• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human Official Thread of Hack-n-Loot

Gattsu25

Banned
I dunno, after playing the demo a few times (and even fenangling around with my 360's clock to play as the Berserker class) I don't think this game is for me. I greatly enjoyed the targeting system, and that was enough for me to complete the demo a few times without being sidetracked by complaints, but the rest was much too insubstantial and rough around the edges, for me. Even the loot system, which I have seen praised countless times, wasn't impressive to me...though I imagine that TQ:IT is to blame for that.

Stantron

Anyone know if there will be an option to change button layout? I wouldn't be surprised if it were locked at the present default, but this is how I'd like to change.

LB = jump
RB = Roll
A = center camera
B = Ruiner

Right thumb going back and forth between analog stick and A button is a bit awkward. Especially when you're launching enemies into the air to juggle.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Gattsu25 said:
I dunno, after playing the demo a few times (and even fenangling around with my 360's clock to play as the Berserker class) I don't think this game is for me. I greatly enjoyed the targeting system, and that was enough for me to complete the demo a few times without being sidetracked by complaints, but the rest was much too insubstantial and rough around the edges, for me. Even the loot system, which I have seen praised countless times, wasn't impressive to me...though I imagine that TQ:IT is to blame for that.

whats so different about them? or should i say whats makes titan quest so much better?

Mar

BigAT said:
I think I'm probably going Commando when I end up picking this up.

6457082104824c907dbc60.jpg

Gattsu25

Banned
_tetsuo_ said:
whats so different about them? or should i say whats makes titan quest so much better?
Hmm...I tend to ramble and get off point when I try to distinguish exactly what I like or dislike in one game over another...so forgive me if this isn't to your liking.

Well, the inventory system and the menu that surrounds it is the first thing that comes to mind.

The brief time I spent in the menu were marred by a sludgy interface that didn't respond nearly as quick as I would like and devoted too much screen area to insignificant UI. It's been a while since I played it, and I'm a few thousand miles separated from my 360 to double check, but I specifically remember the horizontal -> vertical -> horizontal navigation, the delay as the selection animation plays out, and the lack of significant button queuing grated on me (was there even button queuing?). The inventory controls in Titan Quest, to me, are the very definition of non-hindering: quick, unobtrusive, clean, and quickly entered/exited with numerous ways to complete each task.

Enemies in Titan Quest were equipment that is visible on their character model and any item you see a badguy wearing or wielding can be picked up after killing them. You have a method of filtering between worthwhile items and items that are not likely to be helpful, or do not sell for much, before you even pick them up. The number of weapon types and the small variations between each, before you even get to special effects and buffs, in the first 15 minutes of Titan Quest dwarfed what was evident in the Too Human demo. Items and their enhancements did become more powerful much quicker, in Too Human, than they do in TQ:IT though I assume that is because Too Human might be lacking the New Game+ (with added difficulty) style replayability that games like TQ:IT and DII have. The stat variation in equipment before enhancements...the number of random stat, skill, and buff enhancements present...hell, I guess the way to say this would be the sheer size of the loot table in IT, in general. There's so much to look through and so many variations that equipment upgrades are not linear...coupled with the abundant number, and importance, of skills in TQ... This isn't exactly fair, since it's a fairly fundamental gameplay difference that isn't exactly related to the equipment, but I vastly prefer Titan's Quest's skill system..I'm pulling out my crystal ball on this one, but I'm guessing that skill enhancing equipment will have a more significant impact on gameplay in TQ than in TH.

I haven't messed with the rune system in Too Human, so I can't compare, but the Rune system in TQ is well formed with the ability to combine runes, unlock capabilities in the runes you have, recover runes from outdated equipment, and replace runes in equipment. Too Human doesn't have an item creation system, does it? (Not talking about runes)

Then there's a couple of minor minor quibbles, like the visual representation of collectable items and equipment in the game world and the visual appearance of equipment on your character. I guess it's inspired by the Warhammer 40,000 armor, but more oft than not I found myself thinking of Stallone's Judge Dredd (in random colors) than the Space Marines or Chaos Space Marines. This last one will sound silly, but the naming convention for random items has never bothered me in any game until I played Too Human.

None of this will change your opinion, most likely...but it gave me something to do instead of dying in MegaMan ZX for the 50th time.

Won

Gattsu25 said:
Too Human doesn't have an item creation system, does it?

It has somekind of crafting system, which is basically the money sink in this game.

The rest.....don't forget it is a console game.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Gattsu25 said:
*long post*

Well all loot is magnatically attractd to you in Too Human, ther is no deciding what you want to pick up like in TQ.You dont have to hold alt and look through everything on the ground to see if its any good. Everything is drawn to you, and the item name and its rarity is displayed on the screen so u can see what you are picking up. Personally, i like this MUCH better than scouring the ground after every enemy like in Titan Quest. From my experience with Too Huamn (demo) and Titan Quest (beaten a handful of times), they both seem to have very many variables that can be effected by equipment. Im surei havent seen all the categories in Too Human yet but quite a few were there in the demo.

Yes, there is a new game+ in Too Human, its how you can eventually get to lvl 50 and get all red gear. Ther is a crafting system AND a blueprint system, to my knowledge. The blueprints are rare drops that can be crafted on the spot and there is something else that you do only in the city. I think its for making runes.

And i know a beta tester for the game, and he said the same thing you did about the low level armor. The armor sets and weapons dont start to really look great until around lvl 30ish, and get pretty crazy around lvl 45.

Zertez

Gattsu25 said:
Too Human doesn't have an item creation system, does it? (Not talking about runes)
Yes there is a crafting system in Too Human. Patterns drop off mobs rarely and it is a simple click to make button. You melt old armor, weapons etc down to get the part needed to make items. I made 5 pieces of purple armor in the demo, I did not find any purple weapons though.

Grrr...Still can't decide... Which means I'll probably wait for impresssions. I'm definitely going to get it at some point, just not sure if I should wait until post Holiday with all the games coming in the fall.

I guess my big stopping point is the length. I prefer a longer mian quest where I can see a lot more of what the game has to offer rather than a shorter main quest that I need to replay a whole bunch of times.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Agyar said:
JB has Too Human priced at 79AUD, taking preorders for Aussie-GAF who care.

SPEA said:
Character Plotter (Java)

Saw this posted over at TooHuman.net. Someone over there wrote a skill tree plotter in Java. It's pretty neat. If you guys wanna start working on your builds now, it's a big help.

The Plotter: http://pyreflies.nu/hench/TooHuman/TooHumanCalc.jar

The Thread with the Info on it: http://toohuman.net/index.php?option=com_joomlaboard&Itemid=28&func=view&id=31793&catid=2

Awesome, both of these things are in the OP. Thanks guys!

Lykathea

Banned
I am not sure if this has been changed in the character plotter but it turns out each level 50 character in TH will only have 95 skill points to distribute, and not the 107 said a few months ago.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Lykathea said:
I am not sure if this has been changed in the character plotter but it turns out each level 50 character in TH will only have 95 skill points to distribute, and not the 107 said a few months ago.

Yeah that thread at TH.net says he changed it to 95 in his 2.2 update. (He's up to 2.3 now.)

JdFoX187

Banned
Can't wait. Got mine preordered last week. Haven't pklayed the demo in a while because I want the experience to be fresh.

border

BenjaminBirdie said:
:lol

"Hang awn. Lemme wroite this down. D.......... U.........."
"B?"
"Hang awn."
I will probably get Too Human at full price, but Radio Hut is having a sale on Music Group next week and that is pretty tempting. I hear that the ukulele solos on Expert are killer.

bathala said:
gonna give it a rent and use the Commando class.
i think I'll have more fun mashing the triggers
Same...I will gamefly and then keep it if/when I get addicted....COMMANDO all the way baby!

[Gamertag= MWS The Natural]

border

Where do you go to redeem your code for pre-order armor? Someone posted a code for it earlier in the "Give away codes" thread, but for the life of me I couldn't find it anywhere in the MarketPlace. It wasn't under the "Game Add-Ons" section or the generic listing for Too Human DLC.

Sean

Banned
border said:
Where do you go to redeem your code for pre-order armor? Someone posted a code for it earlier in the "Give away codes" thread, but for the life of me I couldn't find it anywhere in the MarketPlace. It wasn't under the "Game Add-Ons" section or the generic listing for Too Human DLC.

It's on the main blade of Marketplace (don't navigate anywhere, it's right on the main screen).

Near the bottom there's an option to "Redeem code", you just type the code in there and it should bring you right to the content.

border

Sean said:
Near the bottom there's an option to "Redeem code", you just type the code in there and it should bring you right to the content.

Ohhhh ok -- I thought that was just for Spacebucks or XBL Gold subscriptions or something.

border

Someone posted pictures of their code redemption cards that they picked up recently.

If you order online at EBGames/Gamestop for delivery or in-store pickup, it claims that they will e-mail you the armor codes.....not sure if they've been sent out yet.

border

bathala said:
is this pre-order bonus eb only?
and is it too late?

These and many more questions could probably be answered by simply visiting EB's website =P

As far as I can tell though it looks like they are still offering the armor sets.

border said:
Someone posted pictures of their code redemption cards that they picked up recently.

If you order online at EBGames/Gamestop for delivery or in-store pickup, it claims that they will e-mail you the armor codes.....not sure if they've been sent out yet.
Okay. Cause I'm pretty sure they said they'd give em out on release day. Guess I'll call tomorrow and double check.

Agyar

Does anyone have details of the preorder bonus armour in Australia? I can see EB advertising it on their website but otherwise, haven't been able to find much. Is it EB exclusive?

I'll probably just order from Playasia anyway if it's region free...

Will this game be available on Wednesday or Tuesday...hoping Tues because I go back to school on Wed and was hoping to co-op with my friend before school, anyone know?

Cheerilee

Danthrax said:
Pimpbaa said:
Heeey, why is this game immune to trolling?!
1) It gets trolled in every other thread
2) TH fans were crying out for a safe haven, and lo, here it is
3) Bish said so =P

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Kabuki Waq said:
so are official threads only for positive impressions? are all negative impressions going to be considered trolls?
I'm pretty sure that this just implies to the verbal diarrhea that people instantly spew on Too Human and Dennis from the get go. Unabashed, hatred-filled diarrhea mind you.
Just to point out, trolling is the act of saying something you may or may not mean, not because it's what you think or because you want to say it, but because you want to trigger a negative reaction from people. Trolling against your own beliefs is less common, but to a dedicated troll nothing is sacred, not even himself.

Trolling is against the TOS. It's not allowed in this thread, and it wasn't allowed in any previous Too Human thread.

This thread is more than a no-trolling thread. It's an official thread combined with a heavily moderated love-thread, because for various reasons that we shouldn't go into, some people haven't felt comfortable expressing their optimism and enthusiasm for this game in other threads.

Pigeonholing those other reasons as "trolling" seems inaccurate, and Amir0x said recently that false accusations of trolling are a bannable offense. Not only that, but cheering this thread's protected status could be seen as trolling the trolls. A clever troll could act in this thread with impunity (at least, until the mods figured him out), so long as the haters were his target.

So yeah. It's not about trolling. It's just being on your best behavior. Sorry about any potential derailment. I just wanted to say that. Shutting up now.

[/backseat mod]

border said:
I will probably get Too Human at full price, but Radio Hut is having a sale on Music Group next week and that is pretty tempting. I hear that the ukulele solos on Expert are killer.

Don't get shocked, man.

ruby_onix said:
Trolling is against the TOS. It's not allowed in this thread, and it wasn't allowed in any previous Too Human thread.

This thread is more than a no-trolling thread. It's an official thread combined with a heavily moderated love-thread, because for various reasons that we shouldn't go into, some people haven't felt comfortable expressing their optimism and enthusiasm for this game in other threads.

[/backseat mod]

Seriously, go back through two years of too human threads and come back and tell us too human hasn't been trolled without consequences.

Negative impressions are welcome, but not the GIFs, the personal attacks, or the repeated slating of dyack's every word.

[/backseat mod]

Cheerilee

The Innocent X said:
Seriously, go back through two years of too human threads and come back and tell us too human hasn't been trolled without consequences.

Negative impressions are welcome, but not the GIFs, the personal attacks, or the repeated slating of dyack's every word.

[/backseat mod]
Things like parody GIFs and personal attacks aren't necessarily trolling though. I'm sure there was some trolling going on in all the mess, but nothing provable, and more overwhelmingly there was a general negativity that stifled positive discussions.

For instance, I don't think this guy was trolling, but that's the sort of thing that will obviously get you banned in this thread.

ruby_onix said:
Things like parody GIFs and personal attacks aren't necessarily trolling though. I'm sure there was some trolling going on in all the mess, but nothing provable, and more overwhelmingly there was a general negativity that stifled positive discussions.

For instance, I don't think this guy was trolling, but that's the sort of thing that will obviously get you banned in this thread.

Trolling is posting anything out of context or deliberately controversial in order to derail or turn the thread into an argument. In my mind, GIFs and personal attacks are trolling, as were the statements like "Anyone who likes this game based on this demo must be an idiot"

Anyway, lets drop it since we are derailing this thread now.

Raide

Are there any plans to have the NeoGAF Character Picture thread at some point?

Need to show off my Epic loot! :lol

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
SPEA said:
Hey Danthrax, if your interested in this for the OP, here is a pretty in depth Wiki. Tons of info.

http://toohuman.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Yeah I looked at it a day or two ago. I'm thinking about expanding the OP (when I have time) to include things like descriptions of the classes, bios of the characters in the story, etc.
If anyone wants to help with that, it would be great! ^_^

Truant said:
Any word on when the reviews start hitting?

Probably Friday, people in this thread have said that's when the embargo lifts.

TheHeretic said:
So setting the clock to 2009 on your 360 unlocks classes?

How in the hell did that happen?

Yeah Chrange said it doesn't necessarily have to be set to 2009, just past the release date probably. You may be able to advance your Xbox's calendar by a month and get the same results. Setting it ahead to 2009 definitely gets the job done though, in MGS3-like fashion. =P

MaddenNFL64

Danthrax said:
Yeah I looked at it a day or two ago. I'm thinking about expanding the OP (when I have time) to include things like descriptions of the classes, bios of the characters in the story, etc.
If anyone wants to help with that, it would be great! ^_^

I just read the bios in the wiki. They are goddamn detailed. Mythos & game information. Just sample a bit & link to the wiki bios (just the major chars. like Baldur, Heimdall, Thor, Loki etc.).

Top Bottom