• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC : Grand Theft Auto IV, Who's playing it ? And how?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Hi just interest in seeing who's playing GTA IV on the PC, it seems quite a few people are having severe performance issues with it atm and I'm wondering if anyone on here can clarify that ?

AMD 6000 x2 running at 3.0ghz + 8800gt OC everything set to low, no AA & no AF,

2efjeqg.jpg

Proc

I got no monies to double dip into a game I've already played. I would but there are too many new game to buy.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
13 fps with a GTX? How does the 4850/70 fare?

I might buy it, but only if it's 30 or less

lowrider007

Teetris said:
13 fps with a GTX? How does the 4850/70 fare?

I might buy it, but only if it's 30 or less

Sorry it was running on an 8800gt OC, I read the wrong specs, I've now edited my OP, anyway tbh that's still pretty bad performance considering everything is set to low.

outsida

Could it be a CPU thing... I've heard that they recommend a Quad core or Tri core processor. I'm really interested in getting this game for the PC in order to have better visuals and a smoother frame rate.

I seems to be very common. Since the gaming press never made mention of this, I hoping that it is something odd that worked its way into the final release (Securom for instance) and will be patched very quickly. Still very dissapointing since 4870 seemed to getting crushed under even low settings.

ascully

Waiting for mine to unlock on steam, I have a quad core 6600, 4GB Ram and a 8800GTS hopefully I will be able to play it :(

Zenith

Banned
so i looked at the min requirements and it says WinXP SP3. I only have SP2, will that make any difference?

also, reviewers have a hell of a lot to answer for if this as widespread as it seems. did they play it on machines at Rockstar's offices?

edit: apparently no anti-aliasing at all. look at all dem jaggies (max settings too):

GTAIV2008-12-0220-46-11-49.jpg

GTAIV2008-12-0220-47-29-81-1.jpg

shuri

Banned
Zenith said:
so i looked at the min requirements and it says WinXP SP3. I only have SP2, will that make any difference?

also, reviewers have a hell of a lot to answer for if this as widespread as it seems. did they play it on machines at Rockstar's offices?
why arent you just updating to sp3..

Haunted

Zenith said:

Cold blooded. :lol

Console reviews all over again? Oh my.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Darklord said:
GTAIV2008-12-0218-28-39-84.jpg

1.5GB GPU? Wow. 1GB cards are fairly rare. More than that is insane.
I am pretty sure that is the amount of total video memory. I think i have 3 or more Gigs of video memory. I don't really know how it works, but I know my video card only has 2GBs of video memory, and only half of it is addressable, but the total video memory on windows is above 3GB's.

edit: I was waiting for this version. This is sad indeed.

godhandiscen said:
I am pretty sure that is the amount of total video memory. I think i have 3 or more Gigs of video memory. I don't really know how it works, but I know my video card only has 2GBs of video memory, and only half of it is addressable, but the total video memory on windows is above 3GB's.

2gig of video memory? Wtf? What kind of graphics card do you have?

TheExodu5

Banned
lowrider007 said:
Hi just interest in seeing who's playing GTA IV on the PC, it seems quite a few people are having severe performance issues with it atm and I'm wondering if anyone on here can clarify that ?

AMD 6000 x2 running at 3.0ghz + 8800gt OC everything set to low, no AA & no AF,

2efjeqg.jpg

Well other GTAs on PC are horrendous in terms of performance, so it's not surprising. GTA4 on the consoles was awful performance wise as well. Rockstar just can't write a graphics engine for the life of them.

Try playing Bully SE on the PC. I'm running an E6600 @ 3.0GHz, and an 8800GT @710/1000, and the game runs 20-30fps at 1680*1050, maxed. :lol

Hell, if you force 4xAA and 16xAF, even GTASA goes below 60fps on my rig. The Max Payne games are their only PC games with really good PC performance, and I think it's because they weren't made by them (or am I wrong?).

lowrider007

OH dear, just got this in from my home forum,

E6400 @ 3Ghz / GTX260,

Everything low apart from texture quality on med,

qxv5ev.jpg

TBH it doesn't look bad considering it's on low settings but the performance for a core duo @ 3gig with a GTX260 is abysmal, and that's with hardly no action on screen.

godhandiscen said:

I think your talking about RAM which is totally different. I could be wrong..but it seems that's what your referring to.

Haunted

Zenith said:

edit: apparently no anti-aliasing at all. look at all dem jaggies (max settings too):

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b12/Sahlee/GTAIV2008-12-0220-46-11-49.jpg[/QUOTE]
ugh, looks like a console game. :(

lowrider007

Apparently changing the settings from max to min has very little effect on the frame rate for some bizarre reason.

godhandiscen

bigmit3737 said:
I think your talking about RAM which is totally different. I could be wrong..but it seems that's what your referring to.
Yeah, i think it is the total GPU memory plus some RAM. In any case, I will wait for a patch. I am definitely not picking this up on Friday anymore.
Haunted said:
ugh, looks like a console game. :(
I don't know man. I played it on PS3 last time and it looked worse. The console versions look really blurry.
CajoleJuice said:
No scalability?
I bet. The original game was designed with only one performance configuration in mind. I smell a horrible port. :(

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'm going to wait for awhile and see what the mods community will do. By that time the price of the game would've dropped 50% hopefully :lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Err, wow. That does seem really awful. I'm skipping this version for sure.

If a GTX260 is delivering sub-PS3 version performance and visual quality, there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with the game.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Darklord said:
GTAIV2008-12-0218-28-39-84.jpg

1.5GB GPU? Wow. 1GB cards are fairly rare. More than that is insane.
So this number is graphic card memory? This is insane, some 'tr00 g33ks' somewhere else are trying to convince me, that number means full system memory.

godhandiscen

dark10x said:
Err, wow. That does seem really awful. I'm skipping this version for sure.

If a GTX260 is delivering sub-PS3 version performance and visual quality, there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with the game.
It's the new Crysis. :lol
dude said:
So this is about as demanding as Crysis? Oo

Anyone tried it with a 4870 yet?
It looks like it spanks Crysis.
HarryHengst said:
2gig of video memory? Wtf? What kind of graphics card do you have?
There is only one GPU atm with 2GB of video memory. 4870x2.

shuri said:
why arent you just updating to sp3..

Probably has a stolen copy so he can't update.

Wow, I kind of want to get the 360 version of a game over the pc version for the first time in a long time if this is really the case... Hopefully they put out a patch to fix it if it's this bad.

Man this sucks. Think i'm gonna buy it for the xbox then (passed on this initialy because i was waiting for the PC version...)

Darklord

Banned
DrM said:
So this number is graphic card memory? This is insane, some 'tr00 g33ks' somewhere else are trying to convince me, that number means full system memory.

I'm pretty sure the guy who posted that said he had 4Gb ram, 1GB GPU. I can't see why anyone would complain if it needed 1.5GB total to max it out.

Pre-order cancelled. This performance is unreasonable for a PC of today and doesn't represent the minimum required specs at all.

TheExodu5

Banned
dude said:

Far more demanding than Crysis. Crysis looks far better on just High, and on a GTX260 at console resolutions will pull off 40-50+ fps.

lowrider007

Yep I have to say I think this breaths new life into the console versions, I myself didn't bother finishing it on the PS3 because I thought that the PC version would be alot better, I'm glad I didn't sell it now, tbh I think the only way this game is going to play smoothly is by way of brute forcing it a couple of generations of gpu's/cpu's down the road.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Fuck. This thing performs like dogs breakfast on the PS3, and now you're telling me, it's no better on high end PC rigs?

Fuck it. Game sucks anyway.

I guess we should not be surprised. All the GTA3 games really poorly on decent machines at the time they came out too.

Still, this is very disapointing. I played all the GTA3 series on the PC. I was looking forward to this. But I only have a 9600GT, which is only about as fast as that 8800gt in the OP that is getting sub 20fps rates. :(

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
PuppetMaster said:
I guess we should not be surprised. All the GTA3 games really poorly on decent machines at the time they came out too.

Still, this is very disapointing. I played all the GTA3 series on the PC. I was looking forward to this. But I only have a 9600GT, which is only about as fast as that 8800gt in the OP that is getting sub 20fps rates. :(
Actually, the 9600GT is quite a bit slower than the 8800GT. The 9800GT basically IS the 8800GT with a name change. That's it.

big_z

e8400, 4GB of ram and a 9800GTX. was thinking of trading in my unplayed xbox copy for the pc version but it's starting to look like that might not be a very good idea. too bad too... i was hoping the pc version would have a decent framerate.

dude said:

If the posts in this thread are anything to go by, then low settings are more demanding than Crysis very high. Something very bizarre is going on here, if this isn't worked out then it is officially the least optimised PC game in existance.

painey

I didnt even know it was out.. I used to play the PS2 GTA and then a year later when it came out on PC play again with loads of cheats and wacky car downloads and things.. can you still do that in GTA4, and does it have PC Achievements, because cheating will probably bork them :(

My favourite was in GTA3, setting car traction on police cars and ambulances to -100 and then jumping on a cop car, shooting off a round and laughing as the cops would slide around like an ice rink trying to steer, and because the car was ALWAYS sliding they couldnt get out and arrest me.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Damn, this sucks. I won't even bother...

I didn't even know this was out. Will there be mods? If so, a good year complete w/ patches etc. will do this port justice.

Top Bottom