• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Nintendo DS: Camera, Music Playback and confirmed by Nikkei

neo2046

source from Nikkei newspaper and www.monex.co.jp
(* the news is fake unless these 2 sources are also photoshopped)

Nintendo DS Next model
- (digital) Camera included
- music playback function
- Wireless connection function power up
- larger screen
- to be released this year in Japan
- under 20000 yen
- new types of games by using the camera
- get/exchange data from Wii and SD card (SD card slot included?)

任天堂がDS新型機、カメラ音楽再生機能付き 2万円以下で
2008/09/28, 02:00, 日経速報ニュース, 620文字

任天堂は年内に携帯型ゲーム機「ニンテンドーDS」の新型機を投入する。ゲーム機では
初めてカメラを標準装備し、音楽再生もできる。無線通信機能を強化し情報端末としての
利用も促す。DSは発売から4年で、全世界の販売台数が7700万台に達した。新型機は
ゲーム業界の枠を超え、携帯電話機などとも競合することになりそうだ。

カメラで撮影した画像をゲームに活用するなど使い方を広げる。音楽再生について、CDなど
から楽曲を記録装置に取り込んで聞くことができるようにする見通し。

価格は現行の1万6800円とほぼ同程度の2万円以下とするもよう。まず国内で数十万台規模を
先行販売し、海外での発売も検討する。

EDIT: source from Nikkei Net & Yomiuri
http://www.nikkei.co.jp/news/main/20080928AT1D2701J27092008.html
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/entertainment/news/20080928-OYT1T00569.htm?from=main4

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Megaton!

But I doubt crazy anti-piracy Nintendo would be for music playback.

Is this a revision like the DS Lite or is this the DS2? If it's DS2, I highly doubt it, especially since it's supposed to come out this year.

Hive

Banned
kiruyama said:
Why would they make a larger screen

Wouldn't that just make the current DS games look bad, specifically the 2D ones?

does having the larger screen on the DS make GBA games look bad? Nintendo isn't going to have a larger screen if it stretches the resolution of current DS games~ :/

So is this why there is a two day event next week? Pretty cool if true, but you'd think they'd hold off on a NA unveiling until next year since sales are so high for the DS Lite right now.

Darklord

Banned
Death_Born said:
WTF

This had better be fake. Especially if it's about the DS2. Camera gimmick games? WTF.

The DS2 won't be out for a long time. I really can't see them including a Camera, imagine a camera released with the DS at launch. It would be so outdated and crap by now.

They would have to make it a 5mp one at least but then it would cost too much.

neo2046 said:
Nintendo DS Next model
- larger screen
- under 20000 yen

Wouldn't surprise me. Nintendo has to keep PMPs and Phones from eating its lunch.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
comedy bomb said:
So is it the Nintendo DS Next, or is it the next Nintendo DS? I'm confused if this is a whole new system or another revision.

seems like another revision...

@WindYoshi
:lol

There's also the games using the camera wouldn't be playable on the original DS models.

"This" DS to the original one sounds like GBColor to the original GB...

Darklord

Banned
neo2046 said:
Nintendo DS Next model
- larger screen
- under 20000 yen

You know what? Looking at this, I KNOW it is a fake.

1. Everyone has a camera or camera phone. The camera would also be dated too quickly.
2. Almost everyone has an MP3 player.
3. Releasing it this year when DS lite sales are still massive? Why?
4. Restricting games to people with only the new DS? I can't see that.
5. SD slot? With the crazy amount of piracy on the DS they would make it easier? No chance in hell.
6. Both the DS and Wii have been so big because it is a casual GAMING system. Why add multimedia crap that they won't care about?

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
There's also the games using the camera wouldn't be playable on the original DS models.

They did release a standalone camera with that makeup software. I bet this potential camera uses the exact same tech.

Guled said:
right now its leaking, its not affecting software sales like it is on the psp

The R4 it's spreading like a virus, and Nintendo it's trying to stop imports of R4 in Japan, I think it's more than a mere leaking...

Eteric Rice

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

"This" DS to the original one sounds like GBColor to the original GB...

They could potentially make it an add on.

Anyway, if they added an SD card slot, couldn't they disable it from running any game software? Just let it run images, music, etc?

Xav

I don't give two shits about the camera or music player but if it offers more comfort than the DS Lite then you got my attention Nintendo. If not then I'm happily sticking with my DS Lite. Wouldn't it be cool if a new model had hardware texture flitering.

cw_sasuke

Eteric Rice said:
Anyway, if they added an SD card slot, couldn't they disable it from running any game software? Just let it run images, music, etc?

Maybe for VC Games ?

MisterHero

PLEASE BE TRUE

Death_Born said:
WTF

This had better be fake. Especially if it's about the DS2. Camera gimmick games? WTF.
Screw you, do you know how long I've wanted another GameBoy Camera game? :D

Darklord

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:
The R4 it's spreading like a virus, and Nintendo it's trying to stop imports of R4 in Japan, I think it's more than a mere leaking...

DS games are being pirated almost as much as PC games. Every single game is easily downloaded with no cracks or fixes to do. It is effecting sales but there are so many DS's around that it would be hard to tell because the numbers are big, they just aren't as big as they should be.

Relaxed Muscle said:

I don't think it's that at all. The "toothpick trick" certainly didn't hasten the PS1's curtain call. The simple fact of the matter is that the more successful and popular a given piece of hardware is, the more prolific the presence of piracy will be.

It's not until you get to Sega Dreamcast levels of piracy ease that things go a bit wobbly; no modchips, no extra hardware, just the internet, a CD burner and $1 for a blank disc.

cvxfreak

The inclusion of multimedia functionality can also be a response to the resurgance of PSP sales in Japan, as well as the iPod touch/iPhone's App Store. Hearing all these details though, it sounds like Nintendo would keep the DS Lite around longer than they did the original model for obvious reasons. Maybe the DSL's price will finally be dropped.

ksamedi

Seems very plausible. It sounds like a DS model for seniors or older people which would make sense. These people could buy a DS for Brain Training, Face Training and Touch generation games. The music playback would make sense too since these people usually don't have MP3 players.

Darklord

Banned
ksamedi said:
Seems very plausible. It sounds like a DS model for seniors or older people which would make sense. These people could buy a DS for Brain Training, Face Training and Touch generation games. The music playback would make sense too since these people usually don't have MP3 players.

Seniors would have no interest in a camera or music playback.

cw_sasuke

dragonlife29 said:
DS is still a beast so I don't believe Nintendo will make any more revisions/DS2 until much, MUCH later.

this could be something like a higher end ds for 149 , where the ds lite would become the entrance model for a lil less money...

Darklord said:
Only seniors play touch generation games confirmed !!!

ksamedi

Darklord said:

That depends on what kind of software Nintendo will release with it. You already have a face training game using the camera. And music playback is certainly of interest for everyone.

Darklord

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
Only seniors play touch generation games confirmed !!!

So you just didn't even bother reading the post I quoted then? Cool.

ksamedi said:
That depends on what kind of software Nintendo will release with it. You already have a face training game using the camera. And music playback is certainly of interest for everyone.

Old people aren't into all those things like camera and music playback. They wouldn't care about a camera, they'd be happy with the DS lite and it's braintraining games and other simple things like that.

Most probably would have no idea it could play music anyway or how to get it on the DS.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ksamedi said:

No it doesnt

cw_sasuke

Darklord said:
So you just didn't even bother reading the post I quoted then? Cool.

Your statement isn`t wrong - but still... it`s not like only music playback and a camera wouldn`t be used by non-seniors :D

wsippel

Banned
Well, maybe we'll see an announcement next week. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new DS revision anytime soon, and the specs seem somewhat plausible. A DS2, however, won't happen for a while. Maybe 2010 or something. The current DS is "good enough" for at least two more years.

Also, given the colossal success of the DS this generation, I'm pretty sure Nintendo would announce the next DS to a much, much, much larger fanfare.

Darklord

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
Your statement isn`t wrong - but still... it`s not like only music playback and a camera wouldn`t be used by non-seniors :D

Most non-seniors already have a good camera and MP3 play though, why would they need a second? It would have to have a 5mp camera with a flash to be worth a damn by the time it was released but that would cost a lot to put in.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Some of you need to understand that if one of the specs is "larger screen", it is fake.

No redesign of the current DS will ever have a larger screen.

The DS2, sure, but not a redesign.

And the DS2 is NOT coming out in Japan in the next 3 months.

Top Bottom