• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 4 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

Gameboy415

Normally I'd say Jurassic Park doesn't count because it's more of a thriller, but since we allow monster movies like Godzilla, I'm kind of conflicted.

JP certainly has more creature on human violence than Godzilla does so it seems kind of silly to say one is okay and one isn't...

I personally wouldn't include either, but I'll leave it up to your discretion if you want to include them or not.

For what it's worth, the opening scene of Jurassic Park scared the hell out of me when I saw it in the theater at age 10, haha! :)

daffy

Banned
no shade but "old movies are bad" is and always will be a vacant useless opinion

Bride of Frankenstein should come for your ass
as opposed to your useful opinion? and didn't say it was bad.
Man, broaden your horizons a bit. It's just barely over an hour long so it's not like it's a huge time investment. And it's not like it's a silent movie. It has dialogue and music.

You might enjoy it if you go in with a better attitude. Even if you don't, at least you'll be able to talk about it because everyone else would have seen it, unlike movies the you just pick for yourself.
I'll start it up but I'm just saying I'm probably not going to sit through it if it doesn't hold me in the first 10-15 minutes. And talking about movies on gaf is pretty one sided in my experience anyway.

big ander

as opposed to your useful opinion? and didn't say it was bad.

I'll start it up but I'm just saying I'm probably not going to sit through it if it doesn't hold me in the first 10-15 minutes. And talking about movies on gaf is pretty one sided in my experience anyway.
My only "opinion" in that post was that assuming by default that a movie from the 30s would be "dry" is vacant, which I think is pretty defensible-- pre-judging a movie based on when it was made almost never holds up and just limits someone's viewpoint

And what's one-sided about GAF movie discussion? I feel like the movies thread has had a good amount of discussion past year or so.

Well, give it a shot, that's all I can ask. I'm not going to Clockwork Orange you if you don't want to finish it. And then if you don't like it, you can talk about that. Just be fair and don't write it off just for being old.

The marathon threads have been very friendly with plenty of discussion in the past, it's not like the threads for big summer blockbusters or TV threads that can get a little messy at times.

1XnQJ.jpg

I was so close to putting that on the list this year. Damn month is too short :(

also, what are the best horror anthology movies? those are definitely my favorite

I don't know about "the best", but over the last few years I've seen these and think they're are worth watching:

- Trick 'r Treat
- Creepshow 1-2
- Tales from the Darkside: The Movie
- Three... Extremes
- V/H/S/2 (skip #1)
- ABCs of Death (a lot of people don't like it, but it's so bizarre you have to see it)

Out of those, I'd say Trick 'r Treat and Creepshow 1 are the best.

oatmeal

Banned
We're having a kid in 5 days which will throw things out of wack but I started early...

Watched Insidious Chapter 2.

Enjoyed it, I like Patrick Wilson a lot and it was kind of like Insidious and The Shining had a kind of shitty baby. Not bad, not as creepy as the first, much more in your face.

Divius

These are the films that did not make my list for this year, anything in here someone is willing to vouch for or sell me on? Because I might still change it then.

Silent Night, Bloody Night [1974]
Mil Gritos Tiene La Noche AKA Pieces [1982]
The Other [1972]
L'éden et après AKA Eden and After [1970]
Dead of Night [1945]
The Uninvited [1944]
Dead of Night [1945]
The Changeling [1980]
Night of the Demon AKA Curse of the Demon [1957]
Exit Humanity [2011]
Blood Glacier [2014]
The Whisperer in Darkness [2011]
The Call of Cthulhu [2005]
They Live [1988]
Santa Sangre [1989]

Divius

This is an amazing film and probably my favorite Jodorowsky but it's not horror or even a thriller for that matter. So if you want to stay pure horror, you can bump this one and just watch it now.
Yeah, that is the reason I left it off. It has been on my to-watch-list for a long time and it had a horror tag on IMDb so I put it on my tentative list but it's does not really fit into this month. I will definitely watch it eventually :D

edit: your edit confuses my edit

I need help, I'm think I'm turning into a crazy person... I'm already considering what I'm going to do for my list for next year.

I'm thinking I'll do it all themed weeks:
- Slasher Week
- Cheesy 80s Week (hopefully this won't cross over too much with Slasher Week)
- Video Nasty Week (originally was considering doing the whole month Video Nasties but I don't think I have access to enough)
- Giallo Week (if I can scrape together enough horror gialli)
- Killer Animals Week

Something like that anyway. It'll probably change over the year depending on what becomes available. Who knows what gems will get Blu-ray releases....

These are the films that did not make my list for this year, anything in here someone is willing to vouch for or sell me on? Because I might still change it then.

Silent Night, Bloody Night [1974]
Mil Gritos Tiene La Noche AKA Pieces [1982]
The Other [1972]
L'éden et après AKA Eden and After [1970]
Dead of Night [1945]
The Uninvited [1944]
Dead of Night [1945]
The Changeling [1980]
Night of the Demon AKA Curse of the Demon [1957]
Exit Humanity [2011]
Blood Glacier [2014]
The Whisperer in Darkness [2011]
The Call of Cthulhu [2005]
They Live [1988]
Santa Sangre [1989]

Are those all new viewings? Bolded what I've seen (that I remember, anyway).

Exit Humanity is interesting. I did that for the marathon in 2012. It's not the best movie ever, but if you're looking for something a little slow (in a good way) and somber for a break, it's a decent watch. Might be a good pallet cleanser after some sillier stuff.

The Live is a lot of fun. Even though it's a horror movie too, it definitely sides more on the sci-fi/comedy side. I'd say watch it for sure, but maybe not for this.

Pieces... WATCH IT. It's incredible.

I started early (hope it's ok), only because I am way too busy to do 31 in October.

So far I've watched

1. Pet Semetary (The neighbor creeped me out as a kid. I always remembered the bed/ankle scene, but hadn't seen it in years. It's what you expect out of a Stephen King movie.)

2. The Hole (Loved this throwback type film, Joe Dante is the master of these types of films)

3. Scream 4 (Not as good as the original but much better than the other two sequels. I'd be content if they never made another sequel/reboot)

Enough said; A compelling argument. Added Pieces [1982], removed American Mary [2012]. Thanks TF!

And yes, all first time viewings. I am doing only 2 rewatches this year.

You-Have-Chosen-Wisely_zpsdfcda750.jpg

Well, I can't comment on the quality of American Mary because I'm watching it this year, but I can't imagine it being more fun than Pieces. Pieces is all that is good with the world.

Im watching the Friday the 13th movies. I haven't seen them since I was a kid but they're pretty cute. All the cliche tropes and camera tricks are there so its tough to be surprised/scared. I wish there was a technology where you could edit a film and replace the people's period clothes/hair with modern styles. This 80s fashion makes it feel like a comedy.

commedieu

Banned
220px-Splinterposter08.jpg

Splinter should be viewed as well. We have a lot of horror icons/obvious selections. But there is some room during a month for this bad boy.

So this is my list so far. Need something to fill in the last two spots I have!

#1 - Ravenous [1999]
#2 - White Zombie [1932]
#3 - Wes Craven's New Nightmare [1994]
#4 - Fright Night 2 [1988]
#5 - House of 1000 Corpses [2003] *
#6 - The Devil's Rejects [2005]
#7 - The Thing [1982] *
#8 - Cube [1997] *
#9 - I Saw the Devil [2010]
#10 - Grave Encounters [2011]
#11 - Sinister [2012]
#12 - Hellraiser [1987] *
#13 - Let the Right One In [2008]
#14 - Cube 2 [2002]
#15 - Halloween [2007] *
#16 - An American Werewolf in London [1981] *
#17 - Phantasm [1979] *
#18 - Phantasm II [1988] *
#19 - Phantasm III [1994]
#20 - Phantasm IV [1998]
#21 - Death Spa
#22 - 30 Days of Night [2007]
#23 - Sleepaway Camp [1983]
#24 - V/H/S Viral [2014]
#25 - Carrie [1976]
#26 - All the Boys Love Mandy Lane [2006]
#27 -
#28 - Night of the Living Dead [1968] *
#29 - Children of the Corn [1984] *
#30 -
#31 - Halloween [1978] *

* = Rewatch

#1 - Ravenous [1999]
#2 - White Zombie [1932]
#7 - The Thing [1982] *
#8 - Cube [1997] *
#11 - Sinister [2012]
#14 - Cube 2 [2002]
#15 - Halloween [2007] *
#17 - Phantasm [1979] *
#20 - Phantasm IV [1998]
#21 - Death Spa
#24 - V/H/S Viral [2014]
#25 - Carrie [1976]
#27 -
#30 -
#31 - Halloween [1978] *

* = Rewatch

Your list needs Trick R Treat

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
If you want suggestions from Netflix:
Grave Encounters
You're Next
Event Horizon
Tucker and Dale vs Evil
3. Scream 4 (Not as good as the original but much better than the other two sequels. I'd be content if they never made another sequel/reboot)
I have a big soft spot for that movie for some reason... Maybe it's the great casting.

Necrovex

I'll aim to do this challenge, but I'll be picking random movies I haven't seen from people's list and classics that I still need to see (like Halloween, Child's Play, and Texas Chainsaw Massacre!).

banjo5150

#1 - Ravenous [1999]
#2 - White Zombie [1932]
#7 - The Thing [1982] *
#8 - Cube [1997] *
#11 - Sinister [2012]
#14 - Cube 2 [2002]
#15 - Halloween [2007] *
#17 - Phantasm [1979] *
#20 - Phantasm IV [1998]
#21 - Death Spa
#24 - V/H/S Viral [2014]
#25 - Carrie [1976]
#27 -
#30 -
#31 - Halloween [1978] *

* = Rewatch

Add Trick r Treat was a really cool flick. I remember Phantasm really weirded me out when I was a kid. House of 1000 Corpses freaks me out too.

MattyH

start of my list may be some changes
‎1.Cut
2.The Last Broadcast
3.Zombie Aka Zombie Flesh Eaters
4.Dawn Of The Dead (78)
5.American warewolf in london
6.City Of The Living Dead
7.Evil Dead
8.Night Of The Creeps
9.Return Of The Living Dead
10.The Exorcist 3
11.Evil Dead 2013
12.The Exorcist
13.Halloween
14.Event Horizion
15.Halloween 6 Producers Cut
16.The Beyond
17.Ponypool
18.Day Of The Dead
19.Demons
20.Dellamorte Dellamore
21.American Mary
22.Trick R Treat
23.Night Of The Demons (2009)
24.Attack The Block
25.Shaun Of The Dead
26.The Loved Ones
27.Scream
28. Suspiria
29.Tenebrae
30.Dead Set
31.Ghostwatch

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I usually try to do the 31 days, but I rarely succeed. I might try again this year, but we will see.

Bacon

I just finished the first season of The Wire. It's going to be hard for me to watch much else but that show during October, but I'm gonna try!

Divius

Looks like this will be my list for this year!

01. White Zombie [1932]
02. 28 Days Later... [2002]
03. La casa dalle finestre che ridono AKA The House of the Laughing Windows [1976]
04. Martin [1977]
05. Non si sevizia un paperino AKA Don't Torture a Duckling [1972]
06. Prince of Darkness [1987]
07. Mil Gritos Tiene La Noche AKA Pieces [1982]

08. The Ninth Gate [1999]
09. À l'intérieur AKA Inside [2007]
10. Amer [2009]
11. La residencia AKA The House That Screamed [1969]
12. Haute Tension [2003]
13. I Know What You Did Last Summer [1997]
14. Il gatto a nove code AKA The Cat o' Nine Tails [1971]

15. Sisters [1973]
16. La polizia chiede aiuto AKA What Have They Done to Your Daughters [1974]
17. Kuroneko [1968]
18. Ravenous [1999]
19. Una lucertola con la pelle di donna AKA A Lizard in a Woman's Skin [1971]
20. The Others [2001]
21. The Masque of the Red Death [1964]

22. Honogurai mizu no soko kara AKA Dark Water [2002]
23. Rogue [2007]
24. La frusta e il corpo AKA The Whip and the Body [1963]
25. Excision [2012]
26. E tu vivrai nel terrore - L'aldilà AKA The Beyond AKA Seven Doors of Death [1981]
27. Creature from the Black Lagoon [1954]
28. Cosa avete fatto a Solange? AKA What Have You Done to Solange? [1972]

29. Ils AKA Them [2006]
30. La ragazza che sapeva troppo AKA The Evil Eye AKA The Girl Who Knew Too much [1963]
31. Reazione a catena AKA A Bay of Blood [1971]​

I have some spares to swap if I get fed up with the giallo/Italian slasher stuff (I won't).
Really wish I could put some more 80s slashers in there but I guess that will have to wait until next year.

All new to me except 2 rewatches: Ravenous and 28 Days Later

Looks like this will be my list for this year!

05. Non si sevizia un paperino AKA Don't Torture a Duckling [1972]
14. Il gatto a nove code AKA The Cat o' Nine Tails [1971]
16. La polizia chiede aiuto AKA What Have They Done to Your Daughters [1974]
19. Una lucertola con la pelle di donna AKA A Lizard in a Woman's Skin [1971]
28. Cosa avete fatto a Solange? AKA What Have You Done to Solange? [1972]
30. La ragazza che sapeva troppo AKA The Evil Eye AKA The Girl Who Knew Too much [1963]

I have some spares to swap if I get fed up with the giallo/Italian slasher stuff (I won't).
Really wish I could put some more 80s slashers in there but I guess that will have to wait until next year.

Just an FYI, for those gialli you've picked, most of them are closer to thriller/mystery than horror/mystery. It's up to you if you still want to include them (and I look forward to reading your reviews of all of them if you do), but I made the same mistake last year and was a little disappointed that I didn't go with titles that were more suitable for the marathon.

Duckling can go either way, and it's pretty interesting so stick with that.
Cat o' Nine is more of a thriller. It's been a while since I've seen it so I can't comment too much, but I'd personally leave it out.
Lizard sadly, isn't horror at all. It's a straight up mystery movie. There's nothing slasher-y about it. I'd take that out if you had something you wanted to swap it with.
Solange is more of a straight mystery. It's pretty disturbing but calling it horror is a bit of a stretch. Your call.

Daughters, I haven't seen. But from what I've read it's a hybrid of giallo/poliziotteschi so more of a police mystery than a horror mystery.
The Girl Who Knew Too Much, I haven't seen either. I *really* wanted it watch it this year, but from what I've read it's again mystery/thriller not horror. imdb even lists Comedy under the genres, so off my list that went. I'll watch it outside of the marathon.

And if you do keep Solange and and Daughters, you might want to flip the order around and watch them in order of release. Even though they're not connected, Daughters was meant to be a follow up to Solange, much like what Argento did with his Animal Trilogy.

Divius

Thanks for that, ThirstyFly. I'll revisit my list. Guess this is the downside of not wanting to read/know anything about movies before watching them.

Maybe this gives me the opportunity to add some 80s slashers >:D

Thanks for that, ThirstyFly. I'll revisit my list. Guess this is the downside of not wanting to read/know anything about movies before watching them.

Maybe this gives me the opportunity to add some 80s slashers >:D

Heh, yeah, that's what burned me last year.

Edit: I hope that doesn't scare you off from eventually watching whatever you swap out though. They're all good movies worth a viewing. I plan to go over some of the less-horror gialli I excluded from my marathon later on in the general horror thread (just because there isn't a better thread to do so). I might watch Murder-Rock: Dancing Death this week, which looks hilarious.

Steamlord

I don't think any other movie has bummed me out as much as High Tension. It's so good...until it isn't. Like, really isn't.

Oh, I guess I should mention I'm going to try to join in this year. My list isn't finalized yet, but I'm trying to go for only movies I haven't seen before with no repeat viewings at all. Should be fun. Kind of shocking how many classics I have yet to see.

I've done this on my own the past two years but I might join in officially this year.
My boyfriend is one of the biggest horror buffs I've ever known and has easily 1,500 horror movies in his collection.
It won't be hard for me to find a list. :p

Slowly working toward my final list. I started by cutting anything I watched during the last two marathons. I dropped a couple of titles I know I'll watch before October simply because I have zero impulse control. Ideally I want to end up with a 1:1 ratio of new to re-watches. I'm probably putting way too much thought into this whole thing.

You guys don't need to make a list if you don't want to. Plenty of people just go in and watch whatever they feel like.

I just do it because this is something I have on my mind all year and save what I think will be fun for the marathon, so making a list ensures I don't miss what I had saved and helps me group up similar movies for little themes.

Fox Mulder

Been meaning to try the full month thing for a few years.

got a bunch already, but can't wait to watch the universal monsters bluray set, along with stuff like they live and the fly. Gotta get a preorder for the twilight times bluray release of the blob remake tomorrow too.

I'll just wing it like last year. I want to watch some older stuff, if I get to them / find them, I have my sights on the following

Onibaba (1963)
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)
Peeping Tom (1960)
The Testament of Dr. Mabuse (1933)

...and I will switch that out with some 80s stuff

Puppetmaster (1989)
Night of the Creeps (1986)
When a Stranger Calls (1979)

I will also possibly be re-watching some Hellraiser and Elm Street movies, because my wife has not seen much of that.

Top Bottom