• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC Full Campaign Preview (H2A runs at 1328 x 1080 native)

IGN has posted their massive article of the campaigns for The Master Chief Collection. Still going through it, but they mention Halo 2 Anniversary Campaign runs at 1328 x 1080 at 60 fps native. Friggen impressive!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10...o-the-master-chief-collection-story-ign-first

For those of you who like to start message board wars over such things, let's get this out of the way: Halo 2's campaign isn't quiiiiiiite 1080p. Due to running the original graphics engine and the Xbox One-ified Anniversary graphics engine simultaneously and the original Halo 2 audio engine and remastered Anniversary audio engine simultaneously, Halo 2's campaign does run at 60fps but, resolution-wise, clocks in at 1328x1080. Here's an explanation from 343 executive producer Dan Ayoub: “During development we were really pleased with the way the engine and buffer allowed us to switch instantly between classic and Anniversary engines that are running simultaneously – however that, as you might expect, put a hit on resolution. The campaign of Halo 2: Anniversary looked fantastic at 720p with the level of detail and clarity it gave us, but like every other aspect of the game and tech, we wanted to push it further. So in the last weeks of development, our teams were able to meet a stretch goal and the campaign of Halo 2: Anniversary now runs 60 fps at a crisp resolution of 1328x1080, which is a significant and meaningful boost in image quality we think fans are really going to appreciate. All of the other games across the entire package of The Master Chief Collection run 60 fps at 1920x1080 native.”

HaloCE campaign: 1080p/60
HaloCEA campaign: 1080p/60
Halo 2 campaign: 1080p/60
Halo 2A campaign: 1328x1080/60
Halo 3 campaign: 1080p/60
Halo 4 campaign: 1080p/60
Halo CE Multi: 1080p/60
Halo 2 Multi: 1080p/60
Halo 2A Multi: 1080p/60
Halo 3 Multi: 1080p/60
Halo 4 Multi: 1080p/60

Halo CE Anniversary is running Xbox 360 fidelity assets at 1080p with some rendering and lighting improvements. H2A is running higher res textures, geo, characters and animation AND running the OG engine at the same time.

Here's what H2A is running simultaneously: Two game (graphics) engines - the OG H2 and H2A, and the original audio (music and FX) and completely new music and FX. And the switch is instantaneous. If it weren't running the OG engine it could in theory run at a higher resolution but that's not the intended nature of the project. It's designed to be a remake that lets you switch between the two instantaneously. Now you can feel one way or another about that, but that is indeed the intent.

Since this thread is about the resolution, these are all fine conversations to have, but iI hope the community thread is talking about the content, not the pixels.

Frankie's quote on image scaling:

Personal opinion?

a. It looks much better than prior showings now for obvious reasons of dev progress.
b. Yeah, I think the scaling of this res looks better. Great in fact. There's a crystal-like sharpness in-game.

Gestault

The resolution seems like a decent trade-off for the sake of framerate, especially considered how well the IQ seems to hold up. I'm pretty interested in this, and I think it'll be worth picking up early on.

Edit: Those Blur produced cutscenes for H2A look really good.

EBE

i dont know what this resolution means.
does H2 (sans next gen graphics) run at the same resolution?

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I'd rather them remove the old engine to get to 1080p. That's a strange resolution. I'm curious what it ends up looking like.

For those saying it isn't native 1080 because it's running two engines at once, isn't Halo: CE Anniversary running two engines at the same time as well at native 1080? Genuine question here.

Yeah, I do hope they at least have an option to toggle the ability to switch to old graphics or not to have a full 1080p.

And to my quote of "Friggen impressive!" I was talking about the massive article detailing all of the campaigns and new footage :) (in case anyone was wondering).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Nope. But I suspect Halo 2 wasn't exactly a standard ratio to begin with.

Weird too since that seems more in line with a 4:3 aspect ratio rather than 16:9, but isn't the game in widescreen?
It'll stretch the pixels to be 16:9.

Sanic

I really had a feeling that they wouldn't reach a full 1080p/60 with every part of this package. The slow drip of information doesn't really inspire confidence either. Still a great buy, but this is of course disappointing.

Silky

Banned
For those saying it isn't native 1080 because it's running two engines at once, isn't Halo: CE Anniversary running two engines at the same at native 1080? Genuine question here.

CE:A is an enhanced port of a 360 game.

So everything but H2A is native 1080p.

That's a really low res for a remake of a game that's two gens old. I know two engines and all but it just seems like a pointless move. Couldn't we have had both engines but not be able to switch on the fly so only running one at a time?

No need to point out the obvious...

For those of you who like to start message board wars over such things, let's get this out of the way: Halo 2's campaign isn't quiiiiiiite 1080p. Due to running the original graphics engine and the Xbox One-ified Anniversary graphics engine simultaneously and the original Halo 2 audio engine and remastered Anniversary audio engine simultaneously, Halo 2's campaign does run at 60fps but, resolution-wise, clocks in at 1328x1080. Here's an explanation from 343 executive producer Dan Ayoub: “During development we were really pleased with the way the engine and buffer allowed us to switch instantly between classic and Anniversary engines that are running simultaneously – however that, as you might expect, put a hit on resolution. The campaign of Halo 2: Anniversary looked fantastic at 720p with the level of detail and clarity it gave us, but like every other aspect of the game and tech, we wanted to push it further. So in the last weeks of development, our teams were able to meet a stretch goal and the campaign of Halo 2: Anniversary now runs 60 fps at a crisp resolution of 1328x1080, which is a significant and meaningful boost in image quality we think fans are really going to appreciate. All of the other games across the entire package of The Master Chief Collection run 60 fps at 1920x1080 native.”

TeRey09

Explanation for 1328x1080 instead of 1920x1080.

Halo 3 and Halo 4 make use of the Xbox One controller's impulse triggers out of the box (we experienced it!), and Halo: CE and Halo 2 will have that functionality added in via a game update shortly after release.

May hold off on starting the campaigns right away depending how long the wait is. Wished more games used impulse triggers.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Is classic Halo 2 still full 1080p? As in, 1920x1080?

I don't care about the new stuff... but old stuff better run right.

EDIT: I mean, specifically, the multiplayer?

madmackem

Strange res, will it look stretched. It looks like they are doing everything to not be 900p even though this has less pixels than true 900p.

Seik

Banned
1328 x 1080: 1434240
900p: 1440000

So not even 900p.

Hahahaha really?!

MS, this gen, wins the award of have the most fucked up resolutions, that's for sure.

When it's not 900p, it's always a resolution nobody ever heard of before. :p

EDIT: At least everything else is true 1080p, hype!

Top Bottom