• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It begins? Sony patents that break-apart controller

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
- edit - What it is:

The patent describes a one-handed controller whose absolute xyz position and rotation in space can be determined. It merges a variety of inputs to determine that information, including:

1) Ultrasound to determine absolute depth from an ultrasonic detector (i.e. the PSEye microphone array), and to determine distance between two controllers in your hands, and/or between multiple player controlers

2) An array of LEDs picked up by the PSEye camera to determine absolute X/Y position (with support from microphone array and ultrasound signals using triangulation), as well as information about the controller's location relative to your body etc.

3) Accelerometer in the controller to determine xyz and rotational inertia

The patent describes replaceable face plates, and a two controller face plate to provide 'traditional' DS controls, and also various configurations like pluggging two together.

- end edit

The pics will explain better:

s1q04o.jpg

16la5qg.jpg

wsocqg.jpg

2l901ec.jpg

2ro58vs.jpg

346kcv8.jpg

14bqhk6.jpg

ajuyqs.jpg

1zcecyu.jpg

Patent snooping FTW. Again.

Still reading. There are more pics too. As per that rumour, it uses PSEye and ultrasonic stuff for full tracking (in tandem also with body/head/face tracking).

Durante

So... it emits ultrasonic sound that is picked up by the microphone on the PSeye?
If so, that's a really interesting method.

Anyway, I wouldn't count on the final product (if one comes into existence) looking exactly like the diagrams in the patent.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Durante said:
So... it emits ultrasonic sound that is picked up by the microphone on the PSeye?

If so, that's a really interesting method.

It's an array of ultrasonic emitters that match to the array of microphones in the pseye. I think.

2j3g0af.jpg

Tr4nce

Good Lord, I'm glad I'm not the only one who things that thing is ugly. Is anyone actually waiting for this? Oh and looking at the pictures: new Bushido Blade confirmed.

Double D

Nice balls. Actually, make it smaller, and have it double as a controller you can attach to either sides of the PSP.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Also, linking FTW:

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.html&r=11&p=1&f=G&l=50&d=PG01&S1=((%22sony+computer%22.AS.)+AND+2008{D4}.PD.)&OS=AN/%22sony+computer%22+AND+PD/$/$/2008&RS=(AN/%22sony+computer%22+AND+PD/2008$$)

DETERMINATION OF CONTROLLER THREE-DIMENSIONAL LOCATION USING IMAGE ANALYSIS AND ULTRASONIC COMMUNICATION

Abstract

Game interface tracks the position of one or more game controllers in 3-dimensional space using hybrid video capture and ultrasonic tracking system. The captured video information is used to identify a horizontal and vertical position for each controller within a capture area. The ultrasonic tracking system analyzes sound communications to determine the distances between the game system and each controller and to determine the distances among the controllers. The distances are then analyzed by the game interface to calculate the depths within the capture area for each controller.

Although the pictures and design look fairly 'consumerised', the fact that this was filed by one inventor in SCEA makes me wonder. That kind of makes it seem like it's just R&D stuff. Then again..the pictures...

(There's also one pic in there that's pure comedy gold. Basically the bit in the rumour about strapping ones to your legs etc. was also correct :lol )

ThatHurt

im sure swinging a break apart controller in front of a 3k dollar tv won't lead to any lolz

I understand the need for the large IR ball but the thumb sticks need to be changed. Unless this is the double jointed model.

Edit (I was wrong)

StuBurns

Banned
Fig 9A is wrong, the O and [] are in the wrong places on the right controller. You think they'd at least do that right. Unless they are reversing them for one side, but they never would.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
gofreak said:
Also, linking FTW:

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.html&r=11&p=1&f=G&l=50&d=PG01&S1=((%22sony+computer%22.AS.)+AND+2008{D4}.PD.)&OS=AN/%22sony+computer%22+AND+PD/$/$/2008&RS=(AN/%22sony+computer%22+AND+PD/2008$$)

I don't see any win...

I just hope Sony have the courage to back their convictions when it comes to this device.

I was a very vocal supporter of EyeToy all those years ago, but it took Sony 3 years to get it to market, and then they only really pushed it in Europe.

The PS3Eye seems to have been totally abandonded in the marketplace. They could have released all of the Eyetoy mini-games at least.

I never understood the apathy in the motion sensors in the SixAxis. I felt they worked perfectly well and there was no reason why they couldn't have pushed the whole waggle mini-game fad like Nintendo. I actually liked Toy Home.

I'm no Developer, but surely the PSEye and Sixaxis motion sensors could have led to some interesting gameplay?

I hope they pack this device in with the PSThree Slim whenever it arrives. Anything less than that and they will struggle to get mass market adoption.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
They have an alternative case design in the pics that's way more wii-mote-ish. But yeah, that suggests those ones are used for illustration of the underlying tech rather than as a final consumer design.

Yoschi

That looks awful. Who knows, it may be comfortable to hold and control?
I remember people bitching about the GameCube Controller and as soon as they held it they praised it to be the best thing since sliced bread.

I wonder if it has Rumble :lol
not thinking anything specific here :p

Durante

Patent said:
16. The system as recited in claim 10 further comprising,a microphone in the controller,a second controller configured like the controller,wherein a three-dimensional location of the second controller is identified by the computer program,wherein the controller and the second controller are configured for two-way sound communication used to determine a distance between the controller and the second controller, the distance being transmitted to the computing system,wherein the computer program uses the determined distance between controllers in the identification of the three-dimensional locations of the controllers.

17. The system as recited in claim 16, wherein the controller and the second controller are physically connected serially along a longitudinal dimension,wherein both controllers are tracked by the computer program and the identified locations of the controllers are combined to improve accuracy.
What a roundabout way to describe a dual-bladed lightsaber controller :lol

gofreak said:
They have an alternative case design in the pics that's way more wii-mote-ish. But yeah, that suggests those ones are used for illustration of the underlying tech rather than as a final consumer design.
True, but the big ball seems to be required for the visual tracking.

Anyway, if this works as described it can actually completely determine the position in 3D space, something the Wii can't do (even with the addon). Of course it has other problems instead, like line of sight etc.

ShinAmano

Yoschi said:
That looks awful. Who knows, it may be comfortable to hold and control?
I remember people bitching about the GameCube Controller and as soon as they held it they praised it to be the best thing since sliced bread.

I wonder if it has Rumble :lol
not thinking anything specific here :p
Really? I still to this day think the GC controller is horrid...way to small...tolerated it for RE4...but once I was done playing I was happy to pick up my Xbox or PS2 pad.

Also this looks incredible...I mean terrible...terrible :)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Here's an 'alternative embodiment', that's slightly more consumer friendly/wii-mote-ish:

2l9o76t.jpg

I think the design with the big spheres etc. is used to show the underlying workings with the ultrasonic emitters etc.

Also, sorry about the 'link'. I only have my link through search which won't work properly. Is there any way to get a direct link to patents?

They've also filed a seperate, interesting patent for 3D object scanning using pseye.

StuBurns

Banned
The thing is, this won't work unless they throw this wagglewand and a PSeye in the box with every console. The last thing Sony should even be considering is raising the price of entry into their console.

They wanted the hardcore, now cater to them. It's too little too late. I think it looks cool, and could have been interesting, but no one is going to dedicate serious resources into adapting this tech into a triple A title. It's always going to be tacked on/an afterthought.

As utterly fucking stupid as the design is in the patent docs, the technology's interesting -- 3D tracking through ultrasonics. Just please for the love of god, do something else with the physical design :)

Top Bottom