your own.

FFSabin

Lessons I learned from playing My Life mode on PSP (power pro kun 3 portable)

Wear sunglasses or the fans will go all over you when your traveling and your vitality will drop like half

Talk with alot of people, you never know when you will find something new and useful

My player can score 69 on a golf course :lol

XiaNaphryz

More info from the OS forums:

Yes! It appears that the CPU difficulty settings can be changed once a season is started. While they cannot be changed from the pregame lineup screen, they can be changed from the main season menu by going to System>Options.

This is a big one for me, as I hated the game getting too easy in the middle of a season as I improved and not being able to increase the CPU difficulty without having to start over.

Also to the folks that were asking, you can use arrange teams in season mode without having to unlock anything. I just tested and confirmed.

And now, some bad news:

bullpen.png

WTF, why is Bullpen functionality only in Exhibition Mode? Hope it's just a manual print error, don't know if it's confirmed yet or not.

tim1138

Picked up my copy yesterday, the GameStop clerk didn't even know what the game was. :lol
I wish the rosters were a bit more up to date, for the Reds at least, it looks to be using the Opening Day roster as Bruce and Bailey are no where to be seen, Hairston Jr is still in AAA (so is Bako for some reason) and Hatteburg is still on the roster.
I dove into MLB Life mode to make Jay Bruce, started out the year in AAA and tore it up, was called up in mid-April, went 1/5 (all pinch hitting) got sent back down, continued to destroy AAA, got called back up, went 1-6 (pinch hitting again) and have been sent back down to AAA. The game seems to have modeled Dusty Baker's management style spot on, Corey Patterson is starting every game in CF. :lol

XiaNaphryz

tim1138 said:
Picked up my copy yesterday, the GameStop clerk didn't even know what the game was. :lol
I wish the rosters were a bit more up to date, for the Reds at least, it looks to be using the Opening Day roster as Bruce and Bailey are no where to be seen, Hairston Jr is still in AAA (so is Bako for some reason) and Hatteburg is still on the roster.
I dove into MLB Life mode to make Jay Bruce, started out the year in AAA and tore it up, was called up in mid-April, went 1/5 (all pinch hitting) got sent back down, continued to destroy AAA, got called back up, went 1-6 (pinch hitting again) and have been sent back down to AAA. The game seems to have modeled Dusty Baker's management style spot on, Corey Patterson is starting every game in CF. :lol
Sounds awesome. I was going to break into this last night but got too caught up in SC4. I'll probably start off with a starting pitcher again for MLB Life.

tim1138

Dash Kappei said:
Two questions:

Wii version is 4:3?
Are the motion controls still limited to only "training"?

It displays on my TV in 720x480 with small black bars on either side of the screen.
I'm pretty sure you can use motion controls in Home Run Derby like last year, but I dunno outside of that, I use the classic controller.

XiaNaphryz said:
Sounds awesome. I was going to break into this last night but got too caught up in SC4. I'll probably start off with a starting pitcher again for MLB Life.

It's a blast, my only complaint so far is the rosters, especially since theres no way to download updated ones.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
tim1138 said:
I'm pretty sure you can use motion controls in Home Run Derby like last year, but I dunno outside of that

Can anybody check this?
I'd like to play this with my friends but no way they're gonna get involved if they can't use motion controls :/

tim1138

Dash Kappei said:
Can anybody check this?
I'd like to play this with my friends but no way they're gonna get involved if they can't use motion controls :/

If no one else does, I'll check when I get home from work in a few hours.

Top Bottom