• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtual testing of PS4 and XBO GPUs prove PS4 has bigger grafix numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

I agree the ps4's memory solution is better in general, but it provides an area where you could argue in certain scenarios the esram solution could outperform the ps4's (although I'm struggling to think of any) just due to pure speed. But ya, I'm definitely not saying the xb1's solution is better in any way, just that at least debatable that there can be cases where its close.

I'm sorry, but that's just not the case. In essentially every way, the PS4's hardware is more powerful than the XBO's.

hydrophilic attack said:
People laughed at my math skills. People called me a joke poster and a fanboy.

But clearly, the insider agrees with me that The One is superior.

Pack it up Sony

I knew someone was going to do that.

I'm glad it was you.

Knuf

I agree the ps4's memory solution is better in general, but it provides an area where you could argue in certain scenarios the esram solution could outperform the ps4's (although I'm struggling to think of any) just due to pure speed. But ya, I'm definitely not saying the xb1's solution is better in any way, just that at least debatable that there can be cases where its close.

You clearly don't know who you're talking to.

Bundy

Banned
Well, Matt is a dev.
So....

I'm sorry, but that's just not the case. In essentially every way, the PS4's hardware is more powerful than the XBO's.
Yup! ^_^

scoobs

I'm glad it was you.
Again, not saying it isn't. Just saying its the only area where its at least interesting to discuss the implications of the eSRAM. That is all I'm saying. Sorry for confusion

KingFire

Banned
Please tell me all about this gab.

u8_Gabe-Newell.jpg

Marco1

I'm amazed people still think the Xbone is the same or more powerful than PS4.
This isn't a 360, PS4 situation were one is better on paper but will prove itself.
MS spent their budget on different priorities so it is up to them to show that their priorities are the ones that matter. By offering Xbone without kinect they have already failed.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It makes me sad that MS went the way they did with the One. It makes me even sadder that I ended up buying a One, even though I prefer the 4, because I literally only know 1 person with a 4 and over 20 with a One :(

I wonder if your 20 friends fell the same way, but everyone just sort follows each other.

I'm glad it was you.

I know you are under NDA, Matt, but there was talk about the eSRAM being much more capable than initially thought. Could not that bandwidth help the One bridge the gap, at least in terms of memory capabilities, if only a little..?

Gurish

We knew PS4 is more powerful than XB1 so no surprise there but i though it was pretty close to 7870 and it seems to be by that chart to be incorrect, 7870 seems to have a pretty big gap.

We knew PS4 is more powerful than XB1 so no surprise there but i though it was pretty close to 7870 and it seems to be by that chart to be incorrect, 7870 seems to have a pretty big gap.
PS4 is nowhere near a 7870, it's far closer to the XB1 GPU than the 7870.

Busty

Banned
It makes me sad that MS went the way they did with the One. It makes me even sadder that I ended up buying a One, even though I prefer the 4, because I literally only know 1 person with a 4 and over 20 with a One :(

Pretty, pretty, pretty good
humblebrag

Biased. Doesn't account for The Cloud™

SonyGAF at it again

Satirising meaningless corporate jargon does not make one a member of either defence force.

Gurish

PS4 is nowhere near a 7870, it's far closer to the XB1 GPU than the 7870.

Yea according to the graph i would say the gap between PS4 to 7870 is almost the same as XB1 to PS4 which is surprising cause i remember people said PS4 is almost 7870 in terms of power.

TyrantII

MS taking Sony's lunch in folding@home confirmed

Wereroku

Yea according to the graph i would say the gap between PS4 to 7870 is almost the same as XB1 to PS4 which is surprising cause i remember people said PS4 is almost 7870 in terms of power.
No people were saying it was a 7850. The difference between the 50 and 70 is pretty decent.

people advocating for eSRAM fail to mention the theoretical peak of the eSRAM of 200GB/s r/w is like 15% higher then the 176GB/s of the GDDR5 of the PS4. Except the PS4 has 200+x more capacity of RAM with that sort of bandwidth.

I couldn't think of any scenarios where a developer would seriously think that sort of speed increase is worth working with 200x less memory.

Anyway why do we need these sort of benchmarks? The games themselves could easily be benchmarks, to a degree.

gaming_noob

I know it's common knowledge by now but it still shocks me every time I see these facts. I never expected MS to have hardware this weak...

On Demand

Banned
So most powerful console = 7850 and a bunch of Jaguars (AMD Atoms)?
Now all that talk about consoles power praising the "powerful" consoles became more ridiculous than ever.

You're acting like Sony just grabbed a 7850 off the shelf and used it for the PS4. It's custom designed and has advantages.

So most powerful console = 7850 and a bunch of Jaguars (AMD Atoms)?
Now all that talk about consoles power praising the "powerful" consoles became more ridiculous than ever.

2557385-4519761117-iSrhJ.gif

Show me a PC 7850 that can duplicate that @ 60fps

consoles have always been able to do much more with much weaker on paper hardware.

belmonkey

2557385-4519761117-iSrhJ.gif

Show me a PC 7850 that can duplicate that @ 60fps

consoles have always been able to do much more with much weaker on paper hardware.

We can't really know if a 7850 could do that because the game is locked to a console. And it's simply a case of a game being made for modern hardware anyway, instead of 8 year old hardware; there's gonna be a jump in graphics. I would like to be lead to the comparable games though that are doing much more with weaker on paper specs.

jaypah

What?! No way! This seems shady, let me go and turn on my PS4 and inspect the amount of graphics. According to these findings I should be seeing at least 4 pounds of graphics.

All those performance charts look the same to me and I don't perceive any difference between them, my monitor screen size less than 60' though.

I have both a ps4 and Xbox One and i haven't really noticed a difference either having tried both versions of some games such as Watchdogs.

Until they change the controller or the UI and other things, I will pick up the Xbox version every time. Just cant stand the PlayStation Eco system. *shrugs*

*these are my opinions and I'm not saying other people who prefer PS4 are wrong.

genbatzu

The PS4 bar is at 42 points and the first XBO bar at 28 points.

42 - 28 = 14

This would make the PS4 14 % more powerful

I don't think this is how math works...

28/42 -> 2/3 -> 66% which means the Xbone has 66% of the Power of the PS4, which means, that the PS4 is 33% more powerful. (of course only considering these theoretically numbers "28" & "42")

Or to make it even bigger: 42/28 -> 1.5 which means the PS4 is 1.5 times more powerful as the Xbone.

IF 42 and 28 are percentages on a scale to 100. Even then your math is wrong. becaus the 14% difference wouldn't be in relation to each other, but in relation to the end of the scale (100), in which the PS4 is 14 points "closer" to it.

or.. I've overseen something and totally calculated it wrong, so feel free to correct me

i dont know what i expected of the comments section in there, it's like when you wake up and somebody forgot to flush the toilet in the morning

it was an interesting read anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom