• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Driveclub gameplay

Conduit

Banned
DriveClub--5-claves.gif

Gif comparison. This is from last year, Nov. 29th

s986r.gif

I also noticed this in the end of gif :

nkncp3J.jpg

Vire

If that is actual in game footage and not post processed replays, consider my mind blown.

Here's hoping...

Kssio_Aug

Here is what I mean when I say about the time counter:
imxwuh.gif

Isnt it a bit too much? It feels to me like theyre restricting way too much of your freedom on the road.

Portugeezer

Yeah, that was part of an advertisement for PS4 games on Channel 4 in the UK. Number 4's made out of various floating objects is part of the channel's identity.

Edit: Damn gotta go fast(er)

Driveclub Tokyo DLC confirmed.

c4_2004_c4-2007-id-tokyo-4.jpg

(TBH Driveclub in a setting like this would probably be orgasmic)

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
imxwuh.gif

Isnt it a bit too much? It feels to me like theyre restricting way too much of your freedom on the road.

I have to agree with you here. Perhaps they can tone that down in a firmware and give it a second or two before we see that 3 second timer.

Portugeezer

Why do they even have a countdown timer? It's not like you can go off the track... unless some other tracks open up a bit more, that would make sense. But yeah, I would guess they're going to tone that down.

Kssio_Aug

Why do they even have a countdown timer? It's not like you can go off the track... unless some other tracks open up a bit more, that would make sense. But yeah, I would guess they're going to tone that down.

I think that maybe the countdown is to both prevent you going off-road and also against the race (the other way around, I dont know the english term for it). So if you go off, the count down starts, and if you turn your car the other way, it counts too. But its being overdone indeed... even on more closed curves it pops up on the screen, and that sounds almost claustrofobic. So I hope they change it.

imxwuh.gif

I have to agree with you here. Perhaps they can tone that down in a firmware and give it a second or two before we see that 3 second timer.

I don't see it that way. This is a driving game supposed to be on track. It is not supposed for you to take shortcuts wen driving agains the others.. The counter is a warning before you get some penalties.. However they can tone that down or give us the possibility to disable it.

I don't see it that way. This is a driving game supposed to be on track. It is not supposed for you to take shortcuts wen driving agains the others.. The counter is a warning before you get some penalties.. However they can tone that down or give us the possibility to disable it.

In other words: Get gud.

Wow, looks way better now.

Yeah and when the adverts were being shown people were stating they were pre-rendered and the game wouldn't be anywhere near as good. Evo really are gods and have used the delay well.

Cannot wait for this to release, already pre-ordered the PS+ upgrade so should be ready for me when I get home from work that day!

cool_dude

Banned
imxwuh.gif

Bumper car physics against the air on one side and blades of grass... back and forth... 3-2-1 *beep* *beep* *beep*

hwy_61

Banned
Damn, this game looks amazing. May have to pick this up, man. This year is ending with a bang for racing games, that's for sure :D

coldone

I think that maybe the countdown is to both prevent you going off-road and also against the race (the other way around, I dont know the english term for it). So if you go off, the count down starts, and if you turn your car the other way, it counts too. But its being overdone indeed... even on more closed curves it pops up on the screen, and that sounds almost claustrofobic. So I hope they change it.

It wasnt there even one or two months back. Suddenly they come up with random idea like this. Hopefully they didnt tune the difficulty with timer in mind... In a day and age where reviewers complain about clicking to collect bullets in Wolfenstein, IGN AU is going to bitch about this the whole review.

What purpose does the timer actually serve? Why is it so important that I get back onto the track? I don't like it when devs make decisions for me. I mean, I'm not planning to spend much time away from the track...but If I want to drive on the dirt, I should be allowed to to my hearts content! Lol.

Hoje0308

Banned
Compare your comments from the Driveclub thread:

Bumper car physics against the air on one side and blades of grass... back and forth... 3-2-1 *beep* *beep* *beep*

Agree with boring.

It can have great graphics and look realistic, but those qualities do not always equate to good gameplay: the roads can be too narrow for good passing lanes, the contrast between gray sky and gray road can be hard to discern, the distracting sudden lighting changes, the cockpit view is constrained, the bumper car collisions take you out of the game, the 3 second off track limit with invisible walls, the fade to restart when venturing off road, repeating textures and buildings (100 observatories in an area??) etc. In short, realistic does not always equal good game.

To the Forza Horizon 2 thread:

Great reviews and writeups, I can feel the passion in the developers and gamers in this thread!

Ticket in hand and waving!

Looking forward to the livery creator and buying some cool designs!

You're not a cool dude. Like, at all. Cool dudes would at least be informed enough to know that Driveclub has dynamic lighting and that the gray skies will only be there for as long as that weather system persists. I know, the absence of baked lighting scares you, right?

I think the countdown timer makes sense... they are punishing players who try to get ahead by going offroad. Couple that with collision penalties and stuff like that, and they seem to be enforcing a kind of racing where you aren't knocking people off course like Burnout.

However, the downside is, sometimes you do get off road and it may be because you spin out or whatever else... you should have to get out of that situation yourself, but if you take just 3 seconds, the game just resets you on the track. Seems like this is done to promote the accessibility of the game and the idea that "you don't have to be first to have fun in Driveclub"

The sensible thing is to give us an option, of course.

I actually was really hoping that they'd have a race type where you are ranked by points, and not just simply coming in first. So that way, if you are an aggressive racer who knocks players off, collides with things, or goes off track, you get points deducted that affect your final standing.

By the way, speaking of modes, going off of the Gamekult forum...there are only three modes in single player? Aren't there any GP's/tournaments to set up in the game?

You're not a cool dude. Like, at all. Cool dudes would at least be informed enough to know that Driveclub has dynamic lighting and that the gray skies will only be there for as long as that weather system persists. I know, the absence of baked lighting scares you, right?

It's pretty sad when you see blatant fanboyism(?) like this. People who go into threads of games they have no intention of playing, to whine about grey skies and grey roads looking the same (SERIOUSLY!?), just to make themselves feel better about their purchase is FUCKING SAD.

Hoje0308

Banned
Cool dude is not cool. I don't know what to believe anymore.

I bet Kev doesn't even really think TLG is dead.

It is though ;(

It's pretty sad when you see blatant fanboyism(?) like this. People who go into threads of games they have no intention of playing, to whine about grey skies and grey roads looking the same (SERIOUSLY!?), just to make themselves feel better about their purchase is FUCKING SAD.

I honestly think the rapid turnaround in sales dominance has caused MS fans to lose their shit more than they would if the "war" were a little closer than it is now. This will happen with every exclusive.

I honestly think the rapid turnaround in sales dominance has caused MS fans to lose their shit more than they would if the "war" were a little closer than it is now. This will happen with every exclusive.

It has consistently been happening with every exclusive. Even fucking Bloodborne has been handwaved as "not going to set the world on fire" on the RPG scale because it won't sell as much as Skyrim.

Yes, people comparing Bloodborne to Skyrim.

I dread to think what will happen when
if
TLG is re-announced.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

I liked this one the best.

It can have great graphics and look realistic, but those qualities do not always equate to good gameplay: the roads can be too narrow for good passing lanes, the contrast between gray sky and gray road can be hard to discern, the distracting sudden lighting changes, the cockpit view is constrained, the bumper car collisions take you out of the game, the 3 second off track limit with invisible walls, the fade to restart when venturing off road, repeating textures and buildings (100 observatories in an area??) etc. In short, realistic does not always equal good game.

Lots of hilarious stuff in that one, but the best has to be complaining about the multiple observatories in the Chile track.

You know, the track that's based off of the La Silla Observatory in Chile that has multiple observatories.

Keep fightin' the good fight, cool_dude.

So not cool.

Nokterian

Welp busted and not cool at all.

commedieu

Banned
Its insane. This game is photo realistic. And if I know my Evolution like I think I do.. that bonnet cam is going to be epic. M2 looked pretty damned good in first person. The dof/motionblur/lighting/texture-shader quality.. man man.

Top Bottom