• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How badly do we want a Zelda II sequel?

beril

Extremely badly. Too bad Miyamoto doesn't seem to agree.

New Zelda II for 3DS. Nintendo pls.

Give it to Koizumi

Koizumi: It was true of Shimizu-san as well, but I really liked Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.

Osawa: So much that you wanted to make it yourself?

Koizumi: Yeah. You might say that, but before Super Mario 64, I had actually been making Zelda II: The Adventure of Link in polygons with Miyamoto-san.

Iwata: Before Super Mario 64… You mean for the Super Famicom System?

Koizumi: Yes. We were experimenting with a thin, polygon Link seen from the side and fighting with his sword. Chanbara was a pending issue at the time. We couldn't really bring Zelda II: The Adventure of Link into form at that time, but I kept that desire to achieve a sword-fighting Zelda game until I joined this team.

Can I vote: "Not at all" without it being threadshitting?

It is, by a very wide margin, my least favorite not cd-i Zelda. I dislike almost every single aspect of the game.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
From what I've heard of the Souls games that comparison is apt.

Zelda II had brutally difficult combat (Huggers is insane or a gaming god if he thinks it "wasn't that hard") that was still fair, aside from the aforementioned platforming bits where cheap monster placement cost you your life.

It didn't explain a single thing to you. Don't know how to use magic? Tough. Didn't know you had to search under the table in that completely unrelated house for that lady's missing mirror? Sucks for you. Missed a magic container somewhere in this absurdly vast overworld and now you can't cast Thunder and get into the final dungeon? Guess you're screwed then!

I love to hate Zelda 2 and I think a sequel could be super cool. I was actually a tiny bit disappointed by how un-Zelda II like Shovel Knight was.

I agree with the comparisons with Dark Souls. Its fair, but challenging games.

Anyways, about using magic - it says so in the manual. For searching under the table, are you really sure there are no hints? If so, I am conceding that one. Did you really need all magic containers to cast Thunder if you fully leveled up magic? It might be true, but I just never had a problem with it (probably since I know where all the containers are).

BigDug13

Someone recently described that game as a side-scrolling Souls game. And it's kinda right. You really have to watch enemy patterns and through trial and error, become more skilled at taking them out and getting through the dungeons.

JayTapp

If you're looking for some Zelda II goodness you could do worse than trying the NES classic Battle of Olympus. May just be the rose tinted glasses but I preferred it to Zelda II having played both when I was a kid

s8WSNaT.jpg

That game is A M A Z I N G !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel like i was the only one who played it. I replayed it on an emulator and it was still good.

KirbyKid

tumblr_lo2zqb6h5P1qzsyre.gif

(PS. I agree if it's not clear)

Replace the word "sequel" with "remake" and I agree with you.

However, a sequel can fix old problems, breathe new life, and otherwise just be cool in its own way. Don't diss sequels. Because with Nintendo games, sometimes "sequels" are just about what name to put on the box.

.Anema

I can't believe some people actually wants a sequel for that "thing"... It's not a good idea btw, Zelda II is not really popular and it's not a good game, c`mon.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being highest), my desire for this game is at about a 1.5. I'd much rather have a Majora's Mask remake, a sequel to ALBW, or a brand new top-down.

I agree with the comparisons with Dark Souls. Its fair, but challenging games.

Anyways, about using magic - it says so in the manual. For searching under the table, are you really sure there are no hints? If so, I am conceding that one. Did you really need all magic containers to cast Thunder if you fully leveled up magic? It might be true, but I just never had a problem with it (probably since I know where all the containers are).

Yeah, those were just examples. Stuff like casting Shield to defeat that Wizrobe boss, finding hidden link dolls and heart containers, chopping down forests to find hidden villages and stuff, the day you realized you could cast Jump and walk on the roofs of towns, the first time you tried to find your way out of Death Mountain... The Darknuts who are suddenly able to shoot lasers at you and later jump. The game is brutal and so little explanation is given. But I figured most of it out and I was just a kid, so it's OK, just kind of nuts, especially by today's standards.

I'm not sure how it happened but my clearest memory of the game is getting to the final dungeon or the second to last one and not being able to get in because I didn't have enough magic to cast Thunder, which is why I haven't beaten it to this day... I don't remember the details though.

Mak

Well, 'port' might be the wrong word. It might only have ever been intended to be used as a tech demo, or maybe even a Satellaview game, but it did exist:

531434.jpg

Let Koizumi, Shimizu and EAD Tokyo make it. Koizumi was working on a version of Zelda 2 for the Super Famicom that used polygons before working on Super Mario 64 and Zelda 64 (Ocarina of Time).

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/zelda-ocarina-of-time/1/1
Koizumi It was true of Shimizu-san as well, but I really liked Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.

Osawa So much that you wanted to make it yourself?

Koizumi Yeah. You might say that, but before Super Mario 64, I had actually been making Zelda II: The Adventure of Link in polygons with Miyamoto-san.

Miyamoto on developing Zelda 2

http://www.angelfire.com/games5/makzelda/interviews/superplay.html
SP: The sequel, Zelda II AoL was a different game. Why was that? And why have you never done anything like it again?

SM: It was my original idea, but the actual game was developed by another team, different persons that made the first game. Compared to Legend of Zelda, Zelda II went exactly as we first thought. All games I make usually gets better in the development process since all good ideas are coming, but Zelda II is a little [bit of a] failure.

SP: So that's why the third game looked like the first one?

SM: Exactly, we actually see A link to the past as the real sequel to Legend of Zelda. Zelda II was more of a sidestory [of] what happend to Link after the happenings in Legend of Zelda.

http://archive.today/34Jkk#selection-307.0-309.316
SM: After the Famicom's launch, the Disk System was completed in 1985, and I started work on Mario and Zelda sequels at the same time. I was the director on both projects and I really thought I was going to die.

SM: Once we finished Mario and Zelda, the next thing I wanted to do was sequels. I thought Zelda could turn into a new and different game if the game system was more fun and we could switch between maps and things, so... I had people under me do Mario 3 and The Adventure of Link, so I figured, hey, I'm a producer now.

Miyamoto on rereleasing Zelda 2 right before the Zelda Collection was announced for GameCube

"NOM UK: Getting onto Zelda, are there any plans yet to re-release The Adventures Of Link? Currently it's only available on the Famicom Disk System in Japan and they've stopped making them.

Miyamoto: That... is a secret. Link's Adventure... if we were to just bring it out again, it wouldn't be enough fun. It's a little rough around the edges, isn't it? The Disk System had certain limitations and if we were using the cartridge format it would have been better. You know, the American version is improved. It would be great if we were to give the American version of Link's Adventure to Japan, but... [shrugs]. Even among our staff, they love Link's Adventure. They're always saying, "Let's do it on GameCube!" [laughs] But I don't know. Not yet.

And here's the first half of the Japanese version of Zelda 2 on GameCube
http://youtu.be/lGA9yD1nXK8

kunonabi

I'm glad to see others with the opinion that it was a flawed masterpiece. So many great ideas, but a ton of problems came with it.

If love a Zelda that takes us back to an action oriented feel like that. Not a sidescroller, just a 3D game with tough enemies and thoughtful combat. I felt like SS was a step towards that, but the enemies never really felt challenging.

Not having Darknuts in SS was just criminal in my opinion.

That is still my biggest gripe with Skyward Sword.

I would love another game like Zelda 2 though. The game really just needed a few tweaks.

"Zelda II is a little bit of a failure"

"we actually see A Link To The Past as the real sequel to Legend of Zelda"

"Zelda II was more of a sidestory"

ibk2OtY8VgAwt8.gif

CorvoSol

I know most of you have heard of it, but for those who haven't, I really do want to recommend Faxanadu as being every bit as great as Zelda II.

As far as story goes, you're a dude (an elf dude, I believe?) who comes home from a journey to his town at the foot of the World Tree. Meteors crashed into the tree and the Dwarves poured out and started wrecking things. Now go climb the tree and fix this mess.

But basically, it's an upward adventure where you start out as this guy with nothing, climbing the tree, collecting gear and fighting enemies to earn gold and EXP. You need gold to buy cool stuff like magic, keys, and gear. EXP is necessary to get new titles which helps the password guy remember more of your shit when you inevitably die again and again and again.

The Music is Really Good, too!

The craziest thing is that Faxanadu is a spinoff. Probably one of the best examples of the spin-off being infinitely more popular than the original in NES games.

Mak

It didn't explain a single thing to you. Don't know how to use magic? Tough. Didn't know you had to search under the table in that completely unrelated house for that lady's missing mirror? Sucks for you. Missed a magic container somewhere in this absurdly vast overworld and now you can't cast Thunder and get into the final dungeon? Guess you're screwed then!

When you learn a spell, the game forces the pause menu on you to view your spell list and inventory. (There's only 4 face buttons on the controller so...)

The house with the mirror is the first house you encounter without anyone in it, which makes it odd. There are many houses you can't enter, so why did they make a house with an empty room?

The heart containers all have hints to their location or are in caves.

The magic containers are hidden in caves or along an easily explroable maze. I usually miss the Maze island container or the one in the cave south of North Castle when I play.

Its hinted at that there's an old man in the ruined town of Kasuto with a spell you need.

Krejlooc

Banned
I know most of you have heard of it, but for those who haven't, I really do want to recommend Faxanadu as being every bit as great as Zelda II.

As far as story goes, you're a dude (an elf dude, I believe?) who comes home from a journey to his town at the foot of the World Tree. Meteors crashed into the tree and the Dwarves poured out and started wrecking things. Now go climb the tree and fix this mess.

But basically, it's an upward adventure where you start out as this guy with nothing, climbing the tree, collecting gear and fighting enemies to earn gold and EXP. You need gold to buy cool stuff like magic, keys, and gear. EXP is necessary to get new titles which helps the password guy remember more of your shit when you inevitably die again and again and again.

The Music is Really Good, too!

The craziest thing is that Faxanadu is a spinoff. Probably one of the best examples of the spin-off being infinitely more popular than the original in NES games.

The original games weren't NES games. Faxanadu is a famicom-themed spinoff of Xanadu, which itself is a sequel to Dragon Slayer. Dragon Slayer and Xanadu are much more popular than the famicom spin-off.

It's also more accurate to say Zelda II is like Xanadu, than that Fauxanadu is like Zelda II, considering Xanadu predates Zelda II. The true progression would probably be something like this:

Zelda 1 -> Maze of Galious (Konami) -> Xanadu (Falcom) -> Fauxanadu

As Xanadu is clearly inspired by Maze of Galious, which itself was essentially a side scrolling Zelda title, and Fauxanadu is a pretty logical evolution of Xanadu.

It all comes back around with Xanadu 2, which is basically a Zelda III clone.

Lothar

Banned
I can't believe some people actually wants a sequel for that "thing"... It's not a good idea btw, Zelda II is not really popular and it's not a good game, c`mon.

It was extremely popular and it's objectively a great game. You don't know what you're talking about.

Mak

It was extremely popular and it's objectively a great game. You don't know what you're talking about.

Yup, it sold almost as much as A Link to the Past and did well for a sequel and got rereleased along with The Legend of Zelda 1.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda

1987 NES Legend of Zelda 6.51
1988 NES Zelda II: Adventure of Link 4.38
1992 SNES The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 4.61

Bi9BaNkCYAAu1r7.jpg:small

It was very popular when it came out (including merchandising), and it wasn't until recent years that its been looked down on when that really wasn't the case when it came out. It was a great game, just different than the first Zelda.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I really don't like Zelda II, but I'd love to see a sequel to it, anyways. It has a lot of cool ideas that I'd love to see Aonuma and Co. revisit.

How about a new IP that is heavily inspired by the gameplay of Zelda 2? No reason for it to be a Zelda game. In fact, I feel like that would do more harm than good, as people would reject it for being too different, much like they did when Zelda 2 originally released.

Just give me more understandable NPCs, a game that's possible to beat without a guide, a revamped magic system, get rid of the lives system, make falling in pits not equal instant death, and just generally make it feel a bit more modern, but retain the classic gameplay.

Krejlooc

Banned
Yup, it sold almost as much as A Link to the Past and did well for a sequel and got rereleased along with The Legend of Zelda 1.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda

1987 NES Legend of Zelda 6.51
1988 NES Zelda II: Adventure of Link 4.38
1992 SNES The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 4.61

Bi9BaNkCYAAu1r7.jpg:small

It was very popular when it came out (including merchandising), and it wasn't until recent years that its been looked down on when that really wasn't the case when it came out. It was a great game, just different than the first Zelda.

And, actually, in those days, a sequel being dramatically different wasn't uncommon.

See Mario 2, Wonderboy 2, Castlevania 2, etc.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't want it. Would want a Zelda that plays more like Ys however.

Krejlooc

Banned
go easy on him, he's probably a kid

While I'm certainly not complaining, it's odd for me to see Wonderboy/Monster World praised amongst retro gamers while Zelda II is slammed. They're very similar style games IMO, especially the later Monster World games. The difference is Monster World is much more refined and easier.

I pretty much like all games that play like this. Popful Mail, Fauxanadu, Ys III, etc. This is a style of games that appeal to me quite a bit.

Wonko_C

If they get rid of the overhead map it runs the risk of becoming a 2D Metroid with a Zelda skin. They should keep the overworld and expand on it, make it overhead but seamless (no separate battle screens) like ALTTP/ALBW, and then make the palaces (dungeons) in sidescroll.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's the worst Zelda game (not counting CDi games and spinoffs, obviously), so nah. That said, I wouldn't mind some more light RPG elements. They started a bit in Skyward Sword, with the item upgrades and such. Do bring in a bit more of that to make the experience deeper, by all means

Krejlooc

Banned
It's the worst Zelda game (not counting CDi games and spinoffs, obviously), so nah.

These sorts of comments seem extremely short sighted or unimaginative. Was Metroid Zero Mission just Metroid 1 with prettier graphics, antiquated gameplay and all? Presumably, a Zelda II remake or sequel to improve upon what the original game did well while fixing it's faults. Like virtually every nintendo sequel ever does.

I'd settle for an updated remake actually. Zelda 2 is a great game with a lot of great features that would have made a great series. If Zelda 2 was considered a "side story" then Shiggy should have done the right thing and made it different series all together.

Actually that's a good point, Shiggy bring back Zelda 2 and make it a game focusing on Zelda! Bam, best of both worlds.

Regiruler

On topic, I think people would go for a new game in the style of Zelda 2, but probably not within the Zelda series. I could see an unrelated, spiritual sequel getting Kickstarted and doing well on Wii U/3DS/Steam.
This reads like you are both directly pointing at while trying to completely avoid Shovel Knight.

Enemies can drop health, it's just much rarer. More importantly, enemies can drop XP, which will let you increase your magic bar. You get a spell to heal yourself midway through the game. Enemies can also drop items to refill your magic.

Enemies don't drop health, they only drop blue and red magic jars (red which completely fills your magic). But there's magic to heal yourself, which takes 2-3 blue jars depending on your magic level. So because of this mechanic, enemies do drop health in an oblique way.

Crom

I want one.

To think subtle RPG elements were in a Zelda game, and only the second game in, and it's just been abandoned since. Would love them to take this approach again for a handheld entry. It wasn't for everyone, it has to be said, but I'd like to see another Zelda in this vein one day - or let someone else attempt it, at least.

Same here. Shovel Knight has elements of it at least..

I also want a new Simon's Quest style Castlevania. I loved going to towns and the day night aspect of it.

Crom

Neogaf scared of Zelda II, cute.

I had to use save state every 30 seconds.

It wasn;t even a hard game. As a kid (in the 6th grade) I beat it and then replayed it and beat it with attack level 1 for a challenge. The dragon boss late in the game took 96 hits to kill with attack level 1.

Ganondorfo

If we didn't get a sequel from Nintendo in more than 20 years, why do you desperate hope, that they will do it now? I know your Nintendo fans dream of Nintendo announcing one day a sequel to this game and a Metroid Prime 4 and a Startropics 3, but these are always made for dream threads and not for reality.

Muffdraul

Oh man, this thread is making me so nostalgic. Now I'm really longing for the good ol' days, when pretty much everyone in the Zelda fanbase was on the same page and agreed that Zelda II was a piece of shit best left forgotten.

Top Bottom