• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic and the Black Knight (Wii) revealed in new Nintendo Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I think it's still going to be basically on-rails, with you running constantly like Secret Rings.

The nunchuk will just replace tilting left/right/jump, and waving the remote will just slash at enemies to your left, right or in the air.

So ... yeah.

[Nintex]

sphinx said:
you guys are always looking forward to games that haven't even been officially revealed.

Nintendo has some stuff to show before they go ahead and reveal new titles,

.- Fatal Frame 4
.- Disaster: DoC
.- Retro game?

I think the game that wasn't shown at E3 that NP is talking about could be pikmin 3, but most likely it's something that has already been revealed.
No Fatal Frame 4 soon. At E3 NoA didn't even know about the game.

gwiz210

Sega1991 said:
I've heard it's not, really. I think as I recall hearing, there's lots of slowdown and the game noticeably pauses for a moment when the music reaches the end of a given track and has to loop from the start.
Because its my only iPod game, I play the crap out of it, and I can assure you that neither of those are problems. The only problem is the controls but you can get used to them after about a 3 minute learning curve. Its only a real problem if you have bigger fingers.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Cow Mengde said:
What are the chance of Sonic running around holding a sword? By holding, I mean he holds onto it without doing anything with it. More like a plot item than an actual weapon. Think of it as a new shirt for Sonic.
I think it will indead be used to attack enemies as the game uses the nunchuk for a reason for sure. But I hope youll just waggle around a bit to attack enemies without slowing down which is OK by me.

Yoshi said:
I think it will indead be used to attack enemies as the game uses the nunchuk for a reason for sure. But I hope youll just waggle around a bit to attack enemies without slowing down which is OK by me.

It should be like Sword Kirby and Metaknight in Kirby Air Ride!

But you swing the Wiimote when you're close enough to an enemy to swing the sword at it, not slowing down at all. Sure they could make him auto-swing it like in Air Ride and he won't slow down at all, but then that defeats the whole purpose of the sword doesn't it?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Sadist said:
2ecdyr4.jpg

"Plus, you'll get an exclusive look at a hot new title that didn't appear on the show"

My money is on a Metal Gear racing game! :lol
It never ends! :lol

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Lonewolf_92 said:
Am I the only one who finds it amusing/ironic that the cover of the 20th anniversary issue of Nintendo Power stars Sega's Sonic The Hedgehog and Dead Rising?
No the anniversary issue was last month and had Mad World.

Keyser Soze said:
Got this email 5 minutes ago:
SAN FRANCISCO & LONDON (July 21, 2008) –SEGA of Europe Ltd. and SEGA® of America, Inc. today announced Sonic™ and the Black Knight, an all-new Wii-exclusive adventure. Part of the storybook series of games that began with Sonic and the Secret Rings, this new title brings Sonic into the world of Arthurian legend and offers the worlds most infamous blue hedgehog the chance to become a knight. Using the unique Wii control system, this exciting game will take advantage of both the Wii Remote and the Nunchuk to offer an interactive experience that any Sonic fans will love.

Created by Sonic Team in Japan, this innovative game takes Sonic into a medieval world and arms him with a sword to aid in his effort to save the day. Sonic and the Black Knight will provide Sonic fans with an irresistible cast of characters and teach them all what it takes to be a true hero and the ultimate knight. With a series of missions taking place in stunning Arthurian-inspired locations, Sonic and the Black Knight promises to offer a fast-paced adventure that gamers of all ages will enjoy.

“After the success of Sonic and the Secret Rings we’re delighted to announce a second title in the Storybook Series,” said Gary Knight, European Marketing Director, SEGA Europe, “Following Sonic on his way to knighthood will excite players of all ages.”

Sonic and the Black Knight, exclusively for the Wii, will be out in Spring 2009.

New info?
So it's called the "storybook series" eh?

Teknoman

grandjedi6 said:
No the anniversary issue was last month and had Mad World.

So it's called the "storybook series" eh?

So far its been arabian nights, the sword in the stone, what else will they make him tackle?

Legend of the Monkey King (is that the name of the story?), I would say Robin Hood, but they'll probably fuse some of that in with Black Knight, Homer's Odyssey...

Ugh, how can you combine Sonic gameplay with sword fighting? It just sounds like it'll slow things down. Seems like we have another werehog-like syndrome here. Why do SEGA have to keep adding stupid gimmicks to Sonic? Can't they just strip him down and let him do what he does best? Unleashed doesn't need the werehog crap, and even though i haven't seen this game yet, I'm expecting similar things.

As for WiiMotionplus, I thought 3rd parties don't have access to it yet? It sounds a bit odd for Black Knight to use it if that's been the case, since the game has been probably been in development for quite a while now. I suppose they can add it into the game. If it works, it would be a nice showcase for the controls, since the game's supposed to come out near Wii Sports Resort.

The one thing I am glad about is that SEGA have finally rewarded the fantastic sales of Secret Rings. The game's still charting each week in Europe, nearly 1.5 years after its release. It's nice to see some payoff for that.

Teknoman

ShockingAlberto said:
Things like that. And the boss of Evil Foundry.

Oh yeah that fire golem boss.

Though I dont like lyrics in most game stages or boss battles...Night Palace ( Unawakening Float) and Erazor battle (It has come to this) are nice.

Not to mention both taking place in some nice looking environments.

Arde5643

_Alkaline_ said:
Ugh, how can you combine Sonic gameplay with sword fighting? It just sounds like it'll slow things down. Seems like we have another werehog-like syndrome here. Why do SEGA have to keep adding stupid gimmicks to Sonic? Can't they just strip him down and let him do what he does best? Unleashed doesn't need the werehog crap, and even though i haven't seen this game yet, I'm expecting similar things.

If the sword is its own thing that is controlled by wiimote then it might work. Basically, make it a living sword that Sonic doesn't have to wield around to beat enemies and players control the sword with the IR instead of motion controls.

For example, you control Sonic with the nunchuck - for platforming and everything else.
You use the wiimote's IR to direct the sword's movement to solve minor platformer puzzles or to slash at certain enemies that Sonic cannot beat with just jumping and rolling.

In later stages, the sword can the level up where it can do more things besides just slashing/swiping. Later on it can freeze opponents, create blackholes, or any other gimmicks so that players want to revisit previous stages to find other routes that are capable thanks to the sword's new powers.

Obviously, the sword's powers will also be important in boss stages as boss stages will require both the player's dexterity with Sonic as well as knowing which sword abilities to use at the right time.

A simple idea like that will work well with the Sonic gameplay I think.

Teknoman

Arde5643 said:
If the sword is its own thing that is controlled by wiimote then it might work. Basically, make it a living sword that Sonic doesn't have to wield around to beat enemies and players control the sword with the IR instead of motion controls.

For example, you control Sonic with the nunchuck - for platforming and everything else.
You use the wiimote's IR to direct the sword's movement to solve minor platformer puzzles or to slash at certain enemies that Sonic cannot beat with just jumping and rolling.

In later stages, the sword can the level up where it can do more things besides just slashing/swiping. Later on it can freeze opponents, create blackholes, or any other gimmicks so that players want to revisit previous stages to find other routes that are capable thanks to the sword's new powers.

Obviously, the sword's powers will also be important in boss stages as boss stages will require both the player's dexterity with Sonic as well as knowing which sword abilities to use at the right time.

A simple idea like that will work well with the Sonic gameplay I think.

Sounds kinda like the Mario Galaxy starbit/luma cursor.

Hero of legend said:

Damn it, im always late. Then again it is pretty obvious :lol

Danthrax said:
:lol Oh no, I think you might be right!

Just imagine: Sonic with boobs!

Let's not, shall we, I already had the displeasure of seeing Robotnik's head stuck on SC4 Ivy, AND NO ONE POST THAT IMAGE HERE ARE I'LL GET MEDIEVAL ON YOUR ASSES!!!

WHY DON'T WE HAVE ANY INFO ON THIS GAME? WHOSE THE IDIOT THAT KEEPS SCANNING THE COVER AND BACK AND NOT THE PAGES WITH INFO?
Even a small summary would suffice, some quick bullet points

Penguin

Zoramon089 said:
WHY DON'T WE HAVE ANY INFO ON THIS GAME? WHOSE THE IDIOT THAT KEEPS SCANNING THE COVER AND BACK AND NOT THE PAGES WITH INFO?

There is some info in the thread from the press release.

Teknoman

Zoramon089 said:

Looks like Sega isnt going to slip up like they did with Unleashed.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Hero of legend said:
Let's not, shall we, I already had the displeasure of seeing Robotnik's head stuck on SC4 Ivy, AND NO ONE POST THAT IMAGE HERE ARE I'LL GET MEDIEVAL ON YOUR ASSES!!!

Medieval, like.... Sonic and the Black Knight :lol The joke just writes itself!

Penguin said:
There is some info in the thread from the press release.

A small snippet of what could easily be assumed by looking at the cover. I'm talking REAL information, some gameplay details, screenshots. Is it going to be on rails like SoTR? 3d or 2d style gameplay? How with the sword be used?

-Developed by the same people as Sonic and the Secret Rings

-”This time, a sorceress named Merlina summons Sonic to the mythical realm of King Arthur, but it seems the fabled monarch has somehow been corrupted and now rules the land as the tyranical Black Knight.”

-Uses a similar storybook device as Secret Rings

-”As Sonic runs along, a simple flick of the Wii remote will execute a basic slash, which is enough to dispatch most low-level grunts.”

-More advanced swordplay consists of the ability to thrust, parry, and even pull off a buzz-saw maneuver midjump.

-”During out demo, we saw the hedgehog leap from a high precipice, then thrust the blade into a wall to slow his decent, sparks flying impressivly as steel cut through brick”

-”Combat is integrated in such a way that most of the time you can slice through any who stand in your path without even slowing down”

-Sonic is controlled with the Control Stick.

-”Our hero begins his quest as a mere knave. Only by becoming a full-fledged knight will he have any hope of defeating King Arthur.”

-”his sword, a talking blade named Calibur, serves as a mentor”

-If you help civilian townfolk in need of assistance, you’ll earn points toward knighthood. If you smite one of those civilians, your reputation will take a hit.

-”At the end of each stage, the game tallies your good and not-so-good deeds and updates your rank accordingly.

-You can purchase items from residents. “Sonic can aquire everything from gauntlets to magical tomes to new swords, and when equipped, each article bestows him with a unique benefit.”

-About 200 items in all, with some being able to be combined with others to make new ones.

-You have the option to go online and trade items with friends.

-Rings come in burlap sacks instead of monitors.

-Sonic uses magic elementals to help him do various things, such as a bounce pad or a speed boost. They look like chao heads. The red ones give him a jump and the blue give Sonic a speed boost.

-Sonic can cross large gaps by firing a ballista and grinding the rope to the other side.

-”On the audio side, veteran composer Jen Senoue is taking a smiliar approach, injecting familiar Sonic themes with a Celtic flavor.”

-”Each stage has multiple branching paths and searching for townsfolk and treasure chests provides an element of exploration that recalls Sonic’s early Genesis days.”

-”the camera will occasionally pan to a side-scrolling perspective for a quick dose of classic 2-D action”

-SBK Bringing back the skill system from Secret Rings, but they’re trying not to have the skill system interfere with the game’s tempo this time around.

-The mission structure also returns but the developers hope to make it less arduous.

-”And there will be no dinosaur eggs!”

-”Just as they subbed in for such characters as Ali Baba and Aladdin in Sonic and the Secret Rings, a number of familiar faces will assume Arthurian personas in SBK.”

-Other characters beside Sonic are playable, but it is entirely optional to play as them.

-Knuckles, who can hold two swords at once, and Shadow have been confirmed so far.

-A new special guage will “bestow him with similarly impressive powers. The meter fills gradually whenever Sonic vanquishes an enemy or snags a purple elemental, and when it reaches a certain point you can unleash a powerful combination attack capable of tearing through multiple foes in quick succession.”

-The team knows of the faults of the recent series and are hoping to fix it with this game.

Source: http://www.blueblur.org/2008/07/21/sonic-and-the-black-knight-nintendo-power-details/

Aaron Strife said:
-Developed by the same people as Sonic and the Secret Rings

-”This time, a sorceress named Merlina summons Sonic to the mythical realm of King Arthur, but it seems the fabled monarch has somehow been corrupted and now rules the land as the tyranical Black Knight.”

-Uses a similar storybook device as Secret Rings

-”As Sonic runs along, a simple flick of the Wii remote will execute a basic slash, which is enough to dispatch most low-level grunts.”

-More advanced swordplay consists of the ability to thrust, parry, and even pull off a buzz-saw maneuver midjump.

-”During out demo, we saw the hedgehog leap from a high precipice, then thrust the blade into a wall to slow his decent, sparks flying impressivly as steel cut through brick”

-”Combat is integrated in such a way that most of the time you can slice through any who stand in your path without even slowing down”

-Sonic is controlled with the Control Stick.

-”Our hero begins his quest as a mere knave. Only by becoming a full-fledged knight will he have any hope of defeating King Arthur.”

-”his sword, a talking blade named Calibur, serves as a mentor”

-If you help civilian townfolk in need of assistance, you’ll earn points toward knighthood. If you smite one of those civilians, your reputation will take a hit.

-”At the end of each stage, the game tallies your good and not-so-good deeds and updates your rank accordingly.

-You can purchase items from residents. “Sonic can aquire everything from gauntlets to magical tomes to new swords, and when equipped, each article bestows him with a unique benefit.”

-About 200 items in all, with some being able to be combined with others to make new ones.

-You have the option to go online and trade items with friends.

-Rings come in burlap sacks instead of monitors.

-Sonic uses magic elementals to help him do various things, such as a bounce pad or a speed boost. They look like chao heads. The red ones give him a jump and the blue give Sonic a speed boost.

-Sonic can cross large gaps by firing a ballista and grinding the rope to the other side.

-”On the audio side, veteran composer Jen Senoue is taking a smiliar approach, injecting familiar Sonic themes with a Celtic flavor.”

-”Each stage has multiple branching paths and searching for townsfolk and treasure chests provides an element of exploration that recalls Sonic’s early Genesis days.”

-”the camera will occasionally pan to a side-scrolling perspective for a quick dose of classic 2-D action”

-SBK Bringing back the skill system from Secret Rings, but they’re trying not to have the skill system interfere with the game’s tempo this time around.

-The mission structure also returns but the developers hope to make it less arduous.

-”And there will be no dinosaur eggs!”

-”Just as they subbed in for such characters as Ali Baba and Aladdin in Sonic and the Secret Rings, a number of familiar faces will assume Arthurian personas in SBK.”

-Other characters beside Sonic are playable, but it is entirely optional to play as them.

-Knuckles, who can hold two swords at once, and Shadow have been confirmed so far.

-A new special guage will “bestow him with similarly impressive powers. The meter fills gradually whenever Sonic vanquishes an enemy or snags a purple elemental, and when it reaches a certain point you can unleash a powerful combination attack capable of tearing through multiple foes in quick succession.”

-The team knows of the faults of the recent series and are hoping to fix it with this game.

Source: http://www.blueblur.org/2008/07/21/sonic-and-the-black-knight-nintendo-power-details/

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

Talking Sword = OH NO! :lol

Jun Senoue doing the music = FUCK YES, IT WAS TRUE! :D :D :D

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'm still a bit confused- is it on rails like the first one? From that description, maybe not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom