• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra Book 3: Change |OT| SCHEDULEBENDING

Status
Not open for further replies.
G8vDUto.gif

Frog-fu

Banned
LoK thinks it can be mature by dealing with "mature" topics. Politics! War profiteering! Civil unrest! The show believes it can be grown up by just wearing dad's pants, but it rarely does the legwork to really complement the themes it's trying to push.

AtLA was so successful because it built this fantastic world with a really interesting and understandable backdrop that drove the main plot at all times. Then the show built well realized characters within this context. And it had these characters play off one another effectively so that AtLA's themes of understanding, empathy, friendship and forgiveness could be pushed. They're not "mature" themes on the surface like what LoK wraps itself in, but they're qualities every mature person would appreciate, and are the soul of the entire show. Much care and respect is given to them.

For example, look to how this thread was begging for Korra and her gang to split up so that each character could be apart from each other. It was that toxic, their interactions. The plot would struggle because everyone would be stupid and nothing could be built between them. Leaps of logic would happen all the time, and nobody learned. Contrast that to Aang and his friends: even when they would fight, there would be an impetus behind the argument which led to a resolution that makes sense within each respective character. And the plot was driven forward.

You hardly see that in the Legend of Korra. Mako in particular was a character leech for far too long before he became merely tolerable. Satch has a really good post detailing why he was so bad - if someone would be so kind to link it.

tumblr_m53ng13K1N1rxevt4o1_400.gif

Veelk

Banned
LoK thinks it can be mature by dealing with "mature" topics. Politics! War profiteering! Civil unrest! The show believes it can be grown up by just wearing dad's pants, but it rarely does the legwork to really complement the themes it's trying to push.

AtLA was so successful because it built this fantastic world with a really interesting and understandable backdrop that drove the main plot at all times. Then the show built well realized characters within this context. And it had these characters play off one another effectively so that AtLA's themes of understanding, empathy, friendship and forgiveness could be pushed. They're not "mature" themes on the surface like what LoK wraps itself in, but they're qualities every mature person would appreciate, and are the soul of the entire show. Much care and respect is given to them.

For example, look to how this thread was begging for Korra and her gang to split up so that each character could be apart from each other. Their interactions were that toxic. The plot would struggle because everyone would be stupid and nothing could be built between them. Leaps of logic would happen all the time, and nobody learned. Contrast that to Aang and his friends: even when they would fight, there would be an impetus behind the argument which led to a resolution that makes sense within each respective character. And the plot was driven forward.

You hardly see that in the Legend of Korra. Mako in particular was a character leech for far too long before he became merely tolerable. Satch has a really good post detailing why he was so bad - if someone would be so kind to link it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=123407705&postcount=5966

I'm sure everyone here already knows that Asami is the light of my life, the fire of my loins, etc.

That being said, as much as I love her, she's not faring much better for similar reasons: the lack of agency, and then they don't flesh out her motivations.

The most glaring form of this is throughout basically the entirety of book 2, where her role and her storyline are hijacked to flesh out the male characters around her - Varrick and Mako. Asami is made the passenger in a plot about the safety and stability of the company that she inherited from her father. She's got the pieces in place to start her own personal journey, but that subplot isn't about her, really. It's about learning that Mako is a great detective, and about how he will go the distance to find out the truth, even if it's in conflict with the ideals of his job. That Mako, right?

Asami follows Mako to the triads and we don't get to see any form of resistance? She's just there to accompany him because Mako has an idea that these same types of people that killed Asami's mother - these same types of people that triggered the event that would allow Hiroshi's anger to fester for a decade and then blossom into a breed of hatred that burns so hot and so brightly that it blinds him as he attempts to crush and maim and mangle his daughter in his wife's (her mother!!!) name - have a way to help her company. We don't get to explore any kind of reluctance? She just follows? She accepts help from these people? She's as good as a lamp until she has to drive them both to safety in a scene that's reminiscent of literally every badass sidekick chick scene in every action movie ever (and then the sidekick chick goes on to be nothing short of worthless the rest of the movie until she has one more moment and then is worthless again). This is about Mako and his inhibitions about working with Triads after getting out of all of that gang shit and being directly at odds with it now that he's a cop.

Next she... breaks down or whatever, and the way they express her vulnerability is through having her kiss Mako, because Mako is representative of Resolve and Reason in this subplot, both things that Asami apparently lacks. And he rejects her, then takes her later, then kisses his ex in front of a group of people THEN IN FRONT OF HER, and she doesn't even say anything. Amazing! Amazing. And this is after Mako puts the pieces together and Asami is happily signing her life away to Varrick because she's desperate and dumb I guess, and can't realize that she's being played by this guy at all, even though Mako's practically been laying it out in front of her all this time.

I don't know if anyone remembers this, but when Mako went to jail and Bolin came to visit, Bolin told Mako that Asami couldn't bring herself to visit him in jail because it reminded her of her imprisoned father. Like... we couldn't explore that with Asami? Bolin had to speak for her on this? It was absolutely shameless. That scene alone is the tl;dr version of how they treat Asami Sato's role in her story. Amazing.

Asami is a female character that has an incredible journey she needs to conquer. She has to live up to the greatness of the Sato name, and yet she has to cut herself from it so that she may rebuild it in her image, not her father's. Like Katara, or even Zuko, her story intersects with the Avatar's, but is also independent of it. She has to learn to carve her own path and build a better Future [Industries]. But she can't, because she has to take a backseat first to Mako, and then to Varrick, who essentially usurps her role as the engineer. She plays second fiddle to him. It'll be a miracle if we get to see Asami Sato, CEO of Future Industries, whose father was an inventor and innovator and likely trained Asami most of her life to take on this role someday (but not so soon, since she's a baby in corporate years), invent anything. And we don't need to. Because Varrick does that! But she can be relegated to Appa-tier transportation without the Appa-tier affection. And I guess she can fight or something, but she's not going to get put in the vicinity of any real danger (unlike Sokka), lest she be willing to die a quick death. You know, like when the writers fridged Asami's mother.

Basically, I wouldn't point to either Korra or Asami as positive female role models because of how weakly they're written in the context of the story. Asami is slightly ahead though, if only for the fact that she respects Korra enough as a person to not make a move on Mako while they're still together.
pDI3X.gif

This kinda ties into why I don't like Mako. He weakens Korra's story and he weakens Asami's story. Too many moments of greatness that either of them could have are wasted on his character. Amon compliments the bending of ONE PERSON the entire time he was active in the show, and who does he give that compliment to? Mako. SHAMELESS.

That's why I'm always mad about him in here even when he does things that are completely innocuous.
9deUP.gif

edit: omfg this post is so long and its about a cartoon character im a mess

Astral Dog

A new quote from the same person that leaked the earlier episode:

"The nature of my work has involved many journeys into the spirit world. According to tradition I have always left my physical body guarded by a close friend in the Order. This ancient tradition - spiritual journeyer paired with physical observer - is as old as the age of the Avatar. It is ostensibly to ensure my body’s physical safety. The true purpose of the practice is to guard against a much more sinister threat. While my spirit is on its journey, an ambitious spirit may seek habitation within my body.

A rogue spirit moves through unwilling flesh like venom. Ancient records show that victims of possession exhibit signs of delirium when they awaken, as the foreign spirit attempts to assert control over the body. My guardian in the physical world watches for these signs. In the event of my possession, I must be prevented from deceiving my fellows within the Order, or all we are working for might be lost. My physical body must be destroyed. It is critical, therefore, that my guardians be chosen such that they know me personally, yet would have no compunctions against ending me for the greater good. Only the most fanatical members of the Order are entrusted with such a task. A young acolyte from the north with an interest in airbender philosophy is proving to be a promising candidate.

—The Journals of Xai Bau

Satch

Banned

"The nature of my work has involved many journeys into the spirit world. According to tradition I have always left my physical body guarded by a close friend in the Order. This ancient tradition - spiritual journeyer paired with physical observer - is as old as the age of the Avatar. It is ostensibly to ensure my body’s physical safety. The true purpose of the practice is to guard against a much more sinister threat. While my spirit is on its journey, an ambitious spirit may seek habitation within my body.

A rogue spirit moves through unwilling flesh like venom. Ancient records show that victims of possession exhibit signs of delirium when they awaken, as the foreign spirit attempts to assert control over the body. My guardian in the physical world watches for these signs. In the event of my possession, I must be prevented from deceiving my fellows within the Order, or all we are working for might be lost. My physical body must be destroyed. It is critical, therefore, that my guardians be chosen such that they know me personally, yet would have no compunctions against ending me for the greater good. Only the most fanatical members of the Order are entrusted with such a task. A young acolyte from the north with an interest in airbender philosophy is proving to be a promising candidate.

—The Journals of Xai Bau

didnt Asami watch Korra's body in the latest episode
OGq50.gif
OGq50.gif
OGq50.gif
OGq50.gif
OGq50.gif
OGq50.gif
OGq50.gif
OGq50.gif
OGq50.gif
OGq50.gif
OGq50.gif
OGq50.gif
OGq50.gif
OGq50.gif
OGq50.gif
OGq50.gif
OGq50.gif
OGq50.gif

Hero

I respectfully disagree. The crew in in LOK are more balanced and not as overpowered as in ATLA.

Azula is a great villain but I prefer Amon over her as he wasn't as crazy and a typical villain compared to her.

Main characters:

Korra > Mako > Bolin > Toph > Aang > Sokka > Asami > Katara

Villains:

Amon > Azula > Zaheer > Zuko

Worst opinion ever?

I'm still pissed that Bryke wasted Mako's character with stupid romance.

When I first saw him at Comic-Con '11 he was already a fav.

I wanted to like him SOOOO BAD.

Fuck.

Flandy

Can we just have a series dedicated to Azula that takes place like 5 years after Sozins comet? I haven't read the comics so I don't actually know if that would be possible :p

Can we just have a series dedicated to Azula that takes place like 5 years after Sozins comet? I haven't read the comics so I don't actually know if that would be possible :p

That'd possibly be doable, I think. From what I recall, her whereabouts are unknown.

Open question to errbody, if we were getting a new Avatar series in a few season would you one

A) want them to jump further into time (male earthbender)
B) go back to an previous unnamed Avatar (could be anything)
C) go back all the way to the beginning and tell the story of Wan

An adult male earth bending avatar. I don´t want another teenage angst shit fest.

hmmmm

i really don't think this can all end in 2 episodes tbh...

Was it ever confirmed if this storyline would end here or not? Maybe they will keep it going until season 4 and let the storyline breath and develop more. I wouldn't mind if they ended season 3 with why they want Korra so badly. It better be for a good reason though haha

Amazing.

—The Journals of Xai Bau

While that has very interesting implications
(particularly given the title of the finale)
, who is
Xai Bau
?

zulux21

hmmmm

i really don't think this can all end in 2 episodes tbh...

really it wouldn't be that hard to do.

korra arrives, start battle with bad guys... learn why they are doing what they are doing -ep 12
finish battle with bad guys... learn that the red lotus has a boss and the mission won't end just because they were defeated - episode 13

season 4 deal with the red lotus as an organization and ultimately defeat the leader of the red lotus to end the series.

Was it ever confirmed if this storyline would end here or not? Maybe they will keep it going until season 4 and let the storyline breath and develop more. I wouldn't mind if they ended season 3 with why they want Korra so badly. It better be for a good reason though haha

they said at the start each season was to be self contained (so at the very least a new main bad guy with each season) there is a chance they changed their mind, but it seems unlikely at this time.

Satch

Banned

korra arrives, start battle with bad guys... learn why they are doing what they are doing -ep 12
finish battle with bad guys... learn that the red lotus has a boss and the mission won't end just because they were defeated - episode 13

season 4 deal with the red lotus as an organization and ultimately defeat the leader of the red lotus to end the series.
this is what i think will happen

Not really a bold prediction since it's a pretty standard device in fiction, but I expect at least one member of the Red Lotus to mutiny against Zaheer and help team avatar during the finale.

rexor0717

As long as I get to see more Ghazan, I'll be ok with whatever. Also, that ending fight scene was probably my favorite of the season, and this season has set a really high bar for that.

Joeytj

Banned

—The Journals of Xai Bau

My god... wow.

Do not highlight that quote. It doesn't spoil exactly what happens in the finale, but it does indeed make this the best season of Korra, and possibly one of the best in Avatar.

ameleco

—The Journals of Xai Bau

So basically,
Zaheer will try to take over Korra's body, hence the title of the last episode, the venom of the red lotus. And I also assume that the quote refers to Zaheer when it mentions "acolyte from the north"?

Mariolee

My god... wow.

Do not highlight that quote. It doesn't spoil exactly what happens in the finale, but it does indeed make this the best season of Korra, and possibly one of the best in Avatar.

What? Hype. Haven't read it, but man you better not be full of crap.

they said at the start each season was to be self contained (so at the very least a new main bad guy with each season) there is a chance they changed their mind, but it seems unlikely at this time.

I don't really consider that self-contained, though, which is fine. It's what I've been hoping for. If the next season deals with the Red Lotus, then they are finally letting Korra breath a little. I'm happy enough to potentially see the storyline brought back in season 4.

Joeytj

Banned
What? Hype. Haven't read it, but man you better not be full of crap.

Dude... the last sentence of that quote is a big spoiler about a character and the rest of it pretty much explains the title of the last episode and...

It tells us what Zaheer plans to do with Korra.

Of course, if those quotes are indeed real. It's from the same tumblr account that leaked Episode 10.

Hamlet

Leaked quote

Hmm interesting stuff ,
Guess we know what Zaheers plan for Korra is now.
Wonder what the odds are that'll he leak an episode again. Then again i'm sure Amazon will be putting the episodes 10 hours early yet again.

Sounds about right, I still have a niggling feeling that Toph is going to show up in some form though.

Katara was insufferable.

And yes I agree! Korra > Aang; Amon > everybody.

i'll definitely say asami/korra whoever and bolin >>>> katara and sokka.

the latter got better quality episodes but bolin is funnier than sokka ever was and katara was always annoying.

and zuko was a terrible villain. i think y'all give him a pass just because he went good and became a protagonist later on. we had like 2 books of him whining about his father's love.

Azula tho...my queen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom