• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 09/22 - 09/28

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
MC-THREAD-SOFTWARE-TITLE.png

1. [PS2] Super Robot Taisen Z (Namco Bandai) 366,493 / NEW
2. [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon Co.) 195,479 / 1,474,000
3. [NDS] Rhythm Tengoku Gold (Nintendo) 65,257 / 852,000
4. [NDS] World Destruction: Michibi Kareshi Ishi (SEGA) 55,938 / NEW
5. [PS2] Kinnikuman Muscle Grand Prix Max 2 Tokumori (Namco Bandai) 35,240 / NEW

6. [NDS] Dragon Ball: Origins (Namco Bandai) 29,879 / 102,000
7. [PS3] Cross Edge (Compile Heart) 22,386 / NEW
8. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) 21,261 / 2,684,000
9. [PS3] Aquanaut's Holiday: Kakusareta Kiroku (SCEI) 17,646 / NEW
10. [WII] Disaster: Day of Crisis (Nintendo) 14,310 / NEW

11. [NDS] Daigasso! Band Brothers DX (Nintendo)
12. [PSP] Mana Khemia Portable (Gust)
13. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
14. [PS3] Trusty Bell (Namco Bandai)
15. [NDS] Quiz Magic Academy (Konami)
16. [NDS] Knights in the Nightmare (Sting)
17. [PSP] Hitman Reborn (Marvelous)
18. [PSP] Shinobido PSP (Spike)
19. [WII] Soul Eater: Montone Princess (Square Enix)
20. [NDS] Intuition! (Rocket)
21. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo)
22. [PS2] Haruka Nogizaka's Secret: Cosplay Has Started (ASCII Media Works)
23. [WII] One Piece Unlimited Cruise: Episode 1 (Namco Bandai)
24. [PS2] J-League Winning Eleven 2008 Club Championship (Konami)
25. [NDS] Dragon Quest V (Square Enix)
26. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (SEGA)
27. [NDS] Taiko Drum Master 2: The Seven Island Adventure (Namco Bandai)
28. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
29. [WII] Sim City Creator (Electronic Arts)
30. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven (Level 5)

31. [NDS] Fire Emblem: New Shadow Dragons and the Blade of Light (Nintendo)
32. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
33. [NDS] U-Can Pen Ji Training DS (SEGA)
34. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo)
35. [NDS] Beautiful Letter Training DS (Nintendo)
36. [360] Infinite Undiscovery (Square Enix)
37. [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable (SEGA)
38. [PS3] Afrika (SCEI)
39. [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo)
40. [360] Tales of Vesperia (Namco Bandai)
41. [WII] Bomberman Party Edition (Hudson)
42. [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Portable 3 (Konami)
43. [NDS] Kumatanchi (Bear girl) (Dimple Entertainment)
44. [PS2] Hokuoki: Shinsengumi Kitan (Idea Factory)
45. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo)
46. [PS2] Sugar + Spice! Anoko no Suteki na Nanimokamo (Everything as lovely as this) (Alchemist)
47. [NDS] Kanji Brain 2 + Dictionary (IE Institute)
48. [PS2] True Fortune (Enterbrain)
49. [NDS] Brain Training 2 (Nintendo)
50. [NDS] Observation Training (Nintendo)

NDS - 21
WII - 10
PS2 - 7
PSP - 6
PS3 - 4
360 - 2

MC-THREAD-HARDWARE-TITLE.png

Code:
[B][U]Hardware | This Week | Last Week | Last 4 Weeks |    YTD    |    LTD [/U][/B]     
DS       |    57,847 |    61,242 |      234,360 | 2,364,406 | 23,537,464
WII      |    26,314 |    29,921 |      119,049 | 2,190,158 |  6,806,297
PSP      |    25,671 |    28,674 |      118,963 | 2,783,200 | 10,448,277
360      |    11,291 |    13,777 |       54,300 |   188,895 |    696,236
PS2      |     9,848 |     7,720 |       33,185 |           | 
PS3      |     8,275 |     8,156 |       32,801 |   682,250 |  2,323,926

MC-THREAD-CSCHARTS-TITLE.png

MC-THREAD-HHCHARTS-TITLE.png

MC-THREAD-PASTWEEKS-TITLE.png

Media Create Sales: 09/15 - 09/21
Media Create Sales: 09/08 - 09/14
Media Create Sales: 09/01 - 09/07
Media Create Sales: 08/25 - 08/31
Media Create Sales: 08/18 - 08/24

MC-THREAD-NOTES-TITLE.png

• Software numbers are typically posted on Wednesday nights at about midnight Eastern.
• Hardware numbers are typically posted Thursday nights at about 9:20 PM Eastern.
• Historic Famitsu Data Compiled by Garaph.
• All charts belong to LotusCharts and will be linked accordingly.

Jonnyram

It's like Monolithsoft is destined to always be a victim of bad marketing. Not that the game is any good in this case, but they never seem to have much success with their games, no matter how good they are.

markatisu

Thats great, people are going to be calling it a bomb but its #10...the benefits of a slow week I guess :lol

I wonder what the LTD will be, next week will show I guess if it falls off completely or has some legs similar to Wario and Fatal Frame IV

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Is it really a Disaster if we saw it coming? I mean, we all knew it was going to do badly. I predicted sub-20k, many predicted around 13k which was pretty close. If we could all see it coming, how can we act surprised? It looks to be a mediocre game by a mediocre developer, targeted towards a western audience.

This isn't a disaster. It's a debacle.

(hyperbolically speaking)

Vinnk

Jonnyram said:
It's like Monolithsoft is destined to always be a victim of bad marketing. Not that the game is any good in this case, but they never seem to have much success with their games, no matter how good they are.

Is it really a bad game? I have 2 friends who got it and they both loved it. I was planning to buy it too, but my plane tickets for TGS turned out to be more expensive than expected.

You see guys? Nintendo proved themselves right as usual. The consumers don't WANT hardcore games. Nintendo should stick to casual non-games.

Jaruru

perfectchaos007 said:
You see guys? Nintendo proved themselves right as usual. The consumers don't WANT hardcore games. Nintendo should stick to casual non-games.

whatever that sells. money is money. every company does the same.

Olaeh

I predicted 10k for Dizastuh, so I guess it did a little better than I thought *statistical noise*

Is World Destruction considered a bomba?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Disaster had no buzz surrounding it whatsoever. In the past, Nintendo would have given a game like this the H.A.M.M.E.R. before ever even hitting retail.

Times sure have changed...

markatisu

Vinnk said:
Is it really a bad game? I have 2 friends who got it and they both loved it.

That seems to be the consensus from those that actually bought it, and in the actual Disaster thread it seems the gameplay and game itself are solid its just the graphics and the cheese factor that get hit (mostly by those with no intention of every buying it in the first place, like with a lot of Wii games)

So if people predicted 10-13k and it made that why is it a failure? Sometimes I don't get sales age because it seems that in theory everything should open big at #1 and when things fall in line they are failures

Capt Rainbow, that was an utter failure. Nights was an utter failure. I am not so sure that Disaster can be declared this minute an utter failure.

Vinnk

Now of course Disaster had no hype for it until a few weeks ago. But I would say that it was fairly heavily advertised. Watching television the last few week, I saw dozens of ads for Disaster (many during prime time). I would say I say more ads for this than any other single game last week. And even as late as yesterday I was seeing TV ads for it.

True, I didn't see any in store displays or many print ads, but Nintendo obviously spent some money on their TV campaign. The fact that it still bombed point to one of the following reasons.

1. No one wants a hardcore game on the Wii

2. People want a hardcore game but not a Western focused one (see No More Heroes)

3. People want to know about a game more than 2 weeks before it comes out.

If the answer is 1, then Nintendo won't bother to try. They make plenty of money on other games. If the answer is 2, then the game still might break even in the Western markets. If the answer is 3, then Nintendo is to blame but it still dosn't change the fact that they make plenty of money on games that sell themselves. Thus giving them little motivation to change their stratagy.

markatisu

Vinnk said:
1. No one wants a hardcore game on the Wii

2. People want a hardcore game but not a Western focused one (see No More Heroes)

3. People want to know about a game more than 2 weeks before it comes out.

I think its a bit of all 3, but I still resist #3 because in this generation that just does not seem to matter. The people who are interested in a game that intensely are already aware of its date of release, the rest seem to do just fine in word of mouth.

I guess its like a chicken and egg, do you advertise way in advance and deal with it still bombing or figure its going to bomb and just advertise a few weeks before. You make the same amt either way but spend less on marketing so it makes some business sense.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
...or perhaps people want a great hardcore game made by a great developer? It's cliche at this point but it holds true--if and when serious developers spend serious cash and resources developing, and serious publishers spend serious cash and resources advertising and marketing (and public relation-ing?), they will get serious sales.

Let's not mince words any longer. They get EXACTLY what they deserve. Call me when a serious effort (developing, advertising, marketing) fails.

donny2112

Jonnyram said:

GCN Baten Kaitos Origins - 12K first week

It's an improvement! :D

markatisu said:
Thats great, people are going to be calling it a bomb but its #10...the benefits of a slow week I guess :lol

I wonder what the LTD will be, next week will show I guess if it falls off completely or has some legs similar to Wario and Fatal Frame IV
First day sales were 10k, with 13-14k of first week sales I don't expect the game to have any sort of long-lasting legs. Because of the slow time we're in it might hover around the Top 50 for a few weeks, but that'll only net it a couple of thousand copies.

donny2112 said:
Well, it looks like Nintendo are, in fact, idiots. They took the GBA slot out of the DSi. :(
I see the DSi as a complementary product, or will it replace the Lite just as that replaced the Phat?

apujanata

With Nov 1, 2008 release date, and 18,900 Yen price point, I don't think there is zero possibility that "PSP>DSL YTD 2008" can happen.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
donny2112 said:
Well, it looks like Nintendo are, in fact, idiots. They took the GBA slot out of the DSi. :(
I think that the way they are apparently handling online store and SD slot is far more idiotic. But hey, as long as we can store our 0.3Mpixel photos in 16GB cards, it's all good. (ok probably 2GB since I doubt they support SDHC anyway).

Look at it on the "bright" side though, they'll probably let you rebuy all the GBA games through the online store eventually. Maybe even remakes of those DS games that use GBA slot.

donny2112

Phife Dawg said:
I see the DSi as a complementary product, or will it replace the Lite just as that replaced the Phat?

It'll be complementary, but that means that if I want to upgrade from DS Reg, I have to lose features. :(

3.25" screens
No GBA slot
3.0 Megapixel camera
Improved Audio playback capabilities
Bonus 1000 Nintendo Points for buying a DSi and connecting by Mar-09
DSWare games (Free, 200, 500, 800)
McDonald download kiosks
No additional charge Internet Browser for download
SD card slot for moving pictures (e.g. to the Wii)
FF:CChron DS/Wii game in Jan-09

Wii Stuff:
Download VC/WiiWare directly to SD cards but it sounds like you still have to "clean the fridge" to move it to the Wii to actually play it :(
Bonus 500 points for you and someone you get to log on to the internet with their Wii for the 1st time
AC Wii - 11/20, 7800 yen w/ Wii Speak
GameCube Classics? - Pikmin

cvxfreak

Phife Dawg said:

I think the Lite will stick around longer than the Phat did.

But the thing is, I can't remember how long the Phat was around after the Lite.

Hammer24

Banned
There goes my "software sells consoles" theory. Three PS3 games in the Top20 (two in the 10), and the console still gets nearly no push. :/

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
donny2112 said:

They had to pull a "stick with cartridges" some time...

jgwhiteus

Rhythm Tengoku's sales are pretty much the same / higher than last week. Those are really good legs. It's guaranteed to be a million seller before the end of the year - good chance of it crossing 900K next week.

Linkup

Hammer24 said:
There goes my "software sells consoles" theory. Three PS3 games in the Top20 (two in the 10), and the console still gets nearly no push. :/

"software with great demand sells consoles" You can pump out as many games as you want but of course people have to actually care. Even then saturation and money/prices can play a small role to the point to where the results don't show right away.

lo zaffo

I don't think it is a good game but don't You think it is a bomba too?

cvxfreak said:
I think the Lite will stick around longer than the Phat did.

But the thing is, I can't remember how long the Phat was around after the Lite.

DS Phat got phased out very quickly. Seriously, Lite made Phat look like a bulk and buggy beta product.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
lo zaffo said:
I don't think it is a good game but don't You think it is a bomba too?

Imo, Bad games can`t bomb. Just sell good or meet the expectations ;-)

Top Bottom