• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Want to play The Evil Within on PC at a locked 1080p60? No chance. (Eurogamer)

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
OMG I CAN't play the game its not 60fps even though i can lock on 30
I must have everything

Even people saying i'm not buying this game anymore....

Shut up ur not buying it in the first place. If u were interested this technical stuff is not a problem. In the end, its about gameplay and story

Is typing "yo" before "u" too hard? Or "you're"?

I was ready to pull the trigger for the PC version but I can't stand badly optimized ports. I'll buy it when its cheap.

Several pages of drama incoming. Looks like a CPU bottleneck, why not try a 5960X?

My six core 5930K overclocked to 4.6 Ghz drops to 45 fps at 1080p relatively regularly on my GTX 980 (with 16 gigs of DDR4 system ram). I'm not really sure that two more cores is going to get you there when a two core haswell runs it about as well.

Serandur

Something odd is going on with this game CPU-wise. It benefits significantly from Haswell, which is very odd. The 3770K, being Ivy Bridge, is likely to perform much more similarly to the 2600K than the 4770K in this game. Why Haswell is faring so much better, I'm not sure; might be an AVX thing or benefitting greatly from cache bandwidth (where Haswell has a real advantage).

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-The_Evil_Within_-test-evilwithin_proz.jpg

Very weird, I wish some other site would confirm the data by running their own CPU benchmarks, including Ivy Bridge and Nehalem as well.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So not only did Sony and Microsoft pay Bethesda to gimp the PC version, but they gimped their own versions to deflect any kind of speculation that it was their doing!!!

These guys are smooth!

The lack of a constant 60fps sucks but the game is still vastly improved over the console versions. It'll be the last Bethesda game I ever buy at launch though, I think. First and only.

That said, my framerate hovers between 45 and 60, mostly closer to 60.

Unai

The lack of a constant 60fps sucks but the game is still vastly improved over the console versions. It'll be the last Bethesda game I ever buy at launch though, I think. First and only.

That said, my framerate hovers between 45 and 60, mostly closer to 60.

Mine would probably be too, but I hate fluctuating framerate. I'm playing it caped at 40 (120Hz monitor).

Needlecrash

The fact that Rage & Wolfenstein can run at 60FPS using the idTech5 engine and yet The Evil Within is capped at 30FPS is just baffling at this point.

Logy

Neo Member
OMG I CAN't play the game its not 60fps even though i can lock on 30
I must have everything

Even people saying i'm not buying this game anymore....

Shut up ur not buying it in the first place. If u were interested this technical stuff is not a problem. In the end, its about gameplay and story

But the 30fps lock ruins the gameplay...

PetrCobra

Something odd is going on with this game CPU-wise. It benefits significantly from Haswell, which is very odd. The 3770K, being Ivy Bridge, is likely to perform much more similarly to the 2600K than the 4770K in this game. Why Haswell is faring so much better, I'm not sure; might be an AVX thing or benefitting greatly from cache bandwidth (where Haswell has a real advantage).

Very weird, I wish some other site would confirm the data by running their own CPU benchmarks, including Ivy Bridge and Nehalem as well.

Intel told them to do it.

inky

LOL, how could you possibly know? The fact that it doesn't matter to you doesn't mean it's the same for everyone. Some people value performance as much. Even a good game can be a bad experience when the performance is atrocious.

This is a badly optimized game. It should be called out on it, no matter how many hissy fits you throw.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Sounds like something somewhere is broken. They need somebody outside the group with idtech experience to eyeball it.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Maybe my SLI 980's will stand a chance. ;)

My OC 5960k should be the biggest contender for this fight though

Fractal

Banned
Will get this one for cheap some time down the line, preferably by the time when 60 FPS at 1440p can be easily brute forced by hardware...

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
I'm not playing it on PC then, I love Horror games but I'm not buying a PS4 till next year, hopefully the game is also cheap by then.

I'm lost. So you're not playing it on pc because it's not 60fps optimized but you're going to wait till next year to buy a PS4 and the game even tho the PS4 game runs almost sub 20fps at times?

What?

LOL, how could you possibly know? The fact that it doesn't matter to you doesn't mean it's the same for everyone. Some people value performance as much. Even a good game can be a bad experience when the performance is atrocious.

This is a badly optimized game. It should be called out on it, no matter how many hissy fits you throw.
I've played some janky Eastern European games. Still had a good time because the gameplay and story out weight the technical difficulty

Sevenfold

I was desperate to tweak but after messing with *everything* I've settled for big black bars and 30 FPS. Options are why I PC game cough cough.

inky

I'm lost. So you're not playing it on pc because it's not 60fps optimized but you're going to wait till next year to buy a PS4 and the game even tho the PS4 game runs almost sub 20fps at times?

What?

And by then the game is probably going to be cheaper on PC than PS4.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've played some janky Eastern European games. Still had a good time because the gameplay and story out weight the technical difficulty

Sure. YOU did. I hate to break these shocking news to you, but... not everyone is you.

danwarb

It's never good to limit framerates and link underlying game mechanics and physics to the limited frame rate/clock.

It's never good to limit framerates and link underlying game mechanics and physics to the limited frame rate/clock.

I agree, which has nothing to do with the premise of the thread and I am not even sure if it applies to anything in the game.

I also can have a good time with janky games. Is it so wrong I want to have a better time?

Great-God

Banned
My six core 5930K overclocked to 4.6 Ghz drops to 45 fps at 1080p relatively regularly on my GTX 980 (with 16 gigs of DDR4 system ram). I'm not really sure that two more cores is going to get you there when a two core haswell runs it about as well.
Well my i7 4702MQ with HD4600 is gonna do the job until I build a new desktop ;)
Yeah it seems a rather unoptimised (Really bad) port, however you could downsample from insane resolutions!
It's a shame for ID Tech 5, the idea it's based on is great. Tiled resources will do the same anyway...

Mman235

Can't say that PC inexperienced Japanese developer+IDTech 5 (which has had issues even with experienced PC developers)=trainwreck is a surprise to discover.

danwarb

I agree, which has nothing to do with the premise of the thread and I am not even sure if it applies to anything in the game.

That's true for many games, but it's the reason the framerate doesn't scale as it should/could here, and for the annoying stutter in Doom 3.

Well my i7 4702MQ with HD4600 is gonna do the job until I build a new desktop ;)
Yeah it seems a rather unoptimised (Really bad) port, however you could downsample from insane resolutions!
It's a shame for ID Tech 5, the idea it's based on is great. Tiled resources will do the same anyway...

If it were purely CPU limited, sure.

My framerate drops to between 25 and 35 FPS if I down sample from 4K. People's framerates drop when they switch off the black bars too... and that almost certainly isn't anything to do with CPU.

I'm sure based on things I've seen that there are situations where people are CPU limited, but there are definitely also situations in the game where people are GPU limited.

This thing was optimized pretty well for 30 FPS though. It really does hit that target on a wide slice of PCs.

Top Bottom