• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychonauts PC Demo

hooo

boooy
=/ there doesn't seem to be a link in firefox. I'm guessing it's only for pay members? Is there another place that offers it for free?

Andy787

Banned
Excellent.

xsarien said:
I've been waiting for this, thanks. If I like it, I'll get the PC version on principle alone.
Same. Though I think the verdict is pretty much a foregone conclusion for me.

Madrin

Thanks! I've been modestly interested in this game for a while. I'll probably buy the PC version if this is good.

I don't know the requirements, but for reference, I ran it on:

1900+ Athlon XP (1.6ghz)
512mb of RAM
Radeon 9800 Pro

and it ran perfectly smooth (I forgot to pull up fraps for a framerate count, but it was well over 30 AND with FSAA on).

Alex

Wow... That was really damn good, I wasn't expecting much out of it, but it's a hell of a lot more polished and inspired than any platformer I've played this gen at the least. Very fun stuff, I'll get it for Xbox, I suck with PC controls.

It ran good on mine, but I had a few stutters in the camp: P4 3000, 1024 RAM, Radeon 9800 Pro.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Alex said:
Wow... That was really damn good, I wasn't expecting much out of it, but it's a hell of a lot more polished and inspired than any platformer I've played this gen at the least. Very fun stuff, I'll get it for Xbox, I suck with PC controls.

It ran good on mine, but I had a few stutters in the camp: P4 3000, 1024 RAM, Radeon 9800 Pro.

The game suports gamepad (Says on the bottom of the box), so i'll be playing it with my ps2 controller.

Amir0x

Banned
shantyman said:
Honest to god question- why is everyone going nuts for this game?

1. Because it's from the mind of Tim Schafer, the man behind two of the greatest adventure games ever, Grim Fandango and Full Throttle.

2. Because it looks genuinely inspired, seems really funny, and is a totally unique IP that isn't just a "me-too" game or a tired sequel/franchise extension.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
shantyman said:
Honest to god question- why is everyone going nuts for this game?

Great developer, good previews/reviews/impressions, unique story setting and humor? Why not go nuts? Sounds like the most interesting platformer this gen content wise.

Alex

I'm stuck...in the demo!
On the high bar things, I've been messing with it for like twenty minutes...
And I know it's one of those things that's so damned obvious, but eludes you just to make ya feel dumb. :(

Which high bar section are you talking about? if you're talking about that little pyramid of bars you scale up to a platform with a wall in front of it, don't forget that you can punch stuff

bogg

Coop said:
Hmm, I wonder if my laptop will run this.. What are the requirements? Anybody know?
Supported OS: Windows 98 SE/2000/XP (only)
Processor: 1.0 GHz Pentium(R) III and AMD Athlon(tm)
RAM: 256 MB of RAM
Video Card: 64 MB GeForce (tm) 3 or higher or ATI(R) Radeon 8500 or higher
(except GeForce 4 MX)
Sound Card: DirectX(R) 9.0c or higher compatible sound card
DirectX(R) version: 9.0c or higher
Hard Drive Space: 600 MB minimum hard drive space
Controls: Windows-compatible keyboard and mouse

Alex

It's this pyramid of bars you kinda grapple on and toss yourself to one another. Has a video of cannons firing on a broken thing in front of it. I don't think punching anything is required, it mostly seems like a matter of the bars only let you swing one way, and to get up you hafta turn around on one, hmm.

I remember when I used to be good at games.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I was impressed at how well it controlled for a PC platformer. That in itself is worthy of big praise, as few platformers I've ever tried on PC worked very well.

That aside, I found it to be good, but not GREAT. The opening cut scene was way too long, the intervening scenes are also slightly annoying. The graphics are lovely though, I like the style, and I'm sure it gets a lot crazier in the full game. A lot of collecting it seems, although it's not arbitrarily challenging to do so (or at least in the demo it wasn't).

Mario Sunshine did tightropes better :p ;)

Pretty enjoyable, I feel compelled to purchase this out of principle (being a massive platforming fan), but I think I'd go for the Xbox version, despite the PC's surprising controls.

Alex

Teknopathetic said:
Oh, while on bars, press F to change directions.

psychowtf4ts.jpg

God. damnit.

Thanks a bunch though. This reminds of the time where I spent two hours on a puzzle in Lufia 2 with a friend, and it turns out all we needed to do was hold down a trigger or something to move in place.

:)

I didn't think that section was where you were stuck because they flash a little tool tip on the screen saying that F changes swing direction.

Alex

It didn't for me at that point, are you sure? It did on the trapeze section shortly after though. =/

OMG a collect-a-thon! :D Nah, it's pretty good. Hmm, maybe I'll wait for the PS2 version though. I wonder why MS back out of publishing it? Seems like it would've made a good exclusive platformer alongside Conker.

Amir0x

Banned
Guys, impressions please! What did you like? What didn't you like? How is the story/voicework/characters? Is it charming in the RIGHT kind of way? Is it fucking awesome and trippy visually?

Impressions!

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Seems pretty good from that demo, not sure if id rather have it on Xbox or not now, it runs so flawlessly at high res....Are there any good Xbox - PC Controller converters out there?

EGM92

I heard about this game a while ago and from the art and type of game I thought it was going to be complete CRAP... but after playing this demo I actually enjoyed it enough to actualyl buy it for PC :D sweet game, good voice acting,

Amir0x

Banned
EGM92 said:
I heard about this game a while ago and from the art and type of game I thought it was going to be complete CRAP... but after playing this demo I actually enjoyed it enough to actualyl buy it for PC :D sweet game, good voice acting,

what kind of horrible person thinks any game from Tim Schafer is going to be crap!

Go to your room and play Grim Fandango immediately!

Hooker

Amir0x said:
Guys, impressions please! What did you like? What didn't you like? How is the story/voicework/characters? Is it charming in the RIGHT kind of way? Is it fucking awesome and trippy visually?

Impressions!
Controls are a bit limited, but that's because I'm spoiled by WoW. (In WoW, if you press left while moving the camera, you strafe, not in this game)

Story, voicework and characters are fine so far, can't go in-depth about it as the demo is too limited for it. But right of the bat you're laughing about some of the character designs, voice actors and "smart" story/remarks, typically Schafer!!

They let you play the first level, a tutorial basically. It doesn't showcase the really trippy shit we've seen on the screen, except for the very last obstacle. If you like Schafer stuff, buy it immediatly (but I reckon these blokes would have already done so). The gameplay mechanics are pretty good, but you can't really judge how the entire game will fold out.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Good demo, but I'm going for the XBOX version. It just doesn't feel right on the PC, despite Tim's roots.

border

Gosh it sure does run smooth on my PC. Is the Xbox version confirmed at 30 FPS? If so, then choosing would be kind of hard.

My main gripe so far would be that the camera is not very good. It doesn't really hurt you, but it doesn't really help you either. You just have to be constantly adjusting it.

Top Bottom