• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OPINION: Wii U, best console to own in 2014, easily

jorgejjvr

Simply looking at the games out right now:

Super Mario 3D World

Wind Waker HD

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Wonderful 101

Pikmin 3

DK Tropical Freeze

Mario Kart 8

Hyrule Warriors

ZombiU

Lego City Undercover

New Super Mario Bros U

Etc

Plus games still coming out this year:

Bayonetta 2 (plus bayo 1 included)

Captain Toad

Super Smash Bros 4

And knowing the games still on its way:

Splatoon

Yoshi Wooly World

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Miyamoto's projects

Star Fox

Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem

Devil's Third

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse

The Legend of Zelda

Plus all the virtual console games that I won't mention, and the amazing eshop games like Shovel Knight, Armillo, Pushmo World Etc. And I'm sure I'm still missing some games that won't come to my mind right now, and considering these are all exclusives games, games you just simply cannot get anywhere else and are ALL amazing games to top it off. I just don't see how anyone wouldn't want a Wii U by now.

There's also a great price, it's the cheapest of all the consoles, you can easily get one refurbished right now for $200, and you'll probably be able to get one brand new for that price on black Friday. For just simply the amount of content, games and price, I believe it's a must have. Let's also not forget you won't play another dime to play online and that it's the only console that is backwards compatible and the Wii has some amazing games as well

If I didn't have a PS4 this year yet, I'll be missing out on Destiny (for example), but then again I really wouldn't be missing out on anything. But if I didn't have a Wii U, then I'll REALLY feel like I'm missing out on something. Granted I know there's some great games for PS4 next year, I'm not putting it down or anything. But as of now I think Wii U has the best software, and the best killer apps for this year, I don't see anything this year bigger than Smash Bros in sight, and the future line up looks just as exciting. Oh and the game pad is actually very convenient, and a great feature along side Miiverse

Wii U is definitely, in my opinion, the must have console right now. And if you don't own one, you are definitely missing out.

(Of course, if somehow these are not your types of games, and if Nintendo exclusives are not your thing, then that is understandable)

PS: Also, I am specifically talking about this gen, including Wii U, PS4 and Xbone. Again, as far as price, games available, the quality of those titles, and exclusives; I definitely think Wii U takes the cake in those regards as best bang for your buck. All the games released already and those still coming this year make it quite the library, and next year's games look just as good, so there's things to be excited for beyond this year. The fact that all these games can only be played on this console (all pretty much exceptional exclusives) also says a lot, and regardless of whether or not these are your types of games, no one can deny the quality and greatness of these games. Of course, as I already pointed out, if these are not your type of games and do nothing for you then that's understandable and you just simply have a different taste. But as far as thinking with no bias, or fanboyism, and no preference of console, I think that price + games + quality + exclusives = great buy. All of course, my opinion, and I understand and have no problem if you disagree and I understand if Nintendo games are not for you :)

Slixshot

Banned
That's a nice list. Glad I have one. Even more happy that I have a PS4 to play everything else. Maybe I'll buy an xbox one for halo too.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I wouldn't disagree at all.

Funny, I wrote up a whole thread the other day stating something similar; but decided to back away and avoid the shitshow.

As someone who purchases all the gaming systems on Day One, and has a high-end gaming PC; there's no doubt the WiiU has one of the best lineups this year.

As for my Xbone and PS4? Disappointment after disappointment. The only wortwhile games, IMO, have been Titanfall and Ground Zeroes - one which was on PC since the start, and another that's coming to PC probably by the end of the year.

The WiiU has built an incredible library in the last two years - definitely a copetitive lineup.

My reviews from the games I've bought this year:

Mario Kart 8 = 8.5
Smash 3DS = 8.5
WindWaker HD = 8.5
Last of Us Remastered = 8.0
Ground Zeros = 7.5
Titanfall = 7.5
Driveclub = 7.5
Destiny = 6.5
Watch Dogs = 6.0
Hyrule Warriors = 6.0
Elder Scrolls Online = 5.0
PvZ Garden Warfare = 3.0

Haven't played enough:

Bravely Default
Dark Souls 2
Infamous SS
Diablo III ROS

Malio

The output of all 3 'next-gen' consoles has been dismal, but I do agree with you. The perfect setup right now is PC, Wiiu and a PS3.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I have a Wii U, a PS4, a PC, a 3DS and a Vita.

I have pretty much everything I need. Will get an Xbox One eventually for Killer Instinct and MCC.

bigkrev

PC for multi-plats + WiiU + 3DS is the best possible way to game short of getting every device, IMO.

I was going to do this, but sports games are too important to me, and I refuse to ever buy a game needing uPlay again, meaning I need a console if I want to play Ubi games

I like my Wii U and all but there is such a significant amount of pretty great third party games that don't touch the system. Sure Nintendo first party is master class but compared to both the first party of Sony/Microsoft + the third party games I could not see myself getting that system and nothing else.

Oh yeah, this is that guy who said that colorful games only existed on the Nintendo consoles (later redacted and corrected).

PC for multi-plats + WiiU + 3DS is the best possible way to game short of getting every device, IMO.

I gotta have my Japanese games, so Vita and PS4 too, but yeah.

Paz

Wii U killed it this year and the back half of last year, all the major games lived up to the hype and were GOTY material.

Their Wii U lineup is arguably some of the greatest work they have ever done as a company, hit after hit (in terms of quality) and in some ways reminds me of the Dreamcast, though not nearly as dense in terms of release schedule.

It's truly terrifying to me that a company can create software of this quality and still fail in the marketplace, we've entered a strange era where games being great is seemingly meaningless and hype dominates all.

iKhayal18

It has great games, but apart from Zelda, 2015 looks pretty empty for me. We need a Nintendo Direct with more games and release dates NOW. F-Zero, Star Fox, Mario Strikers, Rhythm Tengoku, Advance Wars, Metroid, new IP's like Splatoon. Since we are just getting first party titles, they should put their engines at full power and start making games non-stop.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

This is what I'm doing, and I love it so far. I honestly look at both what's out on the PS4 and the One and whats coming down the pipeline and there's nothing there that I can't find on PC or else find extraordinarily compelling

Grimsen

I'd want to play Mario Kart and possibly Wind Waker, but that's it from the list you posted.

Two games isn't enough fo me to shell out for the console.

Mesoian

Agreed. The PS4 and XBone don't have the libraries to warrant their price of admission thus far, in my opinion. And surprisingly, the software coming out for the WiiU has been pretty consistant in it's greatness.

If you were on the fence about a WiiU, it's probably time to buy one. From Nintendo. Refurbished. For 200 dollars.

Yup. As of today, that's the best gaming solution to go with.

Zalman

I agree. Loving the exclusives they're putting out, and there's a good handful of games to look forward to.

It's hardly opinion. The Wii U has multiple games that could qualify for best in genre (Tropical Freeze, Bayo 2 and W101)

No other consoles have those yet.

phanphare

Banned
agreed

I feel like I lump AAA 3rd party games together the same way some people just lump all of Nintendo's games together but honestly AAA 3rd party games just don't do it for me anymore. Nintendo is my save haven for games that actually excite me.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Wii U killed it this year and the back half of last year, all the major games lived up to the hype and were GOTY material.

Their Wii U lineup is arguably some of the greatest work they have ever done as a company, hit after hit (in terms of quality) and in some ways reminds me of the Dreamcast, though not nearly as dense in terms of release schedule.

It's truly terrifying to me that a company can create software of this quality and still fail in the marketplace, we've entered a strange era where games being great is seemingly meaningless and hype dominates all.

I absolutely agree. It worries me. If Nintendo is doing this much fantastic work and being met with awful financial performance, what lesson are they going to take from that? Hell, what lesson is the industry going to take from that? Hell, what lesson do we maybe have to take from that? Quality doesn't matter?

Been weighing the WiiU option as well and in all honesty those games are appealing more to me for some reason. Bayonetta 2 for sure, but the rest as well. Which is weird since I have no interest in Nintendo 1st party stuff usually.

The games just look fun though. Friends are on PS4, but my heart is screaming WiiU at the moment. Not like I have money though, but if I did.

-MD-

They've got a nice lineup of games now, I'm really going to be looking to pick one up this time next year when Star Fox and Zelda are out.

For Bayonetta 2 alone, absolutely.

I literally bought a Wii U for Bayonetta 2. But my fiancée has been pounding Donkey Kong on it too.

Next year looks like a more interesting year for Wii U overall though, I just wish there wasn't such a huge gap between big releases.

Wii U definitely has the best exclusives, it's just a shame it doesn't have any third party support at all to back it up. PS4 + Wii U FTW (until Quantum Break, then PS4 + Wii U + XBO FTW).

As far as exclusives go, I agree (though the WiiU has been out for a year longer than its competition).
Unfortunately, the lack of 3rd party support is a buzz killer for me.

Its definitely the best second console to own, though.

Edit: dat post history.

Razlo

I'm so happy with my Wii U purchase (since launch). I don't think since SNES has Nintendo put out so many games for their system in such a short time.

Eolz

I'd agree for this year, mostly due to all the titles pushed back to 2015, which will be a pretty tight year, and probably "won" by the PS4.
2013 was the year of the 3ds.

Raw64life

I don't know if I'd say best console in 2014 period, but for all the talk of whether PS4 or Xbone has better exclusives, Wii U has blown them both out of the water this year when it comes to games that are actually exclusive and not games that just "timed exclusive" or "just not on that 1 other console". And I guess factoring in the amount of time I'm going to be spending playing Smash Bros., I'll probably end up spending more time playing my Wii U this year than anything else, and I own a gaming PC, 3DS, Vita, PS3 and PS4.

Top Bottom