• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I'll review it soon, laugh was able to help me secure one.

I'm interested in the other one (HSAI) now as well, some people on SRK ordered it and I'll wait for them to conduct some tests before I give it a whirl.

You would think the PS2/PS3 USB converters designed for use with music games (The Ant Commandos) would have no lag... but they're still backseat to the REAL and Pelican :lol !

alisdair

Oh, man. If anyone else was thinking of pad-hacking a stick for the 360, realise that new wireless controllers have a common ground. That basically means that connecting a joystick to the D-pad on the PCB is now really easy, instead of requiring a converter circuit or some serious PCB hacking.

If I had found that out a few months ago, I'd have actually finished my wireless stick by now instead of putting it off. Maybe I'll finally do it this weekend!

See this post on SRK for how to tell if your wireless 360 pad has common ground.

Hey guys, quick question. Got a custom stick coming in, and all of a sudden, once its built of course, I got people swearing up and down that the Sanwa JLF with an octagonal restrictor is garbage, and I'm hearing everything from it increases the throw (from neutral to gate apparently) to it reducing it, to any which way. Can you guys give me a straight answer as to whether or not I'm going to have to end up wasting money and removing the restrictor?

ArcadEd

Snapshot,
I don't think you ordered from me, but if you did I send the original square restrictor with the stick if you order the octo gate.

In other news.
PS3/360 sticks are now available on the site. I tried hard to get the price at $199 but I just couldn't do it. The labor involved is almost as much as doing 2 sticks. They are starting at $219.

www.arcadeinabox.com

Thanks all.

FoxSpirit

MarkMan said:
I'll review it soon, laugh was able to help me secure one.

I'm interested in the other one (HSAI) now as well, some people on SRK ordered it and I'll wait for them to conduct some tests before I give it a whirl.

You would think the PS2/PS3 USB converters designed for use with music games (The Ant Commandos) would have no lag... but they're still backseat to the REAL and Pelican :lol !

Did you know you can use a normal S-Joybox 3 on the PS3? I recently used one at my friends place as PS3 converter in SCIV after not figuring out how to use the bought PS3 converter. Turned out we had to set them up through the ingame menu.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
ArcadEd said:
In other news.
PS3/360 sticks are now available on the site. I tried hard to get the price at $199 but I just couldn't do it. The labor involved is almost as much as doing 2 sticks. They are starting at $219.

That's a pretty expensive stick... but next month when I have saved enough - I'll be there.

Question that I can't seem to find answered on your site. Do I get choose which color buttons you put in?

For all the people who wanted to buy my DC Ascii optical sticks... there's one on ebay now for a decent price (a little over $100 after shipping), looks like it's in great condition (and complete too). Don't forget to use MSN Live Search for cash back with paypal...

ArcadEd

Tigro,
You need to go with the custom version. The reason the custom version costs a little more is because I only buy red, black and white button in large bulk. All other colors I buy in small quantity when I need them, hence the higher price.

Ed

BigDubs

Cheers to MarkMan for creating this thread.

Inspired by some of the awesome sticks created I'm now having a go at doing my own.

Padhacking a 360 wired pad has been fun even if the sheer amount of wires all over the place look like a dogs breakfast :lol I'm off to buy a router next and try my hand at box construction. I've got a feeling the hardest is yet to come.

Looking forward to posting my efforts here soon.

For those doing 360 arcade sticks, is the hori button layout the best or will I encounter frustration with this layout in non button-mappable games?

Nikorasu

Well I finally did it. My parts came in today to I sat down and a few (many) short (painful) hours later I was staring at this: (forgive shitty picture, its 11pm and horrible lighting)

snapshot20080828223339tz3.png

Seimitsu buttons and ball top + Sanwa octagonal gate. I just tried a few rounds of SF3 with it and DAMN what a difference! I could pull off any move effortlessly. The sensitivity is incredible. Totally made it all worth it.

Its not the prettiest thing out there because obviously I didn't bother with custom art. I'm kind of disappointed in my own laziness but I actually don't mind the look. Maybe next time.
I actually kind of freaked myself out a bit cutting the connectors. I swore I mutilated those things beyond repair. I want to find the person who designed the pcb and set him on fire. :lol
I think I'll try my hand at a full custom stick sometime.

Whatever, bring on SF4!

EDIT: On second thought, it wouldn't be too much trouble to desolder the buttons again so I can add some artwork. All of the really painful stuff is pretty much a one time only thing. I'll do that over the weekend.
*goes off to pick some nice arts*

I decided to mod my HRAP2 SA and fit some seimitsu parts seeing as I already have a VSHG (full sanwa).

1z4v6hl.jpg

nvt7jd.jpg

I Just wish the color of the turbo dips matched the white look.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Couldn't resist posting this in this thread. A custom stick from my good friend TMO:

TMOFinal.jpg

TMOFinal5.jpg

TMO said:
Specifications:

• Case is built from Morado hardwood with a hand-rubbed polyurethane mirror finish

• Sony PS2 Dual Shock 2 PCB

• Sanwa JLF joystick with under mounted dust cover

• Seimitsu PS-14-K snap in buttons

• Bull nosed and flame polished plexiglass top panel with plexiglass screws

• TMO Signature plexiglass bottom panel

• Wired to a terminal strip and quick disconnects

Tim does such amazing work it's not even funny. Truly talented in hand craft design.

I'm thinking about getting a stick from Ed, so my first question is for you. Do the 360/PS3 sticks work with PS2 games (SF Anniversary specifically) on the PS3?

General Question: I have no idea what my preferences are for button layout/type or type of stick. I am planning to go to a few arcades over the next few weeks. Any suggestions on machines I should look for that will give me a feel for the different types of sticks? I can plainly see the layout and button type on the machine, but the gate and stick are things I'm not sure about.

Any other suggestions are welcome, I just don't think I'm up to modding my own stick and Ed's prices seem reasonable. Anyone bought one from him and have a review?

Edit: How is the X-Arcade Tank Stick? I've thought about getting it for an arcade cab and then getting a custom stick later. Thoughts?

Another Ascii FT stick is up on ebay, this time it's the Capcom version (though not complete, just stick only). Still not a bad price with a BIN @ a little under $100 shipped (and if you BIN make sure you use MSN Live Search!).

Does the USB connector on the inpin have a locking mechanism? I've got the REAL which is really lose and falls out of the socket with little or no effort.

Glix

Hey everyone. I tried to read a lot of the pages, but there is a ton here, so sorry if any of this is covered already.

I am looking for a stick for Street Fighter 2, alpha, 4, 2HD etc. playing. I don't play many other fighters.

I will also be using the stick for a lot of Ms. Pac Man, which is a disgrace with both the dpad, and stick, almost unplayable for me.

I also like shumps, but that is less important to me, than the two games above.

My girlfriend is an art major, who is taking industrial design classes too this semster, so I thought, building/customizing a stick would be a great project that we could both be excited for. I can solder.

What would the GSE (Gaf stick experts :D ) recommend for someone with little experience at this? Customizing, or building from scratch?

Do I need to be able to to more than just solder?

Glix, slagcoin has a nice tutorial if you intend to go the full custom route. You should be able to gauge whether it's doable or not for you and your SO just by reading it.
I definitely want to build my own stick when this semester is over.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So.
I don't know shit about arcade sticks.
The only thing I know is that I want one.

I've browsed nearly this entire thread.
From I've gathered one of the most popular solutions for the 360 is to buy the Hori stick and then add some different parts. It doesn't look too difficult.. but is that actually the case? I'm pretty good at following instructions etc..

purg3

slept with Malkin
Adding new buttons involves soldering as the stock ones are connected directly to the pcb. So if you're comfortable soldering it should be a pretty painless mod. Or just pay someone to mod it for you.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I am looking for a hori ex2 at any brick and mortar store. I cannot find the anywhere at all. My last choice is to go online but I would rather pick one up from the store. Every place I call has no idea what I am talking about and even my local store where I get my games from now and then doesnt have any and has none on order. Let me give you some back story. I would rather get a ps3 stick however it will cost 150 to get my blu-ray drive fixed and I am not trying to shell out for that right now. I have been playing soul calibur 4 and sf2 on the 360 and will want to play hd remix when that comes out. My plan is to get a hori ex2 mod it to work with the ps2 also and get an adapter for ps2 to ps3. All the tools I need to mod I have with me here at school and have done a lot of soldering(computer engineering major) and modding of other things.

Is the ex2 my only stock 360 option and where is it???? I cant even find the soul calibur one in stores.

I am in the DC/MD/VA area.

Lost my snow white pad a year ago and I have endured a DS2 + converter setup ever since.

So I ordered four of them just in case.

But more importantly, these pads are the business, ask anyone and you'll surely find them all in agreement that it's a benchmark for pads. At 9.99 per pad it's a steal.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
kurahadol said:
Wish a saturn pad would come out on 360 :/

I also wish that these came in single instead of 2 packs.

There were a bunch of single BINs before I started posting about it on more forums ;x

There were 6 BINs earlier now zero. X_X

kurahadol

Hopefully more show up, I'm going to keep checking back from time to time, need a good gamepad since now all I really have is my ps2 and ps3 pads.

Vinsanity

isamu said:
Couldn't resist posting this in this thread. A custom stick from my good friend TMO:

...pics of awesome sticks...

Tim does such amazing work it's not even funny. Truly talented in hand craft design.
Man, I'd love a stick from TMO, but last I remember, they stopped making sticks. Tell him there's at least one guy here waiting for his next batch.

There's some Saturn USB/PS3 pads up now, buy it now for $20 shipped, just nabbed one. Any simple adapter for getting these working on a PS2?

Good call on the PC/PS3 Saturn pads. I rushed out and ordered some last week on Ebay when Markman posted pics of his. Hope they're in the mail when I get back home.

donkey show said:
Good call on the PC/PS3 Saturn pads. I rushed out and ordered some last week on Ebay when Markman posted pics of his. Hope they're in the mail when I get back home.

Ha, well I'm beyond broke and have resisted buying a hell of a lot of things lately but a USB Saturn pad for £10 was just a step too far. Not missing my chance to nab one again, they were like gold dust just a month ago and could well be again within the month.

kurahadol said:
Just bought one for $20 shipped, can't wait to give this a go. Now someone give me an awesome pad for 360 and I'll be in heaven.

The fact that the 360 uses USB controllers but my Driving Force Pro and (now) Saturn USB pad won't work annoys me no end. If you're lock your customers out of using their devices then at least come up with some sort of alternative. If someone could come up with a cheap device to strip the 360's peripherals DRM they'd be a God amongst men.

taku

_dementia said:
taku I hate you and your green haze camera.

[/jealousy]

Where did you order those beauties from?
I got my beauties from akihabarashop, of course! Suuuuper quick delivery as well!

nevsan

Reading this thread and playing lots of arcade titles recently has really got me thirsting for an arcade stick. Loving some of these custom jobs and could never afford one of thos :(

Interested in getting an arcade-in-a-box and one that plays MAME/360/PS3. I live in the UK so all in all its would be quite expensive at $300+

Oh and how much would customs sting me for? crumbs I wish someone here in the UK did this so I wouldn't have to import...

If I'm going to spend that much I need to see better pictures of these sticks with good artwork on that also give a much needed sense of scale. Anyone here got some sexy examples?

CPS2

The only way to get those working on a PS2 or PS3 is to get a new PCB. There aren't any adapters that can do it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom