• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet delayed over Qur'an "expressions" (shipping Oct. 27th US; Nov 3rd EU)

I refuse to accept that any Muslim can be offended by this song. If they were, they would have protested it years ago when the song was released. When Nsider contacted Sony he was clearly protesting the existence of the song altogether; he did not say it was offensive to have this song specifically in the context of the game. Something is fishy.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Crisis said:
I don't have a reluctance to accept anyone's culture. He just got done saying the game is already out in Middle Eastern territories and I sure haven't heard any complaints from that area about it aside from Nsider. Furthermore that song has been around for YEARS. If it's so offensive then why has nobody complained about it until now?
Yeah, especially since it was one of the most hyped songs of this year and guaranteed to sell over a million copies worldwide, in addition to getting a lot of press coverage. No wait, that's the game.

Crisis

Banned
Flek said:
2ir6oah.jpg
:lol :lol :lol

Zeliard

I do think what Sony should have done, if they were stuck, is to let the pre-orders go out as originally intended and do recalls on the rest of the stock. That way, people looking forward to the game so much that they pre-ordered it would still receive it on time, while most of those who didn't pre-order likely wouldn't care at all about waiting another week.

xbhaskarx

Zeliard said:
Anyone who thinks the reaction to this would have been nearly as vitriolic had the guy been a Christian or a Jew is deluding themselves. There's a palpable animosity towards those from the Middle East particularly in the U.S. It's now considered a deep insult just for Obama to be simply called a Muslim or Arab.

I'm sure if you called the head of state of an islamic middle eastern country a Jew or a Christian, it would not be considered a "deep insult"... They would just take it in stride and laugh it off because they're tolerant like that, unlike us Americans...

distrbnce

Banned
m0dus said:
Actually, I think there are about 20 or 30 people rushing into this thread to fill that particular role.

It sucks the game was delayed, and it means I have to wait EVEN LONGER to start making some custom levels, but shit, your venom needs to be directed at the irresponsible person whose job it was to screen for potentially offensive content, not the person that noticed it.

And I'm finding the bigoted / potentially racist inflammatory comments interesting. It doesn't take much to set people off these days, it seems.

What the FUCK is "offensive", m0dus?

If we took out everything offensive we wouldn't have a fucking hobby.

FUCK OFFENSIVE.

CoG

Amazon has still not updated their release date. I hope they miss the memo and ship for the 21st on pre-orders.

NSider

I didn't mean to do it but here goes:

I'm sorry for partially causing a one week delay of LittleBigPlanet. I'm sorry Sony has to go through all the trouble of pulling the game from stores and replacing them with patched versions. I definitely know what it feels like to have a game delayed.

The possibility that Sony would delay the game didn't even cross my mind. I thought that they will do nothing about it for weeks then quietly release a patch much later.

I'm sorry. :(

Crisis

Banned
SapientWolf said:
Yeah, especially since it was one of the most hyped songs of this year and guaranteed to sell over a million copies worldwide, in addition to getting a lot of press coverage. No wait, that's the game.

It won a fucking Grammy. I can buy it on Amazon and iTunes right now and it's publicly streamed in its entirety on MySpace. It's not like the song was under the radar.

stuminus3

Banned
On my previous reflections on the issues here, I have come to the following conclusion:

It's not the size of the ship. It's the motion of the ocean.

Think about it!

Flek

Banned
NSider said:

I'm sorry for partially causing a one week delay of LittleBigPlanet. I'm sorry Sony has to go through all the trouble of pulling the game from stores and replacing them with patched versions. I definitely know what it feels like to have a game delayed.

The possibility that Sony would delay the game didn't even cross my mind. I thought that they will do nothing about it for weeks then quietly release a patch much later.

ok. lets just hope all shiped copys will work with the new versions and everything is going to be ok

Pezking

I want a South Park-Episode about this.

Cartman wants to buy "Big little Earth" or whatever, learns about the delay and goes to the Middle East to steal NSiders copy.

distrbnce

Banned
m0dus said:
From what I can tell, there was no 'bullying.' just an overreaction on sony's part because they made a major omission. I agree that the recall is simply ridiculous--but that blame falls to SONY, not to the people who may be potentially offended.

No. No one - person or company - should ever be "blamed" for being offensive.

It's a stupid, bullshit subjective term.

The only reason any company reacts to "offensive" is because of the bad PR. I find nothing offensive about the words used in the song, so how could I possibly blame Sony for anything? I blame ignorant people with a voice and the opiate of the masses.

IF IT OFFENDS YOU, STOP FUCKING LISTENING TO THE SONG.

J-Rzez

So the whistle blower holds all things religiously close, then posts about a pedobear game? And they're a N-thing supposedly? I guess Reggie does have an account here, and finally found out how to get back at Sony after they showed off that game and people found out they don't need waggle for innovative gaming.

sidhePuck

NSider said:

On behalf of all the GAF,

I forgive you.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
m0dus said:
From what I can tell, there was no 'bullying.' just an overreaction on sony's part because they made a major omission. I agree that the recall is simply ridiculous--but that blame falls to SONY, not to the people who may be potentially offended.

If people weren't offended in the first place - or more specifically, didn't react outrageously when offended - this wouldn't happen. Artists and companies wouldn't give in and compromise as they do here.

It is basically bullying. People walk on eggshells around these things now. Certain groups need only glare in the direction of a company now, and they cower. What is that, if not bullying? It's ridiculous. So many controversial works have been put out there in the past, and have gone uncensored and untouched because people stood up to those 'offended' and didn't give a toss. But because some people start getting extreme in their reactions to offended religious sensibilities, suddenly companies like Sony get less brave.

Sony should have stood up to this, stood by their product, and told NSider where to put his game if he was offended.

Here, look - my religion forbids me to watch anything on TV with the colour green in it. Green is the devils colour. If I see anything with green in it on TV, I'm going to go picket offices, and burn green things, and threaten the lives of people who make green things on TV. It's my beliefs! You can't tell me I'm silly, because it's my religion! How dare you! I'm going to write to Sony now, to have the colour green removed from all their games. If they don't, I'll get violent.

See how pathetic that is? 'Religious sensitivities' are no different. Stupid arbitrary rules that some people get uppity about, and in cases like this, force on others. Go stick your religion up your ass. (I don't mean you, Modus, I mean people generally who shove religion and their religious sensititivies down other people's throats)

Steroyd

So LBP gets pushed back to the original date it was pushed forward from.

Well I feel better thank god it's not mid November.

vdo

NSider said:

"I can't help but feel partially responsible"

4kifcy.jpg

Crisis

Banned
NSider said:

Yeah you're real sorry. You walk in here and make those two fucking asshole-ish posts after you got the game delayed for everyone else. This is what you should have posted in the first place not "hey guys. :D" and rubbing in that you already have the game. You're not sorry you got the game delayed. You're sorry that someone else revealed who you were on these forums and now you have everyone mad at you. Fuck you.

GreekWolf

NSider said:

You're forgiven.

Now please place your right hand on this butcher block.

Crayon

NSider said:

You didn't do anything wrong other than letting gaf know it was you.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
m0dus said:
So if someone goes into a church and pees into the lecturn, by trying to stop him you are somehow being 'intolerant of his culture?' :)
Maybe if you have to pay him 59.99 to come into your church and you know beforehand he pees on things.

Zeliard said:
Anyone who thinks the reaction to this would have been nearly as vitriolic had the guy been a Christian or a Jew is deluding themselves. There's a palpable animosity towards those from the Middle East particularly in the U.S. It's now considered a deep insult just for Obama to be simply called a Muslim or Arab.

There were plenty of LOLs at the expense CoE for the Fallout deal.

I love how each religion alternately claims to be the biggest, fastest, strongest and in need of special protection.

rhino4evr

NSider said:

ha ha..you think this angry mob is going to accept this apology?

BlacKMaRK

Banned
m0dus said:
So if someone goes into a church and pees into the lecturn, by trying to stop him you are somehow being 'intolerant of his culture?' :)

if someone were to do that its because he HATES that particular religion. there is no culture of pissing on other people religions(literally).

the person pissing is obviously not intolerant, but HATEFUL, and deserves a beatdown :)

mr_nothin

Banned
distrbnce said:
What the FUCK is "offensive", m0dus?

If we took out everything offensive we wouldn't have a fucking hobby.

FUCK OFFENSIVE.
yea..

And yet we are DEFENDING our right to kill people in videogames.

kittel

At the risk of sounding trite...

NSider I disagree with your decision to notify Sony but I will defend to the death your right to do so.

Now...

Does Bay Area GAF know where to get an early copy? PM plz...plzz..... ? ='(

Ponn

Banned
m0dus said:

When did my home become a Islamic church and when did my PS3 become a lecturn??? Look, if you were offended by it don't play it, skip the song or hey here's a good idea, do a send back program where Sony will replace the disc with the song taken out if you request it.

Either way thanks jackass, I didn't bother getting a beta key cause of the due date being soon but now I have to wait even longer AND I took fucking vacation time off which I can't change now.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
NSider said:

You have nothing to be sorry about. You saw something that you found offensive and you requested, as a consumer, that it be changed. SONY, not you, decided to delay the game. You had the option to not buy the game or to play the game as is. Sony had the option to not change the game, to patch the game, or to delay the game. THIS WAS SONY'S DECISION, NOT YOURS.

I would like to say sorry on behalf of GAF. I'm an athiest. I don't agree with your religious beliefs. However, to hurl racists comments, slang, etc. or any anger at you because you raised concern to a publisher about material that you found offensive, is simply unacceptable.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Crisis said:
It won a fucking Grammy. I can buy it on Amazon and iTunes right now and it's publicly streamed in its entirety on MySpace. It's not like the song was under the radar.
Toumani Diabaté won a grammy for the album "In The Heart Of The Moon," which didn't have this song in it.

xbhaskarx

NSider said:
I'm sorry for partially causing a one week delay of LittleBigPlanet.

Since it's out in the Middle East, you have the offensive version of LBP right?
Just mail that to me now and I'll mail you a copy of the censored version you requested in a week.

j/k, no need to apologize.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Ocarina of Time all over again (Except that Nintedo got away with it for a little while!)

Don't act as if Nintendo or MM did anything wrong.

The redone Fire Temple theme wasn't nearly as good as the one with chanting and whatever track they replace this song with (if any) probably won't be as good.

Political Correctness can suck a dick.

RSTEIN said:
You have nothing to be sorry about. You saw something that you found offensive and you requested, as a consumer, that it be changed. SONY, not you, decided to delay the game. You had the option to not buy the game or to play the game as is. Sony had the option to not change the game, to patch the game, or to delay the game. THIS WAS SONY'S DECISION, NOT YOURS.

I would to say that I'm sorry on behalf of GAF. I'm an athiest. I don't agree with your religious beliefs. However, to hurl racists comments, slang, etc. or any anger at you because you raised concern to a publisher about material that you found offensive, is simply unacceptable.
Agreed on every point. Shame on GAF.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
rhino4evr said:
the game is censored. many folks have said that this particular song is one of the best in the game too....now it will probably be gone.
I'm sure if you looked at what ended up on the cutting room floor for this game, or any game, some of it is in part due to proactive censorship and if that led to the handicapping of the fundamental goal and purpose of the game, then I'd care. One particular song in the soundtrack getting censored out of respect for the dogma of a religious group isn't going to have me crying about slippery slopes. Let 'em have it.

Dirtbag

m0dus said:
Who said anything about 'taking out everything offensive?'

Offensive to a certain degree is certainly acceptable. But clearly, Sony is worried about alienating part of its audience and potential buyers.

Do you not remember going through this song and dance like TWICE before? Once with Zelda, once with Kakuto Chojin? Anyone with half a brain for PR is well aware of the precedent those set.

Sony is clearly overreacting here. But I find it interesting that all the rage is not directed at THEM, but rather, everyone else but.

+1

Crisis

Banned
SapientWolf said:
Toumani Diabaté won a grammy for the album "In The Heart Of The Moon," which didn't have this song in it.

Then I blame the stiq of joy for phrasing their article poorly and I request that they change it.

Top Bottom