• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WTF: Renting games is forbidden in Belgium starting december 1st

Tieno

Wow, this came totally out of the blue and sucks.
http://www.standaard.be/Artikel/Detail.aspx?artikelId=DMF31102008_013&ref=nieuwsoverzicht

Article says it has always been illegal but it was tolerated, not going to be anymore starting december 1st. On that date no new titles will be added. If you don't have permission of the game publisher judicial steps will be taken. Naturally the game industry is happy.

Gamemania (largest special game retailer in Belgium) says rentals make up 10% of their revenue.

Tain

Lovely. That's awful for you guys.

I'm just starting to rent games again, actually. Dead Space, comin' up!

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
So, out of curiosity, what's the legal standing of renting movies in Belgium? And of libraries?

All I'm finding on the topic through Google is information on real estate rentals and whatnot. Which is actually kind of interesting now that I read it, but it's still not at all what I was looking for.

Don't understand the language on that page so whats the reason behind game rentals being illegal? Something to do with the copys being plain retail versions?

Dascu

What kind of bullshit is this?

Don't understand the language on that page so whats the reason behind game rentals being illegal? Something to do with the copys being plain retail versions?
It doesn't say anything about the reason.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
You can rent games in Belgium? WTF? I've been to tons of stores in Holland, and none of them rented out. Best thing I came across was a small videostore that rented out 10-year old PS2-games.

Google will translate the page from dutch but i couldn't post the link properly.

No reason given but the belgian industry is overjoyed. I can see the games industry in other countries trying the same thing, especially here in the UK.

Danielsan

Can someone inform me about the whole renting process in America, do publishers/developers get payed a small fee for each time a game is rented?

If not than it's just as bad as piracy, only you're paying someone for it.

later

The article says that it was actually forbidden since forever, but they let it be.. Until now.The Belgian Entertainment Association pressed for this.

Haunted

4685f7d6e529a.jpg

We'll accommodate you, Tieno.

RJT

In Portugal you also need the publisher's permission to rent games/movies/whatever. And each movie bought by a rental store costs way more than a normal dvd, because of the special license they need. Which obviously makes sense.

Thats a good thing imo. Renting isn't much better then pirating since the developers see none of this money. And the companys involved are parasites who live on cost of the video game industry.

Steppenwolf said:
Thats a good thing imo. Renting isn't much better then pirating since the developers see none of this money. And the companys involved are parasites who live on cost of the video game industry.
How about renting movies. Or a library?

WinFonda

Steppenwolf said:
Not at all. People who rent games are doing so for a reason - because they can't afford to buy every game they wish to play. Let me tell you, people will still prioritize which games they're going to buy regardless of whether or not they're able to rent. And they're still only going to have so much disposable income to spend on games. It's foolish to think that just because you take away people's options to play games that somehow you'll sell more copies.

Furthermore, the companies who are buying the games to rent people, do have the money to purchase the games, and they purchase games indiscriminately, even the crappy ones. They also buy a lot of games. That money goes to the publisher/developer/etc. So what does banning game rentals do exactly for the gaming industry or any industry? Why not just ban the loan of property, period? That is in essence what Belgium is doing.

jts

...hate me...
I can't rent games here either. I dunno if it's legal or not, there just aren't any places renting them.

How much does a man pay in average for a game rental?
and a woman? j/k

Tieno

Steppenwolf said:
I'm not a charity, I can rent movies (though why bother with cheap movies) and I can loan books and cds and all kinds of other stuff. Should be the same with games.

mio said:
I can't rent games here either. I dunno if it's legal or not, there just aren't any places renting them.

How much does a man pay in average for a game rental?
and a woman? j/k
At gamemania in Belgium it's 6euros for 3 days (360 or PS3 game), 10euros for a week.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Could happen anywhere, pretty much overnight.

What a lot of people think---and is wrong---is that they "own" games. You don't own them, you own a "license to use" or "right to use" LTU/RTU for the software in question. The publishers can simply modify their EULA to preclude transfer of ownership for the license in question and totally kill used sales.

They know this. They also know that they need the dedicated retailers like Gamestop who rely upon used sales to generate their profit margin.

Stalemate until digital distribution becomes king. :)

Crayon

I wish I could help. Maybe we could invade belgium or something. Libertate it into a pile of smoldering rubble.

Who the hades is the guy in your avatar?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Tempy said:
What about doing a licensing deal like with the movie industry?

This could work for rented titles, if not for "used" software. I don't think either camp is forward-thinking enough to develop such a solution, though.

Steppenwolf said:

Well, just know that there's people like me out there, who, on this issue at least, spend much of their time making sure your dreams are crushed forever. The banning of game rentals hurts game sales everywhere its been enacted, without fail, everywhere in the world, everytime. So maybe - just maybe - this time you're right and people will buy more games. Who knows. Who fucking knows. Maybe this one time, right?

Industry lobby groups, once again, run by people who don't know what the fuck they are doing.

Gibb

had that "WTF" moment too when I got up this morning and heard it on the news..

will this spread over the rest of europe?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Came out of the blue? Really? This was known for months. Game Mania has stopped putting up new games for rental for a long time now and by the end of the year they're selling their entire library

It fucking sucks

I think this is good news, if only to stop the achievement/trophy whores who shamelessly rent games like avatar only to boost their gamerscore. Now you've got to buy them like the rest of us. Hehe.

itxaka

Defeatist
Gibb said:
will this spread over the rest of europe?
is wrong

that will be the day I start pirating games and givem them for free in the streets.

Seriously, WTF. Sorry for you guys.

Danielsan said:
Can someone inform me about the whole renting process in America, do publishers/developers get payed a small fee for each time a game is rented?

If not than it's just as bad as piracy, only you're paying someone for it.

No and no i'ts not. Not that lame ass argument again.

koene

Kabouter said:
This is what you get for becoming independent.

Hehe, watch out with those words.

Darunia announced me this news a long time ago. But even now it hits me in the nuts, hard! Especially in times like these, with too many games and too little money in the pocket.

Luckily we can still 'rent' (lend) games to each other.

Raist

Banned
Notorious_Roy said:
How about renting movies. Or a library?

Because there are special deals and agreements for that. Retail versions can't be rented, and vice versa.

For some reason it does not exist for video games, so stores that have games for rent do it illegally. At least in France. Dunno if it's the same in other countries.

There were a few stores that did it some years ago (very rare) and they all were independant stores. You'll never see this kind of offer in Micromania / Game / whatever. And since independant stores are almost dead now, it's highly unlikely to find a store renting games now.

RJT

WTF is the confusion here? Have you ever read a user license for any copyrighted material? Of course you can't rent it, unless you get a special permission.

The game industry is just too immature to get a licensing deal, like the movie industry has. Games are all about that one-day massive sales and cutting the life of old games, while other industries make a ton of money with old books, movies, or whatever. If EA ruled the movie industry, there would be no movies on television, no pay per view, no movie rentals. Just those precious theater tickets.

Danielsan

Outcast2004 said:
No and no i'ts not. Not that lame ass argument again.
How is it a lame ass argument? The company that rents out the games has no real permission to do so, they are making money of the back of the developers. It's practically the same as one person buying a copy in stores uploading a torrent and letting thousands of others download it, or better yet one person buying the game in store, pressing a bunch of bootlegs of it and selling them for his own gain. In both situations the developer and publisher only see money from the initial purchase.

Top Bottom