• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve 23 min Kraken gameplay

Experien

I want this game so hard but it is feeling like the same as L4D (not the gameplay). Full-priced multiplayer mode.

x-Lundz-x

The game looks visually stunning, but the gameplay and game mode I just don't know. I'm going to have to hold off until reviews.

Krakn3Dfx

Way more interesting boss
than the one in the alpha was

Hopefully some of the maps we haven't seen are more interesting. This game has fallen pretty low on the list for me.

Coolwhip

Banned
First youtube comment:

I really hope this game fails because I just can't see how this game could possibly be fun unless you have your friends with you communicating and you organize yourselves against the monster. I mean, if you then balance it so that you don't need communication, then it becomes boring but if you balance it so that it needs communication then it becomes too much because then you can't enjoy it solo with randoms and the monster is just going to trample your ass to death.

Wooooooooooooooooow.

daman824

Game is incredibly fun to play. Easily the best game at sdcc.

Playing as both the monster and one of the hunters is awesome.

iNvid02

cant see the longevity in this game, seems like it would be fun initially but it could quickyl wear off, i guess the number of monsters will play a big part in that

Shogun1337

Maybe it has to be played, because yeah I'm not feeling it just watching the videos, they should release a demo.

Well, same thing with Destiny. Let's not jump on the I-hate-Evolve bandwagon just yet. Everyone was skeptical about Destiny until they played it; now they're dry humping it. I still haven't played it, therefore when I look at it, I'm still skeptical

First youtube comment:

I really hope this game fails because I just can't see how this game could possibly be fun unless you have your friends with you communicating and you organize yourselves against the monster. I mean, if you then balance it so that you don't need communication, then it becomes boring but if you balance it so that it needs communication then it becomes too much because then you can't enjoy it solo with randoms and the monster is just going to trample your ass to death.

Wooooooooooooooooow.
Welcome to Youtube, Coolwhip. Every game has to be like Call of Duty, some lone wolf agenda where you can be an asshole and then blame everyone else but yourself because nothing is your fault.

I am sure it will be identical to L4D's single player...IF it has it.

It's all one big area right? Its not like there are 5 separate sections of a campaign like L4D? I kinda doubt it has single player as well, I haven't heard anything about it.

I really like the concept and thought of playing as a monster, but hunter gameplay is not something I'm looking for. Also the thought of DLC monsters rubs me the wrong way.

If the game forces you to switch sides after each match, then there's no way I would want to buy it.

JetBlackPanda

Gold Member
This looks really really bad. If I showed this to someone who had never seen the game they would probably laugh. I love the idea of Left 4 dead against monsters and aliens but the monster gameplay just looks LOL worthy.

Arklite

Monster play seems bland, and it seems pretty obnoxious having to chase around the player controlled monster-bullet sponge all over the map for nearly half an hour. I agree though, it's probably something you have to play to appreciate.

Every video I see on this looks super novel, but I'm starting to get more and more suspicious as to how this retains my interest after a few matches.

How this game won any E3 awards by game journalists is beyond my understanding.

I have not heard a single word against the game from people who've played it, and plenty of regular people have had time with it at Comic-Cons recently.

It's likely one of those games that has to be played to enjoy. Titanfall gameplay looks boring, but playing it (until you get sick of the lack of modes) makes it out to be some of the, if not the, best mp shooter out there.

Other games that look boring to watch but enjoyable in play:

• Limbo
  • Dragon Age: Origins
  • Every RTS
  • Simulators
  • FTL
  • Red Dead Redemption

the fights are so endlessly drawn out and a clusterfuck of revives/fighting the dropship timer

l4d was so beautiful because fights could be over in seconds with good coordination (pull one away with the smoker, pounce a second, send in the boomer when they try to come save their teammates etc)
infected could all die very fast (but shooting the boomer could backfire horribly)

There was the witch and car alarms to help set ambushes and cause chaos, the horde of zombies when you get covered by the boomer vomit

The only thing that looks cool in this is the dome mechanic:\

Valkrai

My question is how the fuck this was uploaded, wasn't there a very strict NDA where you can't show any footage whatsoever?

MNC

Monster play seems bland, and it seems pretty obnoxious having to chase around the player controlled monster-bullet sponge all over the map for nearly half an hour. I agree though, it's probably something you have to play to appreciate.

It's essentially a boss fight where a player is the boss. You only have to chase the monster when you don't trap it; the Hunters can use a force field to trap the monster in an area effectively forcing it to fight. TurtleRock should be pretty good at balancing this stuff up and playtesting will definitely bring up these complaints of chasing and "boring gameplay".

I think they should make the monster perspective first person as well; gives it a better feel for attacking hunter players.

Shogun1337

the fights are so endlessly drawn out and a clusterfuck of revives/fighting the dropship timer

l4d was so beautiful because fights could be over in seconds with good coordination (pull one away with the smoker, pounce a second, send in the boomer when they try to come save their teammates etc)
infected could all die very fast (but shooting the boomer could backfire horribly)

There was the witch and car alarms to help set ambushes and cause chaos, the horde of zombies when you get covered by the boomer vomit

The only thing that looks cool in this is the dome mechanic:\

When the hell did the dev's say they were trying to make a L4D clone in which fights end in seconds? I think Evolve looks groundbreaking, as well as the direction they're taking with it, but it's hard to put into words.

Experien

It's all one big area right? Its not like there are 5 separate sections of a campaign like L4D? I kinda doubt it has single player as well, I haven't heard anything about it.

They claimed 12 maps...I don't know how all the maps are but from the videos they look like big maps but a lot of winding paths/walls to make the play area smaller?

MNC

I think the best gameplay demos for this would be to have a side by side view, see how both teams are experiencing things.

They claimed 12 maps...I don't know how all the maps are but from the videos they look like big maps but a lot of winding paths/walls to make the play area smaller?

That's what it looks like, maps seem huge though. I don't know I need to play this to see if I actually like it. Also I know people are going to keep comparing it to L4D but, I don't think that's fair when this game is trying to do something different.

Runus

I really had zero interest in this game until now. That video really looked fun though if you have some friends to play this with who actually work together. This one is definitely on my radar now.

Don't know since they've only shown the one map. The one they have shown off is a big area with some canyons, trees, cliffs, and structures to help create chokepoints and break the geography but overall it is incredibly open.
I think the best gameplay demos for this would be to have a side by side view, see how both teams are experiencing things.

IGN had a decent one from E3.

I also recall there being some footage streamed from a tournament at...PAX maybe? The reddit page for the game may have it, which by the way I recommend for folks to check out since the devs are very active on there and give out some nice tidbits every now and then.

I don't know how the game will be playing as hunter but monster gameplay seems pretty boring.

I love it. If the gameplay would be "go straight to the hunters group, spam abilities and mouse1 until they (or you) die", that would be boring.

But I love the concept of having to run away being hunted while getting xp and grow up, creep around, doing hit & run, confuse the enemy and then go for the objective while they don't notice it, etc.

Maps seem big and non-linear, so that's also good.

Top Bottom