• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs GTAV on XONE - performance analysis

BibiMaghoo

The comparison seems to be legit, but don't take that to mean the XB1 version is as disadvantage elsewhere or in general. Somebody posted a video of the XB1 version and him running around that area. It has patches of foliage like shown in the PS4 version, just much less of it.

I just didn't expect the difference to be so great. I'm not the sharpest eye at spotting little things, but that is obviously worse.

m5QfIhd.png

Holy molly. Last gen vs this gen gap style.

Damn you simply can't hide in Xbox one, online players will find you so easy.

So the PS4 version performs marginally better, has denser foliage, and some additional visual effects like lens flare.

Things in line with what we were expecting.

That said, it looks like both versions are good remasters. People should be happy they are getting a well performing, nice looking end product on both consoles.

The same cannot be said for the technical mess that was AssCreed Unity.

Csa01f2.gif

Thank you R* for no parity! That's how you do it. Just shows what you can do if you put more effort on a platform with extra power. Bravo.

Krakn3Dfx

I find it odd the DF chose not to run a full comparison of the PS4/XB1 versions, even if it took a little extra time to get the PS4, but instead just ran an analysis of the XB1 version without putting it up against the other platform version.

I guess that's one way to avoid all the debates and stuff.

I just didn't expect the difference to be so great. I'm not the sharpest eye at spotting little things, but that is obviously worse.

Makes u wonder if rockstsr got pressure to be at res parity and this was how they did it.

Would 900p leave enough power for grass?

On the plus side.... PC version should be scalable

BibiMaghoo

I find it odd the DF chose not to run a full comparison of the PS4/XB1 versions, even if it took a little extra time to get the PS4, but instead just ran an analysis of the XB1 version without putting it up against the other platform version.

Extra articles, extra clicks. Seems likely.

Makes u wonder if rockstsr got pressure to be at res parity and this was how they did it.

Dropping the res in a game on my laptop from 1080 to 900 yields a noticeable performance benefit if my PC is under strain, so it's possible for sure.

Seanspeed

Banned

They're gonna do a proper comparison article after the analysis of the PS4 version is done.

Quite likely, yes.

-griffy-

Banned

They only had the XB1 version pre-release. They had to purchase the PS4 version on release day (today). They have since updated the article hours ago with the same performances analysis of the PS4 version.

It takes time to play enough of the game, especially one as large and varied as GTAV, to note down all the changes not only from last gen to now, but any differences between the new versions, and to capture matching footage/screenshots to compare and analyze.

That's not going to happen in a matter of hours in one work day. A full comparison will come when they actually have the time to create it.

That's also one way to get more hits. More articles to click on = more clicks.

Edit: More or less

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Easy way to get double clicks. Initial article with Xbox one version, then when the PS4 version comes in do a Vs and get more clicks

They did a PS4-only article for FarCry 4. Pressure to get the articles out as close to launch as possible I guess.

They said they will be running a comparison as soon as they get a PS4 version

we'll be buying the PS4 version on release day along with everyone else. We'll report back with more analysis and some initial comparisons as soon as we can.

They probably just wanted to get initial impressions up for day 1 buyers

AmyS

None of this should come as a surprise.

PS4 GPU has:
~40% more shader/Flops/compute performance (1152 SP vs 768 SP)
Twice the pixel fillrate per clock (32 ROPs vs 16)
Higher texel fillrate (72 texture units vs 48)
And all with the GPU clock being 53 MHz lower than Xbox One's (800 MHz vs 853 MHz)
Plus, the memory bandwdith to support it all 176 GB/sec vs 68 GB/sec, though Xbox One has the high BW ESRAM to help but that memory pool is only 32 MB.

Resolution is the same for both versions, but there's more room to stretch with PS4 GPU. Not that the difference between the two versions truly shows how much more powerful PS4 GPU is, but at least Rockstar took advantage of some of it.

Seanspeed

Banned
Any kind of demanding AA solution beyond what's already being used would likely mitigate the performance gain from dropping the resolution. It's really hard to provide AA coverage to alpha elements like grass.
Maybe. Is adding denser grass really gonna account for the entire power difference, though? I don't think it'd be out of the question if they were willing to put in the effort.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Only goes to show that adhering to the same target resolution and FPS doesn't mean games are the same. Good on Rockstar for actually going to extra mile with the extra power of the PS4's GPU.

Megatron

Or you know, how to get clicks on release day rather than after the fact.

Top Bottom