• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall reach 7 million unique players. [Updated]

It was an amazing game created under a tense situation. Can't wait to see what Respawn does with a proper development cycle and no lawyers breathing down their backs.

Yep, after buying it during a recent sale I can say without a doubt I'll be buying Titanfall 2 day one. They did a great job.

Kill3r7

The game really is amazing. All I could possibly recommend for a sequel is more guns and better graphics.

Here's what I want out of the sequel.

1) A massive Co-op campaign
2) More Titan Chassis
3) Bigger maps that will accommodate 12v12 (assuming you can maintain the same gameplay flow)
4) More game modes (Bring back the original hardpoint mode)
5) Halo 2 like ranking system/matchmaking
6) Improved graphics
7) More weapon variety.

Eh easily manipulated number for so many factors.

They just announced the Deluxe Edition coming out, they are using this as a hype making quote since apparently they are not willing to still talk about the game's lackluster sales

Titanfall looks like a solid game, don't understand why the population has dropped since release.

Although, this is the first time i've seen this Abbie Heppe, i have a little crush. :3

Kill3r7

Eh easily manipulated number for so many factors.

They just announced the Deluxe Edition coming out, they are using this as a hype making quote since apparently they are not willing to still talk about the game's lackluster sales

Have you played the game? What exactly do lackluster sales prove besides that the market did not support it at the same level as WD or Destiny?

Activision released a very similar statement about Destiny.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Titanfall looks like a solid game, don't understand why the population has dropped since release.

uExU2um.jpg

oatmeal

Banned
.... What?

Splitting user base three ways hurt its brand appeal IMO. Having it only on the Bone, rather than 360/PC might have pushed sales on the Bone more. As it was, a lot of people bought for other platforms and didn't see the need to upgrade to the Bone. That's how I see it.

2) More Titan Chassis
3) Bigger maps that will accommodate 12v12 (assuming you can maintain the same gameplay flow)
6) Improved graphics
7) More weapon variety.
I agree with this except I don't think 12v12 is necessary. Its a tense game already. Adding more unique weapons with their own character is a must but it has to be very carefully done so not to break the game. The balance is so good. Not one titan weapon feels over powered IMO and with maybe the exception of the carbine I would say the same about pilot guns.

Although, this is the first time i've seen this Abbie Heppe, i have a little crush. :3

It is a solid game, but they didn't do a good job with making it a game that retained players. The game lacked much in the form of longevity options. No single/coop campain options or play, only a handful of game modes, and an unlock lvl system that a person can causually get everything in a couple weeks?

They have done great job of post release support for it, but really the game launched lacking in content. Other games for full priced offered more options, maps, modes, functions, and included campaigns for SP.

Have you played the game? What exactly do lackluster sales prove besides that the market did not support it at the same level as WD or Destiny?

Activision released a very similar statement about Destiny.

Lackluster sales proves it didn't sell well? Not sure what else needs to be said.

And Destiny we already heard of it's big sales numbers while ago. Titanfall numbers have been kept silent since launch. They are simply trying to put up a big number to make the game seem more impressive to sell the new deluxe edition.

Guevara

Honestly this makes me assume sales numbers were disappointing, like 2 average players per copy means 7M/2 = 3.5M sold or something.

That sure sounds like a lot of people. If we are allowed to share our hopes about Titanfall 2, I would greatly appreciate a single player campaign as I am old and can't keep up with the kids anymore online :(

MS should make it part of the Games With Gold and give it away in December. Loads of people will be buying the console and its a great way of educating people how good Titanfall actually is. Loads of content for it now and plenty of stuff to do. Would make a good idea for when they start to talk about Titanfall 2.

This makes no sense at all considering they've just announced the complete edition. What they should look at doing is adding it to EA Access for a timed but unrestricted trial.

Raide

2) More Titan Chassis
6) Improved graphics
7) More weapon variety.

Nice list. I just hope they don't crack and put a singleplayer mode in it. They need to push on and make the SP/MP really damn good. Make the A.I. good and mix up the variety.

This makes no sense at all considering they've just announced the complete edition. What they should look at doing is adding it to EA Access for a timed but unrestricted trial.

Add the basic version, people will buy the Season Pass if they like it. The Complete Edition is still a risk if people want to try it out first.

Yea I've been having a blast the last few days. They definitely fleshed out the game.

I'm still not springing $30 for those new map packs, though. Call me when they go on sale.

Kill3r7

It is a solid game, but they didn't do a good job with making it a game that retained players. The game lacked much in the form of longevity options. No single/coop campain options or play, only a handful of game modes, and an unlock lvl system that a person can causually get everything in a couple weeks?

They have done great job of post release support for it, but really the game launched lacking in content. Other games for full priced offered more options, maps, modes, functions, and included campaigns for SP.

Lackluster sales proves it didn't sell well? Not sure what else needs to be said.

And Destiny we already heard of it's big sales numbers while ago. Titanfall numbers have been kept silent since launch. They are simply trying to put up a big number to make the game seem more impressive to sell the new deluxe edition.

Not really.

SANTA MONICA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Activision Publishing, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI), announced today that the company sold more than $500 million of Destiny into retail stores and first parties worldwide as of day one, making the game the biggest new video game franchise launch in history.

Activision must be happy with developer Bungie.

The studio’s sci-fi shooter Destiny sold millions and now has 9.5 million registered players. The publisher reiterated that Destiny is the largest launch ever for a new game franchise — although it did not share how many copies it sold.

Kill3r7

500 million that fast is huge sales, lol

You missed the sold to retailers part but yeah I agree. Look I'm not trying to shit on Destiny. I'm approaching 300 hours played on it. However, it's not as though Activision hasn't been obfuscating the sales figures. These companies will continue to move the goal post to achieve their objective.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Best console multiplayer shooter on the planet. I've never played a shooter more in fact. I thought I had played Halo a lot and noticed the highest number of Halo games I had played was Reach at 500 or so. I'm at over 1100 in Titanfall. Which is almost more than Halo 2, Halo 3 and Halo Reach combined for me.

Noobcraft

7 million unique users? Means EA doesn't want to give out actual sales numbers. Even if the number is as high as 5 or 6 million. Sad that a game can sell millions and publishers want to hide the number.
EA doesn't ever share sales numbers. Why does it even matter though?

Unique players statistics needs to die a horrible, horrible death. Another shitty marketing technique. I'm sure Titanfally has sold 3-5 million in total, which is a very impressive number for a new IP either way.

I hope the delux edition comes out on PS4. 2015 ? maybe...There's so much potential with the PS4 big userbase and i actually know a lot of people interested in Titanfall but not an XB1.

Noobcraft

Unique players statistics needs to die a horrible, horrible death. Another shitty marketing technique. I'm sure Titanfally has sold 3-5 million in total, which is a very impressive number for a new IP either way.
Would copies sold somehow be a better statistic when tons of those copies will sit on shelves in stores? For people playing games this statistic is more meaningful. (Except in this case, they had a free weekend of Titanfall on PC so it's pretty much a useless statistic here. Sony did the same thing with Killzone shadowfall saying it had 3m unique players try multiplayer when they had free multiplayer weekends on PSN)

Orayn

Probably? I don't know. If dividing user numbers by 2 isn't a good way to get sales numbers, someone come up with a better ratio.

It's hard to say what the ratio actually is without access to the same data for comparable games. My first instinct is that 2 seems kind of high, I'd want to guess closer to 1.5.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Love the armchair analysts!

Clarification for those who like to assume:

Titanfall has sold well above expectations, both from to us at Respawn and at EA. I actually don't know if there's been a better new IP release at EA in terms of sales... ever?

EA doesn't release sales numbers anymore. We'd love to release them, but we're not the publisher of the game. This was the best we could do for everyone.

This does not mean 7m sold. This means 7m people have played the game. Yes, this means Destiny and probably Watch Dogs have had more more sales and players. This is not at all surprising, or worthy of shame. Everyone is so supremely proud of the game. More successful than we could have imagined. I could also point out that EA has been on a huge upswing in the market, often attributed partially to how well Titanfall has done.

Alright, thats all I can say. You can go about your normal business of assuming the worst. I've got work to do ;)

Burt

Picked it up during the $10 Origin sale a couple weeks ago. Game is really awesome, but the complaints about the lack of content are definitely justified, and that has led to a fairly small playerbase on PC, at least in my experience. Other than that, I think their biggest failing is how they whiffed on making the game a platform for future growth. It sounds like something from a marketing executives point of view, but making strong meta elements goes really far in maintaining and expanding a community. I don't think that the "$15 map pack every three or four months" model really cuts it in the PC space anymore.

Killer

Banned

Titanfall has sold well above expectations, both from to us at Respawn and at EA. I actually don't know if there's been a better new IP release at EA in terms of sales... ever?

EA doesn't release sales numbers anymore. We'd love to release them, but we're not the publisher of the game. This was the best we could do for everyone.

This does not mean 7m sold. This means 7m people have played the game. Yes, this means Destiny and probably Watch Dogs have had more more sales and players. This is not at all surprising, or worthy of shame. Everyone is so supremely proud of the game. More successful than we could have imagined. I could also point out that EA has been on a huge upswing in the market, often attributed partially to how well Titanfall has done.

Alright, thats all I can say. You can go about your normal business of assuming the worst. I've got work to do ;)

There you go, haters!

Elandyll

Banned

Also to be clear ... Are the games that were bundled up for free in the XB1/Kinect bundle counted, or were they "freebees"?

EGM1966

Sounds great but I'm going to have to be cynical on this one. Why not quite sales units instead of a number that is easily skewed by second hand copies, sharing with friends, etc not to mention if they're counting everyone who signed up to try it for free on Origin.

I think it did well for s new IP but it seems likely units sold vs say Destiny and other big titles is a comparison they want to duck and I have to assume the worst as to why.

Jito

Banned
Sounds great but I'm going to have to be cynical on this one. Why not quite sales units instead of a number that is easily skewed by second hand copies, sharing with friends, etc not to mention if they're counting everyone who signed up to try it for free on Origin.

I think it did well for s new IP but it seems likely units sold vs say Destiny and other big titles is a comparison they want to duck and I have to assume the worst as to why.

That's pretty damn cynical even after a Respawn devs pops in the clarify some things. Try reading the thread, or even just a few posts up?

Some posters will never let go of the TitanFall flop talking point, not matter what everyone involved actually has to say on the matter. It sold well enough to get a sequel, and that's all that really matters in the end, right? More good games?

Also to be clear ... Are the games that were bundled up for free in the XB1/Kinect bundle counted, or were they "freebees"?

I'm sure EA just gave MS millions of download codes and disc copies for free just so they could be totes besties.

Kolgar

Well deserved. It's in my top 5 games of all time and it is my most-loved online shooter ever.

I bought it for PC, 360, and just recently, for Xbox One.

As an aside, the 360 game is a technical marvel and likely the product of voodoo magic. It looks and plays absolutely faithful to the other versions.

keit4

Banned

Thanks for the clarification and congratulations!

Btw, i love how people stopped posting after this comment. It's like they are not "concerned" anymore :)

Top Bottom